ImageImageImage

Lets talk Okafor again....

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Re: Lets talk Okafor again.... 

Post#161 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Big Baby wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Don't forget the Go-for-Brokafors (what have we got to lose), the Wokafors (Jahlil won't try on D until we do something about social injustice), and the Blokafors (British Prokafors).

I'm a Lokhifor (pronounced Loke-High-For). I like to buy low and sell high. Think he's just that.

Man, I thought you were making a Loki reference:

I thought he was going for LOLkafor.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#162 » by akhan786 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm just scared Pop is going to snag him from under everyone and turn him into a star.

If you've been following the situation closely in Philly, you'd understand how Okafor could blossom elsewhere.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#163 » by Dogen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:24 pm

akhan786 wrote:I'm just scared Pop is going to snag him from under everyone and turn him into a star.

If you've been following the situation closely in Philly, you'd understand how Okafor could blossom elsewhere.

Interesting... the Popkafor option.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Post#164 » by Big Baby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm

akhan786 wrote:I'm just scared Pop is going to snag him from under everyone and turn him into a star.

I believe. He was in a terrible situation for the first two years. Philly had a log jam and they were openly tanking. And he's just a kid. A change of scenery plus Brad Stevens could turn him into a beast. Not sure why so many here are horrified at the thought of adding him to our roster. Okafor is the ultimate low risk/high reward type IMO.
akhan786
Starter

Post#165 » by akhan786 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Big Baby wrote:

I believe. He was in a terrible situation for the first two years. Philly had a log jam and they were openly tanking. And he's just a kid. A change of scenery plus Brad Stevens could turn him into a beast. Not sure why so many here are horrified at the thought of adding him to our roster. Okafor is the ultimate low risk/high reward type IMO.

I just don't get the idea that people can't believe a kid in a new environment could *gasp* improve?

All I heard this past year was how Okafor was actually being pretty damn professional even though he was being tormented by the Philly fans and media on top of not being placed in a position to succeed.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#166 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Big Baby wrote:

I'm not as harsh on it as I've seemed, just having fun with the puns. And sure, with a lot of work he could turn himself into a serviceable player. It's just that a) it's not low risk - you gotta give up something to get him - even if it's just the possibility of trading for a similarly salaried player later, b) it's not high reward either - his best case scenario is he provides a skill the NBA is going away from, albeit at an elite level, and (after a lot of work) is passable in other aspects of the game, and c) he hasn't really shown the proclivity for that "lot of work" bit. If he was available to sign at the minimum, then maybe, sure. But he's not, you have to trade things to get him and fit his salary in. I guess the nice bit of that is if you trade less salary for him now, you have more salary to flip at the deadline for better players.

ETA: And I stand by the "you can't put him on the floor currently" part of what I said. You're talking a lot of work for meh reward if he really pans out.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,596

Post#167 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 pm

akhan786 wrote:
Big Baby wrote:

I just don't get the idea that people can't believe a kid in a new environment could *gasp* improve?

All I heard this past year was how Okafor was actually being pretty damn professional even though he was being tormented by the Philly fans and media on top of not being placed in a position to succeed.

I agree with all of this. I think at worst someone can easily turn him into Enes Kanter, thats not a bad guy to come off your bench and I think he can be an even better offensive player than Kanter. I think he was in a horrible situation and a change of scenery would do wonders for him.

With all that said, I still think hes a bad fit for what Boston needs. Main thing you guys need from a center is rebounding and rim protection. Okafor doesnt bring any of that. If Ainge and Stevens do make a move for him, I think it would be a long term play and not much help for this year.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#168 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Sort of related to Okafor, but not really - you guys need to check the Celtics thread over on the Sixers forum. Holy cow. The years of tanking have taken its toll on that fanbase's collective basketball IQ.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#169 » by SLCceltic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 am

[gfycat][/gfycat]
Edug27 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
That's because we don't know. You'll hear names like Draymond Green, but that's a super duper stretch.

Right, I mean, it would help to see him play pro minutes.. but the swing shouldn’t be that wide. Dray Green, Barkley, or Brandon Hunter..

Anyone who told you Barkley, never talk to them again.

Yea, Barkley is a ridiculous comp !
A shorter and less edgy Rick Mahorn with a 3pt shot, is what Yabusele looks like right now..
ROYALGREEN
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#170 » by GregB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 am

To me it depends on how much upside we think Yabusele has. I am torn. In Danny I trust.
akhan786
Starter

Post#171 » by akhan786 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 am

I also think we may be underestimating how good Marcus Morris will be in Boston. We are becoming an organization that everyone in the past decade has tried to develop.

The Next Spurs.

Players blossom here if they have a skillset that is perfect for Brad's system. People overlook the fact that Morris is exactly that kind of player.
Big Baby
Bench Warmer

Lets talk Okafor again.... 

Post#172 » by Big Baby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 am

djFan71 wrote:

I'm not as harsh on it as I've seemed, just having fun with the puns. And sure, with a lot of work he could turn himself into a serviceable player. It's just that a) it's not low risk - you gotta give up something to get him - even if it's just the possibility of trading for a similarly salaried player later, b) it's not high reward either - his best case scenario is he provides a skill the NBA is going away from, albeit at an elite level, and (after a lot of work) is passable in other aspects of the game, and c) he hasn't really shown the proclivity for that "lot of work" bit. If he was available to sign at the minimum, then maybe, sure. But he's not, you have to trade things to get him and fit his salary in. I guess the nice bit of that is if you trade less salary for him now, you have more salary to flip at the deadline for better players.

ETA: And I stand by the "you can't put him on the floor currently" part of what I said. You're talking a lot of work for meh reward if he really pans out.

I understand all the merits of your argument. But I disagree. So you say the league is going away from guys like Okafor. Well then, I think we should definitely get Okafor because we'll be the only team who can pound the ball inside while everybody else will live and die by their jumper, no? Easy 2.

I can go on and on and on but I'll just say what I've been saying all along: I don't see anyone on the Cavs roster that can stop him. I don't see anyone on the Dubs roster that can stop him. But I do see Brad Stevens on our bench. I see Al Horford who can mentor this young talent. We're a really great environment for any player. And I really think Okafor will turn into a monster here especially with Kyrie feeding him the ball.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#173 » by GregB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:00 am

akhan786 wrote:I also think we may be underestimating how good Marcus Morris will be in Boston. We are becoming an organization that everyone in the past decade has tried to develop.

The Next Spurs.

Players blossom here if they have a skillset that is perfect for Brad's system. People overlook the fact that Morris is exactly that kind of player.

Morris should have a good year. He will be used similar to Crowder. Catch and shoot 3's or Drive hard on close outs. Not sure he solves our rebounding problem as our starting 4 though.

I'm personally pretty excited for Aron Baynes. He has played behind Tim Duncan and Andre Drummond his entire career. He is a fundamentally sound big who rebounds, can shoot the ball from midrange. I would suspect Brad will have him shooting 3's before we know it. I think he's going to have a solid year.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#174 » by Tiny ball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Sort of related to Okafor, but not really - you guys need to check the Celtics thread over on the Sixers forum. Holy cow. The years of tanking have taken its toll on that fanbase's collective basketball IQ.

Someone banned me from there. I don't think I did any thing too bad. I don't even remember being on there when I was banned.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#175 » by Tiny ball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:46 am

Big Baby wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

I understand all the merits of your argument. But I disagree. So you say the league is going away from guys like Okafor. Well then, I think we should definitely get Okafor because we'll be the only team who can pound the ball inside while everybody else will live and die by their jumper, no? Easy 2.

I can go on and on and on but I'll just say what I've been saying all along: I don't see anyone on the Cavs roster that can stop him. I don't see anyone on the Dubs roster that can stop him. But I do see Brad Stevens on our bench. I see Al Horford who can mentor this young talent. We're a really great environment for any player. And I really think Okafor will turn into a monster here especially with Kyrie feeding him the ball.

How many times do you think someone will point a gun at his head here before he gets shot? How many bar fights? How many times driving through town at over 100 miles an hour? Don't think we need this monster.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#176 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:19 am

akhan786 wrote:
Big Baby wrote:

He definitely can improve, I'm not arguing elsewise.

Prokafor's are arguing that Philly was bad and thus was in a poor situation for him to develop. What Nokafor's are arguing is that Okafor was very likely the reason Philly was so bad.

If we could acquire him for a pick, in all for it. But we can't absorb him outright. And I'd honestly prefer to keep any of our small salaries over Okafor, save maybe Nader.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#177 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am

Names like Bogut, Hibbert, Hawes, Robinson etc get thrown around. I am fairly ambivalent towards Okafor, but give me a flawed younger player with a few years experience over washed out retreads every time. I would be interested to see how he goes in a different situation than the **** show the Sixers have been his whole career.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#178 » by Banks2Pierce » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Big Baby wrote:He was in a terrible situation for the first two years. Philly had a log jam and they were openly tanking.

Don't see how this argument holds any water when Embiid came in without any NBA experience and looked all-world instantly.

He can and should improve, but he could go up a level and still only be like the 375th best player in the league. Not worth the contract dollars and that's why he has no market.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#179 » by jfs1000d » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm

I like okafor and really liked him out of college. As far as embiid be okafor, no one who saw either thought okafor was going to be better. Embiid has always had incredible size and physical ability and would have been no. 1 pick if he wasn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Baby
Bench Warmer

Post#180 » by Big Baby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Tiny ball wrote:How many times do you think someone will point a gun at his head here before he gets shot? How many bar fights? How many times driving through town at over 100 miles an hour? Don't think we need this monster.

Really? Oh, you're right. I remember the bar/street fight in Boston his rookie year. The other stuff I had no idea. Hmm...

Return to Boston Celtics