ImageImageImage

Ray Allen's book consists of him throwing shade at Rondo

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Ray Allen's book consists of him throwing shade at Rondo 

Post#1 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Well, some interesting tidbits from Ray Allen's book that's coming out:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/news/ray-allen-celtics-news-rumors-book-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-rajon-rondo-relationship-heat-trade/11k4kkn9og22c1jiitlkmown4h

- he and KG clashed over petty stuff. During their trip in Rome, Ray was dribbling the ball in the locker room before the game. KG got mad at him and told him to stop
-KG and Ray went out for dinner. KG offered to pay the bill because he said he was a better tipper. Ray's panties got into a bunch because he thought "How would he know how good of a tipper I was?", and just assumed KG was trying to exert his dominance (Holy geez, Ray. When someone offers to pay the bill, just say "Thanks!".
- Rondo seems like he was a bigger problem than what the Celtics front office revealed. Rondo told the team during a meeting in 2009 that he had carried them to the title in 2008, and everyone just looked at him and said "WTF?"
- Ray alleges that Rondo started freezing him out (FWIW, I didn't see this. Rondo was a stat-padder for assists, so I can't see him turning down easy dimes if Ray was open)
- Rondo ended any chance of Ray coming back in 2012 by saying he was going to get him off the team. Ray allegedly tried to bury the hatchet during the playoffs, and Rondo told him "I got 11 games left to play with you and that's it"
- Doc Rivers allegedly called off the trade for Chris Paul in 2011 because he didn't want to burden his protege, Monty Williams, with having to deal with Rondo (That's too bad, because we probably beat Miami and go to the Finals with KG/Pierce/CP3/Ray......heck, I think we probably beat OKC too).
- Ray left when the Cs signed Jason Terry first (knowing what I know now about JET, this was a terrible move. It wasn't likely that Ray was coming back, but JET was terrible in Boston).

Might make for an interesting read. I don't know if we'll ever know the real story behind it all, but I'm going to assume that Ray's invitation to the reunion this summer is going to get rescinded by Rondo. :lol:

Also, we all saw the Magic/Isiah, Larry/Kevin, Kobe/Shaq interviews. Can TNT please arrange one for Ray/Rondo/KG/Pierce? Or at the very least, have Ray show up on Area 21 and just hash this out? I would really like my memories of that glorious 2008 season to not have an asterisk beside it that tells me "Ray Allen is a chump".
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Ray Allen's book consists of him throwing shade at Rondo 

Post#2 » by truth18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Rondo stans vs. Allen stans the thread? Let me grab my popcorn...
YOU LOSE
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#3 » by Dogen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

OK guys, on 1...2...3..."Ubuntu!!!"

*crickets*

umm... guys?
Hey you! Can we come together?
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,929

Post#4 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:02 pm

truth18 wrote:Rondo stans vs. Allen stans the thread? Let me grab my popcorn...

The biggest takeaway from this piece is that Doc Rivers is a terrible GM. He didn’t trade for CP3 because he didn’t want his pal to handle a difficult player.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#5 » by BigTrade92 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:02 pm

So Doc sabotaged us from getting Chris Paul....

That’s great to know. :banghead:
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#6 » by truth18 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:04 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:

The biggest takeaway from this piece is that Doc Rivers is a terrible GM. He didn’t trade for CP3 because he didn’t want his pal to handle a difficult player.

I read this but I personally find it hard to believe. Mike and Danny respected Doc but I don't think he had the power to call shots like that.
YOU LOSE
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,264

Post#7 » by Tyakack » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I love rondo, but he was a bigger part of the team in the years we didn't win it all compared to the one year we did. To his credit, I think he extended our window once our guys got a bit older. Calling off the CP3 trade probably cost us at least one more finals trip though.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#8 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

truth18 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:

I read this but I personally find it hard to believe. Mike and Danny respected Doc but I don't think he had the power to call shots like that.

Yeah that is hard to believe. Ainge has never had a conscience when it comes to trading players. Plus from what I remember Paul wanted no part of coming to Boston.
*Insert witty signature here.*
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#9 » by celtics543 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
truth18 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:

Yeah that is hard to believe. Ainge has never had a conscience when it comes to trading players. Plus from what I remember Paul wanted no part of coming to Boston.

Ya, everything that came out during that time said Paul had no desire to come to Boston and that Rondo wasn't enough to get him anyway.

For all the people that talk about how classy Ray Allen is, he's basically the most classless guy in sports. Who writes a book just to throw former teammates under the bus?
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#10 » by mwhis21 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:19 pm

My biggest take away from the summary is that everyone else is to blame but Ray Allen for anything...which usually means, that the one pointing the finger has more blame to share than they let on.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#11 » by 2Mas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm

truth18 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:

None of you better believe this. He's not gonna trade a guy he hated for the "Point God" because he likes Monty Williams? Lol. Please read that sentence again.

Tyakack wrote:I love rondo, but he was a bigger part of the team in the years we didn't win it all compared to the one year we did. To his credit, I think he extended our window once our guys got a bit older. Calling off the CP3 trade probably cost us at least one more finals trip though.

& Yeah. Rondo was like 7th most important person that year. But 2010 onward he helped extend that run yeah for sure.

Ray's so corny. So he complains that the locker room is HS with its groups & gossips & then puts out a book about NBA gossip. Sound bout right.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#12 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:23 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:- Rondo seems like he was a bigger problem than what the Celtics front office revealed. Rondo told the team during a meeting in 2009 that he had carried them to the title in 2008, and everyone just looked at him and said "WTF?"

According to the article, this happened in '10-11...and I mean, he had kinda carried everyone to the title in that he was our starting PG...like Derek Fisher carried the Lakers to several titles I guess? I need context from others before I side eye Rondo here.

- Doc Rivers allegedly called off the trade for Chris Paul in 2011 because he didn't want to burden his protege, Monty Williams, with having to deal with Rondo (That's too bad, because we probably beat Miami and go to the Finals with KG/Pierce/CP3/Ray......heck, I think we probably beat OKC too).

So...there were plans to send Rondo to NO, and somehow CP3 was going to end up here? Doc shut it down b/c he thought Rondo was a major burden yet didn't implore Danny to trade Rondo elsewhere?
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,918

Post#13 » by ILC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Ray is embarrassing himself by the day. He left on his own, ripped DA, Doc & RR on the way out & now he wants them to like him. I'm sure RR was such a cancer & PP, KG, Doc & all his former teammates are super tight w/him out of mercy & Ray is on the outside for no reason.

Also, Doc didn't want to burden Monty with Rondo, but then didn't ship him out anywhere else? Not even that, he decided to suck up to Rondo even more by giving him the team? Gtfo pathetic losing liar.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#14 » by bballcool34 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Paints Rondo as a pretty immature guy. I'm inclined to believe what Ray said is true--no real reason for him to lie years later, particularly on some of these anecdotes that have multiple witnesses likely.

That being said, Ray doesn't strike me as the easiest guy to get along with either. He and Rondo both seem like sensitive guys. His anecdote was KG seems like he read the situation wrong--KG was probably offering to grab dinner and making a joke, and Ray took it as an insult.
Damn
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#15 » by 3D Chess » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm

You talkin **** Ray

The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,635

Post#16 » by The Corey's » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:45 pm

It's not news to anyone who follows the team that rondo was an **** or thst kg and ray clashed in rome

**** I remember Dickerson reporting that on a sports tonight ep way back in the day.

Ray is soft but also he was the only one consitensantly on the trading block. I am not sure I buy his CP3 story. Like Danny gives AF what docs friend has to put up with in rondo if he had a legit opportunity to swap him with Paul. He would have.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#17 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:

That's if you assume that claim is true, which is almost certainly isn't.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#18 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm

IlCapitano wrote:Ray is embarrassing himself by the day. He left on his own, ripped DA, Doc & RR on the way out & now he wants them to like him. I'm sure RR was such a cancer & PP, KG, Doc & all his former teammates are super tight w/him out of mercy & Ray is on the outside for no reason.

Also, Doc didn't want to burden Monty with Rondo, but then didn't ship him out anywhere else? Not even that, he decided to suck up to Rondo even more by giving him the team? Gtfo pathetic losing liar.

100%.

LOL @ the thought of Danny and the rest of the Celts brass letting Doc kill a Rondo for CP3 trade for ANY reason, never mind that one.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#19 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 pm

The only way I could see Doc killing the CP3 trade is if he called Monty Williams on his own and told him that Rondo was a handful in the locker room. Williams then relays this information over to Dell Demps, who then backs out of trade discussions. If I recall correctly, we were offering quite the haul for CP3 that year, offering up Rondo, Jeff Green and 2 1st round picks for him. That's a lot to give up for a guy who wasn't making any guarantees that he would stick around in Boston afterwards, but it sounded like Danny was going to do it anyways.

We all know Doc did go behind our backs and tell the Clippers not to trade us Deandre Jordan and a pick for KG, so I would not doubt him being more loyal to one of his buddies over the Celtics organization.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#20 » by ballup » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I dont think Ray is coming to the reunion

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics