ImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 15,127

Re: PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024 

Post#61 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:51 am

He might be missing everything but he's making easy buckets for his teammates.
Open three after Tatum draws two with a cut. 2 free throws out of this.

Mitchell is already defending against a potential Tatum high pnr and let's Jrue backdoor for easy two.
BK_2020
RealGM

Re: PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024 

Post#62 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:55 am

Joe doesn't get enough credit. Here Jaylen has an entire corner of the court free after a decoy action but people are gonna look at the ball and think this was an ISO.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 97,090

Post#63 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 9, 2024 11:56 am

Tatum isn't the first star in the history of the league that's gotten extra defensive attention. He's making the right plays for his teammates most of the time and freeing up others with his gravity but he's also either not skilled enough to get a better shot or he's settling for meh ones. Bottomline, he's still got to shoot better. How is Edwards doing it? Brunson? (Curry in all his title runs but let's not go there.) Both Ant and Brunson are surrounded by less talented teammates than Tatum so logically speaking, more defensive attention can be directed towards them without getting burned.

EDIT: I cringe using Brunson as an example. Ant is on a whole different stratosphere lol. But Brunson's still shooting better than JT, partly because Bam-level player hasn't guarded him yet.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#64 » by Asian Celtic » Thu May 9, 2024 12:07 pm

1 2 3 ubuntu!
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#65 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:10 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Tatum isn't the first star in the history of the league that's gotten extra defensive attention. He's making the right plays for his teammates most of the time and freeing up others with his gravity but he's also either not skilled enough to get a better shot or he's settling for meh ones. Bottomline, he's still got to shoot better. How is Edwards doing it? Brunson? (Curry in all his title runs but let's not go there.) Both Ant and Brunson are surrounded by less talented teammates than Tatum so logically speaking, more defensive attention can be directed towards them without getting burned.

The point is not that Tatum missing makeable shots is ok. It's that it's silly to say he's soft because he's not driving baseline into defenders or that Strus is clamping him. If you don't have baseline you don't drive baseline. And if you don't have baseline, the on-ball defender is going to shade you. Taking a makeable fadeaway in that situation is not settling.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#66 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:21 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Tatum isn't the first star in the history of the league that's gotten extra defensive attention. He's making the right plays for his teammates most of the time and freeing up others with his gravity but he's also either not skilled enough to get a better shot or he's settling for meh ones. Bottomline, he's still got to shoot better. How is Edwards doing it? Brunson? (Curry in all his title runs but let's not go there.) Both Ant and Brunson are surrounded by less talented teammates than Tatum so logically speaking, more defensive attention can be directed towards them without getting burned.

EDIT: I cringe using Brunson as an example. Ant is on a whole different stratosphere lol. But Brunson's still shooting better than JT, partly because Bam-level player hasn't guarded him yet.

Also unrelated but Ant has an extremely talented team around him. He plays with a 4 time DPOY, a 4 time AS/2 time All-NBA, their own Derrick White-type guy in Conley, McDaniels who is an absolute menace, and Naz Reid who might be a better backup big than Horford. Brunson's teammates suck though.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,941

Post#67 » by Gant » Thu May 9, 2024 1:14 pm

Celtics updated odds on the playoff probabilities 10,000 simulations gizmo: 95.4% chance of winning this round.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#68 » by Triple7 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:49 pm

Exactly spot on. Just watched Nick and broussard talked about JT. They both said that JT needs to play better. Bru did acknowledged that JT is helping his team in other ways, but he’s the best player on the team, and he needs to step up. They also said that whoever we face, their best players are annihilating their opponents whether its brunson, SGA, jokic or edwards. We can’t be in the finals, and our best player is looking like our 3rd option. Also, they said that the best players in the league never had this slump of consecutive games. Never. When i watch JT, its like its a struggle for him to score. He also makes it hard for himself to score. At the post, he’s bigger taller than most of his defenders, instead of backing them down, which he does actually, but instead of just taking the easier face up jumper, he takes a turn around fade away. Anyways, i hope he gets out of this shooting slump. I felt bad for JT actually. Especially since JB and white are cooking. JT’s ego is taking a hit even if he don’t say anything. I know its affecting him.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#69 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:04 pm

Triple7 wrote:

Exactly spot on. Just watched Nick and broussard talked about JT. They both said that JT needs to play better. Bru did acknowledged that JT is helping his team in other ways, but he’s the best player on the team, and he needs to step up. They also said that whoever we face, their best players are annihilating their opponents whether its brunson, SGA, jokic or edwards. We can’t be in the finals, and our best player is looking like our 3rd option. Also, they said that the best players in the league never had this slump of consecutive games. Never. When i watch JT, its like its a struggle for him to score. He also makes it hard for himself to score. At the post, he’s bigger taller than most of his defenders, instead of backing them down, which he does actually, but instead of just taking the easier face up jumper, he takes a turn around fade away. Anyways, i hope he gets out of this shooting slump. I felt bad for JT actually. Especially since JB and white are cooking. JT’s ego is taking a hit even if he don’t say anything. I know its affecting him.

SGA just had a 1st round where his TS% was .554. He shot sub 30% from three and 72% from the line. Luka had a series where he carried .515 TS%. But let Nick and Broussard say no star has ever had a bad 6 game stretch.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 65,165

Post#70 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 9, 2024 3:19 pm

Gant wrote:Celtics updated odds on the playoff probabilities 10,000 simulations gizmo: 95.4% chance of winning this round.

and 99.9% probability of Celtics RealGM fans complaining about Jayson Tatum.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 16,410

Post#71 » by Bar Fight » Thu May 9, 2024 3:27 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Mitchell is already defending against a potential Tatum high pnr and let's Jrue backdoor for easy two.

BK_2020
RealGM

Post#72 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:29 pm

What a difference it makes to forget to include the word "cut"
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,270

Post#73 » by bigboi » Thu May 9, 2024 3:30 pm

I haven’t been watching games like that at all. Feel like I’ll have to go to the garden for one of the conference finals games. That said, Tatum’s been crappy these playoffs. One of his worst
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 9,274

Post#74 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:48 pm

bigboi wrote:I haven’t been watching games like that at all. Feel like I’ll have to go to the garden for one of the conference finals games. That said, Tatum’s been crappy these playoffs. One of his worst

20/10/5 with excellent defense and generally very good decisions, getting to the line.
Yeah I’d like him to shoot a better % for sure. But he is playing very good team basketball.
We hold him to a really high bar.
Sign here
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,270

Post#75 » by bigboi » Thu May 9, 2024 4:14 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
bigboi wrote:I haven’t been watching games like that at all. Feel like I’ll have to go to the garden for one of the conference finals games. That said, Tatum’s been crappy these playoffs. One of his worst

20/10/5 with excellent defense and generally very good decisions, getting to the line.
Yeah I’d like him to shoot a better % for sure. But he is playing very good team basketball.

Shooting 40% is low bar lmao. Even still we might cruise all the way to a championship. Don’t see any challenges in the East and not afraid of west
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 9,274

Post#76 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:18 pm

bigboi wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Shooting 40% is low bar lmao. Even still we might cruise all the way to a championship. Don’t see any challenges in the East and not afraid of west

Is that the bar you are holding him to?
I’d like TS% over 60 and making good decisions with good defense and good team basketball.
Sign here
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,746

Post#77 » by 31to6 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:30 pm

overall this team is showing growth compared to last spring, in terms of taking care of business.
tonight is the chance to show growth from Round 1.
LLEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GGGGOGGOGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,725

Post#78 » by steefP2 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:35 pm

saying i dont watch the games and also declaring it to be tatum's worst playoffs is a bold strategy
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,860

Post#79 » by KillahGhostface » Thu May 9, 2024 4:36 pm

White needs to master that bounce pass to Tatum when he rolls after the screen, Smart got him a few good looks or FT’s per game off of the exact same action. Came across this on Twitter, that number is pretty extreme lol.

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,941

Post#80 » by Gant » Thu May 9, 2024 5:08 pm

Tatum is averaging 1.32 points per shot so far in the playoffs. Last year he averaged 1.34 points per shot. Two years ago he averaged 1.30 points per shot. He's playing two and half minutes less this year than last, yet averaging exactly the same rebounds and assists.

Conclusion: none. It's only five games. (edit: six games)

Return to Boston Celtics