ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Blake Griffin – (Retires April 16, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,458

Re: Welcome to Boston Blake Griffin! 

Post#61 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

With Kornet Down for 1-2 weeks, amongst all our other Frontcourt woes,; this is a Great signing.
We likely still need another Presence there. I'd still like Jae Crowder, as well.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,248

Post#62 » by sam_I_am » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:32 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:People are acting like JB didn't carve up Dray, had him looking like he was only slightly better than Blake at times. Dray could have easily been DPOY and not many would have questioned it (health was a factor). I'm not going to hold what happened during his first minutes in a long time against him.

What I'm holding against someone (haven't figured out who), is that he wasn't getting minutes with BKN when they were desperate before the jays lit him up! That makes me think he's terrible and I prefer giving an early chance to Beefy (kabengele).

With that said, he's a Celtics, watch me think he's going to be a key player after a few videos lol. The things my brain will lead me to believe (yikes). After day 1 I started to think Korny might be something, that's simply based on him practicing as a starter! Delusion is real! (or is it delirium?) :lol:

In 2 months there will be 30 page threads blaming all our woes on the 15th player on the roster. The delusions go every which way.

I just can’t believe we are having a preseason game in 2 days. I’ll soon be obsessed about whether Blake will be suiting up or not.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 59,104

Post#63 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:People are acting like JB didn't carve up Dray, had him looking like he was only slightly better than Blake at times. Dray could have easily been DPOY and not many would have questioned it (health was a factor). I'm not going to hold what happened during his first minutes in a long time against him.

What I'm holding against someone (haven't figured out who), is that he wasn't getting minutes with BKN when they were desperate before the jays lit him up! That makes me think he's terrible and I prefer giving an early chance to Beefy (kabengele).

With that said, he's a Celtics, watch me think he's going to be a key player after a few videos lol. The things my brain will lead me to believe (yikes). After day 1 I started to think Korny might be something, that's simply based on him practicing as a starter! Delusion is real! (or is it delirium?) :lol:

In 2 months there will be 30 page threads blaming all our woes on the 15th player on the roster. The delusions go every which way.

I just can’t believe we are having a preseason game in 2 days. I’ll soon be obsessed about whether Blake will be suiting up or not.

There won't be woes, but I feel you. Fans are crazy! :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#64 » by illmatic24 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:48 pm

I don’t mind the move. He played really hard in the playoffs and obviously wants to win and end his career on a high note. Hopefully he stays healthy in a limited role. I’d rather have Carmelo on the team if we have to rely on a vet backup but oh well.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,722

Post#65 » by ParticleMan » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:55 pm

pretty good pickup at this stage. we are down 2 centers now, plus we want to limit horf this year. vet min for a guy who can still give you spot minutes and some playoff savvy is a good get. even tho i've never thought much of blake as a player.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#66 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Hope! Optimism! Fantasy

Blake is fun to watch, at least, even now. If he doesn’t defend any worse than Gallo he could be a decent scoring pop off the bench.

Now waiting to see if they make any other tweaks. Harkless, Crowder, PP for Vanderbilt, something else..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#67 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Scary thing is actually how his shooting numbers cratered last year.. anyone know where to look up how often he had his shot blocked? Losing lift can wreck some players, but he’s not that old
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 96,892

Post#68 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:19 pm

I was trying to look up stats on players cutting. Not enough sample for Blake last three seasons.

I was surprised to see Bruce Brown not even in the 7th percentile in cutting efficiency (he did it quite a bit -- almost 150 possessions last season). I could swear just watching him he'd at least be in 75th percentile. Sometimes your eyes fool you. He could be more useful on the Nuggets though.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,164

Post#69 » by 165bows » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Gimme the strong guys lineup. Smart-Brogdon-Tatum (skinny strong)-Grant-Blake.

Sometimes you gotta push people around a little bit.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#70 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:35 pm

165bows wrote:Gimme the strong guys lineup. Smart-Brogdon-Tatum (skinny strong)-Grant-Blake.

Sometimes you gotta push people around a little bit.

That’s why I wanted Justise Winslow..
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,732

Post#71 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:47 pm

ParticleMan wrote:pretty good pickup at this stage. we are down 2 centers now, plus we want to limit horf this year. vet min for a guy who can still give you spot minutes and some playoff savvy is a good get. even tho i've never thought much of blake as a player.

I've always loved Blake and am low-key pumped.
Great place to get a ring or three to end his career.
Totally limited now and I get that, but a versatile defender and a possible creator for the second unit.
As a 'never-really-fan' of the Gallo signing, this replaces maybe 40 -- 70% of what he'd have given us.

Smart/JB/JT/Al/Rob
Brog/White/Sam?/Grant/Blake

good 9th man for the RS (especially given our injuries up front), and then in the playoffs he's hopefully hardly playing but can contribute if called upon
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,458

Post#72 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:04 pm

Ahhh. Yeah.
That's 21-Players.

Who's getting Waived?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,682

Post#73 » by chrisab123 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:14 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Ahhh. Yeah.
That's 21-Players.

Who's getting Waived?

I wouldn't bet against a trade. Something is coming.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,333

Post#74 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:19 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Ahhh. Yeah.
That's 21-Players.

Who's getting Waived?

I wouldn't bet against a trade. Something is coming.

Yes the bums are being cut in about a week
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,305

Post#75 » by Dogen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:23 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:If he was a slam dunk, he wouldn't have been signed by a team to the minimum after media day. Understandable that some fans hate the signing. My bare expectation is he stays upright until Rob comes back. Vets learn schemes easier. I think he'll be useful for spot bench minutes in the regular season. If he's not out there, something physical is preventing him to. Griffin's one of the higher IQ guys left among the unsigned vets.

Exactamundo. I’m totally fine with this move with Rob and Gallo out. Blake has been a good egg in his twilight tour of the NBA
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
Dogen
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dogen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Froob wrote:
fallguy wrote:Hopefully he's a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency guy and we get Hauser, Kornet and (especially) Kabengele some run ahead of him.

Are we sure Kornet is better?

Kornet has not shown indications of being better than Griffin. It’s pure speculation at this point. Blake is a regular season insurer policy and a good dude in the locker room apparently.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#77 » by Dogen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:31 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Scary thing is actually how his shooting numbers cratered last year.. anyone know where to look up how often he had his shot blocked? Losing lift can wreck some players, but he’s not that old

He’s not that old, but his knees are, unfortunately. He’ll be good enough for spot minutes in the playoffs, be a bit of a **** defensively down low, provide spacing on the perimeter with good passing, getting hunted on the defensive end at the perimeter. Blake stuff.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,974

Post#78 » by playa-hater » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:57 pm

Boston strikes me as a team that will rarely develop any project type young talents. If they are not a top 6 pick they don't play. I would much rather have Kale and/or Kornet playing backup minutes vs Blake. But if a veteran is/was a must, still rather Whiteside, D Howard or Cousins. all 3 > Blake.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,732

Post#79 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 pm

playa-hater wrote:Boston strikes me as a team that will rarely develop any project type young talents. If they are not a top 6 pick they don't play. I would much rather have Kale and/or Kornet playing backup minutes vs Blake. But if a veteran is/was a must, still rather Whiteside, D Howard or Cousins. all 3 > Blake.

And yet the Celtics signed Blake. Should we consider why?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#80 » by Justin33 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:18 pm

;ab_channel=EileenLoh

Return to Boston Celtics