ImageImageImage

2018 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Re: 2018 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#101 » by Homerclease » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
pfm wrote:I could see Ainge and Stevens being fans of Bagley when draft time rolls around. He's raw so I can see him having ups and downs this year, but he has the motor, athleticism, and potential for dual end versatility that they cherish.

Say a scenario happens where you guys get the 2nd pick and Doncic was the first off the board so Ayton and Bagley is there. I wouldnt be shocked if Ainge went with Bagley because that to me would just mean Ainge and Stevens really want the most versatile team possible. Out of the top 5 Bagley is the most versatile defensively and I wouldnt be shocked if they want a possible lineup of Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Bagley where 2-5 can switch everything.

Right now I have Ayton as the better prospect, but I can see why Ainge would go the Bagley route in todays game.

Here’s the thing about Ainges last two draft choices. Both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum were very highly regarded prospects respectively for their draft classes for years prior to going to college. Ainge had his eye on these guys for years before they ever worked out for us. They weren’t late risers, they were blue chip prospects from the get go.

The prospect who fits this bill this year is Ayton. This guy has been touted as the gem of this class for years and I think Ainge knows it. Ayton hasn’t snuck up on anyone and hasn’t come out of the blue or risen up late like a Fultz. If Ayton is on the board when we select he’s a Celtic.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#102 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 pm

threrf23 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Yeah, whoever takes Doncic is basically gambling that he'd be the next Larry Bird, who was able to overcome his limited athleticism with one of the highest basketball IQs of all time, combined with extreme confidence and a killer instinct.

That sort of gamble has yet to pay off. Like Magic said - "There will never be another Larry Bird!"

Well, this was the logic used to draft Fab Melo over Draymond Green. Dray slipped to the second round because supposedly he couldn't guard a single position. Dray is not Larry Bird, but just saying...

Draymond Green will have a better career than Doncic.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#103 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
pfm wrote:I could see Ainge and Stevens being fans of Bagley when draft time rolls around. He's raw so I can see him having ups and downs this year, but he has the motor, athleticism, and potential for dual end versatility that they cherish.

Say a scenario happens where you guys get the 2nd pick and Doncic was the first off the board so Ayton and Bagley is there. I wouldnt be shocked if Ainge went with Bagley because that to me would just mean Ainge and Stevens really want the most versatile team possible. Out of the top 5 Bagley is the most versatile defensively and I wouldnt be shocked if they want a possible lineup of Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Bagley where 2-5 can switch everything.

Right now I have Ayton as the better prospect, but I can see why Ainge would go the Bagley route in todays game.

Here’s the thing about Ainges last two draft choices. Both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum were very highly regarded prospects respectively for their draft classes for years prior to going to college. Ainge had his eye on these guys for years before they ever worked out for us. They weren’t late risers, they were blue chip prospects from the get go.

The prospect who fits this bill this year is Ayton. This guy has been touted as the gem of this class for years and I think Ainge knows it. Ayton hasn’t snuck up on anyone and hasn’t come out of the blue or risen up late like a Fultz. If Ayton is on the board when we select he’s a Celtic.

Ayton isnt the only one that fits this bill though. Scouts have pretty much been drooling over Bagley before he even stepped foot in high school. The dude has been talked about as a legit generational talent from scouts since he was in the 7th grade. Same goes for Bamba as well who had offers from all the top colleges since basically his freshman year. None of the guys in the top 5 from America in this class snuck up on anyone or has been late risers. Ayton, Bagley, Bamba and Porter have all been elite prospects all throughout high school.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#104 » by Homerclease » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ayton is the only one that fits this bill though. Scouts have pretty much been drooling over Bagley before he even stepped foot in high school. The dude has been talked about as a legit generational talent from scouts since he was in the 7th grade. Same goes for Bamba as well who had offers from all the top colleges since basically his freshman year. None of the guys in the top 5 from America in this class snuck up on anyone or has been late risers. Ayton, Bagley, Bamba and Porter have all been elite prospects all throughout high school.

This is true which is part of what makes this draft class so special and why I’m gonna chuckle at the fool who blows their pick on Doncic. But Ayton was viewed up until recently as the consensus number 1 pick for years with Bagley not even thought to be available for this class. They really can’t go wrong with any of them and I’m a huge Bagley fan as well. To me Ayton has the raw size you just can’t teach. 3 point range, passing out of the post, honestly I view him as a bigger Horford one day.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#105 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Here’s the thing about Ainges last two draft choices. Both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum were very highly regarded prospects respectively for their draft classes for years prior to going to college. Ainge had his eye on these guys for years before they ever worked out for us. They weren’t late risers, they were blue chip prospects from the get go.

Ayton is the only one that fits this bill though. Scouts have pretty much been drooling over Bagley before he even stepped foot in high school. The dude has been talked about as a legit generational talent from scouts since he was in the 7th grade. Same goes for Bamba as well who had offers from all the top colleges since basically his freshman year. None of the guys in the top 5 from America in this class snuck up on anyone or has been late risers. Ayton, Bagley, Bamba and Porter have all been elite prospects all throughout high school.

This is true which is part of what makes this draft class so special and why I’m gonna chuckle at the fool who blows their pick on Doncic. But Ayton was viewed up until recently as the consensus number 1 pick for years with Bagley not even thought to be available for this class. They really can’t go wrong with any of them and I’m a huge Bagley fan as well. To me Ayton has the raw size you just can’t teach. 3 point range, passing out of the post, honestly I view him as a bigger Horford one day.

I agree Ayton has always been the big dog for this class. Throughout the past couple years his name would slip from the #1 spot every once in awhile but that was just because of motor questions, not because of skill or potential questions. Im just saying all 4 of these guys have been blue chip guys since basically the day they stepped foot in high school or even before.

I also think if you want an Al Horford clone in this draft I think Wendell Carter fits that bill much better than Ayton. Carter is probably the best passing big man in this class, when you watch him you can just see how smart he is on both sides of the ball (same as Horford). Neither of them are superstar franchise guys but theyre winning basketball players. I think Carter is basically a more bouncier Horford who can rebound and protect the rim.

Ayton to me is a hulked up KAT. 5s that have it all offensively when it comes to scoring, can use their size down low to score over guys or have their jump shot as well. Ayton a little better down low than KAT at the same stage while KAT had the more consistent jumper. Both serviceable passers and arent looked at as black holes offensively. I also can see Ayton struggling to begin with defensively, he doesnt have the awareness on that side of the ball like Bamba or Bagley have right now and we see KAT struggling defensively also. But he has tremendous defensive potential because of his size and athleticism. Just have to hope he puts it together unlike KAT on that side of the ball.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,331

Post#106 » by DK-All Day » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

I like Porter but he would be a horrible fit here.
Handsome.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#107 » by Homerclease » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I agree Ayton has always been the big dog for this class. Throughout the past couple years his name would slip from the #1 spot every once in awhile but that was just because of motor questions, not because of skill or potential questions. Im just saying all 4 of these guys have been blue chip guys since basically the day they stepped foot in high school or even before.

I also think if you want an Al Horford clone in this draft I think Wendell Carter fits that bill much better than Ayton. Carter is probably the best passing big man in this class, when you watch him you can just see how smart he is on both sides of the ball (same as Horford). Neither of them are superstar franchise guys but theyre winning basketball players. I think Carter is basically a more bouncier Horford who can rebound and protect the rim.

Ayton to me is a hulked up KAT. 5s that have it all offensively when it comes to scoring, can use their size down low to score over guys or have their jump shot as well. Ayton a little better down low than KAT at the same stage while KAT had the more consistent jumper. Both serviceable passers and arent looked at as black holes offensively. I also can see Ayton struggling to begin with defensively, he doesnt have the awareness on that side of the ball like Bamba or Bagley have right now and we see KAT struggling defensively also. But he has tremendous defensive potential because of his size and athleticism. Just have to hope he puts it together unlike KAT on that side of the ball.

If Brad can turn Kyrie into a great defender just imagine what he can do with a specimen like Ayton.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#108 » by Theocy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:23 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Yeah just like D'Angelo Russell and Jahlil Okafor were the far superior prospects in comparison with Kristaps Porzingis. Just look at all those Euro's, they don't know how to play basketball.

I'm not saying that Doncic is in fact better than the guys you named, but your generalization is laughable.

What do all of those guys have that Doncic doesn’t? Elite athleticism. Doncic has even less than Mario Hezonja. Not saying he won’t be very good because I think he will but there is no way I would take him top 3. A GM with better scouting information might do so - but there is no way I would based on the info we fans have.

Yeah, whoever takes Doncic is basically gambling that he'd be the next Larry Bird, who was able to overcome his limited athleticism with one of the highest basketball IQs of all time, combined with extreme confidence and a killer instinct.

That sort of gamble has yet to pay off. Like Magic said - "There will never be another Larry Bird!"

Not surprised that the same people who thought Lonzo Ball was going to be a transcendent player think the same of Doncic.

he has almost 20 ppg against much older players (not even 19 yet), 60% on 2 points and about 39% on 3pt (also almost 90% on FT) and you compare him with the guy that can't shoot ? really? Lonzo played with school kids Doncic plays against mature guards. I don't get all the hate for the kid. Not saying he will be a HOF (you never know) but Hezonha was sitting at the end of Barcelonas bench and Doncic is leading Real. There's no comparison so stop the hating. Top 5 prospects next year >> Top 5 prospects this year >> Top 5 prospects last year. Doncic will be great.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#109 » by Homerclease » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am

Theocy wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
What do all of those guys have that Doncic doesn’t? Elite athleticism. Doncic has even less than Mario Hezonja. Not saying he won’t be very good because I think he will but there is no way I would take him top 3. A GM with better scouting information might do so - but there is no way I would based on the info we fans have.

Yeah, whoever takes Doncic is basically gambling that he'd be the next Larry Bird, who was able to overcome his limited athleticism with one of the highest basketball IQs of all time, combined with extreme confidence and a killer instinct.

Not surprised that the same people who thought Lonzo Ball was going to be a transcendent player think the same of Doncic.

he has almost 20 ppg against much older players (not even 19 yet), 60% on 2 points and about 39% on 3pt (also almost 90% on FT) and you compare him with the guy that can't shoot ? really? Lonzo played with school kids Doncic plays against mature guards. I don't get all the hate for the kid. Not saying he will be a HOF (you never know) but Hezonha was sitting at the end of Barcelonas bench and Doncic is leading Real. There's no comparison so stop the hating. Top 5 prospects next year >> Top 5 prospects this year >> Top 5 prospects last year. Doncic will be great.

Check out Balls shooting numbers at UCLA. Didn’t translate. Won’t for Doncic either. This top 5 is light years ahead of last years, next years and really any other since 2003
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Post#110 » by DarkAzcura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:43 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Yeah just like D'Angelo Russell and Jahlil Okafor were the far superior prospects in comparison with Kristaps Porzingis. Just look at all those Euro's, they don't know how to play basketball.

I'm not saying that Doncic is in fact better than the guys you named, but your generalization is laughable.

I was very lukewarm on Ball other than really enjoying how he pushes the ball and passes. I'm very much in the Doncic bandwagon. Great form on his shot, great pace, very good handle, and obviously fantastic vision. Ball and Doncic are incredibly different players, and it's mainly because Doncic has a better handle (or at least he's more comfortable with it) and his form is 10x better.

I'd be cool with anyone projected in the top 5 this year. It looks fantastic.

Homerclease wrote:
Theocy wrote:

Check out Balls shooting numbers at UCLA. Didn’t translate. Won’t for Doncic either. This top 5 is light years ahead of last years, next years and really any other since 2003

Ball's FT% was a red flag for how his 3PT% would translate that some people mentioned prior to the draft. Doncic is a fantastic FT shooter and his form should translate in a way Ball's hasn't been able to yet.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#111 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 am

Theocy wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Lol. Mature guards? He's playing against a bunch of guys who aren't good enough to be in the NBA.

Look at these highlights. Check out the awful defense being played. Doncic's stuff won't work in the NBA.

Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#112 » by Edug27 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You go Porter.

I think Porter is the least versatile player in the top 5. Hes by far the worst defender out of the top prospects in America, he doesnt have the lateral quickness to play the 3 and doesnt have the game to play the 5. Porter doesnt make much sense when youre already set for the future 1-4 with Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum. Porter cant play the 5 so he doesnt really fit with that group. You need someone that can play the 5, Horford is the only guy age wise that doesnt fit with the rest of the group and thats why I think you guys need to look for a future 5. You have the defensive rim protector with Bamba, you have the offensive force with defensive questions with Ayton, then you have the raw versatile guy in Bagley.

Give me the best player available and let Brad figure out the rest. It's positionless basketball.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#113 » by darylbe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:16 am

What's the deal-do you guys typically watch the big games, or follow certain players or what? I usually don't follow college til tournament... But I enjoy it because they let them play a bit more...

Sent from my LGMS428 using RealGM mobile app
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#114 » by djFan71 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Say a scenario happens where you guys get the 2nd pick and Doncic was the first off the board so Ayton and Bagley is there.

Danny trades down, the board freaks out and calls for his head. 2 months later, we're calling him a genius again and building statues.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#115 » by GuyClinch » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 am

Wait Fab Melo had elite athleticism? Hahaha. More to being athletic then just being able to jump. You need to be coordinated as well..
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#116 » by CelticsWin5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm

I could def see the Case for Bagley. The other question is if Ayton rises and someone takes him before us. We might be stuck looking at porter/Bamba/bridges/Carter

Not the worst problem in the world but ayton is just ridiculously good and have a feeling we've bad Dannys has his eyes on him for a while

btw I've been having fun with the mock draft simulator http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

it gets us ayton at the 2 or 3 spot occasionally since the Lakers are 7th worst currently. Cool to see
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#117 » by 31to6 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:56 pm

If Ayton is what we think he is it's going to be hard for him to not be the #1 pick.
I'm hoping for great seasons from Bamba, Bagley, and even Carter as well.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#118 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:29 am

Man, Bagley fits this team like a glove. He’s going to be switchable 2-5 one day and is the perfect compliment to Kyrie/Jaylen/Hayward/Tatum.

Getting him and putting him on the ‘Jaylen Brown’ development plan for a year is my goal. Guy is otherworldly athletic for a big.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#119 » by The Corey's » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:39 am

Porter is gonna slip now after the injury
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#120 » by BfB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 am

Give me Wendell Carter. Perfect Horford understudy who can do everything necessary to compliment Tatum/Brown/Kyrie - team has its top 3 scoring options locked up, they need a do all 5

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Boston Celtics