ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#1 » by truth18 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Post a review or comments on anything interesting you are reading or listening to, all genres and topics are welcome. I will start us off:

I have recently been listening to My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno. Really cool instrumental album with African rhythmic influences and middle eastern influences: my favorite song (listen with headphones for the awesome bass line). Highly recommended. Would probably be a solid album to get down with your girl to.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-HDlKhoiZY[/youtube]

I bought this live album by Erykah Badu on a whim the other day as well, and its **** amazing. The lyrics in this song are just off the charts. "My cypher keeps moving like a rolling stone"? Incredible. Should also ideally be listened to with headphones. Whole album is solid and not what I expected from a live R&B album. Many extended tracks and improv. Backup musicians are class too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6rDQ1YwBVU[/youtube]

Saw this English metal band Electric Wizard last month. Apparently they are legendary over there. The lead singer's insistence on praising Satan was kinda off putting, but the show was very, very good. I bought their first album after and its great. One of the more readily accessible songs:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdkbqgAmto[/youtube]

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned by modern "Hip Hop" as the years go by. Its just so bad for the most part. Makes me sad. Freddie Gibbs is straight up legit though, I love the production in this song:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxcPy1qJTU[/youtube]

In a Silent Way is just a GOAT album:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMINC9EOZME[/youtube]

Hopefully everyone enjoys at least one of those :) something for everyone
YOU LOSE
truth18
RealGM

Re: The Official Books and Music Thread 

Post#2 » by truth18 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:07 pm

And onto some written stuff:

The Walking Dead comic is so different from the show its worth reading, tons to catch up on if you choose to do so though. Luckily, the trade collections are solid and numerous

This is a great sci fi read. Flys by and the world building is fantastic. Ending is slightly lacking though, he wrote a prologue that you can find online that clears stuff up.

Chose to reread this depressing book for some reason, great technical ability in the writing, and I've noticed a bunch of larger connections that I missed the first time. Some weirdly spiritual stuff going on in the structure.

This isn't anything new, I regularly reread these, but if you haven't read the Four Quartets, you haven't lived, mad NE connections as well:

Your turn! Lets get a solid collection of quality stuff going!
YOU LOSE
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: The Official Music and Literature Thread 

Post#3 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri May 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Love this thread.. I started A.R. Ammon's "Sphere" recently, I'll post a little bit of it.

Looking at my 'recently played' in iTunes, there's a lot I won't cop to, but Richard and Linda Thompson's "Pour Down Like Silver" (album), Prince's 'Sign O'The Times' I just listened to on a long car ride.. will edit this if I can find Youtube embeds and Ammons excerpts..
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect
And1: 82

Post#4 » by FreeDrop » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Just finished Jimmy Connors Bio -- The Outsider.

Now reading Stephen King's Revival.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#5 » by 24istheLAW » Fri May 15, 2015 7:57 pm

If people have podcasts they like, could they share them?
truth18
RealGM

Post#6 » by truth18 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:39 pm

24istheLAW wrote:If people have podcasts they like, could they share them?

+1

Also, can anyone recommend any solid basketball books? I haven't read many.

All Prince is great. Well, most. Sign is a sick song that I totally forgot about.
YOU LOSE
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#7 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri May 15, 2015 9:20 pm

I think some of us may have to write the basketball books. I don't know many good ones, a lot of hagiography, like 'I sit at Red Auerbach's feet adoringly and scribble down his wisdom'.. Or auto hagiography, like "I am Pat Riley, here is my wisdom."
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:14 pm

truth18 wrote:

+1

All Prince is great. Well, most. Sign is a sick song that I totally forgot about.

Clippers fan now? Just noticed that...

As far as basketball books go there are a ton of good ones:

The Dream Team by Jack McCallum is excellent.

A March to Madness and The Last Amateurs by John Feinstein if you want a college read.

The Assist by Neil Swidey is about Charlestown High in MA and is very good.

Forty-Eight Minutes by Bob Ryan and Terry Pluto is great. Really neat take on breaking down a game and its stories minute by minute.

:07 Seconds Or Less and Unfinished Business both also by Jack McCallum are terrific.

Breaks of The Game by David Halberstram is one of the best.

I really enjoyed The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith and The Fab Five by Mitch Albom. Not amazing but short good reads.

Fall River Dreams by Bill Reynolds is about Chris Herren's Durfee High team and is one of my favorites.

I also really like The Miracle of St. Anthony about Bob Hurley Sr.'s high school program. It is by our favorite reporter Woj.

And, I know he isn't always the most popular but Simmons killed it with the Book of Basketball. Really well done and tons of historical nuggets.

I'm about to start the John Stockton biography. It is called Assisted. I will let you know how it is.

Those are my favorites. I have a large library of sports books. Reading and collecting them is one of my hobbies.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#9 » by 15th overall » Sat May 16, 2015 7:40 am

truth18 wrote:All Prince is great. Well, most.

Pretty crazy timing here.

Earlier today I was listening to "When you were mine" on loop (had been too long) because the book that I just finished today made reference to it. Would've embedded it, but all of Prince's studio recordings on youtube have been forcibly muted, that non-YT link's kosher though.

The book was Buried on Avenue B by Peter de Jonge.. a cold case murder mystery that I found in a "please take me" box placed outside of an apartment building in Teele Square in Somerville a few months ago. Finally got around to it a few days ago and while I definitely enjoyed it, not to the point that I would comfortably recommend it to anyone--- yet enough so that i plan to grab the previous book in the series @ the library this weekend. Solid entertainment, nothing more.. but that was pretty much exactly what I needed right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kind of cool--- a medieval cover of Metallica's "One":

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTCiuTUaEvs[/youtube]

...planning on flooding this thread fairly regularly. Been trying to update my location and sig semi often with stuff from a whole bunch of genres but this thread's a lot easier way to go about it.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#10 » by Pacino62 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 am

Love this thread. I was going to do something similar with Film and TV. Should we do another or just make one about Arts and Entertainment. As for music...

Van Hunt released a new album last week that I've had on replay since its release. Headroom and Teach Me a New Language are great tracks. If you don't know Van Hunt, I can't even give you a comparison. lol. Unique.

Also, highly anticipating the release of the Leon Bridges album on 06/23. Can't stop listening to Coming Home and Better Man. I'd compare him to 2010 Aloe Blacc, before mainstream took The Man to places that I don't think Aloe ever wanted to go to.

As for reading...Last book I read was Dark Places by Gillian Flynn on a trip to Disney. Very good if you don't mind dark and disturbing character driven novels. I'm sorry to say, that about 5 years ago, I went from being a 2 book a week reader to hardly nothing now due to schedule. Up at 3:00am and in bed by 9:00pm. Before 7:30am, everything is office work and exercise. I tend to get caught up on a lot of film and TV during the timeframe. A few things to note (sorry Truth if you feel like this is derailing your thread)

***Daredevil on Netflix just may be the best thing Marvel has put on screen

***Ex Machina is a mind numbing and jaw dropping brain fk. Please see it You'll do yourself a favor

***Mad Max:Fury Road-which I saw last night :droop: :droop:
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#11 » by Pacino62 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:54 am

Smitty731 wrote:
truth18 wrote:

+1

Clippers fan now? Just noticed that...

As far as basketball books go there are a ton of good ones:

The Dream Team by Jack McCallum is excellent.

A March to Madness and The Last Amateurs by John Feinstein if you want a college read.

The Assist by Neil Swidey is about Charlestown High in MA and is very good.

Forty-Eight Minutes by Bob Ryan and Terry Pluto is great. Really neat take on breaking down a game and its stories minute by minute.

:07 Seconds Or Less and Unfinished Business both also by Jack McCallum are terrific.

Breaks of The Game by David Halberstram is one of the best.

I really enjoyed The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith and The Fab Five by Mitch Albom. Not amazing but short good reads.

Fall River Dreams by Bill Reynolds is about Chris Herren's Durfee High team and is one of my favorites.

I also really like The Miracle of St. Anthony about Bob Hurley Sr.'s high school program. It is by our favorite reporter Woj.

And, I know he isn't always the most popular but Simmons killed it with the Book of Basketball. Really well done and tons of historical nuggets.

I'm about to start the John Stockton biography. It is called Assisted. I will let you know how it is.

Those are my favorites. I have a large library of sports books. Reading and collecting them is one of my hobbies.

Fall River Dreams is probably my favorite sports read. Love it. I was also a fan of The Jordan Rules, despite not being a huge Jordan fan.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#12 » by Pacino62 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:01 am

truth18 wrote:Post a review or comments on anything interesting you are reading or listening to, all genres and topics are welcome. I will start us off:

I have recently been listening to My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno. Really cool instrumental album with African rhythmic influences and middle eastern influences: my favorite song (listen with headphones for the awesome bass line). Highly recommended. Would probably be a solid album to get down with your girl to.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-HDlKhoiZY[/youtube]

I bought this live album by Erykah Badu on a whim the other day as well, and its **** amazing. The lyrics in this song are just off the charts. "My cypher keeps moving like a rolling stone"? Incredible. Should also ideally be listened to with headphones. Whole album is solid and not what I expected from a live R&B album. Many extended tracks and improv. Backup musicians are class too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6rDQ1YwBVU[/youtube]

Saw this English metal band Electric Wizard last month. Apparently they are legendary over there. The lead singer's insistence on praising Satan was kinda off putting, but the show was very, very good. I bought their first album after and its great. One of the more readily accessible songs:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdkbqgAmto[/youtube]

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned by modern "Hip Hop" as the years go by. Its just so bad for the most part. Makes me sad. Freddie Gibbs is straight up legit though, I love the production in this song:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxcPy1qJTU[/youtube]

In a Silent Way is just a GOAT album:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMINC9EOZME[/youtube]

Hopefully everyone enjoys at least one of those :) something for everyone

Give me a bottle of Cabernet and that Miles track on repeat. Hell, I might have to break down after 8 years and light a cigarette or 2. Love my wife and daughter, but I could be in complete solitude with that.

Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#13 » by Pogue Mahone » Sat May 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Just finally finished Doystoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. It was a brutal read, especially so because I was attempting to put myself into the 1860's Russian mindset while reading it.

I recently read a bunch of the Vacchs' Burke series. It was pretty good with Sacrifice being my favorite. Strega was pretty good, as well.

I live near a community with a bunch of musicians. I am a Studio One guy but I listen to everything. Here are three of my somewhat local favorites that I love to see live.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyxnK92ZY_g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWf7e8ysVOY[/youtube]

Chris McWilliams - Aint Got A Long Time To Live
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#14 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Pacino62 wrote:***Ex Machina is a mind numbing and jaw dropping brain fk. Please see it You'll do yourself a favor

Second this.. It didn't ever totally surprise me but it was amazingly smart and well done
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Been watching Baby Signing Time and Daniel Tiger. Reading "the Hungry Caterpillar", "Everyone poops". Listening to a lot of Raffi and Frozen Soundtrack
Sign here
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#16 » by Pacino62 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:41 am

brackdan70 wrote:Been watching Baby Signing Time and Daniel Tiger. Reading "the Hungry Caterpillar", "Everyone poops". Listening to a lot of Raffi and Frozen Soundtrack

Hahaha. I'm with you. 5 year old daughter. Her new obsession is a Full House repeats, which is far superior to the norm. I actually enjoy reliving my youth. And Frozen?!?! Enough already. 2 years now. My goodness.

humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#17 » by humblebum » Mon May 18, 2015 4:58 am

Man without a country by Kurt Vonnegut is good fun. Brilliant humorist and humanist. Anything by him is interesting.
If you're into epic type stories that are well written the Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller books are great and we're still waiting on the 3rd book.

I throw Prince on when I want to work on my falsetto.

Been listening to Wale's Attention Deficit album and a lot of J. Cole. Stevie Wonder is my go to guy. Sam Cooke, live stuff is crazy.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#18 » by Pacino62 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 am

humblebum wrote:Man without a country by Kurt Vonnegut is good fun. Brilliant humorist and humanist. Anything by him is interesting.
If you're into epic type stories that are well written the Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller books are great and we're still waiting on the 3rd book.

Been listening to Wale's Attention Deficit album and a lot of J. Cole. Stevie Wonder is my go to guy. Sam Cooke, live stuff is crazy.

Oh yeah. I listed the current stuff I'm listening to, but "Songs in the Key of Life" (Stevie), "What's Going On" (Marvin), "Pusherman" (Curtis), "At The Copa" (Cook), are just some of my go to albums. Love just about everything by those artist. Early Motown Marvin, Tops, Temps, Aretha and Stevie, where it was all sunshine and lollipops to the darker stuff of the 70's where a lot of artists started going.

truth18
RealGM

Post#19 » by truth18 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 pm

humblebum wrote:Man without a country by Kurt Vonnegut is good fun. Brilliant humorist and humanist. Anything by him is interesting.

Sam Cooke is a god. That new Cole is solid. I actually met one of his people in the Chicago airport on the way back from Oregon last month and may now eventually meet Cole at some point. I am **** lucky having met tons of musicians, and this was PURE luck, dude just asked me what I thought about Brady because of my shirt and we started talking.

Y'all would dig Raphael Saadiq I think, great neo soul, Stevie appears on the album the first song is off of.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRGGkcKpxgk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHyalVRUXrA[/youtube]

Kurt is good, haven't read enough of him honestly.

15th: Dirty Mind is my fav Prince album, I think its easily his best, which says a lot.

for when we don't do anything this offseason :wink:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jzhLtt_pGQ[/youtube]

Good instrumental songs

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42xON06acjk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ6b5ghZZN0[/youtube]

So Mad Max is solid? My mom and I loved the originals but unfortunately haven't watched them since Mel Gibson said some stuff we could not look past.
YOU LOSE
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#20 » by StojkoVrankovic » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Why limit this thread to just music and literature?

I respectfully say we open it up to everything media related

Podcasts, TV, comedians, soup recipes, etc
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14

Return to Boston Celtics