ImageImageImage

NBA 2k18 out: Celtics vs Cleveland simulation

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

NBA 2k18 out: Celtics vs Cleveland simulation 

Post#1 » by OldCeltics » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 am

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/09/cavs_face_kyrie_irvings_celtic.html

2k18 looks really good. I'm thinking of buying a game system just to play it.

The game is fairly realistic using player/team stats and play styles. They do consider coach play calling. Computers can be surprisingly accurate in game simulations, though maybe not this particular video above.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: NBA 2k18 Out: Celtics vs Cleveland simulation 

Post#2 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 am

Haven't turned it on yet - going to be in 4K on the Xbox One X come November.
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,365

Re: NBA 2k18 Out: Celtics vs Cleveland simulation 

Post#3 » by Gurton Buster » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 am

The game is **** amazing tbh. Way better than 2K17.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: NBA 2k18 out: Celtics vs Cleveland simulation 

Post#4 » by Wes-J » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:13 am

Meh

Close ups look pretty solid but not impressed. NBA players are some of the most sculpted athletes in the world, very little body fat, yet they still can't make the definition tight. Aggravating lack of attention to detail.

Movement looks rather mediocre. Somebody please tell me this sample video is deceiving me.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#5 » by Wes-J » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 am

Baynes has a beard last i checked. Smh
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#6 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:40 am

2K is still struggling with player models - they've invested a lot of work into getting the faces right, and they're nearly there - but I think EA does 3D capture with players in the studio, and gets muscle definition much better. There could be a conflict between depicting muscle definition and motion animations, maybe..

Re: the movements in this clip, the weird rhythm could be an effect of it being a computer-controlled simulation - very likely that motions are designed and calibrated against their appearance in response to player input - which could be quick enough to take away the sort of on rails look to the player movement here.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#7 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 am

Looks like they've also added a kind of Jordan-esque "hang" to leaps in the air, that looks a little flukey.
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#8 » by TA42 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Lol - is it just me or does that first possession seem so last year? Good ball movement and then somehow the rock ends up in Smarts hands with time running out who then shoots a somewhat contested 3.

Dammit Brad - I thought we'd see a better offense!! :D
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,365

Post#9 » by Gurton Buster » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:2K is still struggling with player models - they've invested a lot of work into getting the faces right, and they're nearly there - but I think EA does 3D capture with players in the studio, and gets muscle definition much better. There could be a conflict between depicting muscle definition and motion animations, maybe..

Re: the movements in this clip, the weird rhythm could be an effect of it being a computer-controlled simulation - very likely that motions are designed and calibrated against their appearance in response to player input - which could be quick enough to take away the sort of on rails look to the player movement here.

Trust me lol NBA Live does not have better player models or graphics. If you actually play Live it's really choppy, stiff and all the animations look really unrealistic.

I suggest anybody that's critiquing that clip to actually play 2K18 and see how fluid and smooth everything is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,460

Post#10 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Lebron lost a lot of weight
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#11 » by SMTBSI » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 pm

How I know I'm hard up for basketball: I just watched that whole damned stupid thing, without fastforwarding.

One thing they got right: Love and TT with about a dozen ORebs against us, in a 24 minute game.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#12 » by OldCeltics » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 pm

SMTBSI wrote:How I know I'm hard up for basketball: I just watched that whole damned stupid thing, without fastforwarding.

One thing they got right: Love and TT with about a dozen ORebs against us, in a 24 minute game.

I watched the full 30 min also.

It is surprising the details they get right. For example Lebron earlier in the game distributes more with cross court passes, Smart takes bad 3pt shot, Irving over dribbles but is our best scorer, Hayward is streaky but the fall away jump shots eventually falls, Celtics with rebounding issues against Love/TT, motion offense starting on high pick, Brown with some athletic rebounds, Tatum fall away shot on the block.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#13 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am

Gurton Buster wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:2K is still struggling with player models - they've invested a lot of work into getting the faces right, and they're nearly there - but I think EA does 3D capture with players in the studio, and gets muscle definition much better. There could be a conflict between depicting muscle definition and motion animations, maybe..

Trust me lol NBA Live does not have better player models or graphics. If you actually play Live it's really choppy, stiff and all the animations look really unrealistic.

I suggest anybody that's critiquing that clip to actually play 2K18 and see how fluid and smooth everything is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I don't doubt the models and graphics, gameplay, and animation in Live are bad - just think one of the few things they do better than 2K, maybe the only one, is the body caps.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#14 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 am

afaic theres still nothing like og nba jam. and give me some double dribble even tho that was pretty busted
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#15 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 pm

SichtingLives wrote:afaic theres still nothing like og nba jam. and give me some double dribble even tho that was pretty busted

Double Dribble is still fun, although I exploit the hell out of that corner 3 pt shot. Can't even call it a corner 3 since you gotta shoot it while fading away out of bounds. Lol

2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#16 » by 2Mas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:How I know I'm hard up for basketball: I just watched that whole damned stupid thing, without fastforwarding.

I watched the full 30 min also.

It is surprising the details they get right. For example Lebron earlier in the game distributes more with cross court passes, Smart takes bad 3pt shot, Irving over dribbles but is our best scorer, Hayward is streaky but the fall away jump shots eventually falls, Celtics with rebounding issues against Love/TT, motion offense starting on high pick, Brown with some athletic rebounds, Tatum fall away shot on the block.

:lol: :lol: You guys are savages.

Im gonna cop 2k, but I want the Celtics version of it. Anyone know when that's dropping?
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#17 » by truth18 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

SichtingLives wrote:afaic theres still nothing like og nba jam. and give me some double dribble even tho that was pretty busted

They made a new one some years back for the 360 that was basically the same. Wish the modern consoles had an equivalent.

I'm going to buy 2K18, will be my first 2K since 2K15. I love these games but I'm horrible at them. I'm bad at Madden too but usually I can string together an occasional win. With 2K I constantly get bodied online. Anyone have any tips?

FIFA is the only sports game I'm good at. **** wreck people in that.
YOU LOSE
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#18 » by OFWGKTA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm

NBA Street Volume 3 for PS2 is the only NBA game I play, I'm probably top 1 in the world at least.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#19 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm

The rebounds are a bit out of whack to me. But I have really enjoyed the game so far. I crushed Cleveland in Cleveland but then lost on a back to back against Milwaukee in Boston to start my league. Very interesting.
the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#20 » by the sea duck » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 pm

It looks pretty amazing considering this was my first basketball video game:

Return to Boston Celtics