ImageImageImage

The Flat Earth Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: Rozier: world may be flat. 

Post#41 » by captain green » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:Whether you or I believe the world is flat is inconsequential.

The only discourse that truly matters is the opinions of our llama overlords.

Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#42 » by Cyclical » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am

truth18 wrote:
Cyclical wrote:
truth18 wrote:

You have to read between the lines, breh.

Is that the place sarcasm ceases to exist?

You don't know what Skynet is?

If you're talking Terminator the answer is yes but I fail to see the connection to my original comment. Maybe you could explain?
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#43 » by Taget » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 am

Hats off to Danny. Kyrie is the most influential player in the NBA. Soon he will have the entire team believing!

[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#44 » by Disinformation » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 am

Curved? Flat? You're all wrong. The surface of the Earth is a saddle tower.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#45 » by SichtingLives » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 am

Wait the world is fat? Well thank god I thought that was just America.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#46 » by GWVan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:Think for yourself. Question authority.

And trust in the scientific process and evidence based conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Don't trust the evidence, verify. The scientific process can easily be tainted by bias. Just who is funding the research that determined the world is some sort of 'shape' and not flat?
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#47 » by CelticsLV » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm

GWVan wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:Think for yourself. Question authority.

Don't trust the evidence, verify. The scientific process can easily be tainted by bias. Just who is funding the research that determined the world is some sort of 'shape' and not flat?

There's not a single funded research that determined this. It's something that people figured out over time. Starting with simple observable things like ships/sun sinking behind the horizon, studying movements of celestial bodies etc. It's not hard to put it all together and relise earth is a sphere.
Today we have several space agencies (USA, Russia, China, Europe, India etc.) doing space missions but we still need a research determining shape of the earth? :lol:

Flat earthers are nutcases.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#48 » by truth18 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Cyclical wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Cyclical wrote:
Is that the place sarcasm ceases to exist?

You don't know what Skynet is?

If you're talking Terminator the answer is yes but I fail to see the connection to my original comment. Maybe you could explain?

Just some bad nonsensical humor intended to knock conspiracy theorists.
YOU LOSE
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#49 » by GWVan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:56 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
GWVan wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

There's not a single funded research that determined this. It's something that people figured out over time. Starting with simple observable things like ships/sun sinking behind the horizon, studying movements of celestial bodies etc. It's not hard to put it all together and relise earth is a sphere.
Today we have several space agencies (USA, Russia, China, Europe, India etc.) doing space missions but we still need a research determining shape of the earth? :lol:

So you believe it because the government told you? I suspect there are published studies on the earth's shape from the days when everything wasn't politicized.

Skeptics are fine as long as they don't continue their skepticism beyond reasonable proof otherwise.

I'll take the flat earth people over the big foot people - try proving they are wrong.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
CelticsLV
Head Coach

Post#50 » by CelticsLV » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:37 pm

GWVan wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
GWVan wrote:

So you believe it because the government told you? I suspect there are published studies on the earth's shape from the days when everything wasn't politicized.

Skeptics are fine as long as they don't continue their skepticism beyond reasonable proof otherwise.

I'll take the flat earth people over the big foot people - try proving they are wrong.

Government told me the sun and ships disappear behind horizon? Goverment told me that when it's night here in my country and i check in to watch Celtics games online it's day time in USA? Don't tell me you legit think the earth might be flat? :banghead:

Try proving them wrong? Their stupid theory falls apart with simple observations but i need to prove them wrong? I've seen some stupid flat earth videos and all they can bring up is the magic word "perspective". The worst part is that they don't even understand how perspective works. They just try to tell you 2+2=5 and then build ridiculous theory around it. They redefine perspective with no solid basis, present it to idiots and they fall for it.

I don't even know why i am debating this ridiculous crap here. :noway:
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#51 » by ZeroTolerance » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
GWVan wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

Government told me the sun and ships disappear behind horizon? Goverment told me that when it's night here in my country and i check in to watch Celtics games online it's day time in USA? Don't tell me you legit think the earth might be flat? :banghead:

Try proving them wrong? Their stupid theory falls apart with simple observations but i need to prove them wrong? I've seen some stupid flat earth videos and all they can bring up is the magic word "perspective". The worst part is that they don't even understand how perspective works. They just try to tell you 2+2=5 and then build ridiculous theory around it. They redefine perspective with no solid basis, present it to idiots and they fall for it.

I don't even know why i am debating this ridiculous crap here. :noway:

CelticsLV........You have seen far too many Big Bang Theory reruns... There's.no doubt about it! :o
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#52 » by ZeroTolerance » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:51 pm

captain green wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:Whether you or I believe the world is flat is inconsequential.

I'm sure that somewhere in the all of those Monty Python episodes, they have dealt with the theory of the world being flat?

I have to ask all of you who have spent some time reading this thread "What is the meaning of life"?

And Now....for something completely different...... :)
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#53 » by DoubleHappiness » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm

very much woke
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Post#54 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

The flat earthers should all be loaded on aircraft and be required to set the autopilot to fly in a straight line from New York to Tokyo. All of the planes would crash somewhere in Ontario and that would be the end of this controversy
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#55 » by Dogen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The flat earthers should all be loaded on aircraft and be required to set the autopilot to fly in a straight line from New York to Tokyo. All of the planes would crash somewhere in Ontario and that would be the end of this controversy

Oblate spheroid earthers can simply jump in place, making it all the way to Tokyo at 1000mph. Beat that, flatties!
Hey you! Can we come together?
CelticsLV
Head Coach

Post#56 » by CelticsLV » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Dogen wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The flat earthers should all be loaded on aircraft and be required to set the autopilot to fly in a straight line from New York to Tokyo. All of the planes would crash somewhere in Ontario and that would be the end of this controversy

Oblate spheroid earthers can simply jump in place, making it all the way to Tokyo at 1000mph. Beat that, flatties!

I hope you're joking. I guess when passengers jump on an airliner cruising with 500mph they smash into the back too. And the same would happen on a train i guess. Suprisingly it doesn't happen - you can jump and land at the same spot, you can throw the ball around, bugs don't need to fly 500mph inside it :lol: It seems as if you're not moving, right? I wonder why? :roll: I actually know why and how it applies to the spin of the earth or it's movement in general but i don't know if you do. Want to hear your input here.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#57 » by FutureIsGreen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Pick up a flat quarter, give it a spin, let me know what shape you see.

Love helping those crazy flat earthers...
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#58 » by captain green » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:27 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
captain green wrote:

I'm sure that somewhere in the all of those Monty Python episodes, they have dealt with the theory of the world being flat?

I have to ask all of you who have spent some time reading this thread "What is the meaning of life"?

And Now....for something completely different...... :)

The answer is 42 but you need another super computer the size of earth for the exact question.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#59 » by Dogen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 am

CelticsLV wrote:
Dogen wrote:

I hope you're joking. I guess when passengers jump on an airliner cruising with 500mph they smash into the back too. And the same would happen on a train i guess. Suprisingly it doesn't happen - you can jump and land at the same spot, you can throw the ball around, bugs don't need to fly 500mph inside it :lol: It seems as if you're not moving, right? I wonder why? :roll: I actually know why and how it applies to the spin of the earth or it's movement in general but i don't know if you do. Want to hear your input here.

Neil deGrasse Tyson has been most recently -- and perhaps commonly -- attributed with the "oblate spheroid" take on the ol' globe. That's science for you, always changing in the light of new data. If accurate, those classic NASA blue marble composites will need to be updated to reflect the new bulging dimension near the equator due to the spin, I would gather.

Even Thomas Kuhn, author of "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" eventually changed his own usage of "paradigm shift" to a more modest "exemplar" in order to downplay the tendency to have each new theory as something that was to be believed rather than an exemplary injunction to be examined and studied. The method is more a process than an act of faith, perhaps our decendants will one day say, "Those ignoramuses from the 21st century--- globe? oblate? It's so obviously a dodecahedron!"

Anyway, to your point -- inertia still rules. You can't hop straight up and down up and get to Tokyo from New York. I've tried it. Twice.
Hey you! Can we come together?
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#60 » by ermocrate » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 am

captain green wrote:How did people go in reverse on intelligence? A few athletes think the world is flat and dinosaurs didn't exist. I must have missed the cool aid bus.
So what gives??

Rozier is the one who likes to make spaghetti sandwiches so thinking the earth is flat is an upgrade for my point of view.
"Negativity in this town sucks"

Return to Boston Celtics