ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#1241 » by truth18 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:48 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
truth18 wrote:You seem the humble type, but I think it's safe to say that you and I have the most eclectic (and the best) taste in music on the forum.

Well, damn... challenge accepted! Made you a mixtape.

Dope. I'll check it later but looks great upon a cursory glance.

My not so secret intention behind that comment was to get people to post music ;)
YOU LOSE
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1242 » by Pacino62 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:16 pm

Rappin 4 Tay! Love it Cap. And no doubt. I'm sure there's peeps with eclectic taste on here. If I was technically literate, I'd post some of my favorites.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#1243 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:17 pm

AlCelticFan wrote:I watched the first season of Ozarks last week. I enjoyed it.

I'm 3 episodes in. So far, so good. Bateman and Linney are both great actors.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager

Post#1244 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:53 pm

truth18 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
truth18 wrote:You seem the humble type, but I think it's safe to say that you and I have the most eclectic (and the best) taste in music on the forum.

Well, damn... challenge accepted! Made you a mixtape.

My not so secret intention behind that comment was to get people to post music ;)

That's eclectic, CC!

I'm in the "everything but country" camp myself.

*Classic rock (I consider that 60s and 70s - big Stones, Floyd and Who fan - but hell, now you hear the CR stations paying Pearl Jam!)
*Funk - more deep cuts than P-Funk (I don't much like their popular stuff, but everything Earth, Wind & Fire did before 1976 is great)
*Hip-hop - more old school; I like Future OK but now everybody's doing that sing-song crap and it sucks
*Jazz - mostly hard bop (basically the Blue Note 60s sound, e.g., Hancock, Henderson, Morgan, Shorter, Carter)
*Jazz funk - late 60s/early-to-mid 70s (e.g., Jimmy McGriff, Reuben Wilson)
*Jazz fusion - same time period (e.g., John McLaughlin)
*Electronic - no dubstep, but I love stuff like chillwave and deep house music
*Pop - as I've gotten older (I'm 40), I have less and less shame about liking catchy tunes. Heck, the new Calvin Harris album has some good tracks.

I try to stay current with what's going on.

A few (well, 24, to be exact) of my favorite tracks from the last year or so, led by my favorite song of 2017 (so far):

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1245 » by truth18 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:10 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
truth18 wrote:

That's eclectic, CC!

I used to feel the same way but The Flying Burrito Brothers' first album and everything Emmylou Harris has done are god tier. Ray Charles has a dope country album as well, forgetting the name atm.

RIP, Graham.
YOU LOSE
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#1246 » by canman1971 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:16 pm

I often have students tell me I have the most bizarre, broad range of music. One student actually said "I've been coming in your room for a year now and I don't think I have ever heard the same song twice." That was certainly not true as he's was just a teenager. But one day I have Floyd on, then Adam Ant and onto the Beastie Boys and back to Jim Croce. I play Yanni, Vangelis onto Metallica and Hollywood Undead. If it hooks me, I will like it. Although I fall into the no new country stuff. And by new I mean post 1980. There is some decent old stuff like Alabama, Willie Nelson and such but not all of their stuff. Just a few tunes.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1247 » by canman1971 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:20 pm

And on top of it, I have a lot of friends who have been in bands for years so my love for a lot of local, not necessarily around me, is quite vast. So much good music out there over the years that so many never get to experience.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1248 » by Disinformation » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:24 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Love to see Juliana Hatfield on there. Not just because I like her music but also because I went to high school with her -- briefly. She was a senior when I was a freshman. I played football with her brother.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager

Post#1249 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:33 pm

truth18 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
truth18 wrote:

That's eclectic, CC!

I used to feel the same way but The Flying Burrito Brothers' first album and everything Emmylou Harris has done are god tier. Ray Charles has a dope country album as well, forgetting the name atm.

RIP, Graham.

I'm not an absolutist - there are good country records - but don't dare turn on a country station while I'm in the car.

Canman and I are on the same page: I too like Alabama and Willie Nelson. I actually stopped saying "I hate all country music" after hearing a good Alabama track.

Is there anything worse than bro country?
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1250 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:30 pm

Has anyone been watching the Unabomber mini series that has been airing on a couple of the DTV channels recently?

It's quite good IMO and it not only documents the story of the infamous Unabomber who terrorized this country with his mail bombs but it also asks some very real questions about how technology may have adversely affected our world.

Though I lived through this era in our history and was concerned about all of the bombings, somehow I missed Ted Kaczynski's reasoning for as to why he felt so compelled to act in the way he did....

This miniseries is doing a terrific job of telling that story.

I gotta say, that sometimes I'm bothered by allot of way we as a society depend upon computers, or our cell phones and the like, and just how that technology has changed our lives during my lifetime.... Ted Kaczynski, who was a Harvard grad with a huge IQ, saw that trend beginning long before anyone realized this was happening and he took it very personally...

Say what you will but this reclusive guy was spot on about allot of it....As was the FBI Agent who profiled him and brought him to justice...

This series is a real eye opener....Check it out!
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Post#1251 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:33 pm

My friend introduced me to this band ~10 years back and something about the intensity of the music caught me.

I used to be in the "everything but country" category, but now I'm in the "everything, including country" category. (Though I can't say I've ever listened to gospel music) As long as it's not pop music masquerading as country I'm good.
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Post#1252 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:36 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:Has anyone been watching the Unabomber mini series that has been airing on a couple of the DTV channels recently?

It's quite good IMO and it not only documents the story of the infamous Unabomber who terrorized this country with his mail bombs but it also asks some very real questions about how technology may have adversely affected our world.

Though I lived through this era in our history and was concerned about all of the bombings, somehow I missed Ted Kaczynski's reasoning for as to why he felt so compelled to act in the way he did....

I gotta say, that sometimes I'm bothered by allot of whey we as a society depend upon computers, or our cell phones and the like, and just how that technology has changed our lives during my lifetime.... Ted Kaczynski, who was a Harvard grad with a huge IQ, saw that trend beginning long before anyone realized this was happening and he took it very personally...

Say what you will but this reclusive guy was spot on about allot of it....As was the FBI Agent who profiled him and brought him to justice...

That all may well be true -- but how did he connect that with killing people? What was the motive?
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1253 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:36 pm

AlCelticFan wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:Has anyone been watching the Unabomber mini series that has been airing on a couple of the DTV channels recently?

I gotta say, that sometimes I'm bothered by allot of way we as a society depend upon computers, or our cell phones and the like, and just how that technology has changed our lives during my lifetime.... Ted Kaczynski, who was a Harvard grad with a huge IQ, saw that trend beginning long before anyone realized this was happening and he took it very personally...

That all may well be true -- but how did he connect that with killing people? What was the motive?

Ted Kaczynski's premise was that we were losing our freedom and becoming a slave to technology....

Guess he was upset that North Western University wouldn't publish his academic papers on the subject and that's what set him off?

He was lashing out at the establishment and his bombs were aimed at those that he felt were responsible...

He was sick....no question...You have to be sick to want to kill someone....or at very least, driven to that..

But it's a pretty interesting subject when you consider that many folks are just now starting to realize how addicted we have become as a society to the point where we must know each others whereabouts on Twitter and follow this...(granted some people more so than others)...but for many it's an obsession...

One thing that made me think was this scene where Fitz, the FBI agent, reveals to Ted Kaczynski in one of his prison visits about driving his car late at night and stopping at a red light.....with no traffic whatsoever around....and how he had felt that he was obedient to that technology.... And another scene where Fits is told that his correct profile was garbage by his superiors....Much in the way that Ted Kaczynski had been told his ideas were garbage as well....

You wonder really....what's different here?

It was quite interesting and eye opening in the way it was portrayed....
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,924

Post#1254 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 am

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,924

Post#1255 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:13 am

And to balance the softness of the above...

Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#1256 » by Leprechaun18 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

You want good music then you need to go old school! Here are some links:[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1257 » by Pacino62 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Leprechaun18 wrote:You want good music then you need to go old school! Here are some links:[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

Hell yes on Player. Love that era. Hall & Oates, Redbone, Winwood, Ambrosia, Henley, Loggins, Tower of Power. So many more.

However, there's countless great music that's been released over the last 30-40 years.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1258 » by canman1971 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

One of my all time favorites. Best band many have never heard. Been around for 20+ years. Real cool dudes too.

[youtube]/youtube]

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,422

Post#1259 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 am

Episode 6 of GoT is out there a few days early.

You guys should watch.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1260 » by 3D Chess » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Episode 6 of GoT is out there a few days early.

You guys should watch.

Yeh, I frequent the ASOIAF reddit and may have given myself an accidental spoiler, but I think I'll wait for 1080p glory. We only get 7 weeks of Thrones this year, I am going to cherish it.

Return to Boston Celtics