ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,452

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#61 » by TheMartian » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:22 pm

playa-hater wrote:Who of these 2nd tier PGs would you want Boston to take if available.

Kira Lewis - 6'3 said to be the fastest, with good on ball defense, creating and shooting..

Cole Anthony - 6'3 - perhaps the best scorer and former Top talent who had a underwhelming year of college.

3 - R J Hampton
- 6'5 known for his height speed combination. Is said to be good at everything but not special at anything.

4 Tyler Terry - 6'2 - is or should be considered the best shooting PG in the class. Probably the weakest of this 4 on defense.

rank them if you want.

Ranked in order of preference:

1. Kira Lewis Jr.
2. RJ Hampton
3. Tyrell Terry
4. Cole Anthony
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,595

Post#62 » by snowman » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:36 pm

I have said all along, in looking at the way the league is going, @ 14, we need another wing, as a Hayward replacement when he is gone and as Langford insurance, and as a bench scorer. We can get the point we need at 26 and the big at 30.

14 - Saddiq Bey
26 - Tre Jones
30 - Daniel Oturu
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#63 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:22 pm

The more I think about it, the more I want Poku at 14
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,824

Post#64 » by flintsky21 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:34 pm

The number of mock drafts having the Celtics pick Pokusevski is concerning. But DA passed on Bender, so I'll trust him on passing on Poku at 14.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#65 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:47 pm

flintsky21 wrote:The number of mock drafts having the Celtics pick Pokusevski is concerning. But DA passed on Bender, so I'll trust him on passing on Poku at 14.

Danny has never had much luck with Euros, his two most recent busting out of the league. I don't see him dialing up a guy like Poku..
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:18 pm

flintsky21 wrote:The number of mock drafts having the Celtics pick Pokusevski is concerning. But DA passed on Bender, so I'll trust him on passing on Poku at 14.

Poku isnt Bender. He can actually play.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#67 » by TommyPointGawd » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:27 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:I think I'd rather have 3 shots at this draft than trading up for 1.

With no personal workouts and a limited amount of tape to study I don't think anyone can have much more than a guess based on tape than they could before.

The Celtics have a habit of grading some players higher than the norm but I think that's due to our private workouts highlighting different things than other teams...

It just seem in a year with no information you're more likely to have a lot of "uh oh he should have been drafted a lot higher than he was" this year than any other.

This is a good draft to have 3 rolls of the dice. The current roster can't support 3 more rookies though

Why?

Are Semi, Poirer, Green, Waters, Fall, Edwards all essential?

No they aren't and that is the problem. We a trying to get championships right now. Trying to develop 5 players simultaneously is difficulty while trying to make deep playoffs runs. It's rare that a rookie is going to step in and play a critical role on contending team. It's not impossible though(Herro).
That's why I pointed out the conflict. Normally this is the perfect draft to take 3 swings. But for the Celtics circumstance I think it's better to consolidate the picks and get some vets for bench help.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,916

Post#68 » by Kalela » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:31 pm

threrf23 wrote:
I'm taking Markus Howard over any of these guys if I can, b/c from an analytical perspective, he seems almost a lock to become one of the greatest three point shooters in NBA history. To me, that in and of itself gives him a high floor as far as his value is concerned.

The shooting ability is nice but he is 5'10" or close to that. Not sure you want another tiny scorer on this team after all these years of having tiny scorers struggle in the playoffs.

playa-hater wrote:Who of these 2nd tier PGs would you want Boston to take if available.

Kira Lewis - 6'3 said to be the fastest, with good on ball defense, creating and shooting..

Cole Anthony - 6'3 - perhaps the best scorer and former Top talent who had a underwhelming year of college.

3 - R J Hampton
- 6'5 known for his height speed combination. Is said to be good at everything but not special at anything.

4 Tyler Terry - 6'2 - is or should be considered the best shooting PG in the class. Probably the weakest of this 4 on defense.

rank them if you want.

Hampton is the only guy I would be okay with in this list. I like Lewis too but I hate how he avoids contact when he drives to the basket. He needs to get stronger and he needs to learn to go into the body of the defender. I guess I would be okay with Lewis too. I don't like the other two at all.
Fire Mazzulla
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,452

Post#69 » by TheMartian » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:53 pm

Based on the latest mock draft in nbadraft.net, they have us picking:

#14 Jalen Smith
#26 Jahmi'us Ramsey
#30 Daniel Oturu
#47 Grant Riller

So that's 2 bigs and 2 guards.

I was intrigued by the Riller pick at 47, especially since he hasn't been mentioned in this draft thread yet, so I decided to check out some of his scouting vids. Honestly, I liked what I saw. 3-level scorer, one of the best scoring guards in this draft. Good size at 6'3" 190 lbs. Breaks the zone pretty easily as he can dribble through traffic and constantly attacks the rim. Downside is age, and effort on the defensive end.

I'd be happy if we could get at least 3 of these players out of our 4 draft picks in this draft to replace Green, Semi, Poirier, Edwards, Wanamaker:

Kira Lewis Jr.
Jalen Smith
Saddiq Bey
Precious Achiuwa
Tyler Bey
Paul Reed
RJ Hampton
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Grant Riller
Desmond Bane

I don't think this is the draft where DA needs to consolidate his picks to move up, so I'm hoping DA could nail some of these picks and help shore up our bench.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#70 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:59 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
This is a good draft to have 3 rolls of the dice. The current roster can't support 3 more rookies though

Why?

No they aren't and that is the problem. We a trying to get championships right now. Trying to develop 5 players simultaneously is difficulty while trying to make deep playoffs runs. It's rare that a rookie is going to step in and play a critical role on contending team. It's not impossible though(Herro).
That's why I pointed out the conflict. Normally this is the perfect draft to take 3 swings. But for the Celtics circumstance I think it's better to consolidate the picks and get some vets for bench help.

I was thinking this way, until I was told Tatum is 22 and Brown is 23.

It may be in the franchise's best interest to try and develop players right now and put this team in the best position it can be when Tatum is in his prime so we can try to stop him demanding to be traded to the Lakers so he can live out his Kobe fantasy.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#71 » by 100proof » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want Poku at 14

Your phone autocorrected "Drink" with "Think"
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#72 » by 100proof » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:05 pm

TheMartian wrote:Based on the latest mock draft in nbadraft.net, they have us picking:

#14 Jalen Smith
#26 Jahmi'us Ramsey
#30 Daniel Oturu
#47 Grant Riller

So that's 2 bigs and 2 guards.

I was intrigued by the Riller pick at 47, especially since he hasn't been mentioned in this draft thread yet, so I decided to check out some of his scouting vids. Honestly, I liked what I saw. 3-level scorer, one of the best scoring guards in this draft. Good size at 6'3" 190 lbs. Breaks the zone pretty easily as he can dribble through traffic and constantly attacks the rim. Downside is age, and effort on the defensive end.

I'd be happy if we could get at least 3 of these players out of our 4 draft picks in this draft to replace Green, Semi, Poirier, Edwards, Wanamaker:

Kira Lewis Jr.
Jalen Smith
Saddiq Bey
Precious Achiuwa
Tyler Bey
Paul Reed
RJ Hampton
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Grant Riller
Desmond Bane

I don't think this is the draft where DA needs to consolidate his picks to move up, so I'm hoping DA could nail some of these picks and help shore up our bench.

I would be happy with Jalen Smith and Jahmius Ramsey. Very Happy.

A young Turner-esc player and a scorer off the bench.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,330

Post#73 » by TheSheriff » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:06 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

And the 14 pick isn’t the third pick.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,523

Post#74 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:45 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

TBD
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:55 pm

100proof wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want Poku at 14

Your phone autocorrected "Drink" with "Think"

There are only a handful of people in this world with his combination of size, fluidity and basketball IQ. Rather swing for the fences than pick another guard that wont beat out Wanamaker for minutes.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#76 » by JHTruth » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:56 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Why?

It may be in the franchise's best interest to try and develop players right now and put this team in the best position it can be when Tatum is in his prime so we can try to stop him demanding to be traded to the Lakers so he can live out his Kobe fantasy.

We're taking proven college guys. We can't afford to take flyers on euros or americans playing in Australia at this point. Need guys that can help within the next 2 years. Hence HAli and Bane (A 4-year college player that might be able to jump in almost immediately).
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,288

Post#77 » by playa-hater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

3 - R J Hampton

rank them if you want.

1. Terry:

Pros: He is a guy that ideally if everything pans out, you can plug him alongside Tatum and Brown and he will be money. Truly is a sharpshooter. Might take a year or 2 to get to the level of a sharpshooter on the NBA level, will need some small tweaks to consistently get his shot off against NBA defenders. Underrated amount of wiggle with the ball in his hands. Not necessarily a guy that can get to the basket at will, but can create space on the perimeter pretty damn well.

Cons: Is pretty damn small and not an A+ athlete. Not the best facilitator and wasnt a great defender on the college level. Could see him getting abused defensively and if that shot doesnt fall consistently, could just be another tiny 6 foot shooter who does nothing else (G League is filled with those guys).

2. Lewis:
Pros: Extremely quick. Solid shooting numbers, solid form on his jumper, solid facilitator. Should have good potential as a 1-2 defender.

Cons: Skinny as can be and doubt he ever becomes a versatile defender because of this and solid size but not great size. Solid for on his jumper but very inconsistent with it. More of a combo guard than PG at the moment. So not the ideal fit to go alongside Tatum/Brown

3. RJ:
Pros: High potential combo guard. Has all the tools you want in the combo guard. The shooting numbers arent there yet but has solid form with his jumper, nothing broken about it. Good size as well.

Cons: I think is a horrible fit alongside Tatum/Brown. Is a pretty ball dominant player, while he is a solid passer, he is a score first kind of guy. He looked really bad in Australia last year, really didnt do much well except look athletic. He has a ways to go and no guarantee he gets there.

4. Cole:
Pros: If youre looking for a guy that might be the next Jamal Murray Cole is your guy (in a smaller body). Cole's shooting was very inconsistent, but I think that has more to do with just adjusting to the size and speed of college. He will need an adjustment time in the NBA as well, but the dude was a lights out shooter in high school and can see that returning. When he is on, boy is he on. Can light you up wherever on the court.

Cons: He is a small 6'2 score first combo guard. If his shot isnt falling, what does he bring to the table? Very poor fit alongside Tatum/Brown. Was a very poor finisher at the rim in college, can be a solid passer but is far from a natural facilitator and turns it over a lot. How long will it take for him to adjust his jumper to the NBA level and will it ever be consistent?

don't agree with all your rankings but love the write up..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#78 » by playa-hater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:02 pm

TheMartian wrote:

3 - R J Hampton

rank them if you want.

Ranked in order of preference:

1. Kira Lewis Jr.
2. RJ Hampton
3. Tyrell Terry
4. Cole Anthony

for the record KLJ and RJ are running neck and neck for me.. hoping you guys would convince me of on over the other. the rest is the same as mine.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#79 » by playa-hater » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:09 pm

mdemers938 wrote:I think Obi Toppin could be the best player in this draft.

Ironically I feel he may be the one to slip to or past 10th pick.. Love his offense, hate his lack of defense.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#80 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:10 pm

JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:

We're taking proven college guys. We can't afford to take flyers on euros or americans playing in Australia at this point. Need guys that can help within the next 2 years. Hence HAli and Bane (A 4-year college player that might be able to jump in almost immediately).

doesn't matter where they come from. Just take the most talented player still on the board. This isn't rocket science but these horrible G.M.s sure make it seem like it is on draft night. At least in Europe they play against grown men with professional coaches and staff. College, for one or two years, isn't the same type of experience that it used to be when kids played in college all four years. Heck, even these Academies that guys like Anfernee Simons and Mitchell Robinson do a better job of preparing prospects than college can. These kids go to college, play with other kids, for coaches that are better recruiters than coaches, and leave essentially the same player they were when they arrives, a year later. The college model, as it pertains to NBA prospects, has largely been made obsolete at this point now that Europe, Australia, IMG Academy and the new G-League rules. Expect less and less of these kids to go to college from this point forward.

Return to Boston Celtics