ImageImageImage

2018 draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: 2018 draft 

Post#281 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Well, not like Saric is a future all star. We'll see.

Bagley dominates 5'8 white kids in a dunkfest mixtape:

"Holy crap, what a monster. #1 pick!"

Doncic scores 27 points on 77% shooting against grown men and NBA pros:

"Meh, they're not even All-Stars."

It's not about raw numbers and results, it's about translatable skills at an NBA level which Doncic has none.

:roll:

Pretty much every scouting service has Doncic as a high lottery pick next year. He obviously has many translatable skills, let's not go overboard with the hyperbole.
pasfru
Starter
And1: 2,794

Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#282 » by pasfru » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Well, not like Saric is a future all star. We'll see.

Bagley dominates 5'8 white kids in a dunkfest mixtape:

It's not about raw numbers and results, it's about translatable skills at an NBA level which Doncic has none.

I've read some bad posts on here, but this MIGHT just be the worst of the lot.

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:Fine article in The Ringer on the Top Prospects of 2018: https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/11/16117094/nba-draft-2018-marvin-bagley-michael-porter-deandre-ayton

What I took away from it and other observations is that there are Tiers of Players (Going sweetly Chad Ford here)
in this Draft (as there is with every Draft):

Tier I - They Could Be Transcendent

1. Doncic - Best Euro Prospect since Nowitski.
2. Bagley - Exhibits Towns-like qualities despite his inconsistencies.

Tier II - They Could Be All Stars

3. Porter - Offensive juggernaut but where's the defense?

4a. Ayotte - Seems to be a mixture of Hakeem and Green (Jeff not Draymond)

4b. Wendell Carter - The Tatum of this Draft? Should be zooming up the charts and an Ainge favorite.

6. Robert Williams - That reach, those rebounds, the athleticism, another Chart zoomer.

7. Bemba - At the moment he's just a Gobert wannabee with a longer wingspan...

8. Collin Sexton - As of now, he's the Top PG prospect in the Draft, but needs a lot of work at running an Offense.

Bagley is nothing like Towns. Towns was far more skilled at the same age.
pasfru
Starter

Post#283 » by pasfru » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Looks like summer league courts.

I could be wrong, and we have 8 months to worry about it, but I just can't get excited about Jiri Welch with a top 5 pick.

Meh. That's like me calling all black American players Kwame Brown.

There's virtually no similarities between the two.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#284 » by Smog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Looks like summer league courts.

I could be wrong, and we have 8 months to worry about it, but I just can't get excited about Jiri Welch with a top 5 pick.

Meh. That's like me calling all black American players Kwame Brown.

There's virtually no similarities between the two.

Doncic has more in common with Hayward than Jiri. Maybe more of a guard and more of a passer, but height, range, strength, etc.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#285 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Homerclease wrote:It's not about raw numbers and results, it's about translatable skills at an NBA level which Doncic has none.

That's not a thing. Not only is that not true, it's not even a real statement. He's going to be a top 5 pick. That's literally the opposite of what you said.

Stop picking opinions and working from them.

I'm demoting you from "Scouting Expert" to "Advanced Scout"
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#286 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Homerclease wrote:It's not about raw numbers and results, it's about translatable skills at an NBA level which Doncic has none.

I did not realize that passing and shooting were no longer valued in the NBA. Let me put it this way: Doncic is better than Lonzo Ball and two inches taller (and two years younger).
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,389

Post#287 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:Bagley dominates 5'8 white kids in a dunkfest mixtape:

Pretty much every scouting service has Doncic as a high lottery pick next year. He obviously has many translatable skills, let's not go overboard with the hyperbole.

So have countless other guards and wings and NBA teams have been duped into burning lottery picks on them. For every Dirk or Porzingis there are countless other over hyped euro prospects touted as the second coming only to be mediocre when their skills don't translate at the highest level.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#288 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:

That's not a thing. Not only is that not true, it's not even a real statement. He's going to be a top 5 pick. That's literally the opposite of what you said.

Stop picking opinions? Wtf does that even mean?

Yeah he's going to be a top 5 pick, and the team that takes him in the top 5 will be making a massive mistake.

I don't know what this means but try actually debating the topic at hand without slinging personal attacks. You can "demote" me for not agreeing with my opinion all you want, trust me I won't lose sleep over it.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#289 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

I did not realize that passing and shooting were no longer valued in the NBA. Let me put it this way: Doncic is better than Lonzo Ball and two inches taller (and two years younger).

Sure he is, you've proclaimed every euro every year to be the second coming like clockwork so I expect nothing less. Yet I'm told to cut down on hyperbole.
Homerclease
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#290 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:Bagley dominates 5'8 white kids in a dunkfest mixtape:

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:Fine article in The Ringer on the Top Prospects of 2018: https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/11/16117094/nba-draft-2018-marvin-bagley-michael-porter-deandre-ayton

What I took away from it and other observations is that there are Tiers of Players (Going sweetly Chad Ford here)

4b. Wendell Carter - The Tatum of this Draft? Should be zooming up the charts and an Ainge favorite.

6. Robert Williams - That reach, those rebounds, the athleticism, another Chart zoomer.

8. Collin Sexton - As of now, he's the Top PG prospect in the Draft, but needs a lot of work at running an Offense.

Doncic fanboys are some of the most insecure nut huggers ive ever seen, they all fly off the handle when you proclaim that Doncic isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's embarrassing
pasfru
Starter

Post#291 » by pasfru » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm

No one wants another Jokic/Nurkic/Capela!
pasfru
Starter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#292 » by pasfru » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:

Doncic fanboys are some of the most insecure nut huggers ive ever seen, they all fly off the handle when you proclaim that Doncic isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's embarrassing

Or, you know, saying he's an irredeemable bust with no translatable skills.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Homerclease wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

So have countless other guards and wings and NBA teams have been duped into burning lottery picks on them. For every Dirk or Porzingis there are countless other over hyped euro prospects touted as the second coming only to be mediocre when their skills don't translate at the highest level.

What skill does Ball have that Doncic does not?
Homerclease
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#294 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:

Strawman city.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#295 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:39 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

They have the same skills, except Ball is better at everything minus running the pick and roll
pasfru
Starter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#296 » by pasfru » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Doncic fanboys are some of the most insecure nut huggers ive ever seen, they all fly off the handle when you proclaim that Doncic isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's embarrassing

Strawman city.

You literally said he has zero translatable skills. Irredeemable bust isn't much of a stretch from there.
Homerclease
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 draft 

Post#297 » by Homerclease » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Fruit Pastilles wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Fruit Pastilles wrote:Or, you know, saying he's an irredeemable bust with no translatable skills.

Strawman city.
You literally said he has zero translatable skills. Irredeemable bust isn't much of a stretch from there.

Except I didn't say irredeemable bust, hence proving my point about being insecure fan boys. I feel bad for the team that drafts this kid. It's Jeremy Lin all over again with his horde of groupies that will follow
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#298 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Homerclease wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Homerclease wrote:So have countless other guards and wings and NBA teams have been duped into burning lottery picks on them. For every Dirk or Porzingis there are countless other over hyped euro prospects touted as the second coming only to be mediocre when their skills don't translate at the highest level.

They have the same skills, except Ball is better at everything minus running the pick and roll

Ok, so are you arguing possession of translatable skills or level of translatable skills? Because before this post, it was the former.

He can pass. He can shoot. He can create. You're pretty much the only person out there saying he has no skills that translate to the NBA level, and the basis for your argument seems to be "he's a euro".
FakeScreenName123
RealGM

Post#299 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Homerclease wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

Stop picking opinions? Wtf does that even mean?

Yeah he's going to be a top 5 pick, and the team that takes him in the top 5 will be making a massive mistake.

I don't know what this means but try actually debating the topic at hand without slinging personal attacks. You can "demote" me for not agreeing with my opinion all you want, trust me I won't lose sleep over it.

it's not a personal attack. it's an attack on yer opinions when it comes to draft.

You decided you don't like Yabusele cos he 'looks fat' in the face of body fat %, pictures, play style and background.

You decided you don't like Doncic because he has no translatable skills to the NBA when literally everything about him screams modern day, position less, NBA basketball player. Docnic's passing might be his best skill - that's the most transferable skill there is.

You decided Harry Giles was the best player in the draft last year and would be a top pick and would've taken him as a top pick in the face of results/in the face of injury history.

You decided to post 3 months ago that Doncic, Ayton, etc were better propsects than Wiggins, Fultz or Simmons. Now Doncic has no transferrable skills -- cos you decided to hate on him.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM

Post#300 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:[
He can pass. He can shoot. He can create. You're pretty much the only person out there saying he has no skills that translate to the NBA level, and the basis for your argument seems to be "he's a euro".

lolol you shoulda seen 2 years ago he said Frank Nilikinta was a top player, then this draft year he says he sucks and is overrated.

2 years of strong film work game lead to that opinion of anotehr euro I'm sure.

Return to Boston Celtics