ImageImageImage

KG and Pierce to Brooklyn?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Re: KG and Pierce to Brooklyn? 

Post#921 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 am

UGA Hayes wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi
Doc on KG/PP trade: "I knew it was coming. Danny and I had talked about that over the last 3-4 weeks. I knew all this was going to happen."

That's weird, so was KG never going to the Clippers?

I think he just means that he knew they were both going to be gone this summer.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#922 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:00 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
zronv7 wrote:
rob4748 wrote:Nets and Bobcats discussed a Humphries-Ben Gordon swap in the past. Could still be on the table for Boston.
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSi

yeah no thanks, gordon will only help us win games.

not sure you realize how horrible Ben Gordon is

20 mins a game and 11pts per game, over 40% on all, 39% on 3's. All on jump shots. He is better option for rondo based team than terry or crawford and would help, if we wanted to construct an 8th seed maybe team.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#923 » by BfB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 am

GUYS - they were planning on S/T for Josh Smith when it was PP potentially to CLE and now everyone thinks the team is "tanking" or taking on BG to kinda win?

Boston is still planning on putting a competitive team on the floor - I expect the 8 FIRST ROUNDERS and the remaining salary pieces to be turned into 2 LEGIT players...BG isn't one of the two.

Smith and "X" are coming in....maybe Aldridge? Who knows...
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#924 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 am

BfB wrote:GUYS - they were planning on S/T for Josh Smith when it was PP potentially to CLE and now everyone thinks the team is "tanking" or taking on BG to kinda win?

Boston is still planning on putting a competitive team on the floor - I expect the 8 FIRST ROUNDERS and the remaining salary pieces to be turned into 2 LEGIT players...BG isn't one of the two.

You may be right - it'll be interesting to see - for now: TO BE CONTINUED...
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#925 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
zronv7 wrote:
yeah no thanks, gordon will only help us win games.

not sure you realize how horrible Ben Gordon is

20 mins a game and 11pts per game, over 40% on all, 39% on 3's. All on jump shots. He is better option for rondo based team than terry or crawford and would help, if we wanted to construct an 8th seed maybe team.

As a UConn fan I am extra hard on my guys, his decision making is abysmal and he shot like crap last year. He hasn't played defense since grade school and is a midget.

Thanks for reminding me that Crawford is still on the team, I forgot about that idiot
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,673

Post#926 » by The Corey's » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 am

Any possible way we can get a first for humpries from cha if they actually want him? Coming from them it's far more Valuable than a trade exception?

Maybe humpries/green for the exception and a first.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,031

Post#927 » by tfmiii » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:27 am

ConnorHenry wrote:
Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 4m

Keep an eye on Charlotte as a possible landing spot for Kris Humphries. Rival execs skeptical he stays in Boston.

past negotiations centered on a hump-ben gordon swap, both are expiring
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#928 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 am

We also shed something like $7-8m off of next year's payroll in this deal, no?

Sweeeeeet. Who wants to be at the apron for a bad team?

We can use the MLE now.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#929 » by tfmiii » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi
Doc on KG/PP trade: "I knew it was coming. Danny and I had talked about that over the last 3-4 weeks. I knew all this was going to happen."

no kidding, really Doc?

but he doesn't know why he left :lol:
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#930 » by peachbucket » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am

Egregiousness wrote:
sully00 wrote:I guarantee no GM has ever pulled off dealing 2 36 year olds and a 37 year old guaranteed a total of 45 million dollars over the next two years for 3 first round picks and actually cut salary.

thats actually a good point and reading that makes me feel a bit better and add to that the 37 year old probaby should be having ankle surgery this summer. I can't stand wallace but remmber his good days in charlotte. he is absolutely untradable though, there is NO WAY IN HELL atlanta takes on his salary to move josh smith - aint happening. If we amnesty him right away do we have cap room in free agency this summer?

Absolute grand larceny...Prokhorov just completely painted that franchise into a corner for the next 7 years at an outside shot at contention. I'm ecstatic.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#931 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 am

BfB wrote:GUYS - they were planning on S/T for Josh Smith when it was PP potentially to CLE and now everyone thinks the team is "tanking" or taking on BG to kinda win?

Defer to you here, but think that with an injured Rondo, there's not high hopes for the first half of the year. I can definitely see them starting slow, letting Rondo demonstrate health, and then shipping him at the deadline before being faced with his max extension needs next offseason.

Would set them up tremendously for 2014.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#932 » by campybatman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 am

I'm amazed that Brooklyn's taking on a lot of salary, again. I don't know. This isn't a deal that Brooklyn needed to do. It reeks of desperation. They'd talent to compete last season. If your high-profile players underachieve, you don't throw money on the problem with shot-term solutions. Maybe, you try to convince Kirilenko to opt out of his last year in favor of signing a long-term deal with you. And you attempt to sign Landry and/or Jack to help retool the bench.

In my opinion, Brooklyn must reach the NBA Finals next season to validate this trade. Although Pierce will becomes a free agent, your team payroll for the 2014-2015 season will induce nausea.

Garnett waived his no-trade clause after the Nets agreed to fully guarantee the $12 million owed him for the 2014-15 season, the third year of his contract. Prior to the agreement, the Nets could have bought out Garnett for $6 million.

Very few teams, if any, would have the inclination to trade three draft picks for a short-term run with two aging stars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets- ... 13145.html
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#933 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:14 am

I love Pierce and Garnett, but I don't think this makes the Nets a contender. They're one of those deep, old non-superstar teams- like Dallas a couple of years ago, a little, except with no one as good as Dirk. They're about comparable to last year's Knicks. Not hating on them, and they'll be good enough to be a contender in the 'anything can happen' sense- they're certainly a playoff team. But I'm not convinced they're better than Miami, or a healthy Bulls team, or the Pacers..

And yeah, Brooklyn gives picks away- and the fact they'd cough up 3 for Pierce and Garnett, when the Clippers won't even do two for Doc/KG, says a lot about how eager they are to show ostensible improvement.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#934 » by dballislife » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 am

what i really dont understand is why take on bad salaries, and old players, but whats worst its old players that are past prime but can still ball a bit so it makes ur team better, now ur not even bad enough to tank cus at least 5 teams are tanking strong atm...if ur gonna make a trade u gotta give urself a chance to land wiggins, which would quickly change celtics around...maybe rondo goes
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#935 » by peachbucket » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:36 am

dballislife wrote:what i really dont understand is why take on bad salaries, and old players, but whats worst its old players that are past prime but can still ball a bit so it makes ur team better, now ur not even bad enough to tank cus at least 5 teams are tanking strong atm...if ur gonna make a trade u gotta give urself a chance to land wiggins, which would quickly change celtics around...maybe rondo goes

You still have to fill out your roster and people seem to forget there is a salary floor that you need to get to. Believe me, the current Celtics roster (post trade) is by far the worst in the NBA (without Rondo) and won't need much help achieving a bottom three record. Plus, if one of those acquired role players performs well you can always move them to a contender for additional assets.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#936 » by 15th overall » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:44 am

I'd like to see Brooklyn grab TA with the MLE. Get the band back together and take everything out on Ray in the ECF.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#937 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 am

campybatman wrote:I'm amazed that Brooklyn's taking on a lot of salary, again. I don't know. This isn't a deal that Brooklyn needed to do. It reeks of desperation. They'd talent to compete last season. If your high-profile players underachieve, you don't throw money on the problem with shot-term solutions. Maybe, you try to convince Kirilenko to opt out of his last year in favor of signing a long-term deal with you. And you attempt to sign Landry and/or Jack to help retool the bench.

In my opinion, Brooklyn must reach the NBA Finals next season to validate this trade. Although Pierce will becomes a free agent, your team payroll for the 2014-2015 season will induce nausea.

Garnett waived his no-trade clause after the Nets agreed to fully guarantee the $12 million owed him for the 2014-15 season, the third year of his contract. Prior to the agreement, the Nets could have bought out Garnett for $6 million.

Very few teams, if any, would have the inclination to trade three draft picks for a short-term run with two aging stars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets- ... 13145.html

The Nets had absolutely no way of improving aside from trading Humphries expiring contract. Landry's a FA so the only way of getting him was him accepting the MMLE which he wouldn't have or via S&T, but since we're a tax paying team that was not a possibility. Ditto for jack.

What other players could Humphries realistically fetch? Boozer? Okafor? I mean... KG at his age is still better than either. Then you have the upgrade from Wallace to Pierce who just happens to have the better contract. We've addressed our biggest needs with this one trade. We now have a SF that could shoot from beyond the arc and a power forward that can shoot the mid range jumper, improve our pick and roll defense and bring the intensity this team severely needed.

This deal was a no brainer for the Nets. The 2018 pick is the only pick that could burn us... but this team was all in even before this trade, so anything to enhance our probabilities of contending for a title needed to be done. It's just amazing that we didn't need to include Brooks, Bogdanovic, Shengelia, Mirza or this years draft pick.
Dat Leadership
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#938 » by Roddy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:37 am

I will root for the Nets to kick Miami's ass next year. Could be nice to see KG and PP win another ring together.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach

Post#939 » by tfmiii » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 am

Roddy wrote:I will root for the Nets to kick Miami's ass next year. Could be nice to see KG and PP win another ring together.

and then see them beat Doc in the finals :lol:
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#940 » by Marvel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 am

Brooklyn's bench: Brooks, Terry, Blatche?, Shengelia, Bogdanovic, CJ, Tyshawn....so far. Could pick up a few good minimum level guys ie ring chasers - Jamison, Brand, Odom, JO, KMart, Morrow, Pietrus, Webster.

Add a few of those guys to their bench and they are legit, if they aren't already.

Return to Boston Celtics