ImageImageImage

Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Re: Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie? 

Post#161 » by sam_I_am » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Bostondave wrote:Don 't mistake athleticism and basketball skill. Bird simply was not athletic. He had tremendous skill, but was slow and couldn't jump.

Watch this video and tell me he is not athletic. There are so few 6-10 physical rebounders who had the ability to block a shot at one end, get the ball, make the outlet pass and beat everyone down the court for the layup.

Here is a great video highlighting his amazing defensive prowess. (Skip to 3:30 to get past text)

Another video from same source documenting his athleticism - not elite, but not below average either.

liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#162 » by liveod » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Sam, people think athletic means "able to jump high." That's the problem
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#163 » by truth18 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm

mattstermh wrote:Sam, people think athletic means "able to jump high." That's the problem

The problem is that people are taking the Theis=Hayward guy seriously when he's basically a meme on here.

Strange stuff.
YOU LOSE
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#164 » by sam_I_am » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:55 pm

mattstermh wrote:Sam, people think athletic means "able to jump high." That's the problem

People think Karl Malone was more athletic and they both had 28 inch vertical even. With Larry, a lot of it had to do with marketing the hard working fundamentally sound white country boy against Magic the flashy city slicker and street baller. In reality, Magic got by due to amazing skill and vision for a player his size but he was only marginally more athletic than Larry. Both guys did things no other 6-9 players could do until Lebron came along.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#165 » by SichtingLives » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm

truth18 wrote:

The problem is that people are taking the Theis=Hayward guy seriously when he's basically a meme on here.

Strange stuff.

you should see his takes on boxing and mma. abysmal across the boards.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#166 » by Bostondave » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Couple things. Troll has taken a whole different meaning these days. These days "troll" seems to mean a different opinion on something. Nothing more than that. The other thing is the hero worship is duly noted. Bird was simply some people's hero and nothing true can be said about him.

I am tremendously excited about Kyrie Irving coming to the celtics because he is the first player IMO who is truly unstoppable. Who can get his shot anytime any place and any way he wants to and no one can stop him. IMO we've never had a player quite like that, ever. We'
ve had some great players, some of the best ever in skill, desire, heart. Kyrie is a first IMO who combines all of that with unstoppable skills.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#167 » by GWVan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

People think Karl Malone was more athletic and they both had 28 inch vertical even. With Larry, a lot of it had to do with marketing the hard working fundamentally sound white country boy against Magic the flashy city slicker and street baller. In reality, Magic got by due to amazing skill and vision for a player his size but he was only marginally more athletic than Larry. Both guys did things no other 6-9 players could do until Lebron came along.

Magics vertical leap was only 30
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#168 » by Bostondave » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Was Larry faster or quicker than Magic? Was he anywhere near the athlete Magic was?
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#169 » by BfB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Yup, Magic was not fast nor was he a leaper. They are almost the exact same athlete

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#170 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 pm

People with a nack for basketball tend to persevere in the league over people with an over reliance on athleticism. There are extra senses at play with every sport that determine whether the sport likes you or not. Basketball loved Larry, magic and jordan for their extra senses and spit on guys like Harold Minor on one end of the spectrum as well as guys like Erik Montross on the other end of the spectrum. I'm talking on purely a professional level of course. Some guys are made for the game
Braindesign
Junior
And1: 366

Post#171 » by Braindesign » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:31 am

Bostondave wrote:Couple things. Troll has taken a whole different meaning these days. These days "troll" seems to mean a different opinion on something. Nothing more than that. The other thing is the hero worship is duly noted. Bird was simply some people's hero and nothing true can be said about him.

I am tremendously excited about Kyrie Irving coming to the celtics because he is the first player IMO who is truly unstoppable. Who can get his shot anytime any place and any way he wants to and no one can stop him. IMO we've never had a player quite like that, ever. We'
ve had some great players, some of the best ever in skill, desire, heart. Kyrie is a first IMO who combines all of that with unstoppable skills.

When Kyrie wins 3 MVPs and 3 Titles, we'll talk about who is more unstoppable.

Bird is a top ten player in the history of the game. Kyrie isn't in the conversation of ten best players in the league for this season for most people. He's close, but not there yet. The reality is that the only currently active player that is better than Bird was is Lebron. The only other two in the conversation are Durant and Dirk. That's it. Curry, Westbrook, Harden don't have the career length and the track record of accomplishment yet to be in the discussion.
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#172 » by Bostondave » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Length of career and titles is ancillary to what makes an unstoppable player.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#173 » by Writebloc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 am

Bostondave wrote:Length of career and titles is ancillary to what makes an unstoppable player.

Hold my beer...

Read on Twitter

Yeah, kiddie corner is closed now...
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#175 » by Writebloc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

cloverleaf wrote:http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/09/buckley_kyrie_irving_lebron_james_feud_just_getting_started

Buckley's been around enough to know better regarding Kyrie's tone in his interview on Hot Take, don't really get why he's playing up this angle? There's no evidence that Kyrie is going to be the same interview with the Boston media, especially if you've seen the clip where he asks Scal if he can call him White Mamba. I think in the end he gets it right, but Buck takes a strange route to get there.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#176 » by Taget » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:45 pm

The media wants a Lebron/Kyrie feud. Every question asked of Kyrie on ESPN was about trying to start one. And they were annoyed he wasn't taking the bait. Especially since if Lebron goes to LA next year they really could market the hell out of it.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Return to Boston Celtics