ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart "It's a different me"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

87rottweiler
Starter
And1: 2,992

Re: Marcus Smart "It's a different me" 

Post#181 » by 87rottweiler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:I believe the robot and its analysis.

**** lol mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#182 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:48 pm

AKFO wrote:
return2glory wrote:Marcus Smart says it's a different me. People here aka Celtic fans come out to diss him. I don't get that.

The guy is feeling good about himself. He has a different believe about himself and his game. Most of sports and life is about belief. How are we to rain on his parade. Good for him.

Honestly, his form looks a lot better. His set point is lower, he gets under the ball better, and he releases it quicker. I may be delusional, but I'm quietly expecting a nice shooting season from Mahcus.

We're still having this conversation? I think he's going to grind away at his shot until it's smooth. We've seen flashes, but it's a tough transition, he has to work at it until the new form is more automatic than the old.

The two questions are how much we should pay to keep him, and whether an offensive growth spurt means you can put IT into trades. (Denver, Orlando, New York are the only teams I'd talk to. Maybe Philly.)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#183 » by brackdan70 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
AKFO wrote:
return2glory wrote:Marcus Smart says it's a different me. People here aka Celtic fans come out to diss him. I don't get that.

The guy is feeling good about himself. He has a different believe about himself and his game. Most of sports and life is about belief. How are we to rain on his parade. Good for him.

Honestly, his form looks a lot better. His set point is lower, he gets under the ball better, and he releases it quicker. I may be delusional, but I'm quietly expecting a nice shooting season from Mahcus.

We're still having this conversation? I think he's going to grind away at his shot until it's smooth. We've seen flashes, but it's a tough transition, he has to work at it until the new form is more automatic than the old.

The two questions are how much we should pay to keep him, and whether an offensive growth spurt means you can put IT into trades. (Denver, Orlando, New York are the only teams I'd talk to. Maybe Philly.)

If he improves significantly on offense he could get a mini brinks truck. I really think the Cs should try to extend him before the season.

the fortunate thing...with a strong free agent crop and only a handful of teams with cap space, I expect there won't be huge RFA offer sheets flying around.

It certainly could get interesting next offseason.
Sign here
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#184 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Sep 6, 2017 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#185 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:07 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

240 lbs is a TON for a PG--KO is listed at 238, for context. Smart needs to lose another 5-10, IMO. 210-215 is where he should be.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#186 » by Avalanche » Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:08 pm

A bit of extra explosiveness would obviously be great... but if I'm Smart's agent, knowing it's a contract year and I've told him to do anything other than shoot all summer long, I haven't done my job properly

a .430/.320/.800 Marcus increases his earnings by millions
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#187 » by Edug27 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:12 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

240 lbs is a TON for a PG--KO is listed at 238, for context. Smart needs to lose another 5-10, IMO. 210-215 is where he should be.

Contract year.. of course.. the time when a player starts focusing on their most glaring weaknesses
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#188 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:20 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

But in his 1st 3 years in Boston, he was not a full-time PG. He was asked to fill in the gaps and become a PF, SF, SG, QB, LB, RB, 3rd baseman. Hope he didn't lose much in terms of strength, but I do like a more explosive, quicker Smart.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Post#189 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:02 pm

I hope so! It will be good for the Celts and him. Not going to hold back my disappointment of his half-assing it until pay year though. If he put in this work before now, who knows how good he could have been, could've made us a much better team.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#190 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:30 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

But in his 1st 3 years in Boston, he was not a full-time PG. He was asked to fill in the gaps and become a PF, SF, SG, QB, LB, RB, 3rd baseman. Hope he didn't lose much in terms of strength, but I do like a more explosive, quicker Smart.

Excellent list of positions Smart was asked to play, but you missed one, shot-putter. As the team's designated 3/4 court or greater shooter, I think he qualifies.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#191 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:32 pm

Smart, Randle, and a little bit Okafor putting in a ton of work this summer.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#192 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:35 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
AKFO wrote:Honestly, his form looks a lot better. His set point is lower, he gets under the ball better, and he releases it quicker. I may be delusional, but I'm quietly expecting a nice shooting season from Mahcus.

If he improves significantly on offense he could get a mini brinks truck. I really think the Cs should try to extend him before the season.

the fortunate thing...with a strong free agent crop and only a handful of teams with cap space, I expect there won't be huge RFA offer sheets flying around.

It certainly could get interesting next offseason.

Yeah I mean, I don't know who Smart is if he fixes his shot and gets quicker/slimmer without losing strength. I'd be comfortable with him as a combo guard long term, but don't know if he starts next to Kyrie or comes off the bench. Sounds like he could move definitively ahead of Terry Rozier, but Rozier has some natural gifts Smart doesn't and looks like he could make a breakthrough of his own.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#193 » by Disinformation » Wed Sep 6, 2017 11:39 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 7, 2017 12:18 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Okafor

CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#195 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Sep 7, 2017 1:19 am

Edug27 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Go, Cobra, go!

Contract year.. of course.. the time when a player starts focusing on their most glaring weaknesses

Whatever it takes to motivate these guys works for me
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#196 » by SichtingLives » Thu Sep 7, 2017 3:19 am

blah blah blah. taking it off in the offseason is easy. maintaining that weight through the grind is where the money is made. rooting for you marcus. but i'll believe in you when you earn it.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#197 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Sep 7, 2017 3:37 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

It's not a terrible idea though. He could probably be had for a late first, it's only a two-year commitment if it doesn't work, and he's pretty talented.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#198 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:14 am

Let's do shots
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#199 » by GoGreen » Thu Sep 7, 2017 7:28 am

SichtingLives wrote:blah blah blah. taking it off in the offseason is easy. maintaining that weight through the grind is where the money is made. rooting for you marcus. but i'll believe in you when you earn it.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, I'm not exactly thrilled he decided to be a "new" him the off season before a contract year. We'll see how his season goes.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 7, 2017 11:13 am

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

It's not a terrible idea though. He could probably be had for a late first, it's only a two-year commitment if it doesn't work, and he's pretty talented.

Honestly, if we're offering a late first for a lottery ticket, I'd rather offer it for Julius Randle, who's passing/rebounding combination could work well here.

Return to Boston Celtics