ImageImageImage

LA Lakers Pick Watch part 2: Speak it into existence

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FuriousRiles
Senior
And1: 749

Re: LA Lakers Pick Watch part 2: Speak it into existence 

Post#1221 » by FuriousRiles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 am

Wow! Magic beat MIN!!!!!!!
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#1222 » by CelticsWin5 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 am

That's what I want to see magic!
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#1223 » by rickrolled » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:25 am

FuriousRiles wrote:Wow! Magic beat MIN!!!!!!!

Can't believe they won, still bracing myself for what they'll look like come deadline.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#1224 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 am

711takeover wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Homerclease wrote:You’re right, there’s still hope for James Young too.

Send Yabusele back to China where he belongs. He can open a restaurant chain with Sully over there

How are they even remotely comparable?

But yeah just give up on a rookie after he’s barely played. So logical.

Not gonna entirely give up on Yabusele but I think you can tell he won't be an nba player. There are guys you can tell from day 1 aren't. I hope I'm wrong but I fail to see anything so far that tells me he was worth the #16 pick in the draft

He’s not your typical rookie though. That’s why I find it ridiculous that he’s been written off after half a rookie season on a top team.

He came from Europe as a project, he didn’t grow up in the American basketball system. It’s not that surprising that he hasn’t impacted in the NBA yet.

No idea why some on here act like he was meant to impact like Dario Saric in year one. Saric was more mature and played in a better league.
711takeover
Veteran
And1: 2,135

Post#1225 » by 711takeover » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
711takeover wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:How are they even remotely comparable?

Not gonna entirely give up on Yabusele but I think you can tell he won't be an nba player. There are guys you can tell from day 1 aren't. I hope I'm wrong but I fail to see anything so far that tells me he was worth the #16 pick in the draft

He’s not your typical rookie though. That’s why I find it ridiculous that he’s been written off after half a rookie season on a top team.

He came from Europe as a project, he didn’t grow up in the American basketball system. It’s not that surprising that he hasn’t impacted in the NBA yet.

No idea why some on here act like he was meant to impact like Dario Saric in year one. Saric was more mature and played in a better league.

I'm not expecting him to be like Saric but he has no feel for the game and just doesn't look like a basketball player. He should be spending the season in the G league to help his development (that's not a diss to him btw). He had 32 and 8 I saw so I'm a bit surprised some of that success hasn't carried over. He seems to just take the wide open threes when he gets minutes and doesn't make a difference.

It's obviously early in his career and I'm not writing him off but just stating I personally don't think he has an nba future and he hasn't shown anything to disprove those thoughts. We had so many picks in that draft and needed to take an overseas guy to stash to have the max cap space to go after KD but I hated the pick from the beginning based on the players we passed on
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#1226 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 am

711takeover wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
711takeover wrote:

I'm not expecting him to be like Saric but he has no feel for the game and just doesn't look like a basketball player. He should be spending the season in the G league to help his development (that's not a diss to him btw). He had 32 and 8 I saw so I'm a bit surprised some of that success hasn't carried over. He seems to just take the wide open threes when he gets minutes and doesn't make a difference.

It's obviously early in his career and I'm not writing him off but just stating I personally don't think he has an nba future and he hasn't shown anything to disprove those thoughts. We had so many picks in that draft and needed to take an overseas guy to stash to have the max cap space to go after KD but I hated the pick from the beginning based on the players we passed on

To me he looks like a guy who lacks any sort of confidence when he plays in the NBA. In the G-League he attacks off the dribble without thinking about it, in the NBA he settles for jumpers. He seems afraid of making mistakes
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#1227 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:41 am

The 2016 draft for the Celtics was more salary cap dictated than it was talent dictated outside of Brown. An argument could be made that Boston would have been better off trading the 16th pick and 23rd pick for a future pick, but free agency was a madhouse that summer, and it probably had a big impact on the draft, as far as roster space was concerned.

Harping on about a "Rookie" who's played a grand total of 85 minutes in his NBA career seems a little short-sighted right now. The key to Yabu's future is going to be

a) Becoming a great screener
b) Knocking down the three (38.9%)
c) Learning how to use his size to clear out space inside
d) Team defense

He's already a great teammate, which can have value, especially at the end of the bench. He has a great contract, which is important for this team right now, and the Celtics should not need him to have to play much of a role this year to be successful. It's all about progression at this point. Can he continue to shoot the three well with more attempts? Did he make improvement going into year two? Making any judgements on him this year is like throwing a child in a lake and determining whether or not they are going to be good swimmer. It takes a little time and some coaching, but given his age his time should be two years at the most. By the time 2019 rolls around we should be able to get a better feel for his NBA future.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#1228 » by Homerclease » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
711takeover wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:How are they even remotely comparable?

Nobody mentioned Dario Saric except you. This is a straw man. What people are expecting is a guy drafted at 16th overall to actually contribute on the basketball court as opposed to the conveyor belt of excuses paraded out for him. He’s already been surpassed on the depth chart by Theis and Semi and more talent is coming in the front court soon. Yabusele has no future here other than a human victory cigar
Smeff10
Junior
And1: 287

Post#1229 » by Smeff10 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Can we stay on topic. Why are we discussing Yabu and Saric? The topic is the Lakers draft pick
Crossy2008
Sixth Man

Post#1230 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

If the Lakers lose their next 4 games that would be a huge bonus for the Celtics chances of getting the pick. After that they play 12 out of their next 15 games on the road. They don't exactly play the toughest competition over that stretch, but the only teams they've beaten on the road are Phoenix, Dallas, Charlotte, Philly, and Houston. Looking at the box score for that Houston game, D'Antoni only played 7 players in that game, including 45 minutes for Ariza and 43 minutes for Harden. Towards the end of that road stretch, the Lakers schedule has them playing an 11 game stretch where 10 of their opponents currently have a better than .500 record.

The other potential big impact is if the Lakers can finagle a way to get Deng out of town by making a lopsided trade to incentivize a team to take him. I mean, if you're Magic, you're not getting the pick no matter where you finish, and it's all about setting yourself up for the summer.

The bottom 11 teams in the standings are just so close to one another. Memphis has decent protections on that pick they owe us over the next couple seasons, so it won't be as exciting to watch where that pick lands until 2021 if it doesn't transfer before then. I think I will miss the extra added element of rooting for teams to lose, but I'm also kind of looking forward to it. Besides, I always root for the Lakers to lose whether we have their pick or not. I just wish Magic would have to physically somehow hand the pick over to Ainge on draft night. Like the draft pick was in a suitcase labeled "Future" and he had to hand it over to start the Celtics' draft clock.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#1231 » by darylbe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Crossy2008 wrote:
The bottom 11 teams in the standings are just so close to one another. Memphis has decent protections on that pick they owe us over the next couple seasons, so it won't be as exciting to watch where that pick lands until 2021 if it doesn't transfer before then. I think I will miss the extra added element of rooting for teams to lose, but I'm also kind of looking forward to it.

If watching Embiid, KAT, or Anthony Davis doesn't make you want high first rounders by any means necessary, rather than watching Al Horford's old weak ass do whatever the hell he does, I don't know what to tell you. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Crossy2008
Sixth Man

Post#1232 » by Crossy2008 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 pm

darylbe wrote:
Crossy2008 wrote:
The bottom 11 teams in the standings are just so close to one another. Memphis has decent protections on that pick they owe us over the next couple seasons, so it won't be as exciting to watch where that pick lands until 2021 if it doesn't transfer before then. I think I will miss the extra added element of rooting for teams to lose, but I'm also kind of looking forward to it.

If watching Embiid, KAT, or Anthony Davis doesn't make you want high first rounders by any means necessary, rather than watching Al Horford's old weak ass do whatever the hell he does, I don't know what to tell you. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

#1 overall pick = KAT
#1 overall pick = Davis
Would have been #1 overall pick if not for the injuries = Embiid

We ain't getting the #1 overall pick, and there isn't a big in this draft that is a consensus #1 overall pick.

Is Ayton or Bamba as good as those three mentioned above?

I also feel like there should be a link that can be provided to help explain to people how good Horford has been. He's not 24 years old, and he isn't a freak talent like Davis, but he is really really good.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#1233 » by Homerclease » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 pm

darylbe wrote:
Crossy2008 wrote:

Where was Horford drafted, remind me again?
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#1234 » by Homerclease » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Crossy2008 wrote:
darylbe wrote:
Crossy2008 wrote:

#1 overall pick = KAT
#1 overall pick = Davis
Would have been #1 overall pick if not for the injuries = Embiid

We ain't getting the #1 overall pick, and there isn't a big in this draft that is a consensus #1 overall pick.

Is Ayton or Bamba as good as those three mentioned above?

I also feel like there should be a link that can be provided to help explain to people how good Horford has been. He's not 24 years old, and he isn't a freak talent like Davis, but he is really really good.

I think Ayton and Bagley are on an equal level in terms of prospects. Whether they reach those heights remains to be seen
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1235 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Going to Nets-Spurs tonight in Brooklyn while rocking the Marcus Smart shirt. Love the Spurs but rooting for Nets because f*** the Cavs.

No Kawhi though :(
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,395

Post#1236 » by reload141 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:Going to Nets-Spurs tonight in Brooklyn while rocking the Marcus Smart shirt. Love the Spurs but rooting for Nets because f*** the Cavs.

No Kawhi though :(

Sucks because you're going to be there... but I won't lie, happy he's not playing. #GoBrooklyn
Lakerman416
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#1237 » by Lakerman416 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 am

Enjoy the last week of thinking you will get a top 5 pick.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#1238 » by ViperGTS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 am

Lakerman416 wrote:Enjoy the last week of thinking you will get a top 5 pick.

Oh the Cs will be.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1239 » by Edug27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 am

Does the Lakers schedule get easy or something?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#1240 » by darrendaye » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 am

My guess is that one way or another this will be the last week of you interjecting a sour sentiment into this thread.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?

Return to Boston Celtics