ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart "It's a different me"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,457

Re: Marcus Smart "It's a different me" 

Post#141 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:46 pm

m haynes wrote:I'll make this easy. M Smart is a Jag. IMO he stinks, He has No offensive game. He works hard on defense but he is not close to being great. If anyone says anything positive on his offensive game is a complete HOMER.

I know the green font means..something..around here, but to a small degree, this statement is kind of true.
jordb2k7
Pro Prospect
And1: 890

Post#142 » by jordb2k7 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
m haynes wrote:I'll make this easy. M Smart is a Jag. IMO he stinks, He has No offensive game. He works hard on defense but he is not close to being great. If anyone says anything positive on his offensive game is a complete HOMER.

I know the green font means..something..around here, but to a small degree, this statement is kind of true.

I'll say that he's a willing and pretty good passer on offense.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#143 » by Half-Full » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:02 pm

jordb2k7 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

He is absolutely a willing and pretty good passer. Hopefully, Marcus will improve his shooting percentages, as there is no argument that he needs to improve his offensive game. While acknowledgement is given that "he works hard on defense," that is selling him a bit short. Marcus is also capable of matching up with players at every position, certainly 1-4, and that is a big plus, as is his toughness, tenacity, and his ability to change the momentum of a game. His intensity, diving for loose balls, ripping the ball out of a player's hands, fighting for rebounds, all serve to inspire his teammates. He smells pretty good to me. :)
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#144 » by Edug27 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:29 am

Half-Full wrote:
jordb2k7 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

He is absolutely a willing and pretty good passer. Hopefully, Marcus will improve his shooting percentages, as there is no argument that he needs to improve his offensive game. While acknowledgement is given that "he works hard on defense," that is selling him a bit short. Marcus is also capable of matching up with players at every position, certainly 1-4, and that is a big plus, as is his toughness, tenacity, and his ability to change the momentum of a game. His intensity, diving for loose balls, ripping the ball out of a player's hands, fighting for rebounds, all serve to inspire his teammates. He smells pretty good to me. :)

He can't shoot. He can't drive to the basket. Can't create his own shot. Got 70 points rung on his head by Booker. Dudes overrated.
m haynes
Junior
And1: 133

Post#145 » by m haynes » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
jordb2k7 wrote:

He can't shoot. He can't drive to the basket. Can't create his own shot. Got 70 points rung on his head by Booker. Dudes overrated.
Hey that 70 wasn't his fault. He was trying to cover all the players ( " matching up with players at every position" )on the court ! :D :D
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#146 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Contract year for Marcus. It's now or never for him

My guess is "now." But I am a Marcus fan. I think it will be an IQ test for NBA GMs if Marcus becomes a free agent by seeing who aggressively tries to sign him.

Playing guard exclusively will help him, especially if he regains some of his quickness with a weight loss. Big if, but far from a pipedream. It is not like he has an eating disorder or a dubious commitment to hard work.

I don't think the Cs trade Avery unless they expect Marcus to fill the void and then some.

I am reminded of the time, in 2015 I believe, that Brad was asked what position Marcus plays. This was back when the debate was whether Marcus was a 1 or a 2.

His response: "Winner."

I agree. When the game is on the line, his shooting percentage gets better, like DJ. He rarely goes more than a few games without making a defensive play that boggles the mind. You never have to wonder if his head is in the game. Ever.

He is the sort of guy that if he played on the opposing team you would hate him, like Rodman. He is Red's kind of guy, an instigator.

Marcus seems like a dream guard to come off the bench for 25 mpg. With Tatum and Hayward there will be less pressure on him to be a main scoring option. He has a key role to play on a championship team.

Marcus just turned 23. On any other contender he would be considered the young guy, the future. Only on a team with fully eight players on the roster having even less experience than Marcus can someone like Marcus be considered a middle-aged guy who has peaked and is approaching the downward slope of his career.

Word.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#147 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 am

Read on Twitter

"MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!"
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#148 » by return2glory » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 am

Marcus Smart says it's a different me. People here aka Celtic fans come out to diss him. I don't get that.

The guy is feeling good about himself. He has a different belief about himself and his game. Most of sports and life is about belief. Who are we to rain on his parade. Good for him.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#149 » by return2glory » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:25 am

CrowderKeg wrote:
Read on Twitter

"MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!"

I'm glad that was Marcus Smart and not Jaylen Brown.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#150 » by GoGreen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 am

Nice to see people calling Marcus out. I've met too many Cs fans who jump down someone's throat if he's criticized.

But I hope it is a "new Marcus." Honestly though, I'm not going to be too optimistic. Like many have pointed out, he looks chubby and shooting those half court 3s I can't imagine would help him out in a real game. I'd like to see how his shot looks then, with someone in his face.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#151 » by AKFO » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 am

return2glory wrote:Marcus Smart says it's a different me. People here aka Celtic fans come out to diss him. I don't get that.

The guy is feeling good about himself. He has a different believe about himself and his game. Most of sports and life is about belief. How are we to rain on his parade. Good for him.

Honestly, his form looks a lot better. His set point is lower, he gets under the ball better, and he releases it quicker. I may be delusional, but I'm quietly expecting a nice shooting season from Mahcus.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#152 » by Spin Move » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 am

If Marcus can become an average shooter he is worth keeping on the team for the right price with his defense and passing, he can be out backup PG. not ideal for a top ten pick but hey a 2nd unit matters if you want to run deep into the playoffs.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#153 » by SichtingLives » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 am

He disappointed me last year. I expected more and he didn't deliver. So no, there can be no optimism. Not now. He has to show it. He has to be better or his ass is next out the door.

Let's go Marcus.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#154 » by Baller1234a » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Spin Move wrote:If Marcus can become an average shooter he is worth keeping on the team for the right price with his defense and passing, he can be out backup PG. not ideal for a top ten pick but hey a 2nd unit matters if you want to run deep into the playoffs.

If He can be a decent shooter imo he's near all star level player
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#155 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:29 am

Would a 4year 60million dollar RFA offer be something Boston would not match? Assuming you plan to bring IT back for 20-25M per
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#156 » by OFWGKTA » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:55 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Would a 4year 60million dollar RFA offer be something Boston would not match? Assuming you plan to bring IT back for 20-25M per

If IT's only costing us 20-25 mil then we probably match, but IT getting/taking that little is unlikely.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#157 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:33 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Would a 4year 60million dollar RFA offer be something Boston would not match? Assuming you plan to bring IT back for 20-25M per

Even with a great year, i'm not sure Marcus is going to get that kind of offer with free agency Nuclear winter coming. The teams with the cap space will use it on superstars/very good all stars. The middle of the back players with upside won't be getting the 60m deals this year.

It's all the players association who did this and allowed KD to go to the Warriors by not accepting a salary cap smoothing out. Basically it would have lowered the first year jump to increase it more the next 4 years instead.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#158 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:43 pm

Smart will be moved before the trade deadline it's inevitable. Ainge is not going to pay him market value and is not going to lose him for nothing. Smart will be included in a multiplayer trade before the deadline in my opinion.

Come mid Oct 2017 when Smart is eligible to sign an extension Ainge will offer Smart something like a 3 year deal at $18-21 million. If Smart doesn't accept the deal Ainge will move Smart. Shouldn't surprise anyone. That's what Ainge does.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#159 » by jmr07019 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:35 pm

Smart will sign an extension in the fall. People will freak out that he's over paid. After 2 years Snart will be considered underpaid. Crowded will be moved to save money since he is redundant with Brown, Tatum, and Hayward.
Show Love Spread Love
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#160 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:55 pm

I almost don't want him to improve (I know he has it in him to raise his offensive game -- lol I didn't mean offensive as in deplorable). Just enough to keep helping the team win like he always does but not too much that other teams would want to throw loads of money his way. He can do that once he's locked up to a team-friendly contract. He's the type of off-the-bench, do-whatever-it-takes guy you want on a title team. But you don't want him getting paid like a starter if that makes any sense.

I just don't see good value in return if Smart and/or Crowder gets traded. Late 1sts are blah. One-dimensional bigs that you have to pay beyond next season don't seem worth it either. But luxury tax would be on Danny's mind so it won't surprise me if either or both get moved for an expiring plus future pick by midseason esp. if guys like Rozier, Brown, and Ojeleye step up.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics