ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#1761 » by truth18 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 4:24 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Can't get the Parts Unknown theme song out of my head now.

Queens of the Stone Age, man.
YOU LOSE
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#1762 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:14 pm

truth18 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:Goddamn it, Bourdain.

Kate Spade, Avicii, Chester Bennington and now this.

As someone who has personally struggled with depression and suicide: if you are having these feelings, please seek help or tell a family member or friend. Leaving early is not worth it (unless you have a terminal illness) and hurts a lot of people around you.

Must have been an impulsive decision by someone struggling with depression, for him to do it out of the country like that. Poor Eric Ripert.

I've never struggled with real depression but I do know what it's like to feel like nothing can bring you happiness.

This should really drive home the point that even someone with a job/life that everyone else envied can be beaten down by depression. Depression doesn't discriminate.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#1763 » by Froob » Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:56 pm

Ten seconds into Cudi & Kayne album you can already tell it’s amazing. Shame these two don’t team up more often.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#1764 » by BigTrade92 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 4:56 pm

Whoever on here likes Horror films, needs to go see “Hereditary” immediately.

It’s absoutely insane.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1765 » by truth18 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:05 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:Whoever on here likes Horror films, needs to go see “Hereditary” immediately.

It’s absoutely insane.

Yo so what's the deal with this movie is it actually scary or just a good movie?

The last two movies I was told would actually scare me were great movies, but I never even flinched once let alone felt frightened. A Quiet Place and the Witch.
YOU LOSE
BigTrade92
General Manager

Post#1766 » by BigTrade92 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:25 pm

truth18 wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:Whoever on here likes Horror films, needs to go see “Hereditary” immediately.

It’s absoutely insane.

Yo so what's the deal with this movie is it actually scary or just a good movie?

The last two movies I was told would actually scare me were great movies, but I never even flinched once let alone felt frightened. A Quiet Place and the Witch.

Oh it's scary. It's a slow burn that evolves into one of the most terrifying films I've ever seen. There's a scene early on that's literally a jaw dropping moment.

A Quiet Place was like an above average Twilight Zone episode. The Witch was well made and had great atmosphere, but I never one felt scared as well. The Witch is actually very similar in vein to Hereditary, produced by the same team, but that film is no where near as frightening as Hereditary.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1767 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:00 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:
truth18 wrote:

It’s absoutely insane.

Oh it's scary. It's slow burn that evolves into one of the most terrifying films I've ever seen. There's a scene early on that's literally a jaw dropping moment.

A Quiet Place was like an above average Twilight Zone episode. The Witch was well made and had great atmosphere, but I never one felt scared as well. The Witch is actually very similar in vein to Hereditary, produced by the same team, but that film is no where near as frightening as Hereditary.

Going tonight. Been waiting for so long. As for The Quiet Place, it scared the hell out of me for different reasons. As a father, that feeling of helplessness. I cried hard in that movie. :oops:

That goat in The Witch. Haha
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1768 » by Dannyboy36 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 11:46 pm

It’s absoutely insane.

Not a big horror guy but I’m definitely renting this one. Sounded cool.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1769 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:49 am

BigTrade92 wrote:
truth18 wrote:

It’s absoutely insane.

Oh it's scary. It's a slow burn that evolves into one of the most terrifying films I've ever seen. There's a scene early on that's literally a jaw dropping moment.

So...I feel like saying why would be a spoiler, but I'll just say that I LOVED this movie up until the last 15 minutes. Scary? I wasn't scared. I was extremely uncomfortable. Maybe more so than I've been in a movie in a few years. Probably since Killing of a Sacred Deer. There were a few really good moments. One or two where the entire sold out movie theater gasped (myself included-and I'm sure you did as well. lol). The acting was phenomenal and the score was **** creepy as hell. Really good call on The Witch. That movie followed the same path for me. Great acting, discomfort, feeling of dread and then lost me with 15 minutes left.

Curious to get Truth's (or someone else'e take) after they've seen it.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
BigTrade92
General Manager

Post#1770 » by BigTrade92 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:
truth18 wrote:

So...I feel like saying why would be a spoiler, but I'll just say that I LOVED this movie up until the last 15 minutes. Scary? I wasn't scared. I was extremely uncomfortable. Maybe more so than I've been in a movie in a few years. Probably since Killing of a Sacred Deer. There were a few really good moments. One or two where the entire sold out movie theater gasped (myself included-and I'm sure you did as well. lol). The acting was phenomenal and the score was **** creepy as hell. Really good call on The Witch. That movie followed the same path for me. Great acting, discomfort, feeling of dread and then lost me with 15 minutes left.

Curious to get Truth's (or someone else'e take) after they've seen it.

Yeah the last 15 turns a bit, I guess conventional, but the imagery there is a sight to be hold.

Toni Collette in that last 15 is a thing of nightmares.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#1771 » by Green89 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:31 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Currently on season 4 finale of Line of Duty. Compelling TV if you're into crime drama. Like the early seasons of Spooks/MI-5 (miss you, Jo Portman!) and Luther. Thandie Newton is in season 4.

I don't think I've seen 4, but season 3 with Daniel Mays was good.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#1772 » by exculpatory » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 am

https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article-abstract/39/3/274/4825438?redirectedFrom=fulltex

Monoclonal antibodies are revolutionizing the treatment of countless diseases across multiple specialties.

Burosumab (see the end of the abstract) was approved by the FDA in 5/2018!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,351

Post#1773 » by reload141 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Strange question and not sure I'm allowed to ask this, but piratebay has been down for a while now... can anyone recommend some alternate sites via PM? I'm kind of at a loss of where to go right now...
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1774 » by ZeroTolerance » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
truth18 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:Goddamn it, Bourdain.

Kate Spade, Avicii, Chester Bennington and now this.

As someone who has personally struggled with depression and suicide: if you are having these feelings, please seek help or tell a family member or friend. Leaving early is not worth it (unless you have a terminal illness) and hurts a lot of people around you.

Must have been an impulsive decision by someone struggling with depression, for him to do it out of the country like that. Poor Eric Ripert.

I've never struggled with real depression but I do know what it's like to feel like nothing can bring you happiness.

This should really drive home the point that even someone with a job/life that everyone else envied can be beaten down by depression. Depression doesn't discriminate.

Just want to chime in on Tony...I considered him to be one of the best if not "the best" storyteller of our times...And not just because CNN has billed him that way...He really had a gift of being able to portray the people in everyplace he ever visited...A recent show of his was all about returning to this jungle setting to see a friend of his for "the last time" as he put it...like he knew that he would never return again....

It's harder as you get older to deal with all of life's disappointment, ills and pains....Add in any life long addictions of any kind, and sometimes one more kick in the pants is enough to push one over that edge....Tony seemed to me to have many such problems...But you wonder how someone on the top of his or her game could be so desperate? Like didn't he even recognize his own importance to people like you and me?... it's just so sad that we can lose what little sense and hope that remains to this world in this way? It seems unfair to me...and to anyone who really loved what he did...enjoyed sharing his travel and meeting the world on his terms...

I'm going to miss Tony allot...
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#1775 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:20 am

exculpatory wrote:https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article-abstract/39/3/274/4825438?redirectedFrom=fulltex

Monoclonal antibodies are revolutionizing the treatment of countless diseases across multiple specialties.

I have to teach my Biology students about monoclonal antibodies, though very briefly, as part of the immune system theory. We use the breast cancer drug Herceptin as the main example (along with pregnancy tests). Might look into some of these newer treatments next time I am doing it.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#1776 » by Marvel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 am

reload141 wrote:Strange question and not sure I'm allowed to ask this, but piratebay has been down for a while now... can anyone recommend some alternate sites via PM? I'm kind of at a loss of where to go right now...

For tv and movies?
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1777 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Marvel wrote:
reload141 wrote:Strange question and not sure I'm allowed to ask this, but piratebay has been down for a while now... can anyone recommend some alternate sites via PM? I'm kind of at a loss of where to go right now...

For tv and movies?

Following...
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#1778 » by theman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I went to see Junior Brown last night at the City Winery. I imagine he is not the cup of tea of most people here but he can do every thing from Hank Williams, to Albert King to The Ventures. He is the inventor of the guit-steel, a talented musician and a great story teller/song writer. He doesn't do a lot of talking between songs but is very entertaining. He is 66 years old and did the entire show on a hot stage without taking a sip of liquid. His drummer (Scott Matthews) had an entertaining solo with nothing but a snare drum in cymbal.

The venue was alright but the tables were very small and the room is long and narrow. It was hot just being in the audience. It must have been terrible on stage. Both acts commented on the heat. The sound for the most part was good but there were some moments of feedback.

So if you are into Texas Swing (Not really his style but don't know what else to call it) or just want a different experience check him out.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#1779 » by mbsnmisc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm

exculpatory wrote:https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article-abstract/39/3/274/4825438?redirectedFrom=fulltex

I have an 18-year-old son. If he takes care of himself, doesn't die in an accident, and makes plenty of money he may have 75 years of prime physical health. It would be the equivalent of feeling 30 for 50 years. Nanotechnology, gene therapy, stem cell technology plus whatever amazing developments happen over the next century.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#1780 » by Marvel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Another bad lip reading episode. :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics