ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart "It's a different me"

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Re: Marcus Smart "It's a different me" 

Post#321 » by SMTBSI » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Flip, flip ,flippidy dooo,
its time to flip marcus,
its the right thing to do

I'm trying very hard not to be reactionary. Small sample sizes / extenuating circumstances abound.

But, it is beginning to feel strategically sensible.

irving / rozier / larkin
brown
tatum
morris
horford / baynes / theis

What two targets can you acquire to shore up the middle of that, using only (something like) the following:

smart / nader / ojeleye / yabusele
'18BOS1st(15-30) -> '18BOS2nd(31-55)
'19LAC(15-30) -> '20LAC(15-30) -> '22LAC2nd
8.506000 DPE
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,038

Post#322 » by jfs1000d » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I would trade anyone who can help the team In The short and long term. That said, we are really gonna miss bradleys shooting. Brown isn't that type of shooter and with no Hayward, Marcus isn't either. Go with rozier as the starting SG. We got Morris to hell defend Lebron and Giannis, and he did t okay. What ya gonna do?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#323 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
its time to flip marcus,

Ban.

Sorry, I know you have a cult following, yer like the human Gilmore Girls or smtn... but we gotta enforce the rules. Rules say that if yer a Celtics fan you enjoy winning. And Marcus Smart is a winner and will have rings in his career.

I guess he could eventually play in China. But I only care about World Championships, and those are exclusive to America man.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,459

Post#324 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
its time to flip marcus,

Ban.

Sorry, I know you have a cult following, yer like the human Gilmore Girls or smtn... but we gotta enforce the rules. Rules say that if yer a Celtics fan you enjoy winning. And Marcus Smart is a winner and will have rings in his career.

I like marcus a lot, one of hia biggest fans but business is business.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,628

Post#325 » by Asian Celtic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am

I see a lot of Bipolar mindset in here regarding sample size.

1) Marcus Smart shot good in the Preseason = but it's preseason and a 4 game sample size is nothing.
2) Marcus Smart shot terrible in a 2 game sample size = He'll forever be a bad shooter.

Fact is when Smart shoots good and makes winning plays everybody rides his jock. When he shoots you out of games = he's trash he can't shoot to save his life.

what a weird fanbase on this forum :roll:
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#326 » by BfB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 am

jfs1000d wrote:
BfB wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Smart is quicker and more explosive. His issue, in games 1 and 2, and especially last night, he's trying to hard. He's forcing things. He's better when he lets the play develop and doesn't try to do too much.

I think he will be fine. Those wanting Morris to start with Tatum and Brown...all three are below average players. If that's the case, Kyrie can't play off ball. So, this is a major issue to be honest. And hayward was going to be the guy to initiate and run the offense through. Kyrie is a finisher.

Morris/Tatum/Brown are almost assuredly going to be starting.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Sorry BFB. Meant to say below average ball-handlers.

I can see those 3 starting, but, Marcus and/or Rozier is going to on the floor very soon. Who is secondary ball-hanlder? Horford would is it because the C won't defend on the perimeter.

Agree. Sad as it is, Morris/Rozier are uber-important for dictating defenses this year. I'm all-in on Rozier's "Bledsoe" potential, but it's Morris that intrigues more this year.

Marcus Morris has never played as a clear third-option, let alone with up to 3 players (Tatum/JB/3Stix) of superior near-term skills. I think Morris is going to feast on the current situation.

If anything, I think GH's presence would have increased his hubris - a credit to him, but not current circumstance.

I see Morris as most likely to establish a FAR larger market value...and his and TRoz's play will dictate Smart's contract decision.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,327

Post#327 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am

its time to flip marcus,

I've been in this category for awhile, I have to admit, I've never really been a Marcus fan,
and wasn't a Rozier fan, but based on preliminary samples, Rozier seems to have made a Bledsoe-ish type leap,
so if you can only give out one extension between Smart and Terry Soprano, Rozier seems to be the guy.

But who exactly can you trade Smart and his historically bad shooting to?

The Knicks have shown a lot of interest in the past, and Willy there is barely playing with Zinger, Kanter, and O'Quinn off the bench,
so a Smart for Willy deal actually makes sense, except Cap-wise, for both clubs. New York's backcourt of Sessions and Lee is awful, Smart could start and infuse the club with some top notch defense.

Oklahoma would be a terrific destination for Smart, but what do they have to trade?

Smart to Dallas for Noel, unlikely he would approve the trade?

The Pelicans sure could use him, but they once again have nothing to trade.

Could you do something like Smart and something extra for Bam-Bam there in Miami? Miami could use a first round pick or two...

Portland has a surplus of Big Men. Smart for Zach Collins works in the Trade Checker.

Ideally, you would like to move Smart for a young big like Collins or Bam-Bam or Willy...
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#328 » by ryaningf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

I thought he had perhaps his worst floor game as a Celtic on Wednesday, bad passes, poor decisions, the ball stuck in his hands, and he just looked off. Makes sense now.

EDIT: I'm not advocating any trade at this point but if we do start shopping 2 names I'd be heavily interested in: Nerlens Noel and Aaron Gordon. Both guys are in similar contract situations to Smart, though I believe we wouldn't retain Noel's bird rights if we acquired him (which makes it a lot less appealing).
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,005

Post#329 » by sam_I_am » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:20 pm

ryaningf wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought he had perhaps his worst floor game as a Celtic on Wednesday, bad passes, poor decisions, the ball stuck in his hands, and he just looked off. Makes sense now.

EDIT: I'm not advocating any trade at this point but if we do start shopping 2 names I'd be heavily interested in: Nerlens Noel and Aaron Gordon. Both guys are in similar contract situations to Smart, though I believe we wouldn't retain Noel's bird rights if we acquired him (which makes it a lot less appealing).

He was jusst as terrible in the Bucks game before he rolled his ankle - maybe worse.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#330 » by Edug27 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:
its time to flip marcus,

Ban.

I like marcus a lot, one of hia biggest fans but business is business.

I despise Marcus a lot, one of his biggest haters. This isn't business. It's common sense. Move him.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#331 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Marcus is always going to fill vacuums he shouldn't but that situation gets resolved when the vacuum is filled by the right person.

If we trade him it should be for somebody like Beverley - if we lose his toughness without a suitable replacement, it'll be alarmin' how Charmin we'll feel.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#332 » by 3D Chess » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:38 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
ryaningf wrote:
Read on Twitter

He was jusst as terrible in the Bucks game before he rolled his ankle - maybe worse.

http://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=1&GameID=0021700007&GameEventID=51&Season=2017-18&title=MISS%20Antetokounmpo%204%27%20Driving%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup&sct=plot

It happened 4 minutes into the game, and it looked pretty nasty.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Re: RE: Re: Marcus Smart "It's a different me" 

Post#333 » by ballup » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:I see a lot of Bipolar mindset in here regarding sample size.

1) Marcus Smart shot good in the Preseason = but it's preseason and a 4 game sample size is nothing.
2) Marcus Smart shot terrible in a 2 game sample size = He'll forever be a bad shooter.

Fact is when Smart shoots good and makes winning plays everybody rides his jock. When he shoots you out of games = he's trash he can't shoot to save his life.

People overreact and can't see the bigger picture.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#334 » by liveod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Tiro needs more burn - now he will get it.
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,404

Post#335 » by Gurton Buster » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:I see a lot of Bipolar mindset in here regarding sample size.

Exactly its only been 2 **** games. And now there's news that Smart suffered an ankle sprain that affected him last game and will force him to miss tonight's game.

After 2 games into the preseason everybody was saying "pay him 15+ mil, skinny smart, and 6moy" and now 2 games later its "trade him, he sucks, cant shoot". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 10,036

Post#336 » by Jakeopp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 pm

This is his fourth year in the league, he's always been a terrible shooter. It's not ridiculous to say that he'll likely always be a bad shooter.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#337 » by ermocrate » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 pm

3D Chess wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
ryaningf wrote:
Read on Twitter

http://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=1&GameID=0021700007&GameEventID=51&Season=2017-18&title=MISS%20Antetokounmpo%204%27%20Driving%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup&sct=plot

It happened 4 minutes into the game, and it looked pretty nasty.

Was the other ankle, that's not a good reason to hold the ball for 15 seconds when you play PG or not see any teammate while he cuts.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Lovegun
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#338 » by Lovegun » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 pm

I dont like that he is a bad shooter, but I hate how much he shoots considering this. Other than that he is great, freaking great.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,745

Post#339 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Gurton Buster wrote:After 2 games into the preseason everybody was saying "pay him 15+ mil, skinny smart, and 6moy

Not me but I think you already know that. :wink:
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#340 » by KGboss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Looks like the same Smart to me.

Return to Boston Celtics