ImageImageImage

Paul Pierce "I'm not sure if I want to see IT's video on my night"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Re: Paul Pierce "I'm not sure if I want to see IT's video on my night" 

Post#101 » by illmatic24 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:45 pm

I can see both sides to it. You can do it on Feb 11th and get it over with and let Paul deal with someone else getting cheers for a few minutes. You can say that IT earned at least that much that he can have his family there in town to see him get cheered or whatever it is that he wants. But Paul Pierce is a Celtics legend and if he wants one simple request done, maybe they should heed that. It's his night, anyway, and it only happens once. Why take away from it? For all the time Pierce put in, the night probably won't feel quite as special if people are going crazy for IT multiple times that night. And if the Celtics lose that game, that makes it slightly less special on top of that. A loss isn't a big deal but it's supposed to be a positive night and they already have the IT thing hanging over it.

I'd say just do it next season. The fans aren't going to love IT any less by that point.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#102 » by truth18 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:48 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:It's not about Pierce? On his night? Lol of course it is.

I hope IT gets booed. If I was at that game I'd be booing guy.

I'll boo him if it goes down. Loudly.

I give no **** about what anyone here thinks about that.
YOU LOSE
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#103 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jan 5, 2018 7:27 pm

"Hey Paul! Danny here! Listen, we really appreciate all of your contributions to not only the Celtics, but to the city of Boston. We want to honor you for 15 years of blood, sweat, and tears! We've got highlight packages to play during every stoppage of play, and we've also compiled a list of NBA players talking about your career. KG, Kobe, Lebron, Rondo, Larry, everyone! However, we just have to ask you a favor - is it ok if we play a little 2 minute clip of IT when he's introduced during the starting lineups? He flew his parents, wife and kids in, and he wants to feel loved. We just want to honor him for his 2.5 seasons here. Is that ok with you?"

It friggin sucks that this is how this conversation might go, because it now puts Paul Pierce in a no-win situation. If he says "No, that's my night!", he seems like a complete jerk. If he says yes, he's basically sharing a night with a guy who played 204 games in Boston (including playoff games) with the Celtics. Paul has played in 1238 games (again, including the playoffs).
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#104 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:06 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
Read on Twitter

This just in: :reporter:

Team to run Kelly Olynk game 7 tribute during KG number retirement. Team expects KG to be just fine with it.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#105 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:10 pm

For the record, this is so awkward. I love IT too much, but he is just coming off as a clown.

I don't wanna see anyone boo, but would love for the video to be 30 seconds long and then right into introductions with music. Be humble. Sit down.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#106 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:42 pm

They’re both being petty.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#107 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:44 pm

truth18 wrote:

It would be weird if you did care.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#108 » by Slax » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:16 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
"Hey Paul! Danny here! Listen, we really appreciate all of your contributions to not only the Celtics, but to the city of Boston. We want to honor you for 15 years of blood, sweat, and tears! We've got highlight packages to play during every stoppage of play, and we've also compiled a list of NBA players talking about your career. KG, Kobe, Lebron, Rondo, Larry, everyone! However, we just have to ask you a favor - is it ok if we play a little 2 minute clip of IT when he's introduced during the starting lineups? He flew his parents, wife and kids in, and he wants to feel loved. We just want to honor him for his 2.5 seasons here. Is that ok with you?"

It friggin sucks that this is how this conversation might go, because it now puts Paul Pierce in a no-win situation. If he says "No, that's my night!", he seems like a complete jerk. If he says yes, he's basically sharing a night with a guy who played 204 games in Boston (including playoff games) with the Celtics. Paul has played in 1238 games (again, including the playoffs).

I mean, I agree with you on this, but at the end of the day it is more the Celtics' fault than either IT's or Pierce's. I am kind of doubtful IT even knew the second game was scheduled for Pierce, I am very doubtful he cared that much if he did, and I am almost 100% certain he isn't deliberately trying to step on Pierce's toes here. It just wasn't that relevant to IT, but very relevant to the Celtics. Ainge and co. could have recognized this might be an issue, checked in with Paul Pierce before agreeing to delay the tribute, and then ultimately ignore IT's wishes and honor him with a tribute video in the first game even though he wasn't playing. The organization might have taken some heat, but at the end of the day, IT is a Cavs player and there was no obligation to accede to his demands, so they would have weathered whatever minor criticism came of that. However, they didn't do that, so now there is only one game remaining to give IT a tribute video, and now it's a total lose-lose: it will look terrible to the league if IT doesn't get a tribute video at all this season after playing through an injury and a family death last year, and it will step on the toes of one of the most important players ever to wear a Celtics uniform if they do show the video.

Honestly I don't think this will end up being the biggest deal in the world. A tribute to a returning star player, a game between two conference rivals at the top of the standings, and a retirement ceremony for a Celtics legend are all individually exciting events, so it really sucks that there is some controversy that will end up taking away from what should otherwise be a great night. But I expect Pierce, IT, and the fans will all end the night on enough of a high to not feel like anyone got slighted or mistreated by something that should be really unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#109 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:26 pm

Slax wrote:

I mean, I agree with you on this, but at the end of the day it is more the Celtics' fault than either IT's or Pierce's. I am kind of doubtful IT even knew the second game was scheduled for Pierce, I am very doubtful he cared that much if he did, and I am almost 100% certain he isn't deliberately trying to step on Pierce's toes here. It just wasn't that relevant to IT, but very relevant to the Celtics. Ainge and co. could have recognized this might be an issue, checked in with Paul Pierce before agreeing to delay the tribute, and then ultimately ignore IT's wishes and honor him with a tribute video in the first game even though he wasn't playing. The organization might have taken some heat, but at the end of the day, IT is a Cavs player and there was no obligation to accede to his demands, so they would have weathered whatever minor criticism came of that. However, they didn't do that, so now there is only one game remaining to give IT a tribute video, and now it's a total lose-lose: it will look terrible to the league if IT doesn't get a tribute video at all this season after playing through an injury and a family death last year, and it will step on the toes of one of the most important players ever to wear a Celtics uniform if they do show the video.

Honestly I don't think this will end up being the biggest deal in the world. A tribute to a returning star player, a game between two conference rivals at the top of the standings, and a retirement ceremony for a Celtics legend are all individually exciting events, so it really sucks that there is some controversy that will end up taking away from what should otherwise be a great night. But I expect Pierce, IT, and the fans will all end the night on enough of a high to not feel like anyone got slighted or mistreated by something that should be really unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Isaiah knows that February 11 is the day they're retiring Pierce's number. And if he didn't know back then, he knows what it is right now. By insisting to still have his video played on that day is almost as dumb as Sebastian Telfair offering to pay Cedric Maxwell to let him use #31. IT should realize that it's Paul Pierce's special day, and he should withdraw his request. If he's so big on being a part of the Celtic family, he should realize his place in the pecking order.

Put it this way: Say you were part of a wedding, and your birthday happened to fall on the night of the rehearsal dinner. Imagine you telling the bride and groom "Hey guys, can you not sing me 'Happy Birthday' tonight? I want you to sing it tomorrow night during the wedding reception, when the rest of our family is in town for your wedding? Does that sound good?"
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,337

Post#110 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:48 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
tlee324 wrote:Thomas deserves a bigger and longer video than Pierce!!

:-)

How this turns out as an "L" to people that think he's good at basketball, I'm not sure... Of course we can all agree Thomas is flat out wrong for acting like a "diva" on this and still think he's good at basketball, right?

My God, guys...

None of this is really a big deal. Pierce doesn't even give a crap. It's literally a 30 second video. Honestly since I am going to go to the Pierce retirement ceremony, I am pretty happy to get both celebrations in the same night. Should be fun.

Captain_Caveman wrote:IT is a diva.

So is Kyrie.

But Kyrie is our diva now, I guess. :)

Well, Kyrie didn't bitch or moan about not getting a tribute video his first night back at the Q, despite hitting the shot that gave that sorry city its first title in over 50 years.

No, but he did moan and bitch his way off of a contender.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#111 » by rickrolled » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:24 pm

Anyone here bought tickets for the feb 11 game? How much did you pay and was there an extra fee for the post game ceremony?

What if the Celtics org switched you those tickets for the Clippers game on the 14th and those who bought tickets to that game gets to go to the Cavs game instead? Ceremony instead on the 14th and get Isaiah his teletubbies video then.

I'm going to write the Celtics a little letter, don't know if they'll read it or care, but it's worth a try. I don't even think there should be a debate it's Pierce's night!
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,676

Post#112 » by Celtic Esquire » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:29 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
None of this is really a big deal. Pierce doesn't even give a crap. It's literally a 30 second video. Honestly since I am going to go to the Pierce retirement ceremony, I am pretty happy to get both celebrations in the same night. Should be fun.

So is Kyrie.

But Kyrie is our diva now, I guess. :)

Well, Kyrie didn't bitch or moan about not getting a tribute video his first night back at the Q, despite hitting the shot that gave that sorry city its first title in over 50 years.

No, but he did moan and bitch his way off of a contender.

Actually he didn't. The recent article on ESPN shows that the Cavs offered him up in trade talks BEFORE he made any trade demands.

In mid-June, shortly before Griffin left, team and league sources confirm, the Cavs explored a three-way deal with Phoenix and Indiana that would have shipped Irving and Frye to the Suns and brought Eric Bledsoe and Paul George to Cleveland. The Suns resisted, unwilling to part with their No. 4 pick, which they planned to use to draft Josh Jackson.

No formal offer was made by any of the teams, but news of this potential transaction stung Irving, who, sources close to him say, became convinced that LeBron's camp, which also represents Bledsoe, orchestrated the trade talks.
rickrolled
Head Coach

Post#113 » by rickrolled » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:35 pm

rickrolled wrote:Anyone here bought tickets for the feb 11 game? How much did you pay and was there an extra fee for the post game ceremony?

What if the Celtics org switched you those tickets for the Clippers game on the 14th and those who bought tickets to that game gets to go to the Cavs game instead? Ceremony instead on the 14th and get Isaiah his teletubbies video then.

I'm going to write the Celtics a little letter, don't know if they'll read it or care, but it's worth a try. I don't even think there should be a debate it's Pierce's night!

In case anyone interested, those who bought tickets or not send them your feedback.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/contact/contact-boston-celtics.html
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#114 » by SMTBSI » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm with Pierce. Gave us 15 HOF years, then willingly fell on the sword to accelerate our rebuild. That gets you your own night, period. And it's not self-centered to want your own night. That's what we humans do in situations like this to pay our regards. It's not even a big thing to ask or expect. It's the least we could do.

Nothing but love for IT, but I see absolutely no reason he couldn't have had his tribute on his first night back, aside from wanting to create this situation. This never had to be a thing in the first place. The solution was trivially easy. It took a conscious choice to make it a thing.

(edit: Well, I guess I ought to assume good faith and assume he just wasn't aware of the conflict. Coulda been the Celtics that bungled this. Don't know. Shame either way, given how easily avoidable it was.)
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#115 » by PierceFan4ever » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:48 pm

Paul just said on Sportscenter that the Celtics did talk to him about the Isaiah tribute thing on his night without getting into detail. And said it again that it's a crowning achievement, a once in a lifetime moment for him to have his jersey retired. Said it's only right to have a night to himself to be honored.
rickrolled
Head Coach

Post#116 » by rickrolled » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:56 pm

rickrolled wrote:
rickrolled wrote:Anyone here bought tickets for the feb 11 game? How much did you pay and was there an extra fee for the post game ceremony?

In case anyone interested, those who bought tickets or not send them your feedback.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/contact/contact-boston-celtics.html

There's also a live chat option, but you'll have to wait for an agent to chat with you.

https://c1.websitealive.com/2831/operator/guest/gDefault_v2.asp?cframe=offline&groupid=2831&websiteid=0&departmentid=6050&sessionid_=6720&skin_id=3044&iniframe=&ppc_id=
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#117 » by DK-All Day » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:59 pm

IT is lame as hell. Give him his damn tribute after introductions and lets move on to the real Celtics legend.
Handsome.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#118 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:02 am

PierceFan4ever wrote:Paul just said on Sportscenter that the Celtics did talk to him about the Isaiah tribute thing on his night without getting into detail. And said it again that it's a crowning achievement, a once in a lifetime moment for him to have his jersey retired. Said it's only right to have a night to himself to be honored.

Good. Would not have it any other way.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,337

Post#119 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:09 am

truth18 wrote:

Booing a man who gave it all for this team and fell in love with this city and the fans. Just not right, man.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,027

Post#120 » by exculpatory » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:12 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:Paul just said on Sportscenter that the Celtics did talk to him about the Isaiah tribute thing on his night without getting into detail. And he said again that it's HIS crowning achievement, a once in a lifetime moment for him to have his jersey retired. Said it's only right to have a night to himself to be honored.

Good. Would not have it any other way.

Just listened to Paul on ESPN pre-game for tonight's win.

The emotion in his voice was very VERY real!

Paul Pierce WANTS & DESERVES 2/11/2018 TO BE HIS MOTHER **** NIGHT - with NO **** distractions whatsoever!

Danny & Wyc will be offending him **** IMMENSELY if they allow that **** IT video.

Listen the **** up, Ainge!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.

Return to Boston Celtics