ImageImageImage

Injuries (2017-18): Whole Team Expected to be Ready for Preseason

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Re: Injuries: Irving (Knee); Brown (Concussion); Smart (Thumb); Theis (Meniscus) 

Post#1081 » by Scoonie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

I assume that this would be the final surgery he will need on that knee?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Re: Injuries: Irving (Knee); Brown (Concussion); Smart (Thumb); Theis (Meniscus) 

Post#1082 » by Homerclease » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 pm

ajones9219 wrote:Enough with the punt the season talk. If Kyrie is back in 3-4 weeks we still have a legit chance at the finals

No. Shut him down and get the knee right. Kyrie is going to be here for the next 8 years or so and we want him healthy for those years. This season is meaningless
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#1083 » by ajones9219 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:Enough with the punt the season talk. If Kyrie is back in 3-4 weeks we still have a legit chance at the finals

Celtics have no shot at making it to the finals. Celtics, best case with a healthy Irving, can get out of the first round and that is about it.

I can 100% see Irving getting shut down for season.

Lol that's a flat out absurd statement . Unless you really value theis that much . Because we were a " finals favorite" before the string of injuries but it seems like that's the only person we will be missing . Jaylen Kyrie and smart will all be back
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#1084 » by chrisab123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Homerclease wrote:Shut him down, get ready for next year

I agree. This year is a great story. Its been amazing and probably the most fun I've had watching this team since 2012. But theres nothing to be gained here. If the Celtics somehow make the finals they'll get killed by GSW. Why risk Kyrie's long term health (he's here for the long term unless something crazy happens in the offseason)?
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,798

Post#1085 » by pac213up » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

This season has always been about next season, even before GH went down. Get healthy for the run next year, let the young guys develop and do their thing. No reason to rush back for the postseason.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,327

Post#1086 » by douggood » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Scoonie wrote:I assume that this would be the final surgery he will need on that knee?

More of a stop gap surgery, still expect a major one soon.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#1087 » by ajones9219 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Homerclease wrote:

No. Shut him down and get the knee right. Kyrie is going to be here for the next 8 years or so and we want him healthy for those years. This season is meaningless

They are doing the surgery and the time table has him back for the playoffs. It would be stupid to shut him down . I'm sick of the defeatist attitudes. Playoffs this year mean more than October games next year if that was even a consideration which it isn't
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#1088 » by Homerclease » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Shut him down, get ready for next year

I agree. This year is a great story. Its been amazing and probably the most fun I've had watching this team since 2012. But theres nothing to be gained here. If the Celtics somehow make the finals they'll get killed by GSW. Why risk Kyrie's long term health (he's here for the long term unless something crazy happens in the offseason)?

Exactly. You don’t gamble with your best players health and run him out there at 75-80% in some thinly veiled championship attempt. This ones over. Feed Tatum and Brown a bunch of touches the rest of the way and look to the coming years
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#1089 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Celtics have no shot at making it to the finals. Celtics, best case with a healthy Irving, can get out of the first round and that is about it.

Lol that's a flat out absurd statement . Unless you really value theis that much . Because we were a " finals favorite" before the string of injuries but it seems like that's the only person we will be missing . Jaylen Kyrie and smart will all be back

With or without Irving Celtics are not beating the cavs in the second round.
*Insert witty signature here.*
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#1090 » by chrisab123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Without Kyrie they still probably make the 2nd round. So yes that is an absurd statement. Unless JB believes this team is going to run into Cleveland then I agree. Whoever waits the longest to play Cleveland out of Toronto and Boston will make it to the ECF. Cleveland has to be the strong favorite still to make the finals out of the East.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#1091 » by Homerclease » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

They are doing the surgery and the time table has him back for the playoffs. It would be stupid to shut him down . I'm sick of the defeatist attitudes. Playoffs this year mean more than October games next year if that was even a consideration which it isn't

Just because they say he can be back in 3-4 weeks doesn’t mean he’s 100%. There’s likely another, larger procedure coming in the offseason. The risk reward is just not worth it here
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#1092 » by ajones9219 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Without Kyrie they still probably make the 2nd round. So yes that is an absurd statement. Unless JB believes this team is going to run into Cleveland then I agree. Whoever waits the longest to play Cleveland out of Toronto and Boston will make it to the ECF. Cleveland has to be the strong favorite still to make the finals out of the East.

I still disagree I think Toronto and Boston best Cleveland. Honestly I think Cleveland struggles to make it out of the first round but ultimately does in a long series. They are trash
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#1093 » by ajones9219 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Homerclease wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:No. Shut him down and get the knee right. Kyrie is going to be here for the next 8 years or so and we want him healthy for those years. This season is meaningless

Just because they say he can be back in 3-4 weeks doesn’t mean he’s 100%. There’s likely another, larger procedure coming in the offseason. The risk reward is just not worth it here

We will have to agree to disagree
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,199

Post#1094 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Why not just get the whole thing done now?

Let’s boost Roziers stock and see how good Tatum and Brown can be in the playoffs.
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#1095 » by chrisab123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:08 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

If healthy they do have a shot. I mean not a great shot but that Cavs roster other than LeBron isn't that good. They are a worse team than last year. But you can't dismiss it from happening because you have a roster thats been completely turned over. The right thing to do is to shut Kyrie down. Long term anyways thats the move to make. Will they get Smart back for the 2nd round? Also plays a big factor into that since I'm not sure I feel comfortable about Rozier playing clutch defense in a playoff game.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1096 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Were not going to face them in the second round— look at Philly’s remaining schedule
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#1097 » by Homerclease » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

They might not even play the Cavs in the second round
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#1098 » by ajones9219 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:Lol that's a flat out absurd statement . Unless you really value theis that much . Because we were a " finals favorite" before the string of injuries but it seems like that's the only person we will be missing . Jaylen Kyrie and smart will all be back

If healthy they do have a shot. I mean not a great shot but that Cavs roster other than LeBron isn't that good. They are a worse team than last year. But you can't dismiss it from happening because you have a roster thats been completely turned over. The right thing to do is to shut Kyrie down. Long term anyways thats the move to make. Will they get Smart back for the 2nd round? Also plays a big factor into that since I'm not sure I feel comfortable about Rozier playing clutch defense in a playoff game.

As I stated in the last page I think they roll into the second round healthy outside hayward and to theis so I think folding on the season is pointless
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#1099 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:14 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:Lol that's a flat out absurd statement . Unless you really value theis that much . Because we were a " finals favorite" before the string of injuries but it seems like that's the only person we will be missing . Jaylen Kyrie and smart will all be back

Love is good and no matter how Thompson has played this year he wreaks havoc on the celtics when they play. Nance, Clarkson, Hill and Hood can do some damage as well. Maybe they are not as great as last year but they are still the best team in the east.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#1100 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Homerclease wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

They might not even play the Cavs in the second round

Looking at the rest of the cavs schedule I don't see them finishing any lower than 3.

I did look at the sixers schedule and I will admit that is a cakewalk. It is possible they get the 3rd seed but I am sticking with the cavs.

Return to Boston Celtics