ImageImageImage

Jackie Mac on Marcus Smart's RFA--"He's going for the money"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Jackie Mac on Marcus Smart's RFA--"He's going for the money" 

Post#1 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm

“I’ve talked to lots of people around the Celtics and around the league about Marcus Smart. If Marcus Smart was willing to take a – let’s say Sacramento for arguments sake or another team that isn’t quite good. And they offer him $14 million a year. And the Celtics say, ‘We can’t pay you that. But we’ll pay you $12 (million).’ My question to them was will Marcus Smart take it because they’re contending, he’s a cult hero in town. Every one of them said, ‘Hell no, he’s going for the money.’ I’ve never asked him this question. But that’s the impression I get. You can’t blame young guys who want to go out to the highest bidder and thinks he should be a starter and he’s not going to be one in Boston for many years to come.”

Zach Lowe, however, was more optimistic:

Read on Twitter
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Re: Jackie Mac on Marcus Smart's RFA--"He's going for the money" 

Post#2 » by watsonthedragon » Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm

I'd be pretty surprised to see him leave to go to a **** team over 2m/year. If we're talking closer to 5m then it starts to makes sense. Doesn't seem like the type to me that cares about starting.
thefuture2
Pro Prospect
And1: 799

Post#3 » by thefuture2 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Well I heard Celtics front office and Smart were discussing $10-12 million before the season but Smart wanted more. I'll be interested to see if he feels as if his value has gone up this year.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#4 » by Edug27 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 pm

We are all assuming a team will actually even offer Smart that much money.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#5 » by Scoonie » Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm

I'll be very surprised if one of the few teams under the salary cap offers him $12-$14 million per year. He is too limited and unreliable on the offensive end to justify paying him that much (see last night's game, for example).
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
AzogTheDefilier
Senior
And1: 281

Post#6 » by AzogTheDefilier » Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Several teams could definitely give him the $$:

Indiana
Atlanta
Sac
Dallas
Philly
LAL

It would suck if he went to Philly or Indi. The other teams would not really hurt the Cs.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,695

Post#7 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Edug27 wrote:We are all assuming a team will actually even offer Smart that much money.

Oh some team will. Smarts contract has disaster written all over it for any non contending team that overpays for him. He fits here most of the time but imagine having him on your team where he is playing 35+ minutes a game where he is jacking up 20 shots night and maybe hitting around 4 or 5 of them.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#8 » by Edug27 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Edug27 wrote:We are all assuming a team will actually even offer Smart that much money.

Oh some team will. Smarts contract has disaster written all over it for any non contending team that overpays for him. He fits here most of the time but imagine having him on your team where he is playing 35+ minutes a game where he is jacking up 20 shots a game and hitting around 4 or 5 of them.

Still find it really hard to believe a team offers him 14-15 mil a year. A couple years ago.. sure.
AzogTheDefilier
Senior
And1: 281

Post#9 » by AzogTheDefilier » Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm

I am not sure there are enough minutes for him anyway once Hayward, Irving and Theis return. You still have to feed Al, Tatum, Brown and Scary Terry. I'd do a sign and trade with him but that is about it.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#10 » by GregB » Tue May 22, 2018 6:00 pm

If someone pays him 14-20 million they will likely regret it. It would be sad to lose him. But he can’t be counted on consistently.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#11 » by soxfan2003 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

Oh some team will. Smarts contract has disaster written all over it for any non contending team that overpays for him. He fits here most of the time but imagine having him on your team where he is playing 35+ minutes a game where he is jacking up 20 shots night and maybe hitting around 4 or 5 of them.

Smart as a rookie was on a mediocre below league average team offense team. He played 27 MPG and only took a little over 7 shots per game. Even when the Celtics didn't have that much offense, Smart has never really tried to be Ricky Davis or Antoine Walker. He really has mostly just shot enough to try to keep the defense honest.

If a rebuilding team can sign Smart to a contract that gets smaller each year signing him makes sense... Have him try to work on his deficiencies. Smart will probably never be a very good offensive player but he still has the potential to be a good one.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#12 » by robdog_5 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Smart will be an interesting case. Front offices are led by #s and data guys it seems more and more. I feel coaches will over value Smart but front office will undervalue Smart.

There also isn't a ton of teams with a big cap space. So I don't see Smart as being one of the top guys. I'd hate to see him go to a eastern conf contender.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#13 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Have fun in Sacramento!
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#14 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm

I've been on the fence with Smart. Yes he makes winning plays but you look at last night and his miss threes hurt the momentum. Honestly he's a guaranteed 2-8 every night it seems and when this team needs a big basket to get back into the game or their taking the last shot at the end of the quater it seems too many times it's Smart taking it. I say let him walk and draft a good defender like Melton, Frazier, or somone in the draft.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#15 » by chrisab123 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Smart might get paid he might not but I still see him taking the QO and going for UFA next year. He's had way too much of an up and down year to get 15 + million
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#16 » by 2Mas » Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:I'd be pretty surprised to see him leave to go to a **** team over 2m/year. If we're talking closer to 5m then it starts to makes sense. Doesn't seem like the type to me that cares about starting.

This.

Look Jackie does great reporting & has great stories. But she's washed up.

Any legit reporting I usually don't agree with. I have no facts or basis to back up me personally not believing me.

Do i think Smart goes to Sac for $2mil more a year? Hell no. FOH w/ the nonsense.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#17 » by celticfan42487 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm

AzogTheDefilier wrote:Several teams could definitely give him the $$:

Indiana
Atlanta
Sac
Dallas
Philly
LAL

It would suck if he went to Philly or Indi. The other teams would not really hurt the Cs.

If he goes to Philly for the money and that means they're not getting Paul George or LeBron. Or they're dumb enough to let JJ Reddick go in favor of Smart we should still pay him 10 million next year for doing us the favor.
LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#18 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 pm

I cant see Smart getting that this year.. He is still very inconsistent on the offensive end.. Him also being a guard and needing the ball in his hands causes issues for our offense.. Teams can play us to dare him to shoot and he still belives he can make every shot... I am at a point where I am fine with letting him walk.. I think we can find a replacement that may bring 80% of the defense but more competent on the offensive side
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#19 » by Gant » Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 pm

2Mas wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:I'd be pretty surprised to see him leave to go to a **** team over 2m/year. If we're talking closer to 5m then it starts to makes sense. Doesn't seem like the type to me that cares about starting.

This.

Look Jackie does great reporting & has great stories. But she's washed up.

Any legit reporting I usually don't agree with. I have no facts or basis to back up me personally not believing me.

Do i think Smart goes to Sac for $2mil more a year? Hell no. FOH w/ the nonsense.

Jackie MacMullan is the opposite of washed up. She's almost always right, and the only times she's wrong are when people changed their minds after talking to her.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#20 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Smart might get paid he might not but I still see him taking the QO and going for UFA next year. He's had way too much of an up and down year to get 15 + million

Your assuming Smart will be better next year. Bold assumption!

Return to Boston Celtics