ImageImageImage

Jaylen browns next step

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

gimmeFball
Freshman
And1: 54

Re: RE: Re: Jaylen browns next step 

Post#321 » by gimmeFball » Sat Nov 4, 2017 9:14 am

KumaJG wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Jaylen Brown doesn’t understand the game. He has one move, get the ball and shoot or go to the basket. Clueless. When his assists go up you’ll know he is starting to understand the game more. Just like Leonard

I disagree with this, you underrate his cutting ability and his defensive acumen. He's nowhere near a playmaker at this juncture but to say he doesn't understand the game is foolish to me.

Might as well say that AB didn't understand the game either. Guy was the worst passing guard I've ever seen

Brown don't understand the game at all. He just relies on his athleticism. This applies to both ends of the court.
You are also overrating him on defense. For soph, his help defense is not where it should, he don't play strong on defense and still a member of parachute club.

Him being a playmaker is a longshot. Low BBIQ, lack of passing skills and lack of feel for the game going to hold him back
Doesn't

Wysłane z mojego EVA-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,028

Re: Jaylen browns next step 

Post#322 » by London2Boston » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:04 am

Free throws aside, I'm more than happy with where he is right now at this stage of his career.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#323 » by cloverleaf » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:43 am

Jaylen is coming along so quickly as a player that I think it is really hard not to be high on him. He's not Tatum and he's likely not to be as good as Tatum, but his game is very complementary to Tatum's. He's been improving on D and as a scorer, which are the two roles they most need him to fill. Like Rozier and Smart, he still has plenty of time to mature into a more complete player.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#324 » by pac213up » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:45 am

Celts17Pride wrote:The whole point is Brown needs to improve his passing. What's so hard to understand?

At some point I would agree with this. I don't view this as a priority though. Score(efficiently), rebound, and defend.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#325 » by cloverleaf » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:48 am

pac213up wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:The whole point is Brown needs to improve his passing. What's so hard to understand?

At some point I would agree with this. I don't view this as a priority though. Score(efficiently), rebound, and defend.

Yes, the rebounding too--his improvement there has been terrific.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#326 » by Writebloc » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Jaylen is so special for his mindset, this differentiates him from most players in my estimation.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#327 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:36 pm

Homerclease wrote:Best sign from Brown last night was going perfect from the free throw stripe. He can make a career getting there, needs to become an 80% shooter from the FT line over time. He's never gonna be a big time playmaker IMO but the guy can score and get to the rim quite impressively

Jaylen's FT shooting:

Seriously, though, he'll improve. Even Andre Drummond is shooting 70%!
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#328 » by DoubleHappiness » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:45 pm

Wes-J wrote:Geezus the kid just turned 21. He's progressing, much better than last year so far. That's all you can ask for.

Where are the Kris Dunn, Bender fanboys?

Now work on your throws Jaylen.

I was one that wanted Bender over Jaylen, but admitted pretty quickly I was wrong and Jaylen is one of my favorites on this team. Actually, I love just about everyone on this team, which I wasn't anticipating with all the changes.

However, don't dismiss Bender just yet. He's turning 20 in two weeks and has been playing a lot better since PHX got rid of Earl Watson. Having a coach that doesn't suck is pretty helpful to young players. He is still a 7'1" kid with really really good defensive versatility and an excellent passer. He's going to be in the league for a long time if he stays healthy.
Snoopy34
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#329 » by Snoopy34 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't get the hate on Brown.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#330 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 5, 2017 4:28 am

When will teams start employing Hack-a-Jaylen? It might be worth the gamble instead of letting Brad/Celtics execute their half-court offense with Kyrie and Horford on the floor. Doesn't even need to be late game situation.

25/43 this season so far.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#331 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sun Nov 5, 2017 4:59 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:When will teams start employing Hack-a-Jaylen? It might be worth the gamble instead of letting Brad/Celtics execute their half-court offense with Kyrie and Horford on the floor. Doesn't even need to be late game situation.

I think its all about making them at full wind. Needs to practice that more, not at a slightly raised heart rate
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#332 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 5:09 am

DoubleHappiness wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Geezus the kid just turned 21. He's progressing, much better than last year so far. That's all you can ask for.

Where are the Kris Dunn, Bender fanboys?

Now work on your throws Jaylen.

I was one that wanted Bender over Jaylen, but admitted pretty quickly I was wrong and Jaylen is one of my favorites on this team. Actually, I love just about everyone on this team, which I wasn't anticipating with all the changes.

However, don't dismiss Bender just yet. He's turning 20 in two weeks and has been playing a lot better since PHX got rid of Earl Watson. Having a coach that doesn't suck is pretty helpful to young players. He is still a 7'1" kid with really really good defensive versatility and an excellent passer. He's going to be in the league for a long time if he stays healthy.

I was right there with you. Had Bender 1, Jaylen two on who I wanted the Celtics to grab.

Felt Bender had a good chance to be some version of a Noah. And that with our weak bigs it was best to take the bet on a safe looking big than not.

I've also not given up on him yet. Still seems versatile Center that hasn't yet put his game together and he's just about a full year younger than Jaylen if he just turned 20 2 weeks from now.
87rottweiler
Starter
And1: 2,992

Post#333 » by 87rottweiler » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:00 am

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:When will teams start employing Hack-a-Jaylen? It might be worth the gamble instead of letting Brad/Celtics execute their half-court offense with Kyrie and Horford on the floor. Doesn't even need to be late game situation.

I think its all about making them at full wind. Needs to practice that more, not at a slightly raised heart rate

I was raised to never take a FT in practice without being completely gassed, sucking wind, heart pounding.. it’s the only way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#334 » by Tiny ball » Sun Nov 5, 2017 8:49 am

87rottweiler wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:

I was raised to never take a FT in practice without being completely gassed, sucking wind, heart pounding.. it’s the only way.

No!! In a game calm down catch your breath make the shot. My cousin Kevin McHale if I remember right caught his breath got a towel wiped his hands and made the free throw.
The idea is to make the free throw.
87rottweiler
Starter
And1: 2,992

Post#335 » by 87rottweiler » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:57 am

Tiny ball wrote:
87rottweiler wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:I think its all about making them at full wind. Needs to practice that more, not at a slightly raised heart rate

No!! In a game calm down catch your breath make the shot. My cousin Kevin McHale if I remember right caught his breath got a towel wiped his hands and made the free throw.
The idea is to make the free throw.

Yeah of course in game you do everything you can to relax and let muscle memory take over.

My point was the best way to practice this is after the lactic acid has built in your legs, your heart is pumping blood and your hands and face are sweaty.

Braindesign
Junior
And1: 366

Post#336 » by Braindesign » Sun Nov 5, 2017 12:22 pm

Brown will end up being a good, but probably not great FT shooter. High 70s percentage. He has the combination of work ethic plus chip on his shoulder to get there.

A lot of people seem sold that Tatum will be the better player. I'm not so sure. Brown has come a LONG way from the raw player he was entering the league. Impressive trajectory so far
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,833

Post#337 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Nov 5, 2017 12:49 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

The Topis is called "Jaylen Brown's next step".

You relating 3+ assist to a player understanding the game is what's hard to understand. I already stated that. It's a forum.. you say weird stuff and people respond.

Jaylen Brown doesn’t understand the game. He has one move, get the ball and shoot or go to the basket. Clueless. When his assists go up you’ll know he is starting to understand the game more. Just like Leonard

He doesn't understand how to let the game come to him at times and right now doesn't really know to create for others.

He definitely does not have a low basketball IQ though. He has a great knack already for great cuts to the basket for easy scores, he knows when to take advantage of a mismatch, and defensively he is already quite aware of where to be and how to avoid falling for pump fakes, dribble moves etc.

His ballhandling skills are an underrated hindrance to his game right now. His dribbling can get him into pickles at times or prevent him from getting the attention of the defence to create open space for others. His ballhandling is already better than early last year. Another year or two of hard practice and he'll be much more confident with the ball in his hands. Once he has dribbling down, he's going to be very hard to keep in front of and the help will come, and he'll be able to create for others.

He won't ever be a Harden level passer from the wing position, but I think like Leonard his scoring game can create easy looks for others.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,833

Post#338 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Nov 5, 2017 12:55 pm

Snoopy34 wrote:I don't get the hate on Brown.

Neither.

I think a few on here just don't like being wrong about him. He has done nothing but prove Celtics fans wrong since day one yet people continue to talk down his ability and his potential.

He is really exciting. I know Tatum already looks a lot smoother and the better prospect, but Brown has athletic ability Tatum simply doesn't have.

Going to be very exciting watching these two together.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#339 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:03 pm

Braindesign wrote:Brown will end up being a good, but probably not great FT shooter. High 70s percentage. He has the combination of work ethic plus chip on his shoulder to get there.

A lot of people seem sold that Tatum will be the better player. I'm not so sure. Brown has come a LONG way from the raw player he was entering the league. Impressive trajectory so far

My sense is the Cs have regarded Tatum as a better prospect than Jaylen. They thought Tatum was the best player in the draft, extremely skilled and mature and cerebral with outstanding length. Tatum is not just a 20 ppg guy, but eventually a 25+ppg guy. In other words, a top 5-10 player for a very long time.

Everything we have seen so far backs up that assessment. He has no weaknesses in his game at all and a pile of plusses, including defense. He has a basketball IQ that is extraordinary for a player his age.

From Danny quotes the only thing Tatum lacks is exceptional athleticism and explosion. If he had that, he would be in the conversation for the best player in the game by the time he was 22 or 23, approaching an MJ, LBJ or Kobe.

Jaylen is not quite at that level. What really distinguishes him, ironically, is not his athletic ability, which is exceptional, but his mental discipline and maturity, which is as rare. He has all-star potential and probably will be a max-contract player, but his skill level is not at Jayson's level and will never equal Jayson's. If it did, wow. Then we can dust off the MJ-Pippen comparisons w/o being accused of overly excessive hyperbole.

I guess I am just rambling. I love both these guys and hope they buttress the franchise through the 2020s.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#340 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:27 pm

Elrod is correct
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to Boston Celtics