ImageImageImage

Grant Williams Thread

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,429

Re: Shout out to Grant Williams 

Post#61 » by 31to6 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:14 pm

so last year a lot of us dedicated an enormous amount of time and mental energy in pursuit of a 3/4 along the lines of Aaron Gordon or Harrison Barnes. I'm not saying he's at all the same caliber of player as those guys, but has Grant pretty much filled that role?

My thought with that last year was that 'we need to get Semi the **** off of the floor' and didn't have anyone in the pipeline to fill that role, since Romeo and Nesmith are identically 2/3s.

My impression is that Grant has become a 3/4 more than a 4/5, but do the #s actually back that up?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,257

Post#62 » by playa-hater » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:37 pm

31to6 wrote:so last year a lot of us dedicated an enormous amount of time and mental energy in pursuit of a 3/4 along the lines of Aaron Gordon or Harrison Barnes. I'm not saying he's at all the same caliber of player as those guys, but has Grant pretty much filled that role?

My thought with that last year was that 'we need to get Semi the **** off of the floor' and didn't have anyone in the pipeline to fill that role, since Romeo and Nesmith are identically 2/3s.

My impression is that Grant has become a 3/4 more than a 4/5, but do the #s actually back that up?

Not in my wildest drug induced fantasy will I see Grant as a 3 (offensively speaking) But there has never been a player, EVER, that I disliked (basketball wise) that after some time I have learned to appreciate and like. I know what I like and what I don't. But Grant may be the first to do it.. Mainly due to his solid shooting. He does try to do all the "glue things" a team needs. At times he can "switch" all 5 positions, though I do think he is not always a good defender. He can be foul prone as well.

With all that said, his current trajectory of improvement has me feeling very optimistic that maybe, just maybe he may turn into a "rotational stud"

** still hate to see him at center though.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#63 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:43 pm

31to6 wrote:so last year a lot of us dedicated an enormous amount of time and mental energy in pursuit of a 3/4 along the lines of Aaron Gordon or Harrison Barnes. I'm not saying he's at all the same caliber of player as those guys, but has Grant pretty much filled that role?

I think he’s just as much of a 3 as he is a 4, at this point. See how hard defenses are closing out on him now? Grant has regularly been making defenses pay off the dribble attacking close outs, I did not see that coming.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,221

Post#64 » by Dogen » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:56 pm

Nice to see Grant becoming more bullish; it's going to be contract extension talk time soon if he keeps this up.

It's also good to remember that Grant just turned 23 a week ago. There's still upside to go as he matures, although he seems to be mature beyond his years already.

I still keep track of the guys Danny didn't take in that draft. I liked Grant at 22, but the C's could have kept #20 and taken Brandon Clarke. Brandon was a human pogo stick from day one, and nice around the basket, but if you look at both player's stats over the past 2+ years, you see they are going in different trajectories.

Grant's shooting in particular is revelatory: he went from missing his first 25 3pt attempts to being one of the league's very best so far this year (#10/43.2%)

Dude's either a keeper or someone you are reluctant to give up in a big trade. I'm sure he'll get a decent offer for an extension.
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,355

Post#65 » by bisme37 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:02 pm

Grant Williams

Boston Celtics big Grant Williams and Philadelphia 76ers guard Seth Curry are the only players in the 50-40-90 club from the field, three-point line and free-throw line so far this season.

While it’s not surprising to see someone named Curry shooting so well, it’s more surprising to see Williams on the list. Williams is averaging 1.37 points per possession when shooting off the catch, per Synergy, which ranks in the 95th percentile. Among those who have as many attempts, only four players are shooting better on catch-and-shoot jumpers.

But what’s most exciting is how much his three-point shooting is opening up the rest of his offensive game. Now that defenders have to guard him on the perimeter, he can use sweet pump fakes to fool his defender before driving to the basket for nifty floaters like this one against the Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 4:

Read on Twitter

Williams has improved as a shooter, indeed, but he is also 9-for-12 (75.0 percent) when cutting to the basket. Overall, he is shooting comically well near the basket, connecting on 22-for-26 (84.6 percent) of looks at the rim. That is the best mark among anyone in the league who has as many attempts in that zone.

He is doing nearly all of his damage from the restricted area or from the corners on the perimeter and his shot selection profile has been solid all season long.

On the other end of the floor, he is also an intriguing player on defense. Statistically speaking, based on a metric created by BBall-Index.com, Williams is actually one of the most versatile defenders in the league. While he is a frontcourt player, he is defending guards for more than one-third of his defensive possessions.

During the three games that the Celtics have played against the Toronto Raptors, Williams has defended the 6-foot-1 guard Fred VanVleet (who is in the midst of an All-Star campaign) for nearly 20 defensive possessions. When Boston faced Toronto on Nov. 28, during the two minutes that Williams was matched up on VanVleet, the Raptors star had two attempts from the field – both were three-pointers off the dribble on high pick and rolls – and he missed them both.

However, Boston is also using him on defense against talented bigs like Evan Mobley, Christian Wood and Julius Randle.

Williams defended Mobley, the lengthy 6-foot-11 Cleveland Cavaliers big man and Rookie of the Year hopeful, for approximately 30 defensive possessions over the course of two games. He got his hand in his face to contest a three-pointer and he also gave him fits while defending him in the pick and roll.

He is a versatile, low-usage floor spacer in the frontcourt and that makes him essential to the Celtics.

I don't know why I pasted this entire thing rather than just linking it but there ya go. Good article imo. Go Grant.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-news-stats-cole-anthony-grant-williams-javale-mcgee/
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#66 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:17 pm

I don't care about metrics or stats. I have eyes. I see defensive indifference like Jaylen Brown gets, due to teams doubling Tatum and focusing on Horford and Williams in the PnR. This gets him a few wide open stressless threes, usually from the corner. Kudos to him for hitting them. But let's not pretend he's only a few game cold streak from shooting in the low 30s. And he's almost completely dependent on others for shots. As far defense, I'm sorry, but he's barely average. He's putting up a whopping 7-3-3 in 20 mpg and he has a thread about him?! He's a complimentary #7 or #8. An undersized 4 with versatility to play the 3 and 5 against scrubs. Just because he HAS been on guards due to our switching doesn't mean he's not a liability. If Grant WIlliams wasn't a JAG, we'd be a much better team no? Is Grant WIlliams actively hurting us? I'm not sure I'd go that far, but he's certainly not a natural 4 and I think we'd be much better off putting Tatum at the 4 and giving Nesmith or Langford minutes at the 2 instead.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,623

Post#67 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:43 am

Read on Twitter

Now 7th in 3FG% among 88 players who have taken at least 80 catch-and-shoot threes. He's the lone big in the top 10.
Now 2nd in 3FG% among 79 players who have taken at least 30 corner threes. Only FVV is ahead of him.

He brings more to the table on both ends than just his shooting. Ime might need to consider moving him to the starting lineup in place of Horford, who can bring stability to the bench and is a better pairing for Schroder.

Read on Twitter
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#68 » by ballup » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:And he's almost completely dependent on others for shots. As far defense, I'm sorry, but he's barely average. He's a complimentary #7 or #8.

Which is what this team has needed and what good teams need in general? Are we trying to build a team full of Schroeders? Defensively sound players who can hit the three are valuable in today's game.

BostonCouchGM wrote:I don't care about metrics or stats. I have eyes........

He's putting up a whopping 7-3-3 in 20 mpg and he has a thread about him?!

Way to go there champ. This is a sports forum. Expect in depth threads for player currently on the team.

And before you ask if we should have a thread about Hauser, yes, because he's on the team.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,731

Post#69 » by Fantaxp7 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Before the season started I said I had one more season's worth of patience on Grant Williams. I'm glad it paid off (not that I could trade him or anything).
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,713

Post#70 » by ddb » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:49 pm

I owe Grant an apology. I was hard on him last season. He's very clearly worked on his body & game and it's showing. I think it's safe to say that he has developed into a very solid role player. Well done Grant!
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,987

Post#71 » by darrendaye » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Never recovered from ditching summer league.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
redbeamer
Junior
And1: 655

Post#72 » by redbeamer » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:11 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now 7th in 3FG% among 88 players who have taken at least 80 catch-and-shoot threes. He's the lone big in the top 10.
Now 2nd in 3FG% among 79 players who have taken at least 30 corner threes. Only FVV is ahead of him.

He brings more to the table on both ends than just his shooting. Ime might need to consider moving him to the starting lineup in place of Horford, who can bring stability to the bench and is a better pairing for Schroder.

Read on Twitter

I would love to hear that banter between Grant and JT. Grant seems like the kind of dude I would like to hang with. I have much respect for a player like him who recognizes their weaknesses and works hard to overcome them.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,869

Post#73 » by BK_2020 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:12 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:But let's not pretend he's only a few game cold streak from shooting in the low 30s.

If G Williams misses the next 20 threes, his 3pt % will be .373.
If G Williams misses the next 30 threes, his 3pt % will be .344.
If G williams misses the next 40 threes, his 3pt % will be .318.
He averages 3.4 3PA per game.
So if he goes 11.76 games missing every single 3 pointer he takes, yes, he will be shooting in the low 30s.
31to6
RealGM

Post#74 » by 31to6 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:38 pm

I always said he reminded me of a larger, fatter, rang-ier Kyle Korver

(don't worry, I didn't actually)
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#75 » by GoGreen » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Grant sucked last yr, let's not be too apologetic to the guy lol. But he's hitting his 3s and that's what this team needs so good on him for working that into his game.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,287

Post#76 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:52 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:But let's not pretend he's only a few game cold streak from shooting in the low 30s.

So if he goes 11.76 games missing every single 3 pointer he takes, yes, he will be shooting in the low 30s.

He has eyes bro, he doesn't need statistics.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,068

Post#77 » by 1st banana » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:22 am

At first we all thought grant would be the like the big lots version of pj tucker.

Now? **** pj is the big lots costo version of grant dude has made an unbelievable turn around/3rd year jump.

I think most of us were hard on grant he was kind of the whipping boy last year. Grant has not only stayed a plus defender but he is now just soaking wet from 3.

I think him dropping 20 lbs really helped him defensively. No more long nights of settlers and Mountain Dew.
31to6
RealGM

Post#78 » by 31to6 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:58 pm

just wait until Romeo Langford starts averaging 7ppg too this place is going to be off the hook
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,457

Post#79 » by chrisab123 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:26 pm

31to6 wrote:Agreed. A lot of posters last season lumped him in with Semi and other roster fodder who sucked. Grant’s been an obvious rotation quality guy since he got here, and has made great strides in his body and game (especially shooting).

Until this year he deserved to be lumped in with those jobbers. Grant is having his best year with the team in my opinion.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#80 » by Half-Full » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:56 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

He has eyes bro, he doesn't need statistics.

:lol:

Return to Boston Celtics