ImageImageImage

Can we fit in a 4th all-star like Warriors did?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Re: Can we fit in a 4th all-star like Warriors did? 

Post#21 » by Asian Celtic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 am

A lot of you preferred Tatum to be the next star within this org. I think Brown is the true up and coming star who impacts winning in both sides of the court. Kid already showed a faster than expected shooting improvement with leadership qualities, i'd think he'll have a growth trajectory way better than Bradley has and it's not a knock on Bradley as we all know he works hard af.

IMO we'll have our 4th star / superstar within our young guns in JB/JT/BK18/LaSacPhi.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#22 » by Edug27 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:04 am

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:They have to find a 3rd Star first - don't think Horford classifies as an All Star any longer,
so down to two, IT and Hayward.

But there's hope for a Trade for a 3rd Star and Tatum or the Brooklyn/LA pick could fulfill the role as a 4th Star.

Horford made the all star team the year prior to joining Boston.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#23 » by Edug27 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 am

To answer the initial question.. yes.. it's doable. Though I doubt it happens. But You can easily trade Crowder, Rozier, Morris etc for a player making 20 mil year. The question becomes what All Star is available? Maybe dudes on the back end like Love or Gasol.. meh
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#24 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:28 am

I think Horford can make the All-Star team again this season with Millsap, George, and Butler all moving to the West. But even if we have 3 All-Stars and add a 4th via trade, it still won't compare to the 4 that the Dubs have. Well, unless that 4th All-Star is a top 5 player.

IMO, Warriors have two top 7 players, another top 15 player, and a 4th in the top 25. (Not here to argue rankings but disagree away if you like.) That's tough to match. You gotta beat them some other way. Maybe witchcraft. Or dragons.

If Brown and/or Tatum are anything special, I think they should make the All-Star team at least once during their rookie contract ala Rondo (who was playing alongside 3 future HOFs).

I thought getting George and Hayward in same offseason would've gotten us close to the Dubs. PG is one of the few who can guard KD, Lebron, and Kawhi in a series. Both PG and GD have the ability to become top 10-15 players this season imo. **** Pritchard tho.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#25 » by KumaJG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 am

Edug27 wrote:
bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:They have to find a 3rd Star first - don't think Horford classifies as an All Star any longer,

But there's hope for a Trade for a 3rd Star and Tatum or the Brooklyn/LA pick could fulfill the role as a 4th Star.

El Clappy only made the all star team because Bosh got hurt. Right now we only have two and half stars.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#26 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 am

Tjere is a big difference between being an all star in the EC and the WC, because not all all stars are the same.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#27 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:50 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Not through free agency because it had to be a perfect situation for it to happen for GS. But I think you guys have a great chance of landing that 4th all star through the draft. You already Brown and Tatum, who knows if they can become all stars. And if you guys can get 2 more top 5 picks next year then you could possibly add 2 more guys that have the potential to be all stars.

Draft picks are a longer term strategy. I'm asking since Isiah is making only 6 mil in 2017, if we can't use 2017 to trade for a 4th all-star and go for it all. Though I do agree Brown/Tatum have star potential, but they will take time to develop.

I dont see how you guys could do that with the cap. This is where not having any bad contracts are kind of a bad thing. Say Crowder was making 12 mil a year instead of 6. Then ya him with Brown and and Smart that would make about 22 mil. Im sure you could find an all star that is making around 22 mil and make that trade. But because Crowder is only making 6 mil, even if you put together that package of 3 guys, its only about 16 mil. I just think it makes it a lot harder to match up with an all star contract. Plus if youre not going to throw in IT, youre going to have to throw in guys like Brown or Tatum and good draft picks (brooklyn or LA). Would it really be worth it?

Nope
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#28 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:A lot of you preferred Tatum to be the next star within this org. I think Brown is the true up and coming star.

Celtics would be ecstatic if either one of them turned out to be a star.
LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#29 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm

I have faith that at least one of our lottery talents will develop into all stars.. Brown and Tatum sound like extremely hard workers.. I want Bagley and one of Doncic/Porter/Ayton/Bamba/Carter and we are set at most positions with prospects except PG.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#30 » by sully00 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 am

Edug27 wrote:

He also was the 2nd alternate this year only one player needed to be replaced if I remember it correctly.

Boston could acquire Irving in the off season salary wise Smart/Crowder/Rozier/Nader would do it. I would prefer a big not a PG but if the deal is right you have to go for it. I would still rather try and get Aldridge out of SA.

I think if your Ainge you have to draft with the BRK pick and LAC/SAC pick unless you are blown away at this point. Everything else on the table but the chance to add 4 lottery picks to Conference Champ you have to play that out.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#31 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 am

4th star? We have 5 locked up: Gordon, IT, Horford, Tatum and Brown.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#32 » by brackdan70 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:46 pm

We are over the cap, and will be again next year assuming at least one top 5 pick and signing just Smart. IT salary will put us deep into the lux tax. So not through Free Agency. Cs have 6 players not counting IT making 4.5-7 million per year. combine 3-4 of those guys and you have enough salary to trade for most star type players and some of those guys have a lot of trade value (Crowder, Brown, Tatum). Add in the best stash of future picks in the league and the Cs could potentially trade for another all star no doubt. I am not sure thats a wise course of action except for a handful of players such as Anthony Davis.
Sign here
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#33 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Sure. his name is either Jaylen Brown or Jason Tatum. Maybe even Marcus Smart if he can shoot 35% or better from beyond the arc.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics