ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#1381 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:28 am

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:You're going on a one week business trip. Montreal or Toronto? Which City and why?

Depends what you wanna do. For me, at this time of year, I would do Toronto only because I'd watch a Raps game. If you're more of a nightlife guy, then do Montreal. Girls are friendlier and easier to talk to. More nuru massage parlors too. :lol:
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#1382 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:47 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
I've been to Toronto quite a few times for work. Never really enjoyed it much.

Montreal has a much different feel to it, while Toronto too closely resembles US cities to be super interesting enough for me. I saw a game at Rogers Centre when I was there passing through, and didn't do much else. I prefer Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City to Toronto.

I think for me, I have been to Montreal a bunch, and TO, not so much. Toronto is also a much more diverse city, and I think I would enjoy getting out into the neighborhoods, if the trip allowed for it.

Vancouver **** on both.

Yes, Vancouver is a great city.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1383 » by truth18 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:05 pm

Green89 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Montreal has a much different feel to it, while Toronto too closely resembles US cities to be super interesting enough for me. I saw a game at Rogers Centre when I was there passing through, and didn't do much else. I prefer Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City to Toronto.

I think for me, I have been to Montreal a bunch, and TO, not so much. Toronto is also a much more diverse city, and I think I would enjoy getting out into the neighborhoods, if the trip allowed for it.

Vancouver **** on both.

Yes, Vancouver is a great city.

I've had a great time in all three cities. Butchart Gardens were great dosed.

I'm seeing the Breeders tonight.

YOU LOSE
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#1384 » by theman » Mon Nov 6, 2017 9:52 pm

If anyone is looking for a good show in Boston, Paul Thorn will be preforming at the City Winery in Boston on Nov. 14. I saw him earlier in the summer in North Carolina. It is a fun show. If you are not familiar with his music, they call it Americana, a mix of Blues, Rock and Country. Some of the songs are heart felt and some are funny.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#1385 » by Homerclease » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:21 pm

Roy Halliday died in a plane wreck today at the young age of 40.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#1386 » by fallguy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 am

At this point, men in power should raise their hands if they *haven't* sexually harassed or assaulted someone.

Will make it easier to keep track.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1387 » by jmr07019 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Kinda OT kinda not but I started doing yoga the last month or two and man that **** is GREAT! I don't go to classes I just do youtube videos (shout out to user "yoga with adrien" who posts a lot of great videos) which is nice because you can do it for 20-30 minutes instead of an hour or more. Plus you're already home once you're done. I do it once or twice a week. It's a nice change of pace when you've been doing the same thing at the gym for sooo lonnnng. Plus it hits different muscles and stretches muscles I didn't even know I had. Never realized how tight I was and now I stretch almost daily.

Best of all is the mental clarity / focus after a good flow. It's the best thing to put a long day of work / stresses / anxieties behind you.
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1388 » by jmr07019 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Also I'm doing a road trip to Atlanta for NYE. Have somewhat of a schedule but still looking for recommendations. Trip is looking like:

- Dec 26th leave MA
- Dec 27th see Celtics game in charolette
- dec 30th see concert in ATL
- dec 31st see ATL botanical gardens and see Bassnectar NYE concert
- Jan 2nd hike cloudland canyons in GA
- Jan 3 and 4 Nashville, no idea what in nashville I'm gonna do but I heard it's a fun place
- Jan 5th go spelunking in mammoth caves
- January 6th and 7th drive home

Looking for recommendations on:
- things to do in Charlotte
- where to go in the 3 days between charlotte and ATL. I'm thinking Charlestown SC or Savannah Georgia or Asheville NC but open to suggestions.
- what to do in nasheville

Aside - is Memphis worth checking out?
Show Love Spread Love
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1389 » by Pacino62 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:56 am

jmr07019 wrote:Also I'm doing a road trip to Atlanta for NYE. Have somewhat of a schedule but still looking for recommendations. Trip is looking like:

- Dec 26th leave MA
- Jan 3 and 4 Nashville, no idea what in nashville I'm gonna do but I heard it's a fun place

- where to go in the 3 days between charlotte and ATL. I'm thinking Charlestown SC or Savannah Georgia or Asheville NC but open to suggestions.

No clue on Charlotte and Atl. Memphis is a must see though if you're in Nashville!
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
theman
RealGM

Post#1390 » by theman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:14 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Also I'm doing a road trip to Atlanta for NYE. Have somewhat of a schedule but still looking for recommendations. Trip is looking like:

- Dec 26th leave MA

You timing is off slightly.Paul Thorn will be in Nashville on Dec. 29th.

I'd try Rippy's Smokin' Bar & Grill and/or Paradise Park Trailer Resort.

Also, go to the Grizzlies boards. Locals always want to give suggestions.
theman
RealGM

Post#1391 » by theman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Has anyone been to a show at Paradise Rock Club? I am assume parking shouldn't be a problem. How are the acoustics?

I am thinking about going to the Jake Bugg show.
truth18
RealGM

Post#1392 » by truth18 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm

theman wrote:Has anyone been to a show at Paradise Rock Club? I am assume parking shouldn't be a problem. How are the acoustics?

I hate the Paradise. Acoustics are awful. Should be alright for Bugg though as he doesn't play too loud.

Make sure you go to the Paradise Rock Club. Paradise is also a gay club in Cambridge.
YOU LOSE
theman
RealGM

Post#1393 » by theman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm

truth18 wrote:
theman wrote:Has anyone been to a show at Paradise Rock Club? I am assume parking shouldn't be a problem. How are the acoustics?

I hate the Paradise. Acoustics are awful. Should be alright for Bugg though as he doesn't play too loud.

Make sure you go to the Paradise Rock Club. Paradise is also a gay club in Cambridge.

Thanks
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,907

Post#1394 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 pm

theman wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Thanks

On the other hand, the Paradise Rock Club is intimate enough to be close to the artist, which is why I like the place. (Disclaimer: last time I was there was 24 years ago.)
theman
RealGM

Post#1395 » by theman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:On the other hand, the Paradise Rock Club is intimate enough to be close to the artist, which is why I like the place. (Disclaimer: last time I was there was 24 years ago.)

I am through with stadium concerts. Give me a 200 seat hall were only I and a few hundred other people appreciate a good young talent.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,907

Post#1396 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 am

Speaking of The Paradise, I've just watched this Letters to Cleo show recorded there exactly a year ago today. This band sounds better than ever. Of course this show was recorded by a professional crew, so I have no idea how it sounded there.

If you are a Cleos fan, you'll enjoy the hell out of this. Listen LOUD.

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#1397 » by threrf23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm

truth18
RealGM

Post#1398 » by truth18 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm

I finally saw my first UFO.

Ran onto my roof with my telescope to try to figure out what it was and I think I did:

Spoiler:
Huge flock of birds flying at an incredibly high altitude so that they looked like a black orb to the naked eye.

Remember, guys, there's always a rational explanation to this stuff. Really cool though! Looked like a spaceship at first.
YOU LOSE
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1399 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:17 am

theman wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:On the other hand, the Paradise Rock Club is intimate enough to be close to the artist, which is why I like the place. (Disclaimer: last time I was there was 24 years ago.)

I am through with stadium concerts. Give me a 200 seat hall were only I and a few hundred other people appreciate a good young talent.

Totally agree....I lost interest in going to concerts when Stadium concerts became the norm...

I attended allot of rock and blues concerts back in the late sixties and early seventies....My best memories are of seeing all the greats of the time in just such an intimate setting....

After Woodstock happened, I kinda lost interest in music after that....Just too many people....too loud...and too cramped in...

I'm sort of a music snob in that way, I suppose?.... But when it all got so commercial, I checked out....

I suppose that I would be limited now to just such a venue, because of my disabilities.....But if the right show presented itself, I'd still love to go...

Caught "Dead And Company" with John Mayer playing guitar the other night on Colbert...Would love to see their show...But even they are playing these huge areas in big cities now....Did see Bob Weir's other band RatDog some years ago in Portland Maine though....
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1400 » by jmr07019 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:11 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
theman wrote:

Totally agree....I lost interest in going to concerts when Stadium concerts became the norm...

I attended allot of rock and blues concerts back in the late sixties and early seventies....My best memories are of seeing all the greats of the time in just such an intimate setting....

After Woodstock happened, I kinda lost interest in music after that....Just too many people....too loud...and too cramped in...

I'm sort of a music snob in that way, I suppose?.... But when it all got so commercial, I checked out....

I suppose that I would be limited now to just such a venue, because of my disabilities.....But if the right show presented itself, I'd still love to go...

Caught "Dead And Company" with John Mayer playing guitar the other night on Colbert...Would love to see their show...But even they are playing these huge areas in big cities now....Did see Bob Weir's other band RatDog some years ago in Portland Maine though....

A band called "Joe Russo's almost dead" (aka JRAD) is playing at the house of blues in Boston (2,500 capacity I think) in early december. They blow dead and co out of the water in my opinion. JRAD is a little / a lot more fast paced than the grateful dead but the energy they bring to the stage is really something else. Check em out

Setlist:
Set I
Bertha -> Man Smart, Woman Smarter @ -> Reuben & Cerise > Deep Elem Blues # -> Gonesville > Lazy River Road $ (TH) > GDTRFB

Set II
The Music Never Stopped % > Yazoo Street Scandal ^ (MB) -> Mississippi Half Step -> Born Crosseyed Jam -> Dark Star (Verse One) & -> Running Down A Dream Jam * -> Not Fade Away + -> Dark Star (Verse Two) -> Not Fade Away Reprise -> Stella Blue
Encore: Sugar Magnolia/Sunshine Daydream @@

NOTES:
@ – With a Tennessee Jed Tease (SM) & an “Iko Iko” (The Dixie Cups) Tease (MB)
# – With “Hey Bulldog” (The Beatles) (SM) and Easy Wind Teases (Band)
$ – With a “Blackbird” (The Beatles) Tease (TH), First Time Played By Almost Dead
% – With a “Becky” (Benevento Russo Duo) Tease (DD) and an Unknown Tease (MB)
^ – First Time Played By Almost Dead, Bob Dylan & The Band Cover from The Basement Tapes
& – With a Half Step Tease (TH) & a short Let It Grow Jam
* – Instrumental, incomplete version of a Tom Petty Cover (Only the “Woo Hoo” lyrics were sung), First Time Played By Almost Dead
+ – With TH playing “Running Down A Dream” Lyrical Melody over the NFA changes, a “Fat Mama” (Herbie Hancock) Tease (MB) and a Dark Star Tease (TH)
@@ – With a short Stella Blue Jam to end it.
Show Love Spread Love

Return to Boston Celtics