ImageImageImage

Pierce on Tatum: "The sky is the limit for that kid."

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Re: Pierce on Tatum: "The sky is the limit for that kid." 

Post#41 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Jakeopp wrote:
Higher Power wrote:jayson could be a paul george kind of player with better potential and if potential could be achieved, barring injuries he's gonna be a kobe if not better type of player (both of them are huge kobe fans btw). so i hope he will work as hard as kobe.

i know this is a celtics thread sorry mentioning kobe btw lol. but been a huge of taytum since his duke days. this kid is promising

:o Those are some ridiculously high standards lol.
Kobe gets a lot of hate from Celtics fans, but he's an all-time great. The chances of Tatum getting to that level or surpassing it are extremely slim.

If he stays healthy he will be able to dominate a game far greater than kope.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#42 » by cloverleaf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Jakeopp wrote:
Higher Power wrote:jayson could be a paul george kind of player with better potential and if potential could be achieved, barring injuries he's gonna be a kobe if not better type of player (both of them are huge kobe fans btw). so i hope he will work as hard as kobe.

i know this is a celtics thread sorry mentioning kobe btw lol. but been a huge of taytum since his duke days. this kid is promising

Kobe gets a lot of hate from Celtics fans, but he's an all-time great. The chances of Tatum getting to that level or surpassing it are extremely slim.

I don't know, I think the Brown to George comparison may be as great a stretch. Tatum is loaded with skills already as a teenager, while Jaylen still has a ways to go on that count.

But yeah, Kobe was shooting .375 from the 3 as an 18yo in the NBA--yikes! (Though his career numbers, counting efficiency, really aren't that great--I wouldn't put them out of Jayson's reach....)
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,667

Post#43 » by Green89 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:With his tendinitis being possibly a recurring issue, they're going to to have to see how he holds up to the minutes. My guess is that they'll have a plan for him strengthening those knees to guard against it from aggravating itself.

Does Tatum really have an issue with that or was it just a reason to hold him out of back to back summer games? Did he have issues in college?
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#44 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Green89 wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:With his tendinitis being possibly a recurring issue, they're going to to have to see how he holds up to the minutes. My guess is that they'll have a plan for him strengthening those knees to guard against it from aggravating itself.

Does Tatum really have an issue with that or was it just a reason to hold him out of back to back summer games? Did he have issues in college?

No idea. I'm just regurgitating what I read
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#45 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 pm

SMTBSI wrote:
SeizeCoup wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:I overvalue youth as much as anyone, but, I'll tell you what Tatum ain't gonna do: average 16.5 ppg on 54 TS%, 41.2 3P%, and 23.1 USG his rookie year.

If he does (or has similar per36 in fewer minutes), then we're in business.

The rebuttal to that is Pierce entered the NBA after his junuior year at Kansas, and as a result was older and had more time to work on his game prior to going pro. He also joined a worse team than the one Tatum is joining. I'm not saying the rook will ever be on the level of the Truth, just that it's highly unlikely he has a comparable statistical rooking campaign and it has nothing to do with his talent/potential long-term stats.

Sure. I'm not putting a limit on either of Brown or Tatum's futures.

Was responding specifically to the thrust of Pierce's comments, that Tatum looks more advanced than he did when he came into the league. I will believe that when I see it (would be thrilled to be wrong).

1-on-1 scoring ability is always going to impress pros, especially a guy who grew up watching MJ and spent his early prime in the post-MJ iso years.
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#46 » by liveod » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Put Tatum on the '98 C's. He'd do work
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
Green89
RealGM

Post#47 » by Green89 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:
Green89 wrote:

OK, don't scare us like that. :wavefinger:
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#48 » by chrisab123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 am

Taget wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:This Truth Jr comparison is very enjoyable. Maybe Hayward is Bird. Just need Russell reincarnated.

Hayward is Bird. Definitely. Theis is also Hayward. Aron is Theis. Bogut is Aron. And Bogut is Bird.

The circle is complete

So both Hayward AND Bogut are Jabari Bird?

Nah definetly not.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#49 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
SMTBSI wrote:
SeizeCoup wrote:
The rebuttal to that is Pierce entered the NBA after his junuior year at Kansas, and as a result was older and had more time to work on his game prior to going pro. He also joined a worse team than the one Tatum is joining. I'm not saying the rook will ever be on the level of the Truth, just that it's highly unlikely he has a comparable statistical rooking campaign and it has nothing to do with his talent/potential long-term stats.

Sure. I'm not putting a limit on either of Brown or Tatum's futures.

Was responding specifically to the thrust of Pierce's comments, that Tatum looks more advanced than he did when he came into the league. I will believe that when I see it (would be thrilled to be wrong).

1-on-1 scoring ability is always going to impress pros, especially a guy who grew up watching MJ and spent his early prime in the post-MJ iso years.

Which circles back to the discussion of whether or not the NBA's adulation of Kyrie Irving is warranted or not.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Re: Pierce on Tatum: 

Post#50 » by 31to6 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 am

BfB wrote:
return2glory wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
This. We also overvalue Jaylen Brown a bit too. I'll be pretty surprised if he turns into a consistent all-star player

Brown and Tatum are not in the same class. One is already a polished player and really understands the game and is very talented, the other is figuring out how to play the game.

That's a bit harsh. Brown isn't a playmaker, but he had some really good film indicating strong scoring instincts/ability - great first step, gets into the lane, strong body control, can finish with contact and get to the line.

They are different players, but plenty to like about Brown's potential based off what we've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yup. I see more of a ceiling for Tatum than Jaylen to be honest, but whatever, hope they both turn into first ballot HOFers (a guy can dream, right?)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Higher Power
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#51 » by Higher Power » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

Jakeopp wrote:

well, i was kind of overwhelmed when i said that. :lol: but he may have a chance to be a better player.
Higher Power
Ballboy

Post#52 » by Higher Power » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Jakeopp wrote: :o Those are some ridiculously high standards lol.

I don't know, I think the Brown to George comparison may be as great a stretch. Tatum is loaded with skills already as a teenager, while Jaylen still has a ways to go on that count.

But yeah, Kobe was shooting .375 from the 3 as an 18yo in the NBA--yikes! (Though his career numbers, counting efficiency, really aren't that great--I wouldn't put them out of Jayson's reach....)

i get that you hate kobe, i do too but i give the man his credit. jaysons favorite player growing up is kobe (so the work ethic will be there for the kid). the late great red and oscar robertson even said kobe is already skilled at the age of 17. "17"

i'm not really a numbers type of fan and i don't mind what kobes stats when he was 18 or 28 or 34, i'm more of results guy (rare now a days.)
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,983

Post#53 » by Jakeopp » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Higher Power wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:If he stays healthy he will be able to dominate a game far greater than kope.

i get that you hate kobe, i do too but i give the man his credit. jaysons favorite player growing up is kobe (so the work ethic will be there for the kid). the late great red and oscar robertson even said kobe is already skilled at the age of 17. "17"

i'm not really a numbers type of fan and i don't mind what kobes stats when he was 18 or 28 or 34, i'm more of results guy (rare now a days.)

Doesn't really mean he's going to have an incredible work ethic. I would venture to say lots of players in the current NBA idolized former superstars like Jordan/Kobe, how many go as far as copying their work ethic though?
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#54 » by OFWGKTA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Jakeopp wrote:
Higher Power wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Doesn't really mean he's going to have an incredible work ethic. I would venture to say lots of players in the current NBA idolized former superstars like Jordan/Kobe, how many go as far as copying their work ethic though?

His skillset at this age shows he has an incredible work ethic.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Higher Power
Ballboy

Post#55 » by Higher Power » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
Jakeopp wrote:
Higher Power wrote:

His skillset at this age shows he has an incredible work ethic.

exactly. thank you
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,658

Post#56 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Green89 wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:
Green89 wrote:

OK, don't scare us like that. :wavefinger:

Missed the first month with his foot injury, after that didnt miss a game. There was no tendinitis issues or anything like that. Im pretty sure the tendinitis was just an excuse because they didnt want to watch their top 3 pick play 10+ meaningless games in such a short period. Most teams find some kind of "injury" to keep their top picks from playing every game in SL.
Green89
RealGM

Post#57 » by Green89 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm

TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#58 » by TommyPoints » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 am

I still remember when Paul Pierce was saying how good Gerald Green was going to be and that he would be coming off of the bench for him one day. Grain of salt.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#59 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#60 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:43 am

CelticGamecock wrote:I still remember when Paul Pierce was saying how good Gerald Green was going to be and that he would be coming off of the bench for him one day. Grain of salt.

also Kedrick Brown was really tearing it up at practice.

But yeah, high picks are good stuff. (Kyrie, keep it short and sweet -- getting better!)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics