ImageImageImage

A message from Jayson Tatum to the pretenders: Simmons, Kuzma, Mitchell and Ball. They are not good players.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Re: A message from Jayson Tatum to the pretenders: Simmons, Kuzma, Mitchell and Ball. They are not good players. 

Post#41 » by theman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:
A rookie who can play is shown by a rookie who doesn't pass the ball to the other team, as they have poise, and poise counts.

Turnovers per 36 minutes:

Jayson Tatum 1.6

Kyle Kuzma 2.0

Lonzo Ball 2.8

Donovan Mitchell 3.0

Ben Simmons 3.6

This is a little bit of a B.S. statistic. Tatum is nearly as likely to pass the ball to the other team as he is a teammate as he has an assist to turnover ratio of 1.13.

Assist to Turnover ratio:

Ball 2.67
Simmons 2.27
Mitchell 1.33
Tatum 1.13
Kuzma 1.07

Don't get me wrong, Tatum is the best player in his draft class but turnovers per 36 is a weak statistic.

Preventing the other team from getting the ball is also a big deal so we can look at rebounds per 36

Simmons 8.2
Ball 7.3
Kuzma 7.3
Tatum 6.0
Mitchell 4.0

Taking the ball away from the other team is important so steals per 36
Simmons 1.8
Ball 1.8
Mitchell 1.6
Tatum 1.0
Kuzma 0.7

And blocks per 36
Tatum 0.9
Simmons 0.9
Ball 0.9
Kuzma 0.5
Mitchell 0.4

But the most important stat is how much can you help my fantasy team. So Fantasy Points per game:
Simmons 41.5
Ball 34.3
Mitchell 32.6
Kuzma 27.3
Tatum 25.6
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Re: A message from Jayson Tatum to the pretenders: Simmons, Kuzma, Mitchell and Ball. They are not good players. 

Post#42 » by theman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

cloverleaf wrote:I am thrilled to have Tatum instead of any of those others.

But to be fair, defensive ratings are tied to teammates, and the C's are the best defensive team in the league, whereas the other guys play on bad to average teams.

It seems to me that for defensive and offensive rating is should be in comparison to your team. Perhaps ratio of players deftrg : team deftrg

Tatum 107.3 / 105.2 = 1.02 offrtg and 100.2 / 101.2 = .99 (actually looking at this now I think player - team makes more sense)

Tatum 107.3 - 105.2 = 2.1 offrtg and 100.2 - 101.2 = -1 Actually I don't like that either.

Let me think about this.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#43 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 pm

theman wrote:
A rookie who can play is shown by a rookie who doesn't pass the ball to the other team, as they have poise, and poise counts.

Jayson Tatum 1.6

Kyle Kuzma 2.0

Lonzo Ball 2.8

Donovan Mitchell 3.0

Ben Simmons 3.6

This is a little bit of a B.S. statistic. Tatum is nearly as likely to pass the ball to the other team as he is a teammate as he has an assist to turnover ratio of 1.13.

Ball 2.67
Simmons 2.27
Mitchell 1.33
Tatum 1.13
Kuzma 1.07

Don't get me wrong, Tatum is the best player in his draft class but turnovers per 36 is a weak statistic.

Preventing the other team from getting the ball is also a big deal so we can look at rebounds per 36

Simmons 8.2
Ball 7.3
Kuzma 7.3
Tatum 6.0
Mitchell 4.0

Simmons 1.8
Ball 1.8
Mitchell 1.6
Tatum 1.0
Kuzma 0.7

And blocks per 36
Tatum 0.9
Simmons 0.9
Ball 0.9
Kuzma 0.5
Mitchell 0.4

But the most important stat is how much can you help my fantasy team. So Fantasy Points per game:
Simmons 41.5
Ball 34.3
Mitchell 32.6
Kuzma 27.3
Tatum 25.6

You may as well have pointed out that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor
kmac
Freshman
And1: 168

Post#44 » by kmac » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
theman wrote:

Jayson Tatum 1.6

Kyle Kuzma 2.0

Lonzo Ball 2.8

Donovan Mitchell 3.0

Ben Simmons 3.6

Ball 2.67
Simmons 2.27
Mitchell 1.33
Tatum 1.13
Kuzma 1.07

Simmons 8.2
Ball 7.3
Kuzma 7.3
Tatum 6.0
Mitchell 4.0

Simmons 1.8
Ball 1.8
Mitchell 1.6
Tatum 1.0
Kuzma 0.7

And blocks per 36
Tatum 0.9
Simmons 0.9
Ball 0.9
Kuzma 0.5
Mitchell 0.4

Simmons 41.5
Ball 34.3
Mitchell 32.6
Kuzma 27.3
Tatum 25.6

You may as well have pointed out that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#45 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:I strongly agree the Mitchel hype is out of control. Last night the Jazz lost to the Hawks, Mitchell went 9-28 from the floor, 1-10 from three. He took 28 shots to get 24 points, it's a common occurance as Utah has no offensive weapons and wins on defense. Mitchell's clutch stats aren't very good either witch tells you Gobert's return has more to do with their good play. I'm not sure where Mitchell's usage ranks in the league but I know its ten points higher than Tatum.

He's the leading scorer on a playoff team at 21. It's very impressive. He might not be the best rookie of his draft class when they are all retired but he is easily first team all rookie.

Oh he was def a steal in the draft and a good player, there are just people saying he's a future superstar and the ROY, I just think he gets a little overated. I'd take Simmons over him in a heartbeat, Tatum and Jackson also, maybe even Markannen also. I think Mitchell gets too much credit for Utah being a playoff team also, Gobert is the main reason and Mitchell's clutch stats point to that.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#46 » by K For Three » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:59 am

Stevens agrees with the premise of this thread.

Read on Twitter
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#49 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 am

So, I dug out my old log in just to say this thread had me laughing. Can't just keep lurking when I'm literally chuckling out loud. Props.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#50 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:11 am

Tatum is a solid player. And while analytics are good. In reality? The last time we actually played the game?? Tatum couldn't hit the Pacific Ocean with a baseball while standing on the beach. While Kuzma laid down suppressive fire, carpet bombed the city, and Rained 3s on all players on the court that night. That's what actually happened in reality, the last time we played. Rewatch Tatum's tape, not as good as you described. Just sayin...
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#51 » by darrendaye » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Tatum is a solid player. And while analytics are good. In reality? The last time we actually played the game?? Tatum couldn't hit the Pacific Ocean with a baseball while standing on the beach. While Kuzma laid down suppressive fire, carpet bombed the city, and Rained 3s on all players on the court that night. That's what actually happened in reality, the last time we played. Rewatch Tatum's tape, not as good as you described. Just sayin...

LOL, you've got a well deserved reputation. No knock on Kuzma though, he's been a find for you guys.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,935

Post#52 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:32 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Tatum is a solid player. And while analytics are good. In reality? The last time we actually played the game?? Tatum couldn't hit the Pacific Ocean with a baseball while standing on the beach. While Kuzma laid down suppressive fire, carpet bombed the city, and Rained 3s on all players on the court that night. That's what actually happened in reality, the last time we played. Rewatch Tatum's tape, not as good as you described. Just sayin...

Thank you, great insight.
springcadre
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#53 » by springcadre » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 am

Simmons will be a solid player for a very long time, Ball shouldn't have been a lottery selection.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#54 » by K For Three » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:47 am

Isn't Kuzma the aging rookie?

I am still not sold on Ball btw and I don't care what anyone tells me or shows me. That Ball family and Lonzo just give me the creeps.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#55 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:22 am

Hey, you're in good company. Doc Rivers used the same approach to GMing. If it happened in a game you watched, it must be more real than stuff that happens in other games.
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,365

Post#56 » by Gurton Buster » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:56 am

Lmaoo this how you know Tatum gonna be real good
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#57 » by 31to6 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

100% true.
19-year-old Tatum has just had a kid, and was in about a month-long slump around that and a dislocated finger.

Most of us decided to forgive him.

It does stun and disappoint me though how good Kuzma is — kiddos on that pick! (Which ironically came from us..)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#58 » by akhan786 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:

Thank you, great insight.

People really don't watch players unless they play against their own team do they? And it's amazing how confident they are in their opinions too despite knowing they don't watch Tatum play. Ask any GM or player in the league and they'll tell you that you have to draft Tatum over Kuzma, but don't let that get in the way of you living in your own little bubble. Why ruin your enjoyment of Kuzma though by comparing him to a Top 3 talent? Kuzma is a baller on his own.

Btw (from a person who watches players besides my own team), Ingram is a stud. Stop trying to make him a KD-like scorer and he'll be dominant as a jack of all trades + defensive weapon averaging 20/7/7. If he reaches his defensive ceiling (and continues his progress in weight), I could see him becoming a Top 15 player.

Return to Boston Celtics