ImageImageImage

Jaylen browns next step

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Jaylen browns next step 

Post#1 » by darylbe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:23 pm

I think with these summer league performances, granted it's just summer league, it's easy to like tatum, and almost feel if JB isn't outperforming, it's a disappointment or failure.

So regarding this season, what is the next step you want to see from JB?

Last season thru post season, he seemed to be good with defending his man. Even LeBron for the brief times (I know, guard LeBron for a full game, he'll get fouled out, I get it).

I think JB stepping up his defense would be huge. Like, contributing to the defense as a whole, rather than focusing on his one guy.

Defense and slashing, I'll take it.

Sent from my LGMS428 using RealGM mobile app
jordb2k7
Pro Prospect
And1: 890

Re: Jaylen browns next step 

Post#2 » by jordb2k7 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:31 pm

His ball handling needs a lot of work that's what i'd like to see a big improvement on. His shooting got better throughout the year and no reason to expect that to continue. Same with his Defense i think all of those are going to improve. He seems like he will put in the work so I'm anxious to see how he looks come this fall.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#3 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 pm

jordb2k7 wrote:His ball handling needs a lot of work that's what i'd like to see a big improvement on. His shooting got better throughout the year and no reason to expect that to continue. Same with his Defense i think all of those are going to improve. He seems like he will put in the work so I'm anxious to see how he looks come this fall.

Yea, his stroke looks good. Honestly I think he might have a shot at starting at the 2. Having IT and Hayward definitely helps him as he will not get too much attention from opposing defenses, and wont have to handle the ball too much.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#4 » by Bluewhale » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm

JB is a hard worker. He will be fine, sooner or later.

Trust the process.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#5 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Finals MVP.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#6 » by SLCceltic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:49 pm

As already stated Jaylen needs for his shot to get consistent and to keep improving his handle .
ROYALGREEN
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#7 » by CelticsLV » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Becoming better at what he was doing last season - mainly being better 3&D player. SL proved he's still far from reliable with ball in his hands.
green banners
Ballboy
And1: 40

Post#8 » by green banners » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 pm

His jumper is coming along, midrange and deep. The floor is gonna open up like crazy once people have to respect his shot.

I'd like to see him start posting up smaller guards more often as well. With him and Gordon on the floor together, there should be a lot of size mismatches on the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#9 » by cl2117 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Ball handling for me is #1 right now. He's so athletic, but his handles really hold him back. I think he'd blow by a lot more guys if improved his ball control. It even betrays him in transition sometimes.

His shooting would obviously be ideal, but I think that's a longer process. I also think it's somewhat related though. He finds himself in some bad situations because he can't dribble himself out of them and then launches up a bad or contested shot. I really think if he could handle the ball more confidently it'd open up a lot of thins for him.

Jaylen is a worker, I expect him to eventually craft his game into something impressive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an Avery Bradley-esque slog at the start. I think he might just will himself into being a more well rounded player, he just needs time to do it.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#10 » by VeryMuchWoke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 pm

This year I'm mostly looking for a big step forward in his 3&D skillset: Team D awareness, Defensive anticipation, Shooting consistency/range/accuracy, improved ballhandling, and picking his spots on offense. Once he has that down he'll have plenty of minutes to improve his ballhandling and playmaking.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#11 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:03 pm

He's gotta be able to dribble the ball and hit a pull up jumper without hitting hte backboard. BUt it's all about dribbling with him
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#12 » by KumaJG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 am

Needs to improve on a lot things before he is even a solid starter. The skill and BBIQ aren't there. Doesn't yet read the defense well. His defense still terrible. Handle is shaky as hell. Raw as a shooter. Needs to be better as a finisher. His bet is a Ricky Davis type player because I don't see him becoming a star because he doesn't do anything elite.

Hell at this point in time, Brown is that not much better than Semi.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#13 » by Edug27 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:48 am

Starter.
Hit the open 3 at a solid %.
Attack the paint and get to the line.
Plan within himself on offense. Don't try and do too much.
Bring focus and energy on defense.

I want all of that next season!
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,983

Post#14 » by Jakeopp » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:03 am

KumaJG wrote:Needs to improve on a lot things before he is even a solid starter. The skill and BBIQ aren't there. Doesn't yet read the defense well. His defense still terrible. Handle is shaky as hell. Raw as a shooter. Needs to be better as a finisher. His bet is a Ricky Davis type player because I don't see him becoming a star because he doesn't do anything elite.

:crazy:
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#15 » by captain green » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:44 am

Jakeopp wrote:
KumaJG wrote:Needs to improve on a lot things before he is even a solid starter. The skill and BBIQ aren't there. Doesn't yet read the defense well. His defense still terrible. Handle is shaky as hell. Raw as a shooter. Needs to be better as a finisher. His bet is a Ricky Davis type player because I don't see him becoming a star because he doesn't do anything elite.

:crazy:

Lol uh ok
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#16 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 am

Semi? lol not even in the same area cod. JB has some things to improve but this is a crazy hot take.

For now he is a 3-and-D guy with good open court skills. He's getting most of his mins at the 2 spot.

things to work on:
- posting up smaller guards when the opportunity arises
- making quick decisions to slash to the rim
- moving without the ball to receive in better spots
- passing in the flow of pace and space
- ballhandling, but it's not the achilles that people are making it out to be -- he isn't much worse than bradley if at all.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#17 » by tlee324 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 am

He's utilizing raw athletic gifts more than basketball skill to get his production right now, which is perfectly fine, but I am agreeing with those saying his handle offensively is his number one need for improvement. Defensively, I think things will come to him with more experience, repetition and coaching. We've seen Avery come in pretty raw and look awful at times as he developed, and the door for him to do the same is wide open (and the ceiling is much higher, in my opinion).

He's putting a lot of pressure on himself, and I'm concerned he's going to try and do too much at once. I think if he puts maximum effort into a few things rather than ALL things, he could burn out or not develop correctly. I could be just overly concerned over nothing, though, lol.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#18 » by Tiny ball » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 am

If he could just dribble correctly and not turn the ball over he would be on his way to stardom. I am not holding my breath.
traax
Junior
And1: 499

Post#19 » by traax » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

He is an amazing athlete, with a very limited skillset. He has not a single stand out basketball skill. I think his ceiling is a decent 3&D guy with some talent in the fastbreak.
BlewOut
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#20 » by BlewOut » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 am

Brown looks like a ballerina dancing around out there. Kid's soft, give him minutes early in the season to boost his stock and move him before the league catches on. I don't see him averaging double figures for us this year with all the scorers he'll have to share with.

Crowder consistently gets slept on as a big reason for our success last year, especially by clowns like Felger and Mazz. He's also on a cheap contract for another 3 years, so I don't see him going anywhere. Depends on whether Brown takes the next step, but I predict our best starting 5 by year's end will be

IT
Hayward
Crowder
Tatum
Horford

Return to Boston Celtics