ImageImageImage

Has Rozier finally broken out or is it fools gold?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Has Rozier finally broken out or is it fools gold? 

Post#1 » by Scarletfire81 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:56 pm

We all know Rozier has had his share of ups and downs but he has begun to play more consistent. Has he finally broken out or do you think this merely one of his streaks? All I know is when he plays well our team is extremely hard to beat.
Trippinskarlo
Rookie
And1: 1,326

Re: Has Rozier finally broken out or is it fools gold? 

Post#2 » by Trippinskarlo » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm buying it. He's shooting 38% from three and plays great in transition. His D looks really solid this year as well. We have to remember Terry was a very raw prospect, athletic, long arms, but not great skills, almost like Jaylen. I think Terry has a few more developmental years left, where as I think Smart just is what he is.

I project Terry to be a six_man type 3 and D guy that brings energy. Maybe something like 14 ppg and 40% from 3. I really love Terry though so I'm sure I'm higher than most.
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#3 » by liveod » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:39 pm

He's only getting better. I always expected this type of production from him if he just had the confidence. He moves really well, jumps high, is strong, fast, can finish around the rim, has a beautiful stroke and is really good at playing the passing lanes.
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#4 » by OldCeltics » Fri Jan 5, 2018 5:42 pm

Looks like both hot streak and improvement

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#5 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:56 am

I wouldn't say "broken out", but he's looking looser and more comfortable. Look at Avery Bradley as an example for how minutes, smart work, and gradually increasing responsibility can develop a player.

The FO said, on drafting him, that he was the only pick left on the board who had a chance to be a star. The raw athleticism has always been there, but I was a skeptic until his summer league performance a year later, showing he'd legitimately improved his shot and his poise on the court. I'm still not sure he can be a star - but his floor is, like, a turbo-charged Bobby Jackson. He's always been able to get to the rim and finish better than Smart, and his shot is getting smooth, so after that, it's a matter of general fluidity, types of situations he can handle, reliability - he could easily get into that 16-18 point per game range with more touches.

Smart is improving, too, don't miss that. He's mixing some hot games in with his cold ones, and he's showing much more relaxed touch inside the three-point line - he's 4-8 tonight, 0-3 from beyond the arc so far. 6-14 nights against Cleveland and Houston. He's still mixing in the bricks and the ice cold nights, but some of his makes are noticeably smoother. He locks in that shot, even to the point of .400, .410 shooting, with a variety of ways to score inside the arc - he doesn't have the handles or explosion to score off the dribble, but he's getting savvier about hesitations, post-ups, using his strength to seal guys - it makes his all-world defense that much better.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#6 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:05 am

What do you know, Smart takes his defender off the dribble, gets into the paint for a floater and gets the bounce, then draws an offensive foul.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#7 » by ballup » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:04 am

He is getting more consistent as the season progresses. His numbers in December look much more normal of a rotational NBA player and so do his home game stats. He looks more composed on the floor
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#8 » by Big Joke Line » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:31 am

The scoring and d were always there. Can he make a play for others?
Hey Man, nice shot!
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#9 » by GoGreen » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:39 am

The best thing I'm seeing out of rozy is he's not running around like a headless chicken w the ball as much. Doesn't look lost, which is a great sign
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#10 » by SMTBSI » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:40 am

Neither. Probably not going to be a single 'break out' moment for him. More like a long, slow, continuous build.

Felt from his first preaseson that he had three tools that weren't far off from NBA ready: rebounding, defense, and a 3pt stroke that passed the eye test, even if the results weren't always there right away. On top of that, he obviously had get-anywhere-he-wants-on-the-court athleticism, but seemed to lack the creativity and finishing ability to do very much with it. Finally, despite the game looking way too fast for him at times, he seemed to me to have the right mix of attitude/confidence and work ethic. I'll usually be happy to bet on guys like that to some extent.

So, the question for me was: assuming he develops those three tools well enough, can he add anything else to them? Can he develop some semblance of point guard skills? Can he figure out how to create for himself and finish?

At the moment, it's looking like he's going down the SG path more than the PG path, but that's okay. Have to assume Kyrie's had some part in his improving creativity/finishing, so perhaps they'll get around to working on his passing vision next. Rome wasn't built in a day. (But, even if that part of the game never comes, there's definitely still a place for him on this team.)

Not gonna venture any comment about roster and contract decision in the near future. Just happy to see him playing well. He probably won't ever come near the crazy prediction I made for him before the start of last year, but, in my mind, he's already approaching or even exceeding the average expected contribution of a 16th pick, which is all you can ask for.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#11 » by Kalela » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:41 am

Fools gold. I believe he had periods like this before. Maybe he needed a rest like the rest of the team?
Fire Mazzulla
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,378

Post#12 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:51 am

Kalela wrote:Fools gold. I believe he had periods like this before. Maybe he needed a rest like the rest of the team?

Nah, this is easily the best stretch of his career. Nothing even close to this to be honest. He's made a positive impact in six straight games. I don't know what it ultimately means but it must feel great for him. You can just tell he puts a ton of work in
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#13 » by Kalela » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:04 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:
Kalela wrote:Fools gold. I believe he had periods like this before. Maybe he needed a rest like the rest of the team?

Nah, this is easily the best stretch of his career. Nothing even close to this to be honest. He's made a positive impact in six straight games. I don't know what it ultimately means but it must feel great for him. You can just tell he puts a ton of work in

My memory is not the best but I thought he had periods/stretches like this before when given minutes. Thanks for the correction. Rozier is really benefiting from having Kyrie around. I remember one game where Rozier got blocked twice while driving to the basket and Kyrie had a word with him right away and showed how to avoid getting blocked. In the next game Rozier was driving to the basket exactly as he was advised. I see him getting better and better as he implements aspects of other players games into his.
Fire Mazzulla
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#14 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:08 am

The thing about high-upside young guys is that they don't get overall better, they just have longer stretches of being good vs bad. We're seeing this with TRo now. He's going to have bad stretches too, but they will just be less frequent. If he can get rid of them altogether and play like he has the last 5-6 games, then he's a potential star.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#15 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:27 am

Three things he's great at for his position: Rebounding, pushing the pace, and taking care of the ball.

And he's confident as **** right now. One reason his shot is falling. The swag is oozing. Keep it up.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#16 » by BfB » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:12 am

Terry hasn’t played a ton of NBA ball. He’s only going to benefit from the fact that Kyrie has taken him under his wing too. The finishing has been off of smarter driving reads, which is huge for him.

Another year under control, I’m all in for another season of improvement to gauge his value and determine who gets traded

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#17 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:39 am

I’m not buying it, nor discrediting it. Rozier has been playing at another level over the last 7-8 games. But I’d like to see him continue to play at a level like this for about another 10 games or so before I’m ready to say he has improved his game.

I was a big fan of Rozier’s coming out of Louisville and was one of the few people happy on draft night that Ainge picked him. But I’ve cooled off on Rozier over the past few years. I’m happy he is playing to his capabilities over the last few weeks.

Happy for Smart too. These two guys are big for this team when they play well offensively. We all know what they can do on the defensive end, rebounding, and intangibles.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#18 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:42 am

BfB wrote:Terry hasn’t played a ton of NBA ball. He’s only going to benefit from the fact that Kyrie has taken him under his wing too. The finishing has been off of smarter driving reads, which is huge for him.

Another year under control, I’m all in for another season of improvement to gauge his value and determine who gets traded

I’ve noticed that too recently on the impact Kyrie has had on Rozier and Smart when it comes to finishing around the basket. Both Rozier and Smart are scoring around the basket in ways they hadn’t prior to this year. Kryie is so crafty around the basket with shooting off the wrong foot and scoring with either hand.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#19 » by BfB » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:34 am

return2glory wrote:
BfB wrote:Terry hasn’t played a ton of NBA ball. He’s only going to benefit from the fact that Kyrie has taken him under his wing too. The finishing has been off of smarter driving reads, which is huge for him.

I’ve noticed that too recently on the impact Kyrie has had on Rozier and Smart when it comes to finishing around the basket. Both Rozier and Smart are scoring around the basket in ways they hadn’t prior to this year. Kryie is so crafty around the basket with shooting off the wrong foot and scoring with either hand.

Exactly - These are the subtle things in development that often go unnoticed. Everyone pays lip service to “veteran mentors” but rarely understand the context in which it matters most - on winning teams with young players who are earning PT...AND the veteran mentor who takes an interest in their improvement as well.

Any old set of youth/vets don’t hit the mark and you see failed iterations throughout the league. Boston’s youth all benefit from being integrated into a winning rotation around 2(3) core focal points, one at each position.

This isn’t to say that this has a magical effect on growth - talent is static - but knowing what to apply it to, how to maximize it - that’s where a player like Kyrie can have a dramatic effect on guards, for things like finishing or setting up defenders for drives - things he excels at due to how he practices/prepares.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#20 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 5:52 am

Well his season numbers are just about up to 40% fg and 38% from 3. Finally just eeking out a bad shooter's numbers (unless he was exclusively shooting 3s but he isn't)

Rebounding has always been decent.

I haven't seen him make a break through on offense but maybe he's just developing a shot that was always there. When I see him start making plays for others, or delivering his pass on time and actually on the mark I'd say he's broken out. For now he still seems to be playing a little hectic Crazy Rozy.

What's he's proven now though is those recent past comparisons of a future Patrick Beverly player are legit a possibility for him. He can become that type of player.

Everything with Rozier becomes better when he's not running the show. Low key he may be the single player who was most impacted by Hayward's absence. He's got at 60% TS on catch and shoot and has been on a tear recently so probably even better.

Rozier really is a 6'2" 190 pound version of Jaylen Brown. Rozier just dribbles it better but with no more purpose in his dribble. Rozier also shoots FTs.

Return to Boston Celtics