ImageImageImage

Sign & Trade Won't Die \ Cap Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,950

Re: Sign & Trade Won't Die \ Cap Thread 

Post#61 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:16 am

williambh3 wrote:
williambh3 wrote:This is some fantastic cappery folks. As for possible targets, is jamychal still out there? Probably hinges on that guy who hasnt decided yet

Not that i have a problem with beal and capela :D

Jamychal's still available AFAIK. We have up to $10.8M to offer him.
williambh3
Junior
And1: 203

Post#62 » by williambh3 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:19 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
williambh3 wrote:
williambh3 wrote:This is some fantastic cappery folks. As for possible targets, is jamychal still out there? Probably hinges on that guy who hasnt decided yet

Not that i have a problem with beal and capela :D

Jamychal's still available AFAIK. We have up to $11.3M to offer him.

Could be a nice 2 year deal, team option the second? Depending on what his market is
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#63 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:23 am

NOTE: My calculations are based on the old estimated figures and not the actual ones that came out just before FA began. So some adjustments are needed. Numbers could be off a bit.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,425

Re: Sign & Trade Won't Die Thread 

Post#64 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:06 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I don't think the Morris scenario as a separate trade works - with Terry's full contract, Morris' hold and Kanter, you run out of room.

Renounce all but Terry, Theis, Morris and keep Baynes salary gets me to :
1. $9.85 (adjust by 1 non-roster hold maybe).
2. Sign Terry to $17.9 takes you down to $1.2M.
You have no room to sign Kanter before trading Rozier and taking back Kemba and going over the cap, right?

Unless it's all in one big old trade. For instance.

Sign Morris to $11M, sign Langford, wait 30 days....

BOS: Morris, Langford, Rozier, Yabusele, Baynes ($40.9M) => Enough to bring Kemba (32.7) and Turner ($18M) back.
IND: Turner for Morris, Langford, Yabusele, MIL 2020. Numbers match almost exactly, so no problem
CHA/PHO: you know.

Maybe we throw in another pick, say BOS 2021? Pretty good deal for Indiana if they wanna go Goga and get the IU guy, and Morris for now. Not sure if Morris would like IND, but he'd like the $. Made a little more sense for them pre-Lamb, but still could now.

Anywho, there are some scenarios out there. But, I don't see how you can do it with Morris as a separate trade.

Or do you still get to use the room exception on Kanter if you're $1 below?

Room exception doesn't count against the cap space.

I hate when you type the whole post, hit submit, then turn your brain on.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:08 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Image

Mathematically possible because of our cap space:
Getting Kemba, Beal, Capela
Losing Smart, Brown, S&T'd Morris, S&T'd Rozier, Baynes, Yabusele, Williams OR Ojeleye, at least 3 1st round picks

TRADE 1:
WAS gets Brown, Smart, Yabusele, Williams, 2020 MEM 1st, 2020 MIL 1st
CHA gets Rozier
BOS gets Beal, Kemba, Edwards (32nd pick)
PHO gets Baynes, 24th pick

TRADE 2:
HOU gets Morris, 2020 BOS 1st
BOS gets Capela

Kemba / Beal / Tatum / Hayward / Capela*
Edwards / Langford / Ojeleye / G.Williams / Kanter
vet PG / vet SG /vet SF / Theis

*Capela or Myles Turner

Tax team but below the apron by $3.6M. Hard-capped.

Forget this scenario. I just tried if it was mathematically possible. IT IS! But 0.00000000001% chance of happening lol.

Solid work. I appreciate that you thru the asterisk in for me.
Also, I can't believe you traded Smart.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:37 am

Crazy thought. What if we use this basis to absorb a bad contract from CHA? Would they kick in anything decent?

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M
2. Sign Terry to $17.9 takes you down to ~$10.4M.

S&T Terry, ($17.9), Baynes ($5.4), Yabu ($3.1M) => $26.4M + $10.4M cap => $36.8M
To take back Kemba and take back MKG, we need to send out $36.4M. Boom!

What would CHA throw in to get Terry & save $10M by having Yabu instead of MKG? First rounder? Hernangomez for Semi swap?

Solves the need for a 4th team. Gets a tradeable salary at the deadline. Or backup wing if we trade someone else.

Great defender. Still only 25. Perfect shooting form. Handled being out of the rotation well. Just had surgery to repair a chronic groin stain. Only one of those things is a lie.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:44 am

djFan71 wrote:Crazy thought. What if we use this basis to absorb a bad contract from CHA? Would they kick in anything decent?

1. Renounce Morris: $19M

S&T Terry, ($17.9), Baynes ($5.4), Yabu ($3.1M) => $26.4M + $10.4M cap => $36.8M

What would CHA throw in to get Terry & save $10M by having Yabu instead of MKG? First rounder? Hernangomez for Semi swap?

Solves the need for a 4th team. Gets a tradeable salary at the deadline. Or backup wing if we trade someone else.

Great defender. Still only 25. Perfect shooting form. Handled being out of the rotation well. Just had surgery to repair a chronic groin stain. Only one of those things is a lie.

Even if we just get a couple 2nds, I think I like it better than paying assets to a 4th team for Yabu and keeping Morris.

Kemba, Smart, Edwards
Brown, Tatum, Hayward, MKG, Langford, Semi
RWIII, Kanter, GWill
2 spots left for vet mins, Tacko, Waters, whoever.

Or Hernangomez instead of Semi.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:14 am

BTW, the longer it goes without Morris getting a contract, the more I think we have something going with him. Possibly a trade, if not, just max out the resign money. We'll see after the Kawhi decision.

If Mook wants to join Kyrie, we can sign him for up to $9.68 and they can send Joe Harris back. And unsigned... Nic Claxton!
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#69 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:22 am

djFan71 wrote:BTW, the longer it goes without Morris getting a contract, the more I think we have something going with him. Possibly a trade, if not, just max out the resign money. We'll see after the Kawhi decision.

If Mook wants to join Kyrie, we can sign him for up to $9.68 and they can send Joe Harris back. And unsigned... Nic Claxton!

I wasn't on board with much of anything in this thread until you said we can trade Marcus Morris. I can't see why the nets would send a better player AND a recent draft pick back for bumass Morris, though.

He's the last guy left of the death culture I hope they can fully purge.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#70 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:34 am

djFan71 wrote:Crazy thought. What if we use this basis to absorb a bad contract from CHA? Would they kick in anything decent?

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

That would give us, what, $122 million in salary, plus whatever we pay Theis? We’d drop under the tax line and have the flexibility to make in-season trades..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:42 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

That would give us, what, $122 million in salary, plus whatever we pay Theis? We’d drop under the tax line and have the flexibility to make in-season trades..

Yeah, roughly. Figure Edwards @ $0.9M, vet min @$1.6M, Theis @ $4M???? on top of that $122M, you're at $129-130M range. So, some wiggle room, but not a ton under the cap. We'd be hard capped at the apron due to the S&T, as well.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:44 am

djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

Yeah, roughly. Figure Edwards @ $0.9M, vet min @$1.6M, Theis @ $4M???? on top of that $122M, you're at $129-130M range. So, some wiggle room, but not a ton under the cap. We'd be hard capped at the apron due to the S&T, as well.

We may not do the vet min, though. MKG, Edwards and Theis gest us to 14, so we may just roll with that and have a little more room.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:47 am

djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

One last thing may screw this tho..... Not sure if we can add the $104. in cap space like that. One of my last unanswered questions. But, i think you can. If not, you'd have to sign Mook for that money and dual S&T him and Terry to CHA, which probably is a no go. :(
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,218

Re: Sign & Trade Won't Die Thread 

Post#74 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:35 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Got it - misread one of the earlier posts - but what about Kemba’s BYC?

Only a problem for Charlotte. But they can accept salary back up to the range of 125% of Kemba's old salary (plus $100K), if they're willing to in the face of other financial concerns (e.g. luxury tax).
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:36 am

djFan71 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

We may not do the vet min, though. MKG, Edwards and Theis gets us to 14, so we may just roll with that and have a little more room.

Eh, scratch that too. I had Yabu in there when I was counting, but he'd be gone. So we would go vet min. This 14 man roster:

Kemba, Smart, Edwards
Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Langford, Semi
RWIII, Kanter, GWill, Theis
MKG, Vet Min

Costs ~$126M if Theis is at $4M.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:44 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
djFan71 wrote:BTW, the longer it goes without Morris getting a contract, the more I think we have something going with him. Possibly a trade, if not, just max out the resign money. We'll see after the Kawhi decision.

I wasn't on board with much of anything in this thread until you said we can trade Marcus Morris. I can't see why the nets would send a better player AND a recent draft pick back for bumass Morris, though.

He's the last guy left of the death culture I hope they can fully purge.

Claxton was my guy in the draft, so I was just throwing that in for fun. I wouldn't expect him at all, or any of this, really. But, heck if Kyrie & KD will take less money to get DAJ there when they already have Allen, who knows what they do to get Mook?

<kyriemookhug.jpg>
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#77 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:55 am

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

We could take Kemba + MKG + 1st or could settle for Kemba + Cody Zeller. Either works, math-wise.

We get our starting center. Cody's only 27 when season starts. Maybe we can revive his career a bit. Perfect PnR partner for Kemba and Gordon. An RPM darling not too long ago (6th among centers in 2016-17) before injuries hit.

Salary ballast for trade midseason or offseason.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#78 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:16 am

It does sure like Mook, a Klutch client, is waiting for whatever happens with the Kawhi situation. He could end up with the Clippers or Lakers. They may not need to deal with us since either could still have cap space, post-Kawhi decision. If Mook has another team in mind, then S&T is a possibility.

Morris trade could be independent of CHA-BOS-PHO trade bringing Kemba to Boston. I think we can take back more salary if those two trades are separate depending on the salary figure. With Theis cap hold retained, Mook's salary can go up to as much as $11,308,480.00 if no BYC. Past that number, BYC is triggered. Max amount of incoming salary dependent on his outgoing salary (either full or 50%, if BYC).

I think Nets have 11 players right now including Kyrie, KD, DAJ, and Temple. More likely they go for minimum vets to fill out the roster instead. You never know though.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:20 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

It does sure like Mook, a Klutch client, is waiting for whatever happens with the Kawhi situation. He could end up with the Clippers or Lakers. They may not need to deal with us since either could still have cap space, post-Kawhi decision. If Mook has another team in mind, then S&T is a possibility.

Morris trade could be independent of CHA-BOS-PHO trade bringing Kemba to Boston. I think we can take back more salary if those two trades are separate depending on the salary figure. With Theis cap hold retained, Mook's salary can go up to as much as $11,308,480.00 if no BYC. Past that number, BYC is triggered. Max amount of incoming salary dependent on his outgoing salary (either full or 50%, if BYC).

I think Nets have 11 players right now including Kyrie, KD, DAJ, and Temple. More likely they go for minimum vets to fill out the roster instead. You never know though.

I don’t even mind rescinding Theis if need be. Like him, and he knows what’s expected, but ultimately replaceable.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by djFan71 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:25 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Renounce Morris.
1. ~$19M

We could take Kemba + MKG + 1st or could settle for Kemba + Cody Zeller. Either works, math-wise.

We get our starting center. Cody's only 27 when season starts. Maybe we can revive his career a bit. Perfect PnR partner for Kemba and Gordon. An RPM darling not too long ago (6th among centers in 2016-17) before injuries hit.

Salary ballast for trade midseason or offseason.

I looked at Zeller and even Williams if we added Semi or something, but wasn’t really sure of CHA plans for them. I know mkg fell out of the rotation so figured it’d be easier to get him and they’d be willing to sweeten a tiny bit to save $10M. Not expecting much. Zeller would work too if they’d prefer. The main thing for me is avoid needing a 4th team and get the contract for later.

Return to Boston Celtics