ImageImageImage

Celtics Trivia Game (2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Trivia threads? 

Post#801 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:38 am

The old trivia thread was locked for some reason. Which are we supposed to use?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1372462&start=800

By the way, my last hint was supposed to point to Celtics scrub and legendary college coach John Thompson.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: Trivia threads? 

Post#802 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am

By the way, what makes me think of this is that Dan Shaughnessy came up with one: Which 10 Celtic rookies have made the all-rookie first team? It turns out that the team was instituted just in time for the earliest answer to be John Havlicek. So there are 9 more to go.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#803 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:40 pm

I’m pretty sure my man Dee Brown made the All Rookie team.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#804 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:36 pm

So let's start a new one.
Where did Thomas Hamilton attempt to play college ball? Where did his son play in college?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#805 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:50 pm

What's green, brown and can't dribble?
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,391

Post#806 » by shackles10 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:52 pm

BK_2020 wrote:What's green, brown and can't dribble?

A toad
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#807 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:53 pm

Recycling some fun ones, all about guys' playing careers:

1. We all know who holds the record for most NBA championships. But who's second?

2. What record/accomplishment do Bill Russell and Larry Bird share with a third (non-Celtic) player? (And who's the third guy?)

3. What record/accomplishment does Tom Heinsohn hold alone?

4. Danny Ainge for a while was 2nd in NBA history in what stat?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#808 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:14 pm

shackles10 wrote:

A toad

Ummm not with those big Kawhi-like paws.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Celtics Trivia Game (2023) 

Post#809 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:29 pm

Let's Bring this Thread Back.
Good Idea Fencer.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: Celtics Trivia Game (2023) 

Post#810 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Larry Bird has held the Celtics single-game scoring record longer than anybody else (and still does, although he's now in a tie).

Who held it second-longest?
Who held it third-longest?
Who held it for the shortest length of time?

Rules:
-- Any game that counts -- regular season, post-season, play-in, whatever.
-- Overtime or not doesn't matter.
-- Shot-clock era only. So in particular we don't need to check whether the high scorer of their first game ever was also high scorer of the next game. ;)
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#811 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:08 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Recycling some fun ones, all about guys' playing careers:

1. We all know who holds the record for most NBA championships. But who's second?

2. What record/accomplishment do Bill Russell and Larry Bird share with a third (non-Celtic) player? (And who's the third guy?)

1) Sam Jones
2) 3 consecutive MVPs. Wilt Chamberlain
3) made HOF as a player and coach?
4) With Ainge, I will say 3 pointers made in the playoffs.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#812 » by Jammer » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Larry Bird has held the Celtics single-game scoring record longer than anybody else (and still does, although he's now in a tie).

Rules:
-- Shot-clock era only. So in particular we don't need to check whether the high scorer of their first game ever was also high scorer of the next game. ;)

Well, McHale held it the shortest. Like 1 game until Bird passed him (well, or a couple of days, whatever).

Now, the trick here is time. Cousy had 50 in a playoff game in the 1950's. So the question is when did Sam Jones score 51 the first time (he did it more than once). So, Cousy probably had the record between 8 and 12 years, depending on when he did it (might have been before Russell since he played like 7 seasons before Russell arrived).

Then Sam Jones had it a short while, until Havlicek broke it in an Overtime Playoff game with like 54. So, Sam Jones probably held it around 8 years.

Havlicek probably had it until McHale broke it with 56. Probably 12 or 13 years for Havlicek.

Whew, this one's tough. I'll guess Havlicek had it second longest and Cousy 3rd longest, with Sam Jones 4th longest with 8 years.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#813 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:21 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Recycling some fun ones, all about guys' playing careers:

1) Sam Jones Correct
2) 3 consecutive MVPs. Wilt Chamberlain Correct
3) made HOF as a player and coach? Player-only, please.
4) With Ainge, I will say 3 pointers made in the playoffs. I recall the stat as him being #2 in 3s made period. So it wouldn't surprise me if he were #1 in postseason 3s for a while, actually.

But that raises an interesting question, to which I may not have a complete answer:

Which Celtics players -- HoFers or otherwise -- became HoF coaches?
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#814 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:35 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:

1) Sam Jones Correct
4) With Ainge, I will say 3 pointers made in the playoffs. I recall the stat as him being #2 in 3s made period. So it wouldn't surprise me if he were #1 in postseason 3s for a while, actually.

But that raises an interesting question, to which I may not have a complete answer:

Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn, Bill Russell, Don Nelson. Not sure if there are more. I don't think KC Jones is in the HOF as a coach.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#815 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Jammer wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Larry Bird has held the Celtics single-game scoring record longer than anybody else (and still does, although he's now in a tie).

Rules:

Well, McHale held it the shortest. Like 1 game until Bird passed him (well, or a couple of days, whatever).

Now, the trick here is time. Cousy had 50 in a playoff game in the 1950's. So the question is when did Sam Jones score 51 the first time (he did it more than once). So, Cousy probably had the record between 8 and 12 years, depending on when he did it (might have been before Russell since he played like 7 seasons before Russell arrived).

Then Sam Jones had it a short while, until Havlicek broke it in an Overtime Playoff game with like 54. So, Sam Jones probably held it around 8 years.

Havlicek probably had it until McHale broke it with 56. Probably 12 or 13 years for Havlicek.

Whew, this one's tough. I'll guess Havlicek had it second longest and Cousy 3rd longest, with Sam Jones 4th longest with 8 years.

I blew that one in my memory. I thought Hondo broke Sam's record, then checked regular season games only and concluded I'd been wrong. So yeah, it's harder than I thought.

The McHale and Bird highs were in the 1984-5 season.
The Havlicek high was in 1973.
Sam Jones broke Cousy's record in the 1965-6 season (and tied his own record in the 1967 postseason)
Cousy's record game was in the 1953 playoffs.

If I'm doing this right, Cousy held the record one more season than Havlicek. But Cousy's record was broken in October, while Havlicek's was in March, so the difference is closer to half a year.

As for McHale's tenure, his Wikipedia article says:

McHale continued to come off the bench during the first half of the 1984–1985 season, but moved into a starting role in February 1985 after Cedric Maxwell suffered a knee injury. On March 3 versus the Detroit Pistons McHale enjoyed his greatest scoring night, setting the Celtics' single-game scoring record with 56 points.[8] Two nights later McHale scored 42 points against the Knicks, the only other time in his career he topped 40 points in a game. The 98 points in consecutive games is still a Celtics' record. Nine days after McHale had scored 56 points, Larry Bird established a new Celtics' single-game scoring mark by pouring in 60 points versus the Atlanta Hawks.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#816 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:44 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
1) Sam Jones Correct

Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn, Bill Russell, Don Nelson. Not sure if there are more. I don't think KC Jones is in the HOF as a coach.

All correct, and without checking those are all the pro coaches I can think of. Rick Carlisle may make it some day, but he hasn't yet.

There was also at least one college coach.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#817 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:52 pm

I feel like this should be in the riddles thread instead.
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#818 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:57 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:

1) Sam Jones Correct

I suspect you are right about Ainge.

As for Heinsohn. Most years playing in the NBA while never missing the NBA finals. I don't know but I would think there have been some fringe NBA players that only played 1 or 2 years in the NBA but made the finals both years. But Heinsohn only lost in the playoffs once and that was with Russell missing a few games in the finals.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#819 » by Jammer » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:04 pm

Jammer wrote:

Rules:

I blew that one in my memory. I thought Hondo broke Sam's record, then checked regular season games only and concluded I'd been wrong. So yeah, it's harder than I thought.

The McHale and Bird highs were in the 1984-5 season.
The Havlicek high was in 1973.
Sam Jones broke Cousy's record in the 1965-6 season (and tied his own record in the 1967 postseason)
Cousy's record game was in the 1953 playoffs.

If I'm doing this right, Cousy held the record one more season than Havlicek. But Cousy's record was broken in October, while Havlicek's was in March, so the difference is closer to half a year.

As for McHale's tenure, his Wikipedia article says:

McHale continued to come off the bench during the first half of the 1984–1985 season, but moved into a starting role in February 1985 after Cedric Maxwell suffered a knee injury. On March 3 versus the Detroit Pistons McHale enjoyed his greatest scoring night, setting the Celtics' single-game scoring record with 56 points.[8] Two nights later McHale scored 42 points against the Knicks, the only other time in his career he topped 40 points in a game. The 98 points in consecutive games is still a Celtics' record. Nine days after McHale had scored 56 points, Larry Bird established a new Celtics' single-game scoring mark by pouring in 60 points versus the Atlanta Hawks.

Well, technically, Cousy's was before the shot clock (April 1954). So technically, he doesn't count according to your parameters.

But we'll give him credit, anyway.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#820 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:28 am

The three high schools that have produced the most NBA players are Oak Hill (21), DeWitt Clinton in NYC (15) and DeMatha Catholic (14). How many Celtics graduated from one of those three schools and who were they?

What NHL player was a high school classmate of Jason Tatum?

List all of the Celtics (past and present) who have had some association with Duke University. Obviously Tatum is one. can you name the others?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics