ImageImageImage

Nets Choose Wallace Over Pierce...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

RajonsGotARondo
Junior
And1: 305

Nets Choose Wallace Over Pierce... 

Post#1 » by RajonsGotARondo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

According to Bill Simmons, the nets had the choice between wallace and pierce for the top 3 protected pick of the nets and chose wallace
Miami Heat 2014-2015

Pg: Noris Cole
Sg:
Sf:
Pf:
C: Justin Hamilton
RajonsGotARondo
Junior
And1: 305

Re: Nets Choose Wallace Over Pierce... 

Post#2 » by RajonsGotARondo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Miami Heat 2014-2015

Pg: Noris Cole
Sg:
Sf:
Pf:
C: Justin Hamilton
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#3 » by Bertrob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Wallace is basically an expiring since his contract ends and he has a player option that hes gonna waive
if i had to give up that pick i would take wallace too
pierce isn't gonna make Deron stay
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#4 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 pm

That pick for Wallace is probably one of the worst trades I've ever seen at the deadline. How can a team with an interim GM swindle another team like that? Oh wait, it's because it's Billy King on the other end of that phone line. I kind of feel bad for Billy, because Prokhorov, after realizing how bad this deal is, will probably have his Russian Mafia goons encase King's body in cement under the new arena, similar to how Jimmy Hoffa's is under Giants Stadium.

Seriously, I don't even think you could pull that deal off in NBA 2K12.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,058

Post#5 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm

LOL at Simmons jumping back on the Celtics bandwagon, Is he still ignoring that he roots for a team of floppers now, only he pretends they don't flop so he can be buddy buddy with CP3 and blake.
Groove
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#6 » by Groove » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 pm

glad they didn't bite on it
pierce's been beasting as of late
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#7 » by threrf23 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I am not sure that the trade made sense for the Nets given the circumstances. But when healthy Wallace is definitely amongst the most underrated players in the league, and especially outside of the top 3 you generally draft guys hoping that they will one day be as good as Wallace is now.

If Deron/Wallace/Farmar opt out, they end up with a decent Center, young wings & a ton of cap space. Sure their pick would have been nice, but they keep it if they get a top 3 pick anyways, and it would have bit into their cap space a slight bit (which could be relevant next offseason if not this offseason). And guys like Damion James and Marshon Brooks can learn from Wallace, and I mean, it can be healthy to mix quality vets who play the game right with young rookies, too many directionless rookies can be an issue. And there's always a chance that Wallace opts in to his final year...

I'm just saying, I really don't think the Nets got fleeced. I'm not even convinced that the trade hurts them. I am curious though whether they really would have traded their pick for PP. Given the $$ remaining on his contract, and the fact that the Nets certainly are not in win-now mode, that would have been a really curious move (no offense to PP).
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#8 » by Gant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:LOL at Simmons jumping back on the Celtics bandwagon, Is he still ignoring that he roots for a team of floppers now, only he pretends they don't flop so he can be buddy buddy with CP3 and blake.

Simmons just ripped Ainge apart in an uncharacteristically poorly written column a few weeks ago. He's all over the map on Doc. He really does hop on and off with the fortunes of the team.

Simmons is such a strange person. Great writer, but there's some unresolved childhood conflicts or something on display all the time.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#9 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Pierce is the better player, but assuming Wallace follows a similar aging pattern to Pierce, I can see why they'd prefer the guy with more quality years left in him, especially given how unrealistic the playoffs were at that point.

That was an awful steep price to pay for Wallace though. He'd just been had the prior trade deadline for what looked to be two late first rounders and filler. A year older and he fetches a high lottery pick?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#10 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 pm

threrf23 wrote:I'm just saying, I really don't think the Nets got fleeced. I'm not even convinced that the trade hurts them.

You don't think they could have used that pick to trade to Orlando for Dwight? Brook Lopez and a top 5 pick, plus a huge TPE?

I'd rather take my chances and get a lottery pick over a guy averaging 14 ppg and 6 rpg.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#11 » by Gant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:02 pm

You can get your choice of guys equal to Wallace at any time in any number of ways.

This is a really good draft. The Nets gave up the potential of drafting a young talent on a reasonable contract for a run of the mill, mediocre player.

It was a breathtakingly bad trade.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#12 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Gant wrote:
Simmons just ripped Ainge apart in an uncharacteristically poorly written column a few weeks ago. He's all over the map on Doc. He really does hop on and off with the fortunes of the team.

Much like many Celtics fans (including some on this board) depending on our recent win loss record.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#13 » by ddb » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

I don't think Bill Simmons knows what he's talking about. He has "sources". Seriously, the "experts" had no clue what Ainge was doing. I don't think Ainge had any intentions of trading his core away. Of course you always listen and if a trade blows you away you do it. But in this case I don't think Simmons knows sh*t.

Side-note on Simmons. I used to love the guy back in the day. He was true to his teams and funny. Now he's a sell out and he's ALL over the map with the Bruins, Celts, Sox, Pats. He can go screw. He's the Dane Cook of Sports Jounalism
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#14 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 pm

ddb wrote:I don't think Bill Simmons knows what he's talking about. He has "sources". Seriously, the "experts" had no clue what Ainge was doing. I don't think Ainge had any intentions of trading his core away. Of course you always listen and if a trade blows you away you do it. But in this case I don't think Simmons knows sh*t.

Side-note on Simmons. I used to love the guy back in the day. He was true to his teams and funny. Now he's a sell out and he's ALL over the map with the Bruins, Celts, Sox, Pats. He can go screw. He's the Dane Cook of Sports Jounalism

IIRC, Ainge himself said that he came very close to dealing away some of the Big 3.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#15 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 am

Fuuuuuuu*k. Pierce for a pick in the 4-8 range would've been huge. A gamble, though, not only on who you draft but on having the pick it all- isn't it a one-time thing, so that if it's in the top 3 this year, the Nets keep it and Portland gets nothing?
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#16 » by Marley2Hendrix » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 am

Gant wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:LOL at Simmons jumping back on the Celtics bandwagon, Is he still ignoring that he roots for a team of floppers now, only he pretends they don't flop so he can be buddy buddy with CP3 and blake.

Simmons is such a strange person. Great writer, but there's some unresolved childhood conflicts or something on display all the time.

Well put. I generally love his podcast (huge plus as I commute ~60 minutes to work 2-3 days a week), but with some regularity the latter can derail the mojo of a good conversation for a few extended beats. That being said, I've been a fan since the Digital City days, and, with the exception of a few of his personal grudge pieces (e.g., article on the 'real story' behind the saints bounty punishment), I look forward to reading/listing to what he has to offer.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Re: Re: Nets Choose Wallace Over Pierce... 

Post#17 » by jfs1000d » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Pierce is the better player, but assuming Wallace follows a similar aging pattern to Pierce, I can see why they'd prefer the guy with more quality years left in him, especially given how unrealistic the playoffs were at that point.

That was an awful steep price to pay for Wallace though. He'd just been had the prior trade deadline for what looked to be two late first rounders and filler. A year older and he fetches a high lottery pick?

Has Gerald Wallace ever been anywhere near pierce? At current ages, I take pierce. Who is running new Jersey? Glad they are that dumb. Ainge probably wanted no protectionon pick. Which means, a shot at Anthony Davis.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Re: Re: Nets Choose Wallace Over Pierce... 

Post#18 » by jfs1000d » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 am

Nm
ecnirp
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#19 » by ecnirp » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:16 am

Hmm...Gilchrist a Celtic? No way he falls that far...

Unless its

Davis
Robinson
*team that needs a guard* Beal
Gilchrist..

Hmm...

Oh well. Celtics should steal Gerald Green back from them, lol.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#20 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 am

WTF Simmons? If he's really still a Celtic fan, he'd appreciate that now is NOT the time to leak something like this. Fame has gotten the better of fandom I'm afraid...

The less said about some things the better - tell us in late June, your fans will still be impressed by your 'connections' then!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics