ImageImageImage

Ainge offer for Davis

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Ainge offer for Davis 

Post#121 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jan 9, 2018 8:36 pm

ddb wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
OFWGKTA wrote:
He could be good for that one game in the playoffs where he goes off and turns or seals a series!

Would be fun to have, strictly for trolling purposes. Imagine if the Cs faced the Raps in the playoffs and we rolled Vince's corpse out during garbage time, only to have him seal the game with a flashy dunk, Gerald Green-style. :lol:

I'd rather have Semi get those minutes. He's a special defender. his natural defensive capabilities & instincts remind me of Smarts

For sure. I agree. I want nothing to do with Vince Carter. The Raptors offered h a contract this summer, but instead of playing a smaller role on a playoff team (and reconciling his relationship with the franchjse), he chose to take the money and playing time with the Kings. The guy does not care about winning and went to a place to get paid and pad his stats. I don't want him here.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#122 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 am

Vince turns 41 in a couple of weeks.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Re: RE: Re: Ainge offer for Davis 

Post#123 » by Moose23 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 am

ddb wrote:
Would be fun to have, strictly for trolling purposes. Imagine if the Cs faced the Raps in the playoffs and we rolled Vince's corpse out during garbage time, only to have him seal the game with a flashy dunk, Gerald Green-style.

I'd rather have Semi get those minutes. He's a special defender. his natural defensive capabilities & instincts remind me of Smarts

For sure. I agree. I want nothing to do with Vince Carter. The Raptors offered h a contract this summer, but instead of playing a smaller role on a playoff team (and reconciling his relationship with the franchjse), he chose to take the money and playing time with the Kings. The guy does not care about winning and went to a place to get paid and pad his stats. I don't want him here.
I dont think thats entirely true

My understanding is that ujiri approached demar and lowry about the idea but they said he would be a distraction to them. And that was prior his last contract

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
711takeover
Veteran
And1: 2,135

Post#124 » by 711takeover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 am

Wait are we really still talking about trade offers that AD that would get declined the second the players come out of Ainge's mouth? Furthermore, AD is going nowhere. He's off the table for any trade. Pelicans have no reason to trade a 24 yr old star who has multiple years left on his deal.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#125 » by sully00 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 am

711takeover wrote:Wait are we really still talking about trade offers that AD that would get declined the second the players come out of Ainge's mouth? Furthermore, AD is going nowhere. He's off the table for any trade. Pelicans have no reason to trade a 24 yr old star who has multiple years left on his deal.

There are multiple ways to look at it but there are some simple truths to the situation. Last year at the Trade Deadline Anthony Davis would have commanded the greatest trade return in the history of the sport. NO had the opportunity to trade a 24 year old two way superstar with 4 playoff runs and 3 years remaining on his contract with an extremely motivated buyer who had Jaylen Brown and two more BRK picks in hand. NO instead dealt for Cousins and Ainge turned the two remaining picks into Irving, Tatum, and the LAL/SAC pick. This summer NO could have gotten Brown, Tatum, and that LAL/SAC pick in a package for Davis.

At this point that offer is likely off the table and NO will never see that type of return for Davis now. If they keep him through this deadline then he will be down to 2 playoff runs and they will struggle to get value in a deal that justifies trading him.

At the same time they are a game over .500 and Cousins is in his walk year. They are not an impressive squad defensively but the two seem to be coexisting much better than I expected so it wouldn't be a shocker to see Cousins just take the money and stay in NO at this point if they can at least contend for a playoff spot.

The problem for them is that at that level (or worse) the sword of Damocles is always hanging over your head that Davis goes trade demand and the market comes crashing down and you end up moving him for 50 cents on the dollar. The other possible issue is that they are already operating under the "silent" trade demand that becomes less silent if they don't get something done.
711takeover
Veteran

Post#126 » by 711takeover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 am

sully00 wrote:
711takeover wrote:Wait are we really still talking about trade offers that AD that would get declined the second the players come out of Ainge's mouth? Furthermore, AD is going nowhere. He's off the table for any trade. Pelicans have no reason to trade a 24 yr old star who has multiple years left on his deal.

There are multiple ways to look at it but there are some simple truths to the situation. Last year at the Trade Deadline Anthony Davis would have commanded the greatest trade return in the history of the sport. NO had the opportunity to trade a 24 year old two way superstar with 4 playoff runs and 3 years remaining on his contract with an extremely motivated buyer who had Jaylen Brown and two more BRK picks in hand. NO instead dealt for Cousins and Ainge turned the two remaining picks into Irving, Tatum, and the LAL/SAC pick. This summer NO could have gotten Brown, Tatum, and that LAL/SAC pick in a package for Davis.

At this point that offer is likely off the table and NO will never see that type of return for Davis now. If they keep him through this deadline then he will be down to 2 playoff runs and they will struggle to get value in a deal that justifies trading him.

At the same time they are a game over .500 and Cousins is in his walk year. They are not an impressive squad defensively but the two seem to be coexisting much better than I expected so it wouldn't be a shocker to see Cousins just take the money and stay in NO at this point if they can at least contend for a playoff spot.

The problem for them is that at that level (or worse) the sword of Damocles is always hanging over your head that Davis goes trade demand and the market comes crashing down and you end up moving him for 50 cents on the dollar. The other possible issue is that they are already operating under the "silent" trade demand that becomes less silent if they don't get something done.

Is this a known fact that the Celtics would've given up Brown, Tatum, and Lakers pick for Pelicans and were they actually interested in that deal?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#127 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 am

711takeover wrote:
sully00 wrote:

Is this a known fact that the Celtics would've given up Brown, Tatum, and Lakers pick for Pelicans and were they actually interested in that deal?

Wouldn't that Trade have made sense, at the time?

Tatum, Brown and even the Pick, are All worth more now.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
711takeover
Veteran

Post#128 » by 711takeover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 am

Parliament10 wrote:
711takeover wrote:
sully00 wrote:

I'm asking if the Pelicans actually considered that offer. That package (before the draft) of Brown and both nets picks was rumored for pretty much every available all star lol
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#129 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 am

711takeover wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
711takeover wrote:

I'm asking if the Pelicans actually considered that offer. That package (before the draft) of Brown and both nets picks was rumored for pretty much every available all star lol

Then, you answered your question, right?
I'm sure Every team considers Every Option.

What actually gets revealed, down the line, is another story.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
711takeover
Veteran

Post#130 » by 711takeover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 am

Parliament10 wrote:
711takeover wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Wouldn't that Trade have made sense, at the time?

Then, you answered your question, right?
I'm sure Every team considers Every Option.

What actually gets revealed, down the line, is another story.

Sorry worded my response wrongly. The guy responding me to made it seem as if that offer was revealed and on the table. I'm not sure if it actually was is what I'm pondering
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by sully00 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:36 am

711takeover wrote:
sully00 wrote:

There was enough to it that Davis had a meeting with the NO front office about it. The parameters I laid out were described by Mike Gorman and what he understood to be what Ainge was willing to put on the table for Davis this summer.

At that time Brown was a 7ppg player and Tatum was a 0ppg player. Now they are both putting up 14/5 as starters on the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. That only makes finding a deal harder now because NO can no longer get the offer they could have gotten this off season.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by sully00 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 am

711takeover wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
711takeover wrote:

See that doesn't seem to be true at all (not the rumored part) but what Ainge was actually willing to do. So the year before he could have had Jimmy Butler for #3 but would not include the pick in the trade, that is where he was rumored to have offered IT for another top 8 pick to get Brown. It sounds like Ainge offered a package of picks for George at the deadline that included what became the #1 pick (but not Brown or the '18 BRK pick) but Bird wanted some sort insurance against the pick not being a #1 and Ainge was not willing to get into the George situation without an extension. I think Ainge's interest in either Butler or George was greatly diminished in the off season because he was pretty confident he had Hayward and his pursuit was focused on Irving when he came into play. In the end I think Ainge has been managing this to hold the Godfather offer for Davis and he may have to cash in all the chips before Davis becomes available.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#133 » by FutureIsGreen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 am

I really hope all these deals just stop being considered. We have no reason to gun for him at all. Davis will come as a UFA just like Hayward and Horford. This team can win already, and for the first time in a long time, I like everyone. It's diverse and working well. Actually will miss people when they go now.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#134 » by Edug27 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Next year....

AD

For

- Jaylen Brown
- Whoever we take with the Lakers pick
- Marcus Morris (expiring)
- Terry Rozier (expiring) or Yabu (expiring due to Team Option)
- Future pick.

Trade works. Boom. Done.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#135 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Based on Ainge's last four major trades, I'm quite confident about his patience and ability to strike when the timing is right. Of course there are factors that are out of his control, but if Davis is a target (and I believe he is), then he'll be ready to pounce when the opportunity presents itself.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,366

Post#136 » by K For Three » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am

I feel like AD gets hurt a lot.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#137 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:I feel like AD gets hurt a lot.

I feel the same way. He is KG-esque but KG's durability was legendary for the most part. I think he's top 10 or top 5 all-time in minutes played.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#138 » by TheMartian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 am

45/16.

This is why Ainge needs to go all-in on AD.
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#139 » by CelticsWin5 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 am

mzepol wrote:45/16.

This is why Ainge needs to go all-in on AD.

Doesn't horford always let this happen?
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,366

Post#140 » by K For Three » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 am

Doubt it happens. Why would they do that? They are a playoff team right now too.

And Anthony Davis sure is scary. Wowza......

Return to Boston Celtics