ImageImageImage

The Flat Earth Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Re: Dear Boston Media & Bloggers: STFU re Flat Eath, OK? Just S.T.F.U already 

Post#101 » by the sea duck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 pm

He doesn't believe the earth is flat now. But he wasn't joking at the time he said it either.
GoodVibezin
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#102 » by GoodVibezin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Sniff. So so sorry. Sniff. Feel so bad. Sniff. I want my mommy!
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#103 » by Dogen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:World B. Flat is definitely my preference for his nickname.

:lol:
Hey you! Can we come together?
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#104 » by neno » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 pm

He said he owns it good and bad
BUT a basketball is round and the court is flat So
Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Post#105 » by Big Baby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 pm

neno wrote:He said he owns it good and bad
BUT a basketball is round and the court is flat So

OT: You have my quote in your sig? LOL
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#106 » by Taget » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:57 pm

I will say this. I'll take the media asking whether the world is flat any day over them asking our players what Danny Ainge smells like!

[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Big Baby
Bench Warmer

Post#107 » by Big Baby » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Taget wrote:I will say this. I'll take the media asking whether the world is flat any day over them asking our players what Danny Ainge smells like!

:o

I'm so embarrassed for that reporter and his family. WTF...
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Re: Rozier: world may be flat. 

Post#108 » by NormanDale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

AKFO wrote:I'm guessing TRo is joking like Kyrie is, as it seems they're becoming somewhat close.

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Guys, he tweeted this a year ago and was just joking.

People believe things way too easily. Kyrie's trolling was so on point.

Jaqua92 wrote:I love it. Everyone is getting trolled.

Rozier "The world MAY be flat"

Kyrie "Why does it matter"

Kyrie has said he knows how absurd a claim it is and that science proves the earth is round.

The fact that Kyrie has (somewhat) successfully turned this into the narrative is annoying. I listened to the podcast where he initially said it. He was serious.

When asked about it, he repeatedly responded with deflection, like any other guy with a firmly-held belief that he doesn't want to discuss, because he knows he's unable to defend it and would be skewered for trying.

He has recently changed his tune (a bit), probably after someone he trusts explained to him clearly why he was wrong. So instead of saying "I was wrong," he says "I was just joking/trolling," because god forbid anyone in today's US ever admits to being wrong and learning something.

The whole thing has played out exactly like Trump's repeated outrageous claims do ("Obama tapped my phones!" "Comey better hope I didn't record our conversation!" "I had the largest inauguration crowd ever," etc. etc.) First the idiotic statement. Then the attempts at defending it. Then the evasion. Then blaming the media for the controversy. Then the claiming that it was all a joke the whole time!

I hope when the season starts I can forget all this foolishness and just enjoy watching him play basketball.

(BTW, Rozier may well have been joking with that tweet. I have no idea, but I would much rather just choose to believe that.)
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#109 » by Tiny ball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 am

NormanDale wrote:
AKFO wrote:I'm guessing TRo is joking like Kyrie is, as it seems they're becoming somewhat close.

Kyrie has said he knows how absurd a claim it is and that science proves the earth is round.

The fact that Kyrie has (somewhat) successfully turned this into the narrative is annoying. I listened to the podcast where he initially said it. He was serious.

When asked about it, he repeatedly responded with deflection, like any other guy with a firmly-held belief that he doesn't want to discuss, because he knows he's unable to defend it and would be skewered for trying.

He has recently changed his tune (a bit), probably after someone he trusts explained to him clearly why he was wrong. So instead of saying "I was wrong," he says "I was just joking/trolling," because god forbid anyone in today's US ever admits to being wrong and learning something.

The whole thing has played out exactly like Trump's repeated outrageous claims do ("Obama tapped my phones!" "Comey better hope I didn't record our conversation!" "I had the largest inauguration crowd ever," etc. etc.) First the idiotic statement. Then the attempts at defending it. Then the evasion. Then blaming the media for the controversy. Then the claiming that it was all a joke the whole time!

I hope when the season starts I can forget all this foolishness and just enjoy watching him play basketball.

(BTW, Rozier may well have been joking with that tweet. I have no idea, but I would much rather just choose to believe that.)

I do believe the f b i has admitted getting warrant and listening in.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#110 » by NormanDale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 am

Tiny ball wrote:
NormanDale wrote:

I do believe the f b i has admitted getting warrant and listening in.

This thread is going to get locked if this gets to a political discussion, but your belief is incorrect:

1) The FBI has not "admitted" to tapping candidate Trump, and certainly not for political reasons. They tapped Paul Manafort, which, of course they did. He has made a career advising and lobbying on behalf of brutal dictators and warlords such as Victor Yanukovic, Ferdinand Marcos, Mobutu Seko, and Jonas Savimbi. Trump had to know that when he hired him.

That's like is you hired El Chapo's lawyer and then assumed the government was following him because it was after you.

2) The FBI does not take orders from the President on whom to investigate. (If it did, Trump's team wouldn't be under investigation now) Since its inception, the FBI has clashed with every Democratic President, and most Republican Presidents (the article linked to, by the way, dates from before the Trump campaign existed).

The White House and the FBI have followed a protocol for the last 50 years not to discuss any ongoing investigations--well, until this administration.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#111 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am

NormanDale wrote:

You are aware how satire works, yes?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#112 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Gurol says his students got the idea of a flat planet from basketball star Kyrie Irving, who said as much on a podcast.

... He says he tried reasoning with the students and showed them a video. Nothing worked.

"They think that I'm part of this larger conspiracy of being a round-Earther. That's definitely hard for me because it feels like science isn't real to them."

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/07/28/537907951/the-ongoing-battle-between-science-teachers-and-fake-news?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170728
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Big Baby
Bench Warmer

Post#113 » by Big Baby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Gurol says his students got the idea of a flat planet from basketball star Kyrie Irving, who said as much on a podcast.

... He says he tried reasoning with the students and showed them a video. Nothing worked.

"They think that I'm part of this larger conspiracy of being a round-Earther. That's definitely hard for me because it feels like science isn't real to them."

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/07/28/537907951/the-ongoing-battle-between-science-teachers-and-fake-news?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170728

NPR = fake news.
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#114 » by Cyclical » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm

15th overall wrote:IMO you are taking these flat earth one liners WAYY too personal if you think comparing it to religious persecution is alright. Really gross comp.

Yes

15th overall wrote:I don't believe that Kyrie believes the earth is actually flat. I also don't think Kyrie is so sensitive that anyone should be outraged over a few blowhards mocking him about it. Complete nonissue that will have ZERO impact on his career in Boston.

And Yes.
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#115 » by Cyclical » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Big Baby wrote:

NPR = fake news.

If NPR, the mildest of news delivery networks, is fake news then please do tell what you consider real news.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#116 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Big Baby wrote:

NPR = fake news.

If that isn't the stupidest thing ever posted in this forum, it at least ranks on the stupidity leaderboard.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Big Baby
Bench Warmer

Post#117 » by Big Baby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:16 pm

If that isn't the stupidest thing ever posted in this forum, it at least ranks on the stupidity leaderboard.

It's all state sponsored stuff, guys. NPR, BBC, it's all controlled narratives to misdirect and/or drive a wedge between people.

Mods don't want us talking politics, so, I'll keep it short. This isn't about left or right. NPR employees people who helped our government lie the country to illegal wars (Judith Miller, Mara Liasson just to name two). I grew up listening to A Prairie Home Companion, Car Talk, etc. Entertaining stuff. Their news? Fake.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#118 » by 15th overall » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:03 pm

My takeaway from that NPR article is that Mr. Gurol sounds like a pretty crappy teacher tbh.

Guy is getting overwhelmed by a one way debate with Kyrie Irving on whether the earth is flat or not.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#119 » by OFWGKTA » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:19 pm

15th overall wrote:My takeaway from that NPR article is that Mr. Gurol sounds like a pretty crappy teacher tbh.

Guy is getting overwhelmed by a one way debate with Kyrie Irving on whether the earth is flat or not.

It's impossible to argue logically with middle schoolers
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#120 » by Spin Move » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

I don't think Kyrie was trolling, alot of athletes and alot of people for that matter who lack a ton of education and science literacy don't know how to tell what is a real scientific argument vs what a fake one is. Facebook sharing of completely BS article that are obviously complete bs which can be determined with a simple google scholar search are a good example of this. I think it should be brought up, Kyrie Irving. great basketball player, probably not someone you want to be taking science advice from.

Return to Boston Celtics