ImageImageImage

Can Brad Stevens make the necessary adjustments?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Can Brad Stevens make the necessary adjustments? 

Post#41 » by jfs1000d » Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 am

Brad decided that today he want going to fill around. Rode 7 players.

I would expect a lot more bench in game 6.

The Cavs looked cooked. Role players we’re terrible. Lebron going to have to get a PED shot to continue to do what he is asked.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Can Brad Stevens make the necessary adjustments? 

Post#42 » by cloverleaf » Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am

jfs1000d wrote:Brad decided that today he want going to fill around. Rode 7 players.

I would expect a lot more bench in game 6.

The Cavs looked cooked. Role players we’re terrible. Lebron going to have to get a PED shot to continue to do what he is asked.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Why way more bench in 6? The C's have 7 starter-level players in their big starting team and the Marci. Notably, all of those players (plus yes, Semi if Brad dips down to him again) are capable defensive players.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#43 » by Gomes3PC » Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 pm

I'd actually go even more aggressively tight in the rotation in the playoffs, unless we run into foul trouble. I'd also bite the bullet and shift minutes from Terry to Marcus. This is our shot to cut the head off the snake, now is not the time to dabble with Yabu and Monroe.
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#44 » by TA42 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:I'd actually go even more aggressively tight in the rotation in the playoffs, unless we run into foul trouble. I'd also bite the bullet and shift minutes from Terry to Marcus. This is our shot to cut the head off the snake, now is not the time to dabble with Yabu and Monroe.

Agree - we have a chance to finish this tonight. Play your best guys and only go deeper into the bench if there is foul trouble or it's Gino Time. Plenty of time to rest in between series if need be.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#45 » by chrisab123 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:43 pm

Tomorrow will tell us a lot. Bringing Butler to the brink of a national title was incredible and doing it two years in a row is amazing. But Duke and UConn didn’t have LeBron James who has willed his team to game 7. Brad is finding out that it’s impossible to scheme against him. This series will be decided by him taking out Nance Korver and Hill. JR will take himself out since no doubt that chucklehead is going to wear a black suit to the Garden like he didn’t a couple years back.

Can Brad do it? Probably not. LeBron seems to flow better without Love. Nance is a better fit for his style so losing Love helps the Cavs. Thompson owns Al.

I love everything that the team has done but there’s no shame in losing to the best player in the world. At least we didn’t go down like the Raptors in 4. I give the Celtics a 30 % chance. After being in attendance for game 6 a couple years back you witness something like that and realize some people cannot be beaten unless you have multiple superstars. The only shot they have is to get an early lead to demoralize the LeBrons. If LeBron leads at any point in the 2nd half it’s over.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 27, 2018 12:08 am

Gomes3PC wrote: now is not the time to dabble with Yabu and Monroe.

Yabu dabble don't!
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#47 » by threrf23 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:46 am

I think it's time to stick Marcus (Smart) on Lebron for as much of the game as possible. He won't stop Lebron, but he'll bother Lebron more than anyone else on our team can and our defense will have a different look.

No Kevin Love means more Larry Nance - I'm not sure that's such a good thing, as Nance brings more energy to the table and is shooting 78% from the field in the playoffs. He's also 9-19 from the line in the playoffs. Hack a Nance? On the plus side, Nance is not a threat from deep, and shooting from deep is what the Cavs like to do outside of Lebron.

Without Love, TT becomes their post presence defensively, and they are weaker on the boards at least when Jeff Green is playing PF. Monroe can help us take advantage of these weaknesses, Baynes as well. But I think it is time to dabble with Moose - at least give him a chance. Not all that long ago we were debating whether he was worth a max contract, it's not like he's a complete scrub.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#48 » by GuyClinch » Sun May 27, 2018 6:14 am

Come on - they are way easier to beat without Love. We all want the Celtics to win but this 'imagine defeat' so I can be happy in case we lose stuff is kinda pathetic.

C's need to man up - especially Tatum and Horford who sucked in Cleveland... Coach Stevens did a bad job on Lebron.. No semi was a bad idea with Tatum giving you nothing on O anyway.. Might as well put someone in with the strength to at least slow Lebron.

it's important that they feel that they SHOULD win - so it can actually happen. i hope this defeatist attitude is relegated to the fans..
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#49 » by Cyclical » Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 am

Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#50 » by Leprechaun18 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:05 am

Of course! The Cs are gonna bring the thumping wood for lebron!
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#51 » by Cyclical » Sun May 27, 2018 7:29 am

This is what it comes down to:

"It all feels a lot better if we get back on D and only hold them to one shot. In the games that we've lost one of those two areas has not been pretty and so that's where we have to be better. We have to be great at both those areas tomorrow night. Get back, set our defense and hold them to only one shot".

To me, Love or no Love, Baynes has to get more minutes. He had an impactful first half, then sat out most of the second.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#52 » by return2glory » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Love or no Love, Cavs will win game 7. Guaranteed.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#53 » by Slax » Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 pm

return2glory wrote:Love or no Love, Cavs will win game 7. Guaranteed.

:noway:

Whether we win or lose today, you should feel ashamed of yourself for posting this.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#54 » by return2glory » Mon May 28, 2018 4:34 am

Slax wrote:

Whether we win or lose today, you should feel ashamed of yourself for posting this.

It was meant to jinx the Cavs.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#55 » by Slax » Mon May 28, 2018 4:41 am

return2glory wrote:
Slax wrote:

It was meant to jinx the Cavs.

I wish it worked :(
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#56 » by OBisHalJordan » Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 pm

I think last night's loss has to be attributed to Stevens. With about 7 minutes left in the 4th, the Cavs were in the penalty. No one besides Tatum was really shooting well but they kept jacking up threes. Why didn't Stevens call a time out and start calling plays from the sidelines to get them players driving to the lane and posting up? They had the advantage being in the penalty. This is basketball 101. Sometimes, we outsmart ourselves in the analytics era. In general, I think the Celtics shoot way to many early shot clock threes in the Brad Stevens era. It's bad basketball. Make the defense work! I found this to be the most frustrating aspect of last night's game and of this team in general.

Return to Boston Celtics