ImageImageImage

Bonzie Colson! The late first round pick?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bonzie Colson?

Bonzie Colson with pick 30.
25%
Bonzie Colson with an acquired via trade second round pick.
17%
No Bonzie Colson.
58%

Total votes: 12

Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Bonzie Colson! The late first round pick? 

Post#1 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:48 am

Bonzie Colson does seem like an ideal unique player to add to a team that knows how to use players like that. No second rounder to use, only a couple of possible open roster spots, and maybe a few smaller power forwards already on the roster. Semi Ojeleye and Guerschon Yabusele have guaranteed money next season and a similar build and game to Bonzie Colson.

If there is pick 2 to 5 to use, then 80% chance that is a tall player. If Baynes comes back, that means Larkin is the only free agent and possible open roster spot, unless someone with a possible non-guaranteed deal, maybe Nader, goes away? Bonzie Colson would be super to have, but difficult to find a spot for.

You want smallball, he can play center. Bonzie Colson leading the bench group of three point guards, something different.

Best thing would be to find a second rounder for Bonzie Colson to be picked, maybe.
711takeover
Veteran
And1: 2,135

Re: Bonzie Colson! The late first round pick? 

Post#2 » by 711takeover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:58 am

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Bonzie Colson does seem like an ideal unique player to add to a team that knows how to use players like that. No second rounder to use, only a couple of possible open roster spots, and maybe a few smaller power forwards already on the roster. Semi Ojeleye and Guerschon Yabusele have guaranteed money next season and a similar build and game to Bonzie Colson.

If there is pick 2 to 5 to use, then 80% chance that is a tall player. If Baynes comes back, that means Larkin is the only free agent and possible open roster spot, unless someone with a possible non-guaranteed deal, maybe Nader, goes away? Bonzie Colson would be super to have, but difficult to find a spot for.

You want smallball, he can play center. Bonzie Colson leading the bench group of three point guards, something different.

Best thing would be to find a second rounder for Bonzie Colson to be picked, maybe.

I would love Bonzie on this team. He would fit on this team like a glove. As a disclaimer, I'm a huge ND fan so obviously a bit biased. However, he just averaged 18 and 10 in the ACC last year. Yes, he is only 6'5" so undersized but has a 7'1" wingspan and is a double double machine. Oh, he also shot 43% 3PT and 78% FT. I think he would be a great addition to the second unit to have spacing and run 5 out. His defense is average but I think he could do decently well at PF and Brad Stevens has a great relationship with Mike Brey and would know how to play to his strengths! Not only does Bonzie have a great stroke but he plays with a chip on his shoulder and is a junkyard dog and would fit the Celtics mentality of being a dog on this team.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#3 » by Kalela » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 am

He is a 6'4" stretch power forward. I am not a fan of undersized players. If he can play as an SG and learn to defend the perimeter then I would be okay with him.
Fire Mazzulla
711takeover
Veteran

Post#4 » by 711takeover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Kalela wrote:He is a 6'4" stretch power forward. I am not a fan of undersized players. If he can play as an SG and learn to defend the perimeter then I would be okay with him.

He's 6'5" with a 7'1" wingspan and just got done averaging 10 RPG in the ACC. Clearly the height isn't the issue for him lol
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#5 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I have no clue who he is, but I like his name, and will be a fan of anyone who CHL endorses, strictly for the epic threads that shall follow. Sign me up for the Bonzie Colson fan club.
711takeover
Veteran

Post#6 » by 711takeover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I have no clue who he is, but I like his name, and will be a fan of anyone who CHL endorses, strictly for the epic threads that shall follow. Sign me up for the Bonzie Colson fan club.

He was 1st team all ACC and 3rd team all American as a junior last year for Notre Dame. He's preseason ACC POY and 1st team all American. He averaged 18 and 10 last year and 43% 3PT as a forward
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#7 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

guy is projected 58th pick
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
711takeover
Veteran

Post#8 » by 711takeover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:guy is projected 58th pick

Because of his height and age... Production wise he's on Caleb Swanigan's level and Swanigan was a late first rounder i believe. Celtics shouldn't take him first round but early 2nd would be great
rmal8852
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#9 » by rmal8852 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

I'd take this guy on heart and hustle alone.

Last year when we knew we were going to get a top pick and had an early second too, we had a daily thread on potential draftees playing on TV that day so we could watch them.

I first only included VJ Beachem when ND was playing. But Bonzie impressed me...a lot...so I started to include him.

Weaknesses: height (6"5'), foot-speed, age

Strengths: Versatility, excellent help defender, length (7 foot wingspan), tenacity, toughness, rebounding, strength, court vision and BBIQ and leadership.

He's a gamble for sure.....the type of player Riverboat Danny would take a chance on.

EDIT: One more thing in his favor (likeability-wise): he's a local boy, New Bedford or Fall River, I think.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#10 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 pm

UConn was his dream school and Ollie wouldn't give him a call-back. D'oh.
711takeover
Veteran

Post#11 » by 711takeover » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 am

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:UConn was his dream school and Ollie wouldn't give him a call-back. D'oh.

How do you know Uconn was his dream school? His dad coached at BC I know before so he grew up loving them. Just curious!
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#12 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:21 am

711takeover wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:UConn was his dream school and Ollie wouldn't give him a call-back. D'oh.

How do you know Uconn was his dream school? His dad coached at BC I know before so he grew up loving them. Just curious!

This will help. Looks like UConn were asleep and missed out.

"UConn really hasn't been contacting me," Colson, who made an unofficial to Storrs earlyl in the summer, said on Wednesday evening. "They wanted me to go on an official, but I haven't heard from them. I'm trying to contact Coach (Kevin) Ollie and Coach (Glen) Miller, but they're waiting for the right time, I guess."

It remains to be seen if that time may become too late at some point.

"I always wanted to go to UConn, it was always one of my dream schools," Colson said. "The two other (visits) are still open. I'm going to have to sit down and decide which ones to take."

More important, only a week or so away is the game at #2 Michigan State which will show if Bonzie is first round material. Another smaller team, and with two NBA forwards playing against Colson. If the Celtics had a chance at pick 6, and they don't, then Bridges could have been the pick. Bonzie can be compared to him in this game, .
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 am

Darth Celtic wrote:guy is projected 58th pick

maybe we need to tank a little so our second rounder falls into that top 55 protected range....
Sign here
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#14 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:
711takeover wrote:

This will help. Looks like UConn were asleep and missed out.

"UConn really hasn't been contacting me," Colson, who made an unofficial to Storrs earlyl in the summer, said on Wednesday evening. "They wanted me to go on an official, but I haven't heard from them. I'm trying to contact Coach (Kevin) Ollie and Coach (Glen) Miller, but they're waiting for the right time, I guess."

It remains to be seen if that time may become too late at some point.

"I always wanted to go to UConn, it was always one of my dream schools," Colson said. "The two other (visits) are still open. I'm going to have to sit down and decide which ones to take."

More important, only a week or so away is the game at #2 Michigan State which will show if Bonzie is first round material. Another smaller team, and with two NBA forwards playing against Colson. If the Celtics had a chance at pick 6, and they don't, then Bridges could have been the pick. Bonzie can be compared to him in this game, .

Here's the link:

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/08/terry-larrier-liked-uconn-visit-bonzie.html

The Huskies seem to be biding their time with Colson, an undersized (6-foot-5) power forward -- perhaps waiting until other options like [Terry] Larrier, [Devin] Robinson or Abdul Malik Abu make their decisions.

Fail. Although we eventually got Larrier!
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Post#15 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm

I haven't started to look that closely at the guys projected to go after the first 5, although last year I was a big fan of Alonzo Trier, who stayed in school.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#16 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd take Grayson Allen at the end of the first or early second. He's basically Danny Ainge. I'm sure Danny likes him. Perfect 6th man scorer, shot creator/maker.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#17 » by Kalela » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:I'd take Grayson Allen at the end of the first or early second. He's basically Danny Ainge. I'm sure Danny likes him. Perfect 6th man scorer, shot creator/maker.

Ainge was before my time. Was he as dirty as Allen? :lol:
Fire Mazzulla
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#18 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Kalela wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:I'd take Grayson Allen at the end of the first or early second. He's basically Danny Ainge. I'm sure Danny likes him. Perfect 6th man scorer, shot creator/maker.

Ainge was one of the more hated players to ever play in the league. I'm also not from that time, but I've watched a few games/videos.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,487

Post#19 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Mitchell Robinson will be Boston's first round pick, his draft stock will drop from sitting out and Ainge will on top of things scouting him.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#20 » by Smitty731 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Kalela wrote:

Worse. By a considerable margin.

Return to Boston Celtics