ImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,024

Re: Official Trade Thread 

Post#741 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:00 am

not that this will come as a surprise but:

A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
@ToastKennedy Still a little early, but the three most likely to be moved are Bass, Lee and Jason Terry.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#742 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:47 am

Come on. Trading those three is like replacing the windshield wipers on an old, broken down car
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#743 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am

Best I can imagine:

1) Bass for Gortat
2) Lee for Wilson Chandler
3) Terry/Green for Josh Smith

Rondo, Barbosa
Bradley
Pierce, Chandler
Smith, Sullinger, Wilcox
Garnett, Gortat, Collins
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#744 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am

This is to the "Blow It Up" crowd...what will "blowing it up" do?

1) The East is structured so there is almost no chance the Celtics miss the playoffs (its unfortunate, I know) because outside of the 8 teams currently in contention, Philly is the only one who comes close. Even then you have Milwaukee as the most likely team to lose its spot.

2) "We need a young franchise player!" Well what if I told you we could get a fairly young point guard on a good contract that is one of the best at his position in the NBA. I'm sure everyone would jump at that since aside from finding an elite Center its the toughest spot to fill on the roster. Well we have that in Rondo. You do not trade those guys, period. Do you remember the last few starting point guards for the Celtics?

3) The 2006-2007 Boston Celtics are not walking through that door. Ainge and Doc will not play "Potential Ball" ever again due to that debacle, despite the fact that 2006-2007 core is regarded as one of the most popular in recent Celtics history. You had massive potential in Bassy, Big Al, Perkins and G-Money. Not to mention Rondo! Hell with a trade of Pierce they would have been able to draft Durant, right? Well except for the fact they ended up with the #5 pick which they would have used, not on Jeff Green but on...YI Jianlin. Clearly a much better course to walk down.

4) My point is this, blowing it all up for picks and trading an established star like Rondo for Cousins and Evans does not make this a better team. Lots of potential, clearly, but a better team for this year and next year? Yeah that isn't going to work out well at all. Everyone on this board goes Bipolar after every loss, its annoying to see 25 blow it up threads...we get it! You want this team to lose and contend again in 5 years. Problem is that the East is so bad, that the Celtics will not pick in the top 5 anytime soon. Most of the fans didn't see this team in the 80's, if you did you would never...ever...want to blow a Celtics team up!
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#745 » by AKFO » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 am

tfmiii wrote:not that this will come as a surprise but:

A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
@ToastKennedy Still a little early, but the three most likely to be moved are Bass, Lee and Jason Terry.

No surprise at all, but it's not like Blakely has any sources. Honestly, the only player in the rotation I'd like to see move is Bass. Lee has shown he can run the point, and do what he was brought in to do; run the break. Terry is the only volume three point shooter we have, and guys like that are needed on contenders.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#746 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 am

chrisab123 wrote:This is to the "Blow It Up" crowd...what will "blowing it up" do?

2) "We need a young franchise player!" Well what if I told you we could get a fairly young point guard on a good contract that is one of the best at his position in the NBA. I'm sure everyone would jump at that since aside from finding an elite Center its the toughest spot to fill on the roster. Well we have that in Rondo. You do not trade those guys, period. Do you remember the last few starting point guards for the Celtics?

3) The 2006-2007 Boston Celtics are not walking through that door. Ainge and Doc will not play "Potential Ball" ever again due to that debacle, despite the fact that 2006-2007 core is regarded as one of the most popular in recent Celtics history. You had massive potential in Bassy, Big Al, Perkins and G-Money. Not to mention Rondo! Hell with a trade of Pierce they would have been able to draft Durant, right? Well except for the fact they ended up with the #5 pick which they would have used, not on Jeff Green but on...YI Jianlin. Clearly a much better course to walk down.

People say we need a young franchise player because they don't think Rondo is one. And they think trading him is our best shot at acquiring one.

Had the Celtics won the second pick, they'd have gone into the summer with what, Rondo, Telfair, West, Allen, Jefferson, Perkins, Gomes, Gerald Green, Paul Pierce, Kevin Durant, and two big expiring or soon-to-expire contracts in Ratliff and Sczcerbiak. That is a damn good core. And they traded the 5 pick for an all-star veteran shooting guard BECAUSE the only guy available was Yi Jianlin. I don't know where you're getting this 'Hell with a trade of Pierce' thing. Rebuilding that way was slow and painful, but it did accumulate a lot of "assets" and it did pay off.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#747 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 am

andy582 wrote:Come on. Trading those three is like replacing the windshield wipers on an old, broken down car

addition by subtraction?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#748 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 am

Ok, take those 3 off the roster-

Rondo, Barbosa
Bradley, replacement player x 2
Pierce, Green
Sullinger, replacement player
Garnett, Wilcox, Collins

Really depends on who you get back. More minutes for Barbosa are probably good, losing Lee and Terry could mean a bigger role for Green off the bench, offensively. But it seems like tinkering.

Say we do a conservative, realistic trade, like Bass/Lee for Koufos and Chandler.

Rondo, Barbosa
Bradley, Chandler
Pierce, Green
Sullinger, Garnett, replacement
Garnett, Wilcox, Koufos, Collins

So what kind of power forward can you get for Terry? Drew Gooden, maybe?

Rondo, Barbosa
Bradley, Chandler
Pierce, Green
Sullinger, Gooden, Wilcox
Garnett, Koufos, Collins

I just don't see.. you're tweaking a 42 win team to make it a 48 win team. Our rebounding would definitely be better, at least.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#749 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 am

agreed

it would have to be spiced up to really have an impact

depending on who you are going for, you may add sully (if getting a scoring big back) etc

Minny is desperate for wings and SGs in particular and last in the league in 3 pt % (terry 4th all time in 3pts)

i would not see them taking bass however, green might be of interest

they would love to move Derrick Williams and Ridnour as well, could swap them for lee, terry?

then where send bass to denver for chandler? would rather koufos, but don't see that

and again even if these came through not much better than what you posted above, not moving the needle enough
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#750 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 am

surprised no one has mentioned utah much apart from throwaway lines about missing big al

could make rondo a centerpiece in swap for a big:

favors (or kanter?) hayward, mo williams, marvin williams, millsap

for rondo, bass, green, terry and JASON COLLINS

millsap has refused extension offer, both he and mo expire this year (marvin expires in '14) get a big in kanter/favors a wing who can create/score of the bench in hayward, a gritty undersized pf in millsap on a tryout basis, mo williams for instant offense and marvin, well, he can hit a three every now and then

utah gets the best player in the deal and hence absorbs some extra baggage, although green should be an upgrade on marvin as well.

highly unlikely as i don't see us dealing rondo, but it would have more impact than the around the edges deals we have been discussing, would give us a shot this year and help prepare for future w a big and scoring wing (assumes bradley shifts to pg even if he is not primary ball handler at all times).
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#751 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 am

more from A Sherrod... not waiting to 'flip a switch,' if things don't shape up folks will ship out:

1h A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
@Cutch30 @pimpseatkfc Players can waive no-trade clause if they want out of a situation bad enough. Clause or not, I don't see KG leaving.

2h A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
“@_APIII: Doc looks fed up, if this doesn't turn around do you think he walks away?” I don't think he will. Things will get better IMO.

“@boceltics18: @SherrodbCSN you know it all. Would the C's trade Sully?” Unlikely. Would have to be part of bigger pkg.

“@pimpseatkfc: @SherrodbCSN What about a major trade? Like shipping off Rondo or KG?” Possible, but unlikely.

“@JeffFullerWDeV: @SherrodbCSN C's just hoping to flip the switch like last year? #Doubtful” We call that #reallybadidea

“@MaroTumada: @SherrodbCSN is trade going to happen at celtics?” If the #Celtics don't shape up and play better, I expect moves to be made.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#752 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 am

Bradley for Kanter was rumored earlier this season.. Bradley has shown more at this point in his career, but Kanter has the potential to make a bigger impact at the 5. I don't see them dealing Favors and Millsap, though, unless they get back Sullinger. Utah's in a tight spot because Favors/Kanter isn't quite ready for prime time, but Jefferson and Millsap are both going to want big multi-year contract extensions..
pp34thetruth_
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

We can pull Varejao out of the trade targets list 

Post#753 » by pp34thetruth_ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

Anderson Varejao recently developed a blood clot (small right lower lung pulmonary embolism) and was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic last Thursday (January 17th). He is being treated with blood thinners (anticoagulants) and is expected to stay at the Clinic for several days, while undergoing treatment and observation.

He will need to remain on blood thinning medication for approximately three months.

While Varejao is expected to fully recover, he will miss the remainder of the current Cavaliers season.

"Clearly our players' health is our top concern and we are disappointed for Anderson, and his family," said general manager Chris Grant. "We know what a competitor he is and how much he wants to be on the court helping his teammates. In the meantime, he has our full support and we look forward to welcoming him back as he recovers."

so the circle becomes thinner, so its a battle between Gortat and???
GreenMachine wrote:Sorry folks, your dreams of a 10 win season are going to be nightmares. Not happening. We will be in the playoffs next year.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#754 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 am

andy582 wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:This is to the "Blow It Up" crowd...what will "blowing it up" do?

People say we need a young franchise player because they don't think Rondo is one. And they think trading him is our best shot at acquiring one.

Had the Celtics won the second pick, they'd have gone into the summer with what, Rondo, Telfair, West, Allen, Jefferson, Perkins, Gomes, Gerald Green, Paul Pierce, Kevin Durant, and two big expiring or soon-to-expire contracts in Ratliff and Sczcerbiak. That is a damn good core. And they traded the 5 pick for an all-star veteran shooting guard BECAUSE the only guy available was Yi Jianlin. I don't know where you're getting this 'Hell with a trade of Pierce' thing. Rebuilding that way was slow and painful, but it did accumulate a lot of "assets" and it did pay off.

Yes but there was no way the Celtics get the 2nd pick. This is like me saying, what if the Celtics didn't do anything in 2008 and got Derrick Rose with the 1st pick. The only thing the Celtics could control is what they did with the number 5 pick, which Danny was going to use on Yi. Take away Durant from that core since the Celtics never would have grabbed him, that core is a 25 win squad that will stay a 25 win squad. Especially when you consider that Pierce asked for a trade if they didn't want to start winning. Lets humor each other here, say if the Celtics got the number 2 pick, they would be trading Pierce after a year where he was injured. Something tells me they would have been selling 70 cents on the dollar.

Rondo is a franchise player, people just want to see what the grass on the other side of the field looks like. Believe me, if we had CP3 it would be an upgrade but you would still get people complaining about having to trade Rondo for him.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Re: We can pull Varejao out of the trade targets list 

Post#755 » by exculpatory » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm

pp34thetruth_ wrote:
Anderson Varejao recently developed a blood clot (small right lower lung pulmonary embolism) and was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic last Thursday (January 17th). He is being treated with blood thinners (anticoagulants) and is expected to stay at the Clinic for several days, while undergoing treatment and observation.

He will need to remain on blood thinning medication for approximately three months.

While Varejao is expected to fully recover, he will miss the remainder of the current Cavaliers season.

"Clearly our players' health is our top concern and we are disappointed for Anderson, and his family," said general manager Chris Grant. "We know what a competitor he is and how much he wants to be on the court helping his teammates. In the meantime, he has our full support and we look forward to welcoming him back as he recovers."

so the circle becomes thinner, so its a battle between Gortat and???

A pulmonary embolus (PE). He was at risk for a deep vein thrombophlebitis (DVT) & a subsequent PE because he was immobilized after his gastrocnemius surgery. Classic case.

He is being anticoagulated as an inpatient & will be anticoagulated as an outpatient for probably 6 more months.

He should do well in that he is a young healthy athlete. Good luck to him.

Truth will lead us to #18 in June 2013!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#756 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

A Sherrod adds Pierce to his list of players potentially moving on (Bass, Lee, JET),but in the segment notes that Pierce is attractive to other teams, not that we are looking to move him
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#757 » by ddb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I really wonder how trading Pierce would effect KG and Rondo?? These guys have been through wars together...KG is back because of PP, Doc and Rondo. I highly, highly doubt that any of PP, Rondo and KG will be moved. I just don't see how it helps this team now or in the future.

Plus, KG signed a multiple year contract. Granted he may not play through the entire contract, but the reality of it is that this team could still restructure and make another run at it NEXT SEASON.

The window is this year and next year. I doubt KG and PP play a 3rd season. But you never know!
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#758 » by ddb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

furthermore, I still see Ainge working on 1 of 2 things.....

1. A Blockbuster involving some combination of Lee, Bass, Green, Sully, Terry, Melo and Picks....In this scenerio Ainge would be pressing the reset button and bringing back players who could potentially FIT better then the current support group.

2. A "smaller" deal or 2. 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 type trade that addresses size and a more reliable wing scorer to come off the bench.

honestly, my head is spinning from all the "rumors" in addition to the insight I've heard from my bball guys. I really don't even think they know exactly what Ainge is doing. I'm just super anxious awaiting a move or 2....Ainge is up to something and it's no secret IMO.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#759 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Dang, that Cavs trade with the Grizzlies takes away a potential suitor for Bass - with Speights on board, the Cavs don't need a big man with range anymore. They would have made a good partner in a 3-way trade with Bass before this.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#760 » by Datruth345 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

always liked spieghts, he can bang
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell

Return to Boston Celtics