ImageImageImage

Jayson Tatum: 2nd Coming of the Truth

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Re: Jayson Tatum: 2nd Coming of the Truth 

Post#21 » by Homerclease » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Setshot33 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Not sure if he has it between the ears to be another truth. Much too passive

He's 19.

Still has alot of learning/growing to do.

I’m aware of that. Hence why I typed not sure. As of right now he’s far too passive to make any type of comparison to Pierce
TheTruth316
Senior
And1: 273

Post#22 » by TheTruth316 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Nowhere near any comparison.. P.p was very aggressive, maybe 2 much at times.. Jt has more talent, haven't seen that take over the game and want the last shot yet.. Maybe because kyrie is here.. P.p was the man.. Oh he could have passed to Aw.. lol..
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,141

Post#23 » by UNCBlue012 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

His length and ability to create shots is going to likely make him a really quality asset for years.
Setshot33
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,547

Post#24 » by Setshot33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Setshot33 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Not sure if he has it between the ears to be another truth. Much too passive

He's 19.

I’m aware of that. Hence why I typed not sure. As of right now he’s far too passive to make any type of comparison to Pierce

I don't look at it as passive.

He's on a team with vets like Kyrie and Horford and alot of times, the kid defers to them on the court.

And sometimes, you see Kyrie,Horford or Morris, pull him to the side and coach him about what just happened.

It's fun watching this kid develop. Sit back and enjoy......
" But the best thing to do is just win"- Red Auerbach
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#25 » by Homerclease » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Setshot33 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Setshot33 wrote:He's 19.

He's on a team with vets like Kyrie and Horford and alot of times, the kid defers to them on the court.

And sometimes, you see Kyrie,Horford or Morris, pull him to the side and coach him about what just happened.

The kid gets set up with wide open shots and pump fakes and dribbles into more difficult shots or passes it up altogether.

You can enjoy his development and still point out what he needs to work on. The two aren’t mutually exclusive
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#26 » by radcot » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

I expect stardom from Jaylen, and, yes, a few aspects of his game are similar to Truth's, but overall I don't really see much resemblance. Sort of reminds me of the facile KO/Dirk comparisons (although the talent gap between those two is much greater of course).
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#27 » by Moose23 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm

This is a raptors-esque thread.

Jayson is Jayson. Lets leave it at that.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#28 » by return2glory » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

My excitement for Tatum is evaporating over the last few months. My expectations for him are diminishing.

The telling story for me is how he plays next year and if and how much improvement he shows. There is a lot of work ahead for him and I feel he will put in the time to improve his game and get bigger and stronger.
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,372

Post#29 » by titlebound1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't view Tatum as passive. I see him as a smart young guy who knows he's in a great situation with multiple all stars and one of the best coaches in the world. He seems to be soaking it all in and playing within himself
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#30 » by chakdaddy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm

First few months we're too good to be true. He's 19 and hit the rookie wall, that's a big reason he slumped. He'll be fine. Worst case scenario it makes us feel better including him in an AD trade.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#31 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 pm

return2glory wrote:My excitement for Tatum is evaporating over the last few months. My expectations for him are diminishing.

The telling story for me is how he plays next year and if and how much improvement he shows. There is a lot of work ahead for him and I feel he will put in the time to improve his game and get bigger and stronger.

Yeah you can never be sure how a player will develop.

He's not a sure-fire stud like Ben Simmons.

But Tatum has shown great shooting, good defense, a crossover move that looks effective for the most part, he seems to be effective with his layups for the most part.

Basically for him it comes down to him putting on more weight, and his ballhandling/passing development. If he can get stronger and start being a primary playmaker on offense with his ballhandling and passing then he should be really good. A #1 option honestly not too unlike Gordon Hayward now that I think of it for a career development path.

So unfortunately he doesn't have it all from day 1 but he's shown enough in his bag to suggest it's realistic to think he has a chance to develop his ballhandling to get there. With the passing... well that's hard to say until he's in a position with the ball to be required to make the pass.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#32 » by colaroaster » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm

tatum doesn't have a thick derriere to take on contact like pierce. sorry but the comparison's not even close, you may want to watch pierces rookie campaign as he was a tenacious defender.. that's how he earned his minutes. imo tatum has similar game to nicolas batum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#33 » by cloverleaf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:30 pm

colaroaster wrote:tatum doesn't have a thick derriere to take on contact like pierce. sorry but the comparison's not even close, you may want to watch pierces rookie campaign as he was a tenacious defender.. that's how he earned his minutes. imo tatum has similar game to nicolas batum

Paul Pierce shot .412 from 3 and had a higher offensive than defensive win share (2.9 vs. 2.0) in his rookie campaign.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#34 » by cloverleaf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 pm

return2glory wrote:My excitement for Tatum is evaporating over the last few months. My expectations for him are diminishing.

He's done so much so far and has such a good private trainer that I'm pretty optimistic about that. The issue will be getting him to be offensively more assertive next season, when he's part of that stacked starting lineup, along with KI, GH, AH and AD!
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#35 » by flintsky21 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:47 am

If passivity is the biggest complaint about a 19-year-old rookie's game, then I'd say the Celtics made a very good pick.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#36 » by exculpatory » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:52 pm

Jayson will be the first Jayson.
There will never be another Truth.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#37 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:19 pm

Setshot33 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Setshot33 wrote:He's 19.

Funny how people never sit back and enjoy when it comes to Jaylen though. I don’t get it.

I’m a bit worried by Tatum lately I must admit. A 20 point night would help ease my concerns.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,435

Post#38 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:23 pm

I am too. He'll get bigger but he seems to be having a hard time finishing layups, and his jumpers havent been falling either
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#39 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:31 pm

If anyone is concerned about Tatum and his recent play, I invite you to look at the rookie splits for KD. High variance should be expected.

This is normal for a 19 year old adjusting to the NBA. People overreacted too much at the beginning (with the “wouldnt trade him for AD” talk) and now are overreacting too much the other way. Just give him time to adjust his body amd work on his game this summer.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#40 » by DarkAzcura » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:44 pm

Tough room in this thread, lol.

If Tatum was thrown onto a crappy team like most lottery picks he would be averaging 15-17 PPG right now. He's on a real team with a defined role. It will be expanded next year and even more in year 3.

It's ridiculously impressive for him to be contributing the way he is on a team on pace for 55-60 wins and not even be 20 years old yet.

Return to Boston Celtics