ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Re: Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#1361 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Jaylen and Tatum are already better 2 way players than Gordon was last year. They are under team control for 4-5 more years. Gordon can opt out next year. If he doesn’t, then he is washed up. If he does, we can’t pay him without trading one of the Jays soon after. His salary would allow us to bring back somebody good. We have enough picks to sweeten the pot to convince a team to take a chance on him. It may be a long shot, but I’d love to see Danny make a deal.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#1362 » by threrf23 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Jaylen and Tatum are already better 2 way players than Gordon was last year. They are under team control for 4-5 more years. Gordon can opt out next year. If he doesn’t, then he is washed up. If he does, we can’t pay him without trading one of the Jays soon after. His salary would allow us to bring back somebody good. We have enough picks to sweeten the pot to convince a team to take a chance on him. It may be a long shot, but I’d love to see Danny make a deal.

fwiw, statistically (by my calculations) Hayward played noticeably better than Jaylen on both sides of the ball last season, especially so on the offensive end where Jaylen had a particularly poor showing.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Re: Hayward 

Post#1363 » by darylbe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Festurs wrote:
darylbe wrote:I'm revising something I asked yesterday.

I think gordon hayward was the reason behind about half of the drama and tension last year. What does he and Brad do to correct this? "be a professional" obviously didn't work last year.

2. I feel like he's trash, but many disagree. Can he run the offense well enough to get past this bad blood?

3. If not, which I think is the case, should he be traded, and does that matter "trading off one of the big free agents." this can be covered by "rebuild mode." so I don't think it matters, and I'm all for it.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Gordon Hayward had by all accounts a bad season last year. He stilled scored 30 plus points more times than brown or Tatum ever have while coming off the bench.

The more you hear about the fracture in the locker room the easier it is to understand why Gordon was so hesitant last year. Apparently his own teammates would get upset with him if he did anything wrong. There’s no way he had a fair chance after one season here
He had a devastating injury and tried his best to come back. And he did. Again, I'm not a fan, and I think Brad gave him special treatment.

So say it's not fair or whatever, that's not the point.

The question is how does it get mended and where do we go from here?

Iuno.

GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1364 » by GoGreen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Jaylen and Tatum are already better 2 way players than Gordon was last year. They are under team control for 4-5 more years. Gordon can opt out next year. If he doesn’t, then he is washed up. If he does, we can’t pay him without trading one of the Jays soon after. His salary would allow us to bring back somebody good. We have enough picks to sweeten the pot to convince a team to take a chance on him. It may be a long shot, but I’d love to see Danny make a deal.

Not against it. It may have been a bad idea pairing them together. Kinda like the issues that arose between Austin Rivers and Doc.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#1365 » by robdog_5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Hayward is not going to bring back good value. If anything Jaylen will bring back a better return. Hayward is going to bring back bad contracts coming back. We would be just trading junk parts. Although Hayward's upside is much better than most guys we would get back. If he tears it up like I think he will we could deal him for more assets at trade deadline or we could build around him and Tatum. Either way I don't see the point of trading him now.
darylbe
Rookie

Post#1366 » by darylbe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 pm

So you want to trade brown, and you're idea is to build around tatum and whatever gordon hayward will possibly be?

I'm not talking about returning good value, I want to get rid of the issues of the locker room so they can play like a team
robdog_5 wrote:Hayward is not going to bring back good value. If anything Jaylen will bring back a better return. Hayward is going to bring back bad contracts coming back. We would be just trading junk parts. Although Hayward's upside is much better than most guys we would get back. If he tears it up like I think he will we could deal him for more assets at trade deadline or we could build around him and Tatum. Either way I don't see the point of trading him now.

hondobird
Sophomore
And1: 84

Hayward ? 

Post#1367 » by hondobird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 am

do you think Ainge would check with him before dealing him or do you think Ainge will deal him if / when he finds the right deal?
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1368 » by Upperclass » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 am

Gordon should be 6th man and occasional starter at PF and then dealt
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Re: Hayward ? 

Post#1369 » by TA42 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am

hondobird wrote:do you think Ainge would check with him before dealing him or do you think Ainge will deal him if / when he finds the right deal?

I think he’d make Gordon aware that he’s possibly being traded and then trade him whether Hayward likes the spot or not.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#1370 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am

Lol dude. When you going to learn. There are already plenty of threads this can go in
Sign here
hondobird
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#1371 » by hondobird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

@brackdan70 - not really - this is a specific question
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1372 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:13 am

hondobird wrote:do you think Ainge would check with him before dealing him or do you think Ainge will deal him if / when he finds the right deal?

C'mon man, the Hayward thread was RIGHT THERE. There is no need to create new threads for this stuff, especially considering more people read the bigger threads.
robdog_5
Veteran

Post#1373 » by robdog_5 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 am

darylbe wrote:So you want to trade brown, and you're idea is to build around tatum and whatever gordon hayward will possibly be?

I'm not talking about returning good value, I want to get rid of the issues of the locker room so they can play like a team
robdog_5 wrote:Hayward is not going to bring back good value. If anything Jaylen will bring back a better return. Hayward is going to bring back bad contracts coming back. We would be just trading junk parts. Although Hayward's upside is much better than most guys we would get back. If he tears it up like I think he will we could deal him for more assets at trade deadline or we could build around him and Tatum. Either way I don't see the point of trading him now.

I think the fact that Hayward will be healthier and ready for the season will make it so if the young guys are jealous because he's playing that will be on them because Hayward is really good when healthy. I don't think it's good to just rid him because some young guys got upset because Danny and Brad forced him back into the lineup before he was ready. I don't blame that on Gordon. IMO Gordon is better than Jaylen if he is healthy. I'm banking on him being healthy.

Gordon has 2 years left on his deal. Actually 1 plus a player option that unless he tears it up I don't see him opting out of. Jaylen will need to get paid next year. I'm not convinced Jaylen is more than a solid good player. I don't think I'd go over 20mil a year for him on the open market. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but Hayward being good is to our beneift. Either for trade value or he will make us a better team. Jaylen's trade value is highest now, well it was probably last off season but he could help a legit team because his contract is low enough that he won't be hard to trade for and he could garner assets back (Draft picks). Meanwhile Hayward will bring back dead weight or will cost us capital. It just isn't a sound decision to trade him(hayward) right now IMO
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#1374 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:31 am

Hayward needs to be traded sooner rather than later. There is no point in keeping him with Horford leaving. If you are going with youth, go with youth. What's the point of having Hayward around if he wins you 4-5 more games? I would trade him to a team like the Knicks with requisite cap space just to get out from under that deal. Hayward made sense when they were a player away from a championship (or so Ainge thought). He makes no sense now.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
robdog_5
Veteran

Post#1375 » by robdog_5 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 am

SMH because trading him now does absolutely no good for the Celtics. Nobody wants him. You know what they will get back for Hayward.....Chris Paul maybe Andrew Wiggins. Basically negative value guys who have bloated contracts. Why trade our perceived trash for someone elses. If you want to send him to the Knicks who surely won't want to give up their salary space your going to have to give them assets to make it worth it. I just don't understand the rationale of wanting to deal him now. It's the worst time to do it. If he has a great 2 months and you can raise the return for him and still want to deal him then do it then. If he crashes and burns you only have 1 more year on the books and he's much more likely to be accepted on a trade in a expiring year. (next season)
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#1376 » by flintsky21 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Stevens-Hayward-Ainge for Masai-Nurse-Kawhi. Who says no?!

The Celtics would gave to take on Drake for the Raps to even consider this.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1377 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 am

robdog_5 wrote:SMH because trading him now does absolutely no good for the Celtics. Nobody wants him. You know what they will get back for Hayward.....Chris Paul maybe Andrew Wiggins. Basically negative value guys who have bloated contracts.

I disagree. There will be plenty of teams with cap space who strike out on the big name free agents. It looks as though the Knicks will be out in the cold, and Indiana may strike out as well. Offer Hayward to one of those franchises for a prospect and a huge trade exception. Someone will bite.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1378 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 am

My guess is that Gordon has quietly asked to be traded, rather than deal with snotty teammates who stigmatized him as the teacher's pet.

And I think he'll have his power and bounce back next season as he rounds into AS form again.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1379 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:05 am

That's fine with me, so long as they don't bring a bad contract back.

darylbe
Rookie

Post#1380 » by darylbe » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 am

Snotty teammates? What were you watching? Did he deserve minutes for 90% of the season? Absolutely not. He belonged in rehab.

So ok, the next bs response is he was "getting minutes so he is ready for post season.". Well he played 30 minutes a game vs Milwaukee and averaged 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.

Is it so crazy to think that he should have needed to prove himself or actually earn playing time throughout the season? Is that shocking? you seriously think that isn't appropriate? So yes, being brads little butt buddy is accurate.
cloverleaf wrote:

My guess is that Gordon has quietly asked to be traded, rather than deal with snotty teammates who stigmatized him as the teacher's pet.

And I think he'll have his power and bounce back next season as he rounds into AS form again.

Return to Boston Celtics