ImageImageImage

Trade Season Thread, 2017-18 – Deadline: Thurs, Feb. 8, 3PM, EST

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

NotALongIslandr
Senior
And1: 217

Re: Trade-Machine-Season-Official-Rumors-Thread, 2017-18 

Post#161 » by NotALongIslandr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am

Speculation (w/ C's #1 this year going out, maybe future 1sts also in years LAC & MEM 1sts convey) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8ru8ctl
"Whiny, petulant, entitled, self-important—no, it’s not Boston fans we’re talking about, it’s Boston sportswriters. How did the sports media in this town, once the envy of the nation, become so awful?"
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#162 » by ddb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

sully00 wrote:
ddb wrote:If Danny makes a move it will be for a player that is good enough to crack the rotation and add value. The team defense has been so good that I cannot imagine the Celtics bringing in a player that isn't going to fit that mold. Also, Danny is very protective of his draft assets. If you look at his track record, he isn't the type of GM that coughs up draft assets easily. He won't send a 1st round pick for rental. Very doubtful. If he does then it's because he believes the player being acquired can be a roster piece moving forward.

-I mentioned Belinelli right after the Hayward injury and I talked about why I thought he'd fit in well. Since then this team has proven to be awesome defensively so I've changed my thought process a bit.
-Tyreke is going to be expensive. If the Celtics ended up landing Evans then that would signal that Danny prefers Evans over Smart moving forward. I can't see this happening.
-I feel like Boston will kick the tires on a number of players, probably players we aren't mentioning right now...likely to be guys that can guard multiple positions, be an upgrade over a current back end rotation player, and preferably a guy that will come at a fair price point.

I think it's more likely that Danny explores the waiver wire utilizing the DPE VS trading for a player that'll cost assets

I don't think Evans is going to be that expensive moving forward he is an MLE player at this point. He was available to every team in the league this last off season and was signed for 3.3 mil.

That said I think he is a great fit for Boston for this season and moving forward, he gives you scoring, rebounding and play making at good size and can give you mins at multiple positions.

I am not against giving up Boston's #1 with the DPE for Evans. I don't know how we are going to roster another rookie next season.

Tyreke, when healthy is a good player. I guess I have two concerns. One is the cost of acquiring him in a trade. Memphis has zero motivation to move him unless they're getting a 1st round pick in return. He's a productive, cheap and expiring player. If they plan on being a playoff team next season with a healthy Gasol/Conley, wouldn't they want Evans around too?
Would he be a rental in Boston? Or would Danny have plans for him here moving forward? I think it's unlikely he comes to Boston in a trade. One issue to consider is in Memphis he starts and has the ball in his hands all the time. Especially, with Conley out. In Boston he'd be coming off the bench sharing the ball-handling responsibilities. He'd be relegated to more of a part-time ball-handler/part-time catch and shoot guy. I'm not sure if that plays into his strengths. I'm not even sure how many minutes are available to him. He's actually pretty redundant with Marcus Smart even though they have different strengths.
And I simply cannot see Boston messing with Smart's role on this team. Even though he drives some people crazy, he's still highly valuable to the team. He's well respected, a great defender, and a leader.

I still have my money on Ainge bringing in a guy with more size.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#163 » by Edug27 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Belinelli is probably the best and most realistic target for the DPE. He's a solid 3pt shooter and can pass the ball. Not a game changer though. More for depth purposes.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#164 » by Scoonie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Edug27 wrote:Belinelli is probably the best and most realistic target for the DPE. He's a solid 3pt shooter and can pass the ball. Not a game changer though. More for depth purposes.

What do we give up to get him?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
jordb2k7
Pro Prospect
And1: 890

Post#165 » by jordb2k7 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Scoonie wrote:
Edug27 wrote:Belinelli is probably the best and most realistic target for the DPE. He's a solid 3pt shooter and can pass the ball. Not a game changer though. More for depth purposes.

What do we give up to get him?

He could be acquired with the DPE and a 2nd I'm sure would do it. Here's the issue, he's an ok player and all but can you really see him on the team beyond this year? I don't and I think the FO is thinking if they are going to use the DPE it needs to be of value not for just half a year. Imagine if we had 2 MLE's to use and didn't have to worry about tax implications. There would probably be someone fairly legit we could acquire with that considering our status as a contender with a returning Gordon Hayward. Biggest issue is most of the players eligible via trade won't fit in long term. Also there are tax implications that are real so I'm not so sure we use the DPE outside of buyout season.

I hope we find a creative use for this that nets us a good player moving forward as well.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#166 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Boston doesn't have a 2nd until 2021.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#167 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm

I would rather have Joe Harris from Brooklyn. Belinelli is just a chucker.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#168 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 pm

ddb wrote:
sully00 wrote:
ddb wrote:If Danny makes a move it will be for a player that is good enough to crack the rotation and add value. The team defense has been so good that I cannot imagine the Celtics bringing in a player that isn't going to fit that mold. Also, Danny is very protective of his draft assets. If you look at his track record, he isn't the type of GM that coughs up draft assets easily. He won't send a 1st round pick for rental. Very doubtful. If he does then it's because he believes the player being acquired can be a roster piece moving forward.

-I mentioned Belinelli right after the Hayward injury and I talked about why I thought he'd fit in well. Since then this team has proven to be awesome defensively so I've changed my thought process a bit.
-Tyreke is going to be expensive. If the Celtics ended up landing Evans then that would signal that Danny prefers Evans over Smart moving forward. I can't see this happening.
-I feel like Boston will kick the tires on a number of players, probably players we aren't mentioning right now...likely to be guys that can guard multiple positions, be an upgrade over a current back end rotation player, and preferably a guy that will come at a fair price point.

I think it's more likely that Danny explores the waiver wire utilizing the DPE VS trading for a player that'll cost assets

I don't think Evans is going to be that expensive moving forward he is an MLE player at this point. He was available to every team in the league this last off season and was signed for 3.3 mil.

That said I think he is a great fit for Boston for this season and moving forward, he gives you scoring, rebounding and play making at good size and can give you mins at multiple positions.

I am not against giving up Boston's #1 with the DPE for Evans. I don't know how we are going to roster another rookie next season.

Tyreke, when healthy is a good player. I guess I have two concerns. One is the cost of acquiring him in a trade. Memphis has zero motivation to move him unless they're getting a 1st round pick in return. He's a productive, cheap and expiring player. If they plan on being a playoff team next season with a healthy Gasol/Conley, wouldn't they want Evans around too?
Would he be a rental in Boston? Or would Danny have plans for him here moving forward? I think it's unlikely he comes to Boston in a trade. One issue to consider is in Memphis he starts and has the ball in his hands all the time. Especially, with Conley out. In Boston he'd be coming off the bench sharing the ball-handling responsibilities. He'd be relegated to more of a part-time ball-handler/part-time catch and shoot guy. I'm not sure if that plays into his strengths. I'm not even sure how many minutes are available to him. He's actually pretty redundant with Marcus Smart even though they have different strengths.
And I simply cannot see Boston messing with Smart's role on this team. Even though he drives some people crazy, he's still highly valuable to the team. He's well respected, a great defender, and a leader.

So whether or not Memphis has interest in Evans next year is somewhat not important because they can deal him at the deadline and resign him in the summer he is on a 1 year deal so Bird Rights are a non issue. He also has to approve the deal.

I think Evans is a very good fit for Boston as it gives them a poor man version of Hayward for the short term and possibly a primary bench option in the long term. Evans has been coming off the bench for the last couple of seasons, and has only started half his games in Memphis and the team has only won 30% of their games with him in that role so I don't think that is the future in Memphis.

I think Evans is at the point in his career where winning will matter, which is probably why he is playing in Memphis for 3 mil.

As far as Evans and Smart being redundant my goodness. I admire Smart's defense but he has to be the worst offensive player in the NBA getting 30 mpg. Evans is pushing 20ppg in the same role. He is no where near the defender but at some point this team is going to have balance this out to win in the postseason. This team is relying on Brown and Tatum for so much production at this point to have that backed up by Rozier, Morris, and Smart in the postseason is just not realistic. I am not talking about simply replacing Smart with Evans but trimming Marcus' mins down to 20 taking on the mins that go to Ojeleye, Larkin, Baynes and Theis so that you don't have to live and die with these guys in a bad match up.

That is the beauty of Evans and he can play 1-3 and handle the ball and he rebounds. He also experienced what it was like to walk into the league and be a star and then struggle to maintain that which could be helpful for Brown and Tatum.
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#169 » by leper-con » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 pm

I don't think three is a move out there that can significantly help us that we can realistically make.

i wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Jabari PArker if the Bucks were willing to talk a deal. He is injury prone but would provide another wing scorer.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#170 » by ddb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:40 pm

sully00 wrote:
ddb wrote:
sully00 wrote:

So whether or not Memphis has interest in Evans next year is somewhat not important because they can deal him at the deadline and resign him in the summer he is on a 1 year deal so Bird Rights are a non issue. He also has to approve the deal.

I think Evans is a very good fit for Boston as it gives them a poor man version of Hayward for the short term and possibly a primary bench option in the long term. Evans has been coming off the bench for the last couple of seasons, and has only started half his games in Memphis and the team has only won 30% of their games with him in that role so I don't think that is the future in Memphis.

I think Evans is at the point in his career where winning will matter, which is probably why he is playing in Memphis for 3 mil.

As far as Evans and Smart being redundant my goodness. I admire Smart's defense but he has to be the worst offensive player in the NBA getting 30 mpg. Evans is pushing 20ppg in the same role. He is no where near the defender but at some point this team is going to have balance this out to win in the postseason. This team is relying on Brown and Tatum for so much production at this point to have that backed up by Rozier, Morris, and Smart in the postseason is just not realistic. I am not talking about simply replacing Smart with Evans but trimming Marcus' mins down to 20 taking on the mins that go to Ojeleye, Larkin, Baynes and Theis so that you don't have to live and die with these guys in a bad match up.

That is the beauty of Evans and he can play 1-3 and handle the ball and he rebounds. He also experienced what it was like to walk into the league and be a star and then struggle to maintain that which could be helpful for Brown and Tatum.

well if there's anyone that can make it all work, it's Brad. And I know Danny has kept his eyes on Tyreke throughout his career. IDK.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Re: RE: Re: Trade-Machine-Season-Official-Rumors-Thread, 2017-18 

Post#171 » by Moose23 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

I would rather have Joe Harris from Brooklyn. Belinelli is just a chucker.
Belli is a system player

Looked good in Sas imo.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#172 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 pm

ddb wrote:
sully00 wrote:
ddb wrote:

well if there's anyone that can make it all work, it's Brad. And I know Danny has kept his eyes on Tyreke throughout his career. IDK.

Interesting. Always felt that the board was more interested in Tyreke than Danny. Whatever the case I'm getting the feeling that neither Tyreke or Lou will be available since the Clippers seem to be doing alright lately and the Grizz refuses to rebuild.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#173 » by Banks2Pierce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 pm

leper-con wrote:I don't think three is a move out there that can significantly help us that we can realistically make.

I am coming to a similar conclusion and it leaves me feeling like this will be a very boring deadline. There are guys like Tyreke Evans that I like, but he's a big minute player that will take minutes from Terry and Smarf and we'd have to give our 1st in the absence of a high 2nd.

If project bigs that can play the 4 and maybe some 5 hit the market, I could see that being intriguing as well. Lyles, Portis, and Juancho(not a 5) come to mind. I did think of a banger 5 in case Baynes wants a long or higher deal, but they seem to be out there for exceptions every year.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#174 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

Insider: NBA trade deadline guide: What deals can each team make?
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21750469/nba-trade-deadline-guide-all-30-teams

Boston Celtics

What to watch

Roster spot 15: The Celtics can be proactive leading up to the deadline or wait until a veteran is bought out of his contract. The $8.4 million disabled player exception that expires on March 12 is a tool for Boston to add a player without giving up a player in a return. One name to keep an eye on is the Mavericks' Nerlens Noel. Though the Dallas center is injured, Noel's $4.2 million salary fits into the exception.

Restrictions/notes

Boston can trade its own second round picks from 2020 on.

Charlotte Hornets

What to watch

The Rudy Gay model: Back in 2013, Toronto traded starter Rudy Gay to Sacramento for a package of role players including Patrick Patterson. The move turned a 7-12 team that had lost its way into a squad that finished the season 48-33.

Charlotte has a 10-16 record and is stuck in neutral. Could the Hornets turn a starter like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marvin Williams or Nicolas Batum into a package of players that turn their season around? If they do, it could have long-term implications, especially with All-Star Kemba Walker set to hit free agency in 2019.

Restrictions/notes

Charlotte is currently $1.8 million below the luxury tax. Going into the tax would cost the Hornets $2.3 million in tax reimbursement.

Los Angeles Lakers

What to watch

Julius Randle: For the Lakers to optimize Randle's trade value, the former lottery pick would need to be traded by the Feb. 8 deadline. The obstacle that Lakers management will face is finding a team willing to trade away a key asset (like a draft pick) for a player they could sign as a restricted free agent in July.

Randle's Bird rights (carrying the ability to exceed the cap) have appeal based on the majority of the teams not having cap space next summer. If the Lakers fail to trade Randle, they run the risk of losing him for nothing in the offseason.

Restrictions/notes

Andrew Bogut has a Dec. 19 trade restriction.

Memphis Grizzlies

What to watch

Brandan Wright, Tyreke Evans and James Ennis: Like the 2016 trade deadline when Memphis was in playoff contention and traded the expiring contracts of Jeff Green and Courtney Lee for draft assets, history should repeat itself with all three of these veterans.

They are on expiring contracts and Memphis is headed toward the lottery for the first time since 2009-10. Grizzlies management should be in seller mode during the next six weeks.

Restrictions/notes

JaMychal Green cannot be traded until Jan. 15.

Memphis is $7.1 million under the tax and also has a $3.4 million trade exception.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#175 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Re: Noel, we’re better off if he gets bought out, because signing him for 8.4 million would give us a better chance of keeping him in the summer. With no Bird rights, trading for him with the DPE means we could offer him a minuscule raise over his current money, or sign him to the MLE.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#176 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

leper-con wrote:I don't think three is a move out there that can significantly help us that we can realistically make.

i wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Jabari PArker if the Bucks were willing to talk a deal. He is injury prone but would provide another wing scorer.

Hadn’t thought of that.
Moose23
Analyst

Post#177 » by Moose23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:47 pm

I love Al but would NOH take him and a load of youth and picks for Davis??

After watching last night I am having dreams of seeing

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Davis.

No team in the league could stop that.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#178 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Moose23 wrote:I love Al but would NOH take him and a load of youth and picks for Davis??

Celtics would have to give up Horford, Tatum, Brown, LAL/SAC 1st rounder and Memphis 1st rounder just to have New Orleans even think about it then they would say no.
Moose23
Analyst

Re: RE: Re: Trade-Machine-Season-Official-Rumors-Thread, 2017-18 

Post#179 » by Moose23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Moose23 wrote:I love Al but would NOH take him and a load of youth and picks for Davis??

Celtics would have to give up Horford, Tatum, Brown, LAL/SAC 1st rounder and Memphis 1st rounder just to have New Orleans even think about it then they would say no.
Thats a gross overpay.

If that is the return nola would expect then they will just lose davis in free agency or have him at some point demand a trade

Has anyone in nba history gotten that much of a return in a trade?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#180 » by reload141 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 am

Will see some action within the day or two from us. (Nothing too major just an FYI)

Return to Boston Celtics