ImageImageImage

2018 draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Re: 2018 draft 

Post#381 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:Is it fair to say that Porter jr is a more polished offensive player than Bagley? Porter reminds me of Tatum in that he has a ridiculous amount of moves and counters, great footwork and a great ability to hit contested shots.

Bagley is the better low post scorer but Porter's jumper is far better than Bagley's. So I do think Porter will be there better scorer when they first get to the league.

I think Porter will always be a better shooter. His shot looks excellent and he already has incorporated pull up 3's into his game.For Bagley the 3 is more of a compliment to other things he does and still a work in progress.

Does Bagley have the size and defensive instincts to be a center?

I agree Porter's jumper off the dribble is much better than Bagley's and I highly doubt Bagley's jumper every comes close to Porter's off the dribble. So I do think Porter will be the better scorer out on the perimeter. I do like Bagley's form and I think he has tremendous potential as a catch and shoot guy from 3.

I think he has the defensive instincts and with us seeing 5's get smaller and smaller I could see him playing the 5. I personally think his ideal position is going to be a 4. I think he's going to be a great inside out scorer who is a versatile defender and good rebounder.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#382 » by No-Man » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 pm

jmr07019 wrote:he has far more potential than guys like D Jordan and Tyson Chandler.

really? you must be buying the jumper a ton then, which I don't fully see, really slow mechanically, flat, not versatile at all.

because in terms of been a roll man, understanding how to get there or just athletic prowess to be a stud at finishing, he is no close to Jordan or Chandler
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#383 » by KumaJG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:34 am

Anyone but Donic is fine with me, Don't trust euro prospects.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#384 » by jmr07019 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Fischella wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:he has far more potential than guys like D Jordan and Tyson Chandler.

really? you must be buying the jumper a ton then, which I don't fully see, really slow mechanically, flat, not versatile at all.

because in terms of been a roll man, understanding how to get there or just athletic prowess to be a stud at finishing, he is no close to Jordan or Chandler

I've only watched Bamba once in the game against Melbourne United but I disagree that he does not understand spacing or have the athleticism to be a very good roll man. He can be just as good as those guys as a roll man while being a much better passer, dribbler and shooter from 3 and the FT line. It'll take 6-7 years for him to reach that point but he certainly has the potential.
Show Love Spread Love
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#385 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Bamba is a ~70% FT shooter in HS. That's pretty good touch for a guy his size at that age. Maybe he's not a 3 point threat but he won't be a liability outside dunking like Chandler/DeAndre.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#386 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 pm

KumaJG wrote:Anyone but Donic is fine with me, Don't trust euro prospects.

Didn't Giannis Antetekoumpo change your mind a little?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#387 » by Homerclease » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:

I agree with kuma on this one and I'll tell you why. It's about translatable skills that many Euros and many domestic players who are successful at lower level play that they just don't have.

Guys like Giannis and Rudy Gobert for example had talents that scream elite and jump off the page at any level of basketball on the globe. There's a reason he's called Greek freak, his athleticism and dexterity for a near 7 footer is better than anyone on the planet earth IMO. Same thing for a guy like Lebron who's built like Karl Malone but has basically a guards game. Makes him an impossible cover. A guy like Gobert has the raw size and length to make an impact at any level and the biggest reason he was able to be a success in the pros. His lateral agility for his size shouldn't exist in a human being.

Personally I don't see these traits in Doncic. The court vision and IQ are there to make him a serviceable NBA player for years to come although I feel many of the passes he makes now are turnovers in the NBA but the kid is only 17. We just saw it with Lonzo Ball even in summer league, translating your game to the highest level against world class athletes is extremely difficult.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#388 » by BfB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Please be BAD, Nets and Lakers. Thanks.

Ill add another winner from this, Trevon Duval. Hes going to be in a battle all year for Sexton to be the first PG taken. Now Duval gets to play with Bagley and Wendell Carter as his big men and Grayson Allen and Gary Trent Jr as his two wings. A PG couldnt ask for a better situation in college.

Thats a ton of talent, to be sure, but not sure the fit is that great from a spacing standpoint - only one established shooter among those 5 - they may have to be staggered to get more floor spacing for Duval

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#389 » by KumaJG » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 am

Elrod is Back wrote:

If we are drafting a euro in the later round, sure why not. Using a top 5 pick on one? Hell no.
Almeida
Senior
And1: 753

Post#390 » by Almeida » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 pm

It's so dumb to just discard a player because he's a "euro". I mean, talk about his skills as a player, who gives a **** if he's a euro, that doesn't matter.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#391 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Almeida wrote:It's so dumb to just discard a player because he's a "euro". I mean, talk about his skills as a player, who gives a **** if he's a euro, that doesn't matter.

Why not? Works both ways. Euros get hyped up because they're boys playing against men, unlike their North American counterparts who are playing against kids their age. Remember when Ricky Rubio was supposed to be great, because he made the national team when he was only 17 years old?

My gripe with Doncic has always been his lack of quickness. The guy is slow. His ceiling is Hedo Turkoglu. Nice player, but I'd be pretty sad if the Cs burned a lottery pick on him.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#392 » by ddb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Almeida wrote:It's so dumb to just discard a player because he's a "euro". I mean, talk about his skills as a player, who gives a **** if he's a euro, that doesn't matter.

Why not? Works both ways. Euros get hyped up because they're boys playing against men, unlike their North American counterparts who are playing against kids their age. Remember when Ricky Rubio was supposed to be great, because he made the national team when he was only 17 years old?

My gripe with Doncic has always been his lack of quickness. The guy is slow. His ceiling is Hedo Turkoglu. Nice player, but I'd be pretty sad if the Cs burned a lottery pick on him.

Luka Doncic is ridiculously good for his age. Don't lose sleep about his lack of "quickness". They said the same thing about Durant coming out of Texas... too weak....too slow. Bird wasn't exactly quick either. Doncic has an incredible feel for the game....he does everything well.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#393 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

ddb wrote:

Luka Doncic is ridiculously good for his age. Don't lose sleep about his lack of "quickness". They said the same thing about Durant coming out of Texas... too weak....too slow. Bird wasn't exactly quick either. Doncic has an incredible feel for the game....he does everything well.

Durant is 7 feet tall and his jumper releases at a height of 10 feet. I never recalled seeing anyone being concerned about his quickness. He could shoot over anyone he wanted.

As for the comparison to Bird - come on. Everyone who has ever garnered a comparison to Larry Bird has flopped miserably. Danny Ferry and Adam Morrison come to mind. Bird had great feel for the game, but it was his competitiveness and swagger that made him. Does Doncic possess that? We'll see, but again, everyone who was ever compared to the Legend failed miserably. Not sure why Doncic would be exempt from that.

Doncic is going to be guarded by SGs and SFs once he gets to the league, and those positions are filled with athletic guys. I just can't see him being the star that people project him to be when he has no first step.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#394 » by ddb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 pm

ddb wrote:

Durant is 7 feet tall and his jumper releases at a height of 10 feet. I never recalled seeing anyone being concerned about his quickness. He could shoot over anyone he wanted.

As for the comparison to Bird - come on. Everyone who has ever garnered a comparison to Larry Bird has flopped miserably. Danny Ferry and Adam Morrison come to mind. Bird had great feel for the game, but it was his competitiveness and swagger that made him. Does Doncic possess that? We'll see, but again, everyone who was ever compared to the Legend failed miserably. Not sure why Doncic would be exempt from that.

Doncic is going to be guarded by SGs and SFs once he gets to the league, and those positions are filled with athletic guys. I just can't see him being the star that people project him to be when he has no first step.

twisting my words around. I never said he was Durant or Bird. Not once.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#395 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

ddb wrote:
ddb wrote:

twisting my words around. I never said he was Durant or Bird. Not once.

Then maybe don't reference KD or Bird when addressing Doncic's lack of quickness. Tell me - what trait does Doncic have that will compensate for his lack of quickness? I already addressed your 2 examples - KD has height, while Bird is a killer.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#396 » by Stadium5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Hezonja is another one

Makes me cringe when I see people acting like Luka is the prize in the 2018 draft. No thanks lol
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,963

Post#397 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Yep. The only real Euro superstars to come out have been Dirk who has a ridiculously high release point to go along with a great offensive game and Giannis who is an athletic freak.

All these others guys have been overhyped. Doncic looks like another.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach

Post#398 » by Stadium5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Yep. The only real Euro superstars to come out have been Dirk who has a ridiculously high release point to go along with a great offensive game and Giannis who is an athletic freak.

Doncic could definitely be a Ginobili type player. Who's great but not a top 3 draft potential type guy.

Unless the Euro has a ridiculous shot like Peja or Dirk, or is a 7 footer...I don't take the chance drafting those guys high

And lets be real here..."Euro" usually is used to describe a white prospect from europe lol. They're just not as athletic as their american wing counterparts, and it's a league of ELITE athleticism
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,963

Post#399 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Stadium5 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Yep. The only real Euro superstars to come out have been Dirk who has a ridiculously high release point to go along with a great offensive game and Giannis who is an athletic freak.

Doncic could definitely be a Ginobili type player. Who's great but not a top 3 draft potential type guy.

Unless the Euro has a ridiculous shot like Peja or Dirk, or is a 7 footer...I don't take the chance drafting those guys high

And lets be real here..."Euro" usually is used to describe a white prospect from europe lol. They're just not as athletic as their american wing counterparts, and it's a league of ELITE athleticism

Yep that's what I was getting at but didn't really want to bring up race.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach

Post#400 » by Stadium5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Stadium5 wrote:

Yep that's what I was getting at but didn't really want to bring up race.

Lol yea people are touchy about it. I get it, but there is some reality that comes with it in terms of basketball

Giannis is more alien than he is american or euro

Return to Boston Celtics