ImageImageImage

LA LAKERS 2017-18 Pick Watch Thread * Keep an eye on Brooklyn *

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Re: Brooklyn Nets/LA Lakers 2017-18 Off Season Moves and Free Agency Tracker Thread 

Post#321 » by chakdaddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

I wonder if we'll regret the reverse protection on the pick if it's 6-9 and Bamba falls.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Re: Brooklyn Nets/LA Lakers 2017-18 Off Season Moves and Free Agency Tracker Thread 

Post#322 » by celtxman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

chakdaddy wrote:I wonder if we'll regret the reverse protection on the pick if it's 6-9 and Bamba falls.
I've been wondering since the trade why it wasn't just #1 overall protection period. You always want all of the options available. Maybe I missed it but I don't remember it being brought up.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Cornbread
Senior
And1: 623

Post#323 » by Cornbread » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 pm

celtxman wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:I wonder if we'll regret the reverse protection on the pick if it's 6-9 and Bamba falls.
I've been wondering since the trade why it wasn't just #1 overall protection period. You always want all of the options available. Maybe I missed it but I don't remember it being brought up.

Because there was a chance at that time LA made several win now moves that made the pick a mid first. Better to have two shots at the high lottery than one.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#324 » by jirrit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:45 am

celtxman wrote:

The protection is exactly to have the options available. Maybe should have tried for 2-6 or something but I don't know, they gambled a bit on Sac being a sure top 5 in '18 I guess.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#325 » by celtxman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 am

jirrit wrote:
celtxman wrote:

The protection is exactly to have the options available. Maybe should have tried for 2-6 or something but I don't know, they gambled a bit on Sac being a sure top 5 in '18 I guess.
This is missing the point - if you had the ability to make your own decision it wouldn't matter where the Lakers finished. If you loved players all the way through the top 10 and thought the Kings were going to get much better, you would have the option to get say the 8th pick. So back to the question - how did the pick get limited only through #5? Has it been reported?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#326 » by klemen4 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 am

It's a 5 player draft and 4 of them: Porter, Bagley, ayon and doncic look like nb.1 pick
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#328 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 am

Relax. Danny held on to the Nets picks with a death grip the previous years. He let go of next year's pick pretty easily. This leads me to believe that Ainge and Zarren value that Lakers pick more than the Brooklyn pick.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#329 » by rickrolled » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 am

Should we still monitor the Nets (as if it needs a question) ? Or should it just be a Lakers watch thread ? Haven't heard any reports of the pick being protected (cross fingers) yet.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#330 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:24 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Relax. Danny held on to the Nets picks with a death grip the previous years. He let go of next year's pick pretty easily. This leads me to believe that Ainge and Zarren value that Lakers pick more than the Brooklyn pick.

I can't see why, Lakers look better than Brooklyn by quite a bit and now that Bagley reclassified the 19 draft just got that much weaker and the first pick is off limits.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#331 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 am

rickrolled wrote:Should we still monitor the Nets (as if it needs a question) ? Or should it just be a Lakers watch thread ? Haven't heard any reports of the pick being protected (cross fingers) yet.

People are going to drive themselves crazy keeping track of the Nets pick. I really hope they get off to a great start.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#332 » by rickrolled » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm changing the thread title.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#333 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Relax. Danny held on to the Nets picks with a death grip the previous years. He let go of next year's pick pretty easily. This leads me to believe that Ainge and Zarren value that Lakers pick more than the Brooklyn pick.

I can't see why, Lakers look better than Brooklyn by quite a bit and now that Bagley reclassified the 19 draft just got that much weaker and the first pick is off limits.

Ainge chose the option with lower risk. The Nets might be trash, and could very well end up as the first pick again. If that happens, Danny loses this trade. BUT, if the Nets turn out to be better than expected, then that pick could be 7, 8, 9, maybe higher. That pick won't be so attractive anymore, because by all accounts, that 2018 draft class is top heavy.

Now, by keeping the Lakers pick, Danny doesn't really need to worry about how good or bad the Lakers are. If they're bad, then great - Ainge has a pick somewhere between 2-5 to play with. If the Lakers are good, then the pick rolls over to the following season and now Danny gets the better of the Sixers or Kings' picks in 2019. Those Kings still won't be a playoff team 2 years from now. Not likely at all.

The best case scenario for that Nets pick has a higher ceiling for the Celtics. However, the worst case scenario for that Lakers pick has a higher floor than keeping the Nets pick.

I do agree with you that the Lakers look better than the Nets right now on paper. However, they play in the Western Conference, and that team has players who are likely to be one-and-done. I'm talking about KCP and Brooke Lopez. The Lakers aren't likely to keep them around since they need cap space to go after 2 max FAs next summer. You can bet that both guys, as well as Randle (due for an extension), will be going for their numbers to improve their chances at a big contract next summer on another team. You've also got Lavar Ball, who has the potential to be a huge distraction as well.

Meanwhile, the Nets quietly went 10-11 last season after March. They now have Russell, who will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. They've gotten rid of Lopez, which means that the Nets can now play at a faster pace instead of having to wait for him. They picked up Carroll and Crabbe too - both guys are improvements.

Brooklyn, much like the Lakers, don't really have incentive to tank, but they're in the East, alongside future tankers like the Hawks, Magic, Knicks, Bulls, and Pacers. Meanwhile, in the West, the only other tanking teams right now would be the Kings and Suns.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#334 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 am

BigTrade92 wrote:The Lakers really just replaced Russell with Ball and Young with KCP.

I seriously don't see how they've gotten that much better.
Basketball 101...Russell was NEVER a true lead guard, something all Laker fans knew the minute we drafted him and he was too inconsistent and just didn't work that hard away from court.

Young was NEVER a defender that you need on the perimeter and is nothing more than a streaky shooter most nights. He can have nights when he's a flame thrower or nights when he's a brick layer.

Ball is a TRUE lead guard that already has his guys excited to play with him because they know he will pass the ball or make the right play.

KCP may not be a better deep shooter than Young but his game is more rounded than Young's. Plus he's a way better defender than Young can ever dream of being.

I just explained to you how we got better. It's easier to say things and leave it unexplained, but you're entitled to your opinion.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#335 » by ViperGTS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:32 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:The Lakers really just replaced Russell with Ball and Young with KCP.

Basketball 101...Russell was NEVER a true lead guard, something all Laker fans knew the minute we drafted him and he was too inconsistent and just didn't work that hard away from court.

Young was NEVER a defender that you need on the perimeter and is nothing more than a streaky shooter most nights. He can have nights when he's a flame thrower or nights when he's a brick layer.

Ball is a TRUE lead guard that already has his guys excited to play with him because they know he will pass the ball or make the right play.

KCP may not be a better deep shooter than Young but his game is more rounded than Young's. Plus he's a way better defender than Young can ever dream of being.

I just explained to you how we got better. It's easier to say things and leave it unexplained, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Wrong so wrong. Ball is gonna struggle massively and dare him to shoot. Much like they do to Smart and others here in Boston.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#336 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:38 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Ainge chose the option with lower risk. The Nets might be trash, and could very well end up as the first pick again. If that happens, Danny loses this trade. BUT, if the Nets turn out to be better than expected, then that pick could be 7, 8, 9, maybe higher. That pick won't be so attractive anymore, because by all accounts, that 2018 draft class is top heavy.

Now, by keeping the Lakers pick, Danny doesn't really need to worry about how good or bad the Lakers are. If they're bad, then great - Ainge has a pick somewhere between 2-5 to play with. If the Lakers are good, then the pick rolls over to the following season and now Danny gets the better of the Sixers or Kings' picks in 2019. Those Kings still won't be a playoff team 2 years from now. Not likely at all.

The best case scenario for that Nets pick has a higher ceiling for the Celtics. However, the worst case scenario for that Lakers pick has a higher floor than keeping the Nets pick.

I do agree with you that the Lakers look better than the Nets right now on paper. However, they play in the Western Conference, and that team has players who are likely to be one-and-done. I'm talking about KCP and Brooke Lopez. The Lakers aren't likely to keep them around since they need cap space to go after 2 max FAs next summer. You can bet that both guys, as well as Randle (due for an extension), will be going for their numbers to improve their chances at a big contract next summer on another team. You've also got Lavar Ball, who has the potential to be a huge distraction as well.

Meanwhile, the Nets quietly went 10-11 last season after March. They now have Russell, who will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. They've gotten rid of Lopez, which means that the Nets can now play at a faster pace instead of having to wait for him. They picked up Carroll and Crabbe too - both guys are improvements.

Brooklyn, much like the Lakers, don't really have incentive to tank, but they're in the East, alongside future tankers like the Hawks, Magic, Knicks, Bulls, and Pacers. Meanwhile, in the West, the only other tanking teams right now would be the Kings and Suns.
Well thought out post and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Laker fan. Letting go that Nets pick was the smarter move. You're right Ainge doesn't need to worry about LA at all, and while many don't think LA will be any better than the last season one thing that will be better here is the chemistry.

Also some of the things you mention aren't going to be the way most think. Contrary to what many think, LaVar won't be a problem he wasn't at UCLA and he won't be now. The salary stuff can go their way if they want it too, they can still bring back Lopez and still sign 2 max deals the only casualty being the lost of Randle. But even that can go their way...in the NBA opening space isn't that hard.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#337 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 am

ViperGTS wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:

Wrong so wrong. Ball is gonna struggle massively and dare him to shoot. Much like they do to Smart and others here in Boston.
You might be right but here's the thing...Zo is already a better shooter than what Smart is. Ball is too smart, if teams play him like that (and they will) just move ball and move away to better shooting position. He's 6'6" and athletic, something Smart isn't, so getting shots won't be that much of a problem when you know how to play.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#338 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 am

After reportedly not wanting to trade the Nets' pick for anything, Ainge let go of it with not much resistance -- or so it seems. Maybe he and Zarren suddenly stopped valuing the pick as they did before, or maybe they know that a trade to significantly improve Brooklyn is in the works. A trade in which the Celtics are involved as a third team, perhaps? Such a move would likely impact the Cavs negatively, so I wouldn't put it behind Ainge :)
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#339 » by ViperGTS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Basketball 101...Russell was NEVER a true lead guard, something all Laker fans knew the minute we drafted him and he was too inconsistent and just didn't work that hard away from court.

You might be right but here's the thing...Zo is already a better shooter than what Smart is. Ball is too smart, if teams play him like that (and they will) just move ball and move away to better shooting position. He's 6'6" and athletic, something Smart isn't, so getting shots won't be that much of a problem when you know how to play.

Ball is a better player than Smart overall, agreed but still, they will clamp down on everyone else and that won't work out. Or get a legit defender up in his face and he won't be able to shoot with his mechanics. It's gonna be rough, especially his first few seasons.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#340 » by BigTrade92 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 am

DEEP3CL wrote:

Way to bump an almost two month old post just because you're a Lakers fan and you don't like what I said about your team..... :roll:

Anyways, nahh, still don't see how the Lakers got any better. But hey, come back and bump this post again if I'm wrong come next April. You've got a 50/50 shot. :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics