ImageImageImage

Rookies & Red Claws = Theis, Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader; (Allen, Bird)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Re: Rookieville, 2017-18 = Tatum, Yabusele, Ojeleye, Theis, Nader; (Allen, Bird) 

Post#161 » by SMTBSI » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 am

ivnabru wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:Note that Chad Ford, who basically was a conveyor belt for Danny and Austin, ranks the Dancing Bear ahead of Jaylen as a prospect...in April 2017!

If that turns out to be true. Either Yabusele was a really good pick, Brown was a really bad pick. Or both.

Or, Brown was a really good pick, and Yabs was an all-time great pick? :dontknow:
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Re: Rookieville, 2017-18 = Tatum, Yabusele, Ojeleye, Theis, Nader; (Allen, Bird) 

Post#162 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

So happy with Theis. He will fit in so well with what we do. Good stuff from him.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,942

Post#163 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 am

Daniel Theis

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#164 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am

Gonna call him No Dice Theis when he misses all those bunnies and open threes. :lol:
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SilverQuick
Senior
And1: 220

Post#165 » by SilverQuick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

I expect him to take a Jonas Jerebko role this year at least. He will be in the big rotation , but his minutes will be depend a lot on whose will be 15th man

I will not surprise if Theis steals minutes from Baynes at Center aswell. Theis is much more mobile and has better outside shot than Baynes and he is a tough kid who can play at center for some minutes in NBA. Yes He is tecnhically a Rookie and has not play a minute in NBA yet but in real life He has lots of experience in Euroleage, Eurobasket etch.

Do not surprise if Theis get important minutes this year.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#166 » by Green89 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Read on Twitter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#167 » by djFan71 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Gonna call him No Dice Theis when he misses all those bunnies and open threes. :lol:

Or when he blocks that Cavaliers guy 3x time in a row he can yell "No Dice". LeZizic, LeBron, something like that... LeJae?
Spoiler:
LeIT?
OK, I'll stop.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#168 » by AKFO » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Someone between Theis and Yabs (or both) is gonna get a decent amount of spot minutes this year. Outside of Horford, those are the only other guys with 4/5 versatility, something that I'm sure Brad likes coming off his bench.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#169 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Tatum has a massive frame, very reminiscent of AD leaving Kentucky. With 2-3 years of lifting, Tatum is gunna be an absolute force at the 4 one day.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#170 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 pm

(Caption Intentionally Left Blank)
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#171 » by sam_I_am » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Image

Paul Pierce thinks Tatum reminds him of himself - after he already had been in NBA for 7-8 years. He says he used to play fast and it took him that long to learn to take his time. Tatum already has that figured out and per PP "The sky is the limit."

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-paul-pierce-jayson-tatum-he-looks-older-version-me
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#172 » by Dogen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:32 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

Paul Pierce thinks Tatum reminds him of himself - after he already had been in NBA for 7-8 years. He says he used to play fast and it took him that long to learn to take his time. Tatum already has that figured out and per PP "The sky is the limit."

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-paul-pierce-jayson-tatum-he-looks-older-version-me

Woah -- high praise indeed. Don't let it go to your head JT, there's a long road to becoming a vet player like Pierce, but it's nice to see the potential is recognized by a Celtic legend.
Hey you! Can we come together?
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#173 » by claycarver » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:30 am

Geez, I see a pic like that and I remember these are just pups on the court now.

Tatum was born in 1998. Paul Pierce was draft in 1998.

I'm so damn old. :lol:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#174 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Which rookies will make a big contribution?
By A. Sherrod Blakely | September 21, 2017, 2:30 PM
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-storylines-which-rookies-will-make-big-contribution-0

JAYSON TATUM

The most highly regarded of Boston’s bevy of rookies, Tatum will likely lead all Celtics rookies in minutes played. His length, versatility and scoring make him an ideal option for Brad Stevens to turn to. But like all rookies, Tatum will not be just “given minutes.” Whatever time he gets, he will have surely earned. The biggest challenge for Tatum will be finding his niche. In his one season at Duke, he showed the ability to score in a lot of ways. And with the Celtics’ summer league team in Salt Lake City and later Las Vegas, it was more of the same. But on this team, his scoring won’t necessarily be needed as much as it was in college or this past summer. But it will be needed, especially coming off a bench that will be a work in progress for most of this season.

DANIEL THEIS

Maybe the biggest wild card among Boston’s rookies. Theis has a better shot at getting on the floor than you might think. At 6-foot-9, he’s a bit undersized to play power forward and center but in this age of small ball, he has the strength and versatility to potentially help sooner rather than later. One of the concerns with players coming to the NBA from having played overseas is how they will handle themselves against a higher level of competition. Well, Theis gave us all some insight into that earlier this summer, competing with Germany in EuroBasket 2017, which includes some of the best players both internationally and in the NBA. Germany went much deeper into the tournament than most expected, with Theis’ play being instrumental to that success. He was really good against France, a team that featured a trio of French big men (Boris Diaw, Joffrey Lauvergne and Kevin Seraphin) with NBA experience. Not only did Germany win, but Theis had 25 points and six rebounds. He scored from the perimeter, ran the floor and finished at the rim – the kind of all-around play they will need coming off the bench this season with Kelly Olynyk (Miami), Jonas Jerebko (Utah) and Amir Johnson (Philadelphia) all with other teams.

GUERSCHON YABUSELE

The Dancing Bear has spent a good chunk of the summer off his feet after having bone spurs removed in both ankles back in May. He didn’t participate with the team in summer league, so it’s unclear what his role may be this season. But if you go back to the summer of 2016, when he did play with Boston’s summer league squad, it was clear then just what his potential impact could be. Scouts have often compared his game to fellow Frenchman Boris Diaw, a player with a power forward’s body but the instincts of a playmaker who creates mismatches and exploits for his own points or easy shot attempts for teammates. He played 43 games with the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association last season, averaging 20.9 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists while shooting 36.4 percent from 3-point range. When his CBA season ended, he joined the Maine Red Claws for their playoff run and averaged 12.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game.

SEMI OJELEYE

He looks – no, he is – a bigger version of Jae Crowder with a little more bounce when it comes to finishing at the rim. Still, minutes will be difficult for him to get due to the team’s depth at the wing position. Ojeleye, drafted in the second round, is going to need more than just a strong training camp in order to get minutes beyond those with the Boston’s Gatorade League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. Like most of the Celtics' young players, his defense will be the key to him getting on the floor. And what you like about the 6-foot-7 Ojeleye is the potential he has in being a jack-of-all-trades type defender. In summer league, we saw him matched up against fellow rookie forwards, only to switch off and guard point guards like Philadelphia’s Markelle Fultz who was the number one overall pick. Ojeleye held his own in those matchups, which was encouraging. He also knocked down 3’s, which, of course, is a big part of what the Celtics look to do offensively.

ABDEL NADER

He is without question one of the biggest long shots on this roster to get minutes among the rookies. But the G-League’s Rookie of the Year last season has a lot of the physical tools (long arms, strong build, scorer’s mentality) that seem an ideal fit for what Brad Stevens is looking for. However, Nader’s defense more than anything else, will likely keep him on the bench for much of the season. The 6-6 wing understands that the best shot he has to get on the floor is to become a 3-and-D guy. And with so many new faces, an opportunity to carve out a role for himself could not be any better. If Stevens decides to play 10 or more players early on in the season, Nader has a shot at being near the end of that rotation. But the most likely role for him at least early on, will be on the Celtics bench.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Which rookies will make a big contribution?

Solid writeup, thanks for posting. I think the interesting thing will be the battle for the 10th man minutes. My money is on Semi, but Theis\Yabs could make things interesting.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#176 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:

Solid writeup, thanks for posting. I think the interesting thing will be the battle for the 10th man minutes. My money is on Semi, but Theis\Yabs could make things interesting.

Yeah. I would have like to see Žižić here. But, that's the NBA Business.

I think that Stevens will run 12-man, or even 13-man, rotations for awhile.
He's gotta see who clicks, and who earns playing time.

Proposed Regular Roster, 2017-18:
Irving -- / Rozier / Larkin / Allen (2-Way)
Brown -- / Smart / Nader / Bird (2-Way)
Hayward / Tatum / Ojeleye
Horford / Morris / Yabusele
Baynes / Theis
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Yeah. I would have like to see Žižić here. But, that's the NBA Business.

I think that Stevens will run 12-man, or even 13-man, rotations for awhile.
He's gotta see who clicks, and who earns playing time.

Proposed Regular Roster, 2017-18:
Irving -- / Rozier / Larkin / Allen (2-Way)
Brown -- / Smart / Nader / Bird (2-Way)
Hayward / Tatum / Ojeleye
Horford / Morris / Yabusele
Baynes / Theis

Yeah, I agree. We'll definitely see more than 10, but I think beyond that it gets scattershot based on need/feel. I feel like there's really only 8 legit definites. I'm not positive Baynes isn't in that Ojeleye/Theis/Yab mix for the last 2 spots. He comes in with the advantage due to experience, but I could see them both beating him out and Baynes left with Zeller minutes.
SeizeCoup
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#178 » by SeizeCoup » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 am

Parliament10 wrote:Daniel Theis

I'd say he's probably as good, if not better than Zeller. Good backup big man that can come in, get hot, and go off on some random nights. See him as being a fan favorite, energy type of guy.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#179 » by Parliament10 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:02 am

All these Rookie kids did pretty good.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#180 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:41 am

Twice, Thrice, Theis as nice
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Boston Celtics