ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#41 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

ermocrate wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
ermocrate wrote:From my understanding while we were losing the ecf, Gordon came out with a win again...

Eh 3 girld? :D Nothing against women but I'm convinced he wanted a boy so he can maybe have one of his kids play b-ball. A kid is a kid anyways. Gz to Gordon. :lol:

A father is often jealous of his girls, for now he is good, once they start dating he will ive in a nightmare... :lol:

Especially 3. Damn that's a lot. I mean women are great, but they need a lot more protection while growing up. Not that men/boys don't, but you need to put more effort and Gordon's gonna have a lot of work to do. :lol:
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#42 » by ermocrate » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Eh 3 girld? :D Nothing against women but I'm convinced he wanted a boy so he can maybe have one of his kids play b-ball. A kid is a kid anyways. Gz to Gordon. :lol:

A father is often jealous of his girls, for now he is good, once they start dating he will ive in a nightmare... :lol:

Especially 3. Damn that's a lot. I mean women are great, but they need a lot more protection while growing up. Not that men/boys don't, but you need to put more effort and Gordon's gonna have a lot of work to do. :lol:

What's terrifying for a father is that he knows guys mindset... Women are complex and beautiful and need more sensibility than most men growing up. Most of my female cousins have sort of a strange relation with men because of coflicts with their father figure, that's tough man...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#43 » by Homerclease » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am

At least GH doesn’t have to spring for new clothes. Man o man, 3 little girls. The sound of silence is golden remember that Gordon.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#44 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Having raised two girls, from where I am sitting all I can say that Gordon Hayward has got to be one of the luckiest men on the face of this earth.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Post#45 » by itrsteve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 pm

With that smoke show of a wife I’d keep trying, a lot.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#46 » by Higgs Boston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Hayward will be like

Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#47 » by Scoonie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Hayward's wife is insanely hot.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#48 » by Theocy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am

Scoonie wrote:Hayward's wife is insanely hot.

Well the guy is a millionaire and a living breathing captain america. What did you expect . Scraps ? :lol:
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,287

Post#49 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm

I thought this was a great breakdown of what Hayward can do for our offense next season. Credit goes to u/King_Of_Pants on Reddit:

Hayward will be bigger than people realise.

1. When we lost Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder, we lost pretty much all our off-ball movement. Brown and Tatum shoot at a higher per cent, but they still aren't as good in terms of creating gravity with their off-ball movements yet.

Hayward is really good at threatening off-ball. It's not just Hayward coming back as a guy who can get 20 consistently (assuming he's healthy), his presence and gravity opens up the court for everyone.

2. Hayward is also a massively underrated facilitator. His 5.1 APG for Utah in 2014 matches Kyrie's 5.1 this past season. He took a smaller facilitating role in his past few years with Utah but that ability to move the ball is what Boston is really looking to capture.

When Boston sat down with Horford in FA talks the first thing they spoke about was having Horford run the offence more and how he was underutilised as a facilitator. I'm certain they had the exact same talk with Hayward last offseason.

A big part of Boston's scoring woes came from the fact that we dropped from being top 3 in pretty much all facilitating stats to ~19th. Hayward brings us back up, and makes up for the facilitating differences between Kyrie and IT.

3. Hayward being able to run even just a mediocre offence is huuuuge for us. A big part of why the team ranked 18th offensively was because of stagnating stretches. Look at our losses to Cleveland, 3/4 of them came in just one quarter. The same was happening when Kyrie was still playing:

Boston owns an offensive rating of 108.2 with Irving on the floor this season [good for 6th in NBA], according to NBA Advanced Stats. That's tied for the best on-court rating on the team with Al Horford, and is nearly four points higher than Boston's season average.

But when Irving goes to the bench, Boston's offensive rating dives to a team-worst 97.2 [last place is Phoenix with 100.7]. That means Boston is 11 points better per 100 possessions with Irving on the floor.

Being able to stagger Kyrie and Hayward will have an insane impact on this team. We can always have an all-star first-option scorer on the court (Kyrie/Hayward), we can always run a quality facilitator next to them (Smart/Horford/Rozier).

I think he honestly has a Chris Paul impact for us if he comes back healthy. Just like CP3 in Houston, he is a great off-ball option when he shares the court with the star PG, he is a great secondary facilitator, he opens up the possibility for us to stagger our stars.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#50 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm

One projection has Celtics to be 5th in offensive rating (behind Warriors, Rockets, Raps, Wolves) and 3rd in defensive rating (behind Jazz, Sixers) next season, not factoring in Smart coming back. That's a decent jump on offense that Hayward will bring.

Projections change as trades/signings are made.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,287

Post#51 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:One projection has Celtics to be 5th in offensive rating (behind Warriors, Rockets, Raps, Wolves) and 3rd in defensive rating (behind Jazz, Sixers) next season, not factoring in Smart coming back. That's a decent jump on offense that Hayward will bring.

That long breakdown I posted was in response to someone saying that adding Hayward isn't going to give us enough of a boost to jump from 18th ORTG (last season) to top 5-10. I think adding him will for SURE put us in top 10, no question, and it's definitely a possibility for top 5.

Not only is Gordon RIDICULOUSLY efficient and plays exactly to Brad's system (hell, it's practically built for him), he's a very underrated facilitator. Having two of him, Kyrie, and Al on the floor at all times is going to be an amazing luxury.

Brad and Kyrie talked about how last season after Game 1 they had to start from scratch since they spent the whole summer building the system around him and Gordon. I CANNOT WAIT to see that. There's a reason Gordon was the most sought after FA last year. Dude's a legit top 15 player in the league when healthy, and I seriously think has a chance to push it to top 10-12 under Brad.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#52 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:Having raised two girls, from where I am sitting all I can say that Gordon Hayward has got to be one of the luckiest men on the face of this earth.

Nice, Elrod.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#53 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:One projection has Celtics to be 5th in offensive rating (behind Warriors, Rockets, Raps, Wolves) and 3rd in defensive rating (behind Jazz, Sixers) next season, not factoring in Smart coming back. That's a decent jump on offense that Hayward will bring.

We could easily replicate our defense from last season. Don't see a reason we can't be the top defense and a top 5 offense.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#54 » by Afam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#55 » by Afam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

This team is going to be close to being unbeatable. They are the second best team in the NBA. Boston Celtics present, and future is bright.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#56 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

We could easily replicate our defense from last season. Don't see a reason we can't be the top defense and a top 5 offense.

I agree. Hayward's D is seriously underestimated. Also, TRo is a great defender who fell off some on it as he was both directing the O and a primary scorer on O, for big minutes and for the first time. I suspect this year he will juggle better being a lead-dog two-way player. Semi and Theis should also be ready for bigger minutes. Baynes's 3-point shooting may prepare him for bigger minutes too--and he was the most impactful defender they had last year.

Then there's the potential on D from Williams too.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,534

Post#57 » by NuckyPowell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Afam wrote:

I honestly don't know what to expect from Hayward this year, but if he gets back to this level, we're going to be special, and we'll have a punchers chance against Golden State.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#58 » by Moose23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:
Afam wrote:

I honestly don't know what to expect from Hayward this year, but if he gets back to this level, we're going to be special, and we'll have a punchers chance against Golden State.

Thing thing with Gordon is that even if he isnt his former self, as long as he can be hidden on defense with Brown and Tatum doing the heavy lifing and offensively he can make open shots, and find the open man on some drive, he GREATLY improves the team.

Having 5 guys that can pass, shoot, defend, and run the break is crazy.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,534

Post#59 » by NuckyPowell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Moose23 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:I honestly don't know what to expect from Hayward this year, but if he gets back to this level, we're going to be special, and we'll have a punchers chance against Golden State.

Thing thing with Gordon is that even if he isnt his former self, as long as he can be hidden on defense with Brown and Tatum doing the heavy lifing and offensively he can make open shots, and find the open man on some drive, he GREATLY improves the team.

Curious, does he need to be hidden on defense? Is he generally thought of as a poor defender? I really haven't watched him play much.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#60 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Moose23 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:
Afam wrote:

Hayward doesn't need to be "hidden" on D and I am somewhat puzzled as to why you think that--unless you are going on skin color. (Hint: much more aware defender than Brown and much stronger defender than Tatum.)

Return to Boston Celtics