ImageImageImage

Jackie Mac on Marcus Smart's RFA--"He's going for the money"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Jackie Mac on Marcus Smart's RFA--"He's going for the money" 

Post#121 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Jammer wrote:There are quite a few delusional posts in this thread.

Let's be clear, if you are third string at a position, Ainge pays MINIMUM.

Kyrie and Rozier will get all the PG minutes. Larkin will probably play for minimum elsewhere simply because he'll know the probability of him playing next season will require one of Kyrie or Rozier to miss a game. Ditto Marcus Smart as a PG. Smart's current 30 mpg in the playoffs will go to Kyrie.

Jalen Brown will still play at least 32 mpg at SG, if not more. And one of Kyrie or Rozier will take a good part of the remainder. So unless Smart can be signed for a bargain price, he likely will be playing elsewhere. But with a tight market this summer, his market value might be a lot less than some have suggested.

Smart also plays some SF, but Tatum and Hayward will absorb that. The 29 mpg that Marcus MORRIS plays will go to Gordon Hayward.

And if they sell high on Rozier? Which is absolutely possible. Calling people delusional for thinking Smart could get a pretty good contract is silly. Bulpett, who is well known as Ainges mouthpiece is in the record as saying they'd pay in the mid teens to bring Smart back.

Now I don't think he will that much, but I could see him back on a 4/36-44 million type of deal.
thelarrybirdx
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#122 » by thelarrybirdx » Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Does anybody think that an injured, bandage thumb might be affecting Smart's shooting?

Was he a better shooter before the injured, bandaged thumb?

Yes. His playoff 3pt % is his worst ever, after improving in previous seasons. His playoff 2pt % has actually been dropping ever year anyway, and that has continued.

11-54 is a bad playoff 3pt shooting result even by Smart's low standards.

Even before the injury he was statistically the worst shooter of all time.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#123 » by Jammer » Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Think of it this way.

The Celtics Top 6 players, without ranking, other than saying Top 6,
are:

Kyrie Irving
Gordon Hayward
Al Horford
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Terry Rozier, III

Before sinking any money into Smart the Celtics have probably set aside dollars for another "Big", someone better than Aron Baynes and Greg Monroe. The Celtics probably only want to bring back one of Baynes or Monroe simply because they'd like a defensive presence to handle Embiid in the future, in addition to say, Aron Baynes.

So Logically there won't be very much money allocated to Marcus Smart.

Look at it from a minutes perspective.
Big with length - 30 mpg (Celtics have Sacramento and Memphis's 2019 1rst Round Picks in addition to their own for trade)
Irving - 30 mpg
Hayward - 30 mpg
Horford - 32 mpg
Tatum - 32 mpg
Brown - 32 mpg
Rozier - 30 mpg

That's 216 minutes and guys like Baynes, Theis, will take some of the remaining 24 minutes, even Ojelaye.

So Marcus Smart is not likely to command a big salary IF Irving and Hayward are ready to go.

So the statement Marcus is looking for the money may simply mean that he will sign an offer sheet for the best offer he can get in the first 10 days (or less) of free agency.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#124 » by GoGreen » Thu May 24, 2018 4:19 am

If someone wants to pay Marcus 14 a year, have at it. I won't miss 'em. For as good as he is on defense, his offense drives me up a wall.
dynasty2018
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#125 » by dynasty2018 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:52 am

How can Danny allow tonight's Marcus Smart to walk away for nothing? One might not like his style but he was a #6 pick and is a proven NBA rotation player. Is his hand 100%? His mom is sick. He had a great game tonight. Brad's leaning on seven guys and he's one of them. I'm thinking possible #18. Why not? Smart is a warrior and wild card. LeBron would love to be on the Celtics right about now. He's salivating over our roster. Marcus Smart was outstanding.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#126 » by soxfan2003 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 am

Smart is being treated a little unfair here. Check out his playoff shooting and playoff 3 point percentages before this year. Not bad for a top notch defender especially when put in context that many of his 3's were semi contested since the Celtics didn't have a ton of firepower on offense.

This year he is obviously playing with a bad hand so if I am Ainge in evaluating his playoff 3 point shooting, I am a bit more lenient especially in the early rounds since I think it is the fair/appropriate thing to do. Now if Smart's hand injury is a permanent injury, kind of a different story but I suspect it is continuing to get a little bit better every day. Give the guy credit for coming back ASAP from the hand injury.

If I am Wyc without much hesitation unless someone can show me a better option I pay Smart 3 years 45 million if that is what the market right now dictates. And I am one of the fans on this forum who has often said fans are unrealistic about Wyc spending truly crazy money and that the Celtics would be absolutely crazy to pay IT a big time salary.

Over the past few years, I have always stated the obvious importance of draft picks. One of the reasons I stated you could never have enough is situations like Smart and even Rozier/Hayward/Kyrie.

Let's say Ainge signs Smart to 3 years 45 million and he then regresses for whatever reason, realistically Ainge/Wyc may just have to swallow that 3 year 45 million deal for 2 years. And then if he wants to save on the luxury tax/repeater tax and Smart can't be dumped for nothing, he packages Smart with a pick or two -- Celtics own picks -- to a team with cap room that is under the cap but can't sign a good FA.

Less than ideal... I get that but if you are trying to contend for a championship and you have 4 players like Tatum/Brown/Hayward/Horford, Smart can be a player that really fits well with those 4 players.

Just the presence of Hayward replacing some of the minutes of Morris/Baynes and yes some of Smart's as well is going to significantly improve the quality of Smart's looks from 3.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#127 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 am

We will have enough problems fitting 5 max worthy(augurably) players under our cap in the near future so Smart is gone if he's not going to accept 12 top. I don't entirely agree with the Jackie Mac on the "you can't blame" thing, you can argue with the choice he will eventually make, then only facts will decide who's wrong or who's right. The difference between 5x12 and 14x4 is non existent, say otherwise would be like spitting on the face of the people that has a regular job. If I was Smart I will be thinking twice about taking a great offer for a scrappy team when the Celtics are the ones who made him a player, on the other hand he should be aware he can be traded at any time.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#128 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 am

Klay Thompson $17,826,150
Draymond Green $16,400,000
Andre Iguodala $14,814,815
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#129 » by jfs1000d » Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am

Gant wrote:
2Mas wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:I'd be pretty surprised to see him leave to go to a **** team over 2m/year. If we're talking closer to 5m then it starts to makes sense. Doesn't seem like the type to me that cares about starting.

This.

Look Jackie does great reporting & has great stories. But she's washed up.

Any legit reporting I usually don't agree with. I have no facts or basis to back up me personally not believing me.

Do i think Smart goes to Sac for $2mil more a year? Hell no. FOH w/ the nonsense.

Jackie MacMullan is the opposite of washed up. She's almost always right, and the only times she's wrong are when people changed their minds after talking to her.

Jackie prob got that from ainge. She isnt washed up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#130 » by ParticleMan » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 am

i think we're going to get tony allen'd with marcus. someone will offer him lots of money, ainge will match, but ultimately marcus will realize that there's no path to him being a starter here.

the only way i see this change is if we trade rozier somewhere, then we can afford to promise marcus effectively starter minutes even if he's off the bench. jabari bird slots in to the 4th guard spot. in that case he's worth $15m per. otherwise, given that we're going to have to pay tatum + brown and of course the max for kyrie, we've got to be a bit careful.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#131 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 am

I'll be selfish here for once. I was okay letting go of our recent FRPs in Sully, KO, and FA signing ET. I understood trading AB, IT, and Jae. I am kinda hoping no one offers Smart money he can't refuse. I still rather keep him over Rozier if we can only pay either and not both.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#132 » by darrendaye » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

soxfan2003 wrote:
Just the presence of Hayward replacing some of the minutes of Morris/Baynes and yes some of Smart's as well is going to significantly improve the quality of Smart's looks from 3.

Agree. Smart can more easily be relegated to corner 3 attempts by and large. He could still bring the ball up and get top of the break touches with expectations that those duties are primarily to run the offense. Sure he takes some quick pull-up 3's and that would hopefully be curtailed by reminders that he has more elite firepower around him. While he surely shoots more than he should, he touches the ball a lot with the current roster and most of the time is a very willing facilitator.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#133 » by claycarver » Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 am

ermocrate wrote:Klay Thompson $17,826,150

And they'll still be $20 (at least) over the tax once they sign Durant and fill out their roster. With the repeater, that's a $65 tax bill.

We're either going to spend big money to win now or we should give up for the next 3 years till Golden State runs its course.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#134 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am

claycarver wrote:

And they'll still be $20 (at least) over the tax once they sign Durant and fill out their roster. With the repeater, that's a $65 tax bill.

We're either going to spend big money to win now or we should give up for the next 3 years till Golden State runs its course.

We are in the position to beat GS even now with Kyrie and Gordon, next year Smart points will be no longer needed we only need the defensive grind and that grind can be found for way less than what he is asking.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#135 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 am

Plus, we are in a great sitution salarywise, we have 2 guy on the Rookie contract playing like all-stars and Kyrie that is very cheap for his status, the time to add great players is between the next 2-3 years, clog the salary cap with big contracts for Smart and Rozier is the last thing you should do.
claycarver
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by claycarver » Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am

ermocrate wrote:
claycarver wrote:

We are in the position to beat GS even now with Kyrie and Gordon, next year Smart points will be no longer needed we only need the defensive grind and that grind can be found for way less than what he is asking.

The same kind of gamble Ainge took when he let Tony Allen walk.

Turns out, that was a bad move.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#137 » by Jammer » Thu May 24, 2018 11:39 am

ermocrate wrote:Plus, we are in a great sitution salarywise, we have 2 guy on the Rookie contract playing like all-stars and Kyrie that is very cheap for his status, the time to add great players is between the next 2-3 years, clog the salary cap with big contracts for Smart and Rozier is the last thing you should do.

Smart is at the end of his rookie deal, but he is restricted.
Rozier has 1 year left on his rookie deal, than he gets major dollars.
Brown has 2 years left on his rookie deal, than he gets at least $20 million per.
Tatum has 3 years left on his rookie deal, than he gets a MAX contract.

So either Smart will be playing elsewhere, or Smart or Rozier gets traded, perhaps with the Sacramento or Memphis pick, for a Top 7 pick in June (say Orlando's #6 pick) to be used on a Big like Bamba to defend Embiid.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#138 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 12:04 pm

claycarver wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
claycarver wrote:

He was a young defender in a team made of old dudes, Smart doesn't have any value near that. We were all crying about Avery and Crawford 8 monthys ago and...
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#139 » by ermocrate » Thu May 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Jammer wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Plus, we are in a great sitution salarywise, we have 2 guy on the Rookie contract playing like all-stars and Kyrie that is very cheap for his status, the time to add great players is between the next 2-3 years, clog the salary cap with big contracts for Smart and Rozier is the last thing you should do.

Smart is at the end of his rookie deal, but he is restricted.
Rozier has 1 year left on his rookie deal, than he gets major dollars.
Brown has 2 years left on his rookie deal, than he gets at least $20 million per.
Tatum has 3 years left on his rookie deal, than he gets a MAX contract.

So either Smart will be playing elsewhere, or Smart or Rozier gets traded, perhaps with the Sacramento or Memphis pick, for a Top 7 pick in June (say Orlando's #6 pick) to be used on a Big like Bamba to defend Embiid.

I think that will be the way, of Danny doesn't want to trad one or two all-stars
claycarver
Sixth Man

Post#140 » by claycarver » Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

ermocrate wrote:
claycarver wrote:
ermocrate wrote:We are in the position to beat GS even now with Kyrie and Gordon, next year Smart points will be no longer needed we only need the defensive grind and that grind can be found for way less than what he is asking.

He was a young defender in a team made of old dudes, Smart doesn't have any value near that. We were all crying about Avery and Crawford 8 monthys ago and...

Young, old...doesn't matter. You were right the first time, he's an elite grinder. I don't care how young your team is, you want a Draymond, Rodman, Tony Allen type on your championship contender. Who do you have to replace that?

Return to Boston Celtics