ImageImageImage

Around the NBA '17-'18 Season (Non-Celtics Talk)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,058

Re: Around the NBA '17-'18 Season (Non-Celtics Talk) 

Post#81 » by London2Boston » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 am

Darth Celtic wrote:Wizards are terrible.

What? Everyone tells me they are Cleveland's main completion though.. :-?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#82 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 am

well, if the cavs were afraid to face the wiz, the heat sure arent
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am

Austin Rivers is just terrible at basketball. He should try customer service, maybe telemarketing instead.
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,983

Post#84 » by Jakeopp » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

Wall with a goose egg after 3 quarters
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#85 » by Slax » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

I'm not really sure where to write this, but here goes...

Does anyone else feel like we as NBA fans have unlearned the lessons of the 2004 Pistons and the 2014 Spurs, two teams with balanced rosters and incredible defenses that brought down two of the most prominent superteams since the turn of the century? There seems to be a widespread presumption that the concentration of talent on the Warriors represents a sort of fundamental discontinuity between 2014 and today that made it impossible to build a contender with a well-balanced defense-oriented roster, because it's impossible to defend more than one or two great players at a time, and that the only way to win now is to acquire more star players to outscore the Warriors much like the Rockets and Thunder tried to do over the offseason. But what if that analysis is fundamentally flawed? What if the Warriors, even with all their talent, can still be consistently slowed down by a great defense, and the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that nobody has put together the right mix of talent and coaching to do it? Now, I don't think the Celtics are yet at a point where they have a realistic shot of beating the Warriors in a seven-game series; in fact, I'm struggling to even come to grips with the idea that they might be among the top three teams in the league without Hayward. But at the same time, I also wonder if I'm being overly narrow-minded about that. Nobody really thought the Pistons were in position to win a championship even after the Sheed trade. Why can't the Celtics be like the Pistons or Spurs - perhaps with the help of some development from Brown and Tatum over the course of the season, and with a small trade or buyout acquisition to bolster their roster? This is obviously super premature with such a small sample size, and in actuality I expect our defense to slide a bit back toward the pack in a way that could make this discussion moot. But if the Celtics do end the season with 60+ wins and the second or third best point differential in the league on the basis of a historically great defense and an improved offense, do we still say there's no way they can get lucky and knock off whoever comes out of the western conference?
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#86 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:41 am

Slax wrote:I'm not really sure where to write this, but here goes...

Does anyone else feel like we as NBA fans have unlearned the lessons of the 2004 Pistons and the 2014 Spurs, two teams with balanced rosters and incredible defenses that brought down two of the most prominent superteams since the turn of the century? There seems to be a widespread presumption that the concentration of talent on the Warriors represents a sort of fundamental discontinuity between 2014 and today that made it impossible to build a contender with a well-balanced defense-oriented roster, because it's impossible to defend more than one or two great players at a time, and that the only way to win now is to acquire more star players to outscore the Warriors much like the Rockets and Thunder tried to do over the offseason. But what if that analysis is fundamentally flawed? What if the Warriors, even with all their talent, can still be consistently slowed down by a great defense, and the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that nobody has put together the right mix of talent and coaching to do it? Now, I don't think the Celtics are yet at a point where they have a realistic shot of beating the Warriors in a seven-game series; in fact, I'm struggling to even come to grips with the idea that they might be among the top three teams in the league without Hayward. But at the same time, I also wonder if I'm being overly narrow-minded about that. Nobody really thought the Pistons were in position to win a championship even after the Sheed trade. Why can't the Celtics be like the Pistons or Spurs - perhaps with the help of some development from Brown and Tatum over the course of the season, and with a small trade or buyout acquisition to bolster their roster? This is obviously super premature with such a small sample size, and in actuality I expect our defense to slide a bit back toward the pack in a way that could make this discussion moot. But if the Celtics do end the season with 60+ wins and the second or third best point differential in the league on the basis of a historically great defense and an improved offense, do we still say there's no way they can get lucky and knock off whoever comes out of the western conference?

This is the best thing I've read in weeks
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#87 » by ViperGTS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:51 am

Cavs tied with with 20secs to go.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by ViperGTS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:52 am

Blake with the choke job.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#89 » by Slax » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 am

Cavs-Clippers going to OT.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#90 » by BigTrade92 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 am

I get that Tommy's officiating complaints may be too "homer-ific" for non-Celtics fans, but the Cavs announce team is absolutely brutal to listen to....

Their play-by-play guy goes absolutely nuts every time someone makes even the slightest of plays and the color guy just mumbles the whole time and repeats the play-by-play guy's cheesy lines....woof.....I'd go crazy having to listen to them for 82 games.....

Thank god for Mike and Tommy.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by ViperGTS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 am

Cavs win another one they should have lost. Team is a joke.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#92 » by 3D Chess » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 am

Some BS going down at the end of this Spurs OKC game.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 am

Jakeopp wrote:Wall with a goose egg after 3 quarters

best gaurd in the east
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#94 » by ParticleMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 am

way to channel your inner ainge! this is spot on.

this is what danny has been setting up all along... a tall, athletic defensive-minded team where there is maybe only 1 superstar but everyone on the floor can score and they share the ball.

i'm kind of stunned how quickly we've achieved the first part of that. now we just need to improve our offensive flow, and maybe phase out guys who simply can't score *cough*marcus*cough*. also getting GH back will dramatically improve our flow.

this may not be our year but next year, with hayward replacing morris, i definitely think we have a shot. even if the W's/cavs/whoever don't regress.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#95 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 am

ParticleMan wrote:

way to channel your inner ainge! this is spot on.

this is what danny has been setting up all along... a tall, athletic defensive-minded team where there is maybe only 1 superstar but everyone on the floor can score and they share the ball.

i'm kind of stunned how quickly we've achieved the first part of that. now we just need to improve our offensive flow, and maybe phase out guys who simply can't score *cough*marcus*cough*. also getting GH back will dramatically improve our flow.

this may not be our year but next year, with hayward replacing morris, i definitely think we have a shot. even if the W's/cavs/whoever don't regress.

Not saying it cant be done. Defending used to be close to impossible when this era of pace and space was starting out. Teams are slowly trending to play multiposition D with heavy switching. I think Celts are on top of that with Warriors in this regard. There's a window to execute it similar to how Pistons and Spurs did it before.

Man.. Ainge is a genius. He got assets to mold the team into a team that embodies all the things Celts learned in the play-offs. Very good 3pt shooting matters.. Good offensive system matters.. ISO scoring matters.. Ability to defend multiple position matters.. Right now Celts are playing the right way. The amount of time it took to get chemistry was impressive
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Hybrid Shadow
Senior
And1: 1,875

Post#96 » by Hybrid Shadow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:06 am

Didn't see this posted anywhere. I know he's no longer playing for the Cs and I'm fully in love with our team now with Kyrie at the helm, but man I will never stop having love for that man. He's got so much heart and the things he did for this team the last few years were so damn special. Celtic for life.
==============ImageCELTIC PRIDEImage==============
BannerStatus
Junior
And1: 218

Post#97 » by BannerStatus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 am

Hybrid Shadow wrote:

Didn't see this posted anywhere. I know he's no longer playing for the Cs and I'm fully in love with our team now with Kyrie at the helm, but man I will never stop having love for that man. He's got so much heart and the things he did for this team the last few years were so damn special. Celtic for life.

I'll always love the guy, but I've had just about enough of IT for a while. I need a break from all things IT. We'll see you in the spring, bro.
"I break bread, ribs, hundred dollar bills / peel on Ducati's and other four wheels" RIP Prodigy.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,161

Post#98 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:I get that Tommy's officiating complaints may be too "homer-ific" for non-Celtics fans, but the Cavs announce team is absolutely brutal to listen to....

Their play-by-play guy goes absolutely nuts every time someone makes even the slightest of plays and the color guy just mumbles the whole time and repeats the play-by-play guy's cheesy lines....woof.....I'd go crazy having to listen to them for 82 games.....

Thank god for Mike and Tommy.

'Ohh LeBron James deeeeep in the Q'...

A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#99 » by SMTBSI » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Lakers quietly 1-5 in their last 6. Tied for the 8th worst record, and a half game up from the 5th worse.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#100 » by sam_I_am » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:

This is the best thing I've read in weeks

Unfortunately, the GSW are more balanced, deeper and defensively versatile than even those Pistons and Spurs teams. The 2004 Pistons had 5 very good occasional all stars who complimented each other and were faced with a Laker team with 2 all time greats and a supporting cast. Today’s challenge is much greater.

The GSW have two of the top 3 players in the game who also just happen to be perfect fits for a versatile, unselfish team approach. They also have 2 other top 15 in the NBA players starting and two former franchise stars past their prime coming off the bench. Even the great Bulls teams who nobody could beat would be envious even if they did have MJ.

Return to Boston Celtics