ImageImageImage

Jabari Bird – Charged w/Domestic Felonies. Remains Hospitalized (4th Night)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Re: Jabari Bird, being Scouted by 76ers and TWolves 

Post#41 » by robdog_5 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:14 pm

If we want to keep Marcus and Bird and stay under luxury you have to deal Morris IMO.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#42 » by Gant » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:17 pm

The Celtics flow chart is see what happens with Smart, then make a decision on Bird based on that.

Things change if someone first offers a contract to Bird. Then (you'd think) they have to match Bird, and following that would deal with Smart in a tighter monetary position.

If Bird does not get an offer elsewhere, Smart might sign the QO, leaving lots of leeway for Bird.

If Smart gets an Exum or above contract first, the BIrd poachers could make their move.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#43 » by Gant » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:19 pm

Smitty is seriously as good as anyone out there now.

Read on Twitter
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#44 » by Scarletfire81 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:32 pm

As long as we don’t sign smart to a deal that prevents us from keeping Bird. I would even go so far to say I would rather have Bird than Smart if I had to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#45 » by BigTrade92 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:41 pm

Was certainly a mistake to keep Nader under contract all year and allow Bird to reach Free Agency.

I hope this doesn’t bite us in the end. Bird has some real upside.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#46 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:46 pm

Your team is in a really good spot when fans are arguing about who the 14th or 15th guy on the roster should be.

That, or the offseason has gotten so dull that there's nothing else to talk about. HEY POP, TRADE KAWHI ALREADY!!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#47 » by GregB » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:47 pm

Who has caproom or any exceptions left?

I am thinking he ends up getting a nice 4 yr deal from us 6-7 mil total. Obviously the details are in the guaranteed years.

But If anyone wants to offer him BAE or above then you potentially let him walk.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#48 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:47 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:Was certainly a mistake to keep Nader under contract all year and allow Bird to reach Free Agency.

This is a Good Point. -- We should have dumped Nader, by the Trade Deadline.
And added Bird to the Full Roster.

Now, we have to dance around this stuff.
When we could be just dealing with Smart, and 2 new Two-Way contracts.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#49 » by grindtime22 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:42 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:Was certainly a mistake to keep Nader under contract all year and allow Bird to reach Free Agency.

I look at it the other way around. I think not signing him and only getting 1 1/2 years of control was done with long term purpose.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#50 » by rickrolled » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:45 pm

I think if we do extend Smart, we could sign Bird to a portion of the tax payer MLE, but think we need to waive and renounce first but then it could be like Boozer/Fisher scenario.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:09 am

rickrolled wrote:I think if we do extend Smart, we could sign Bird to a portion of the tax payer MLE, but think we need to waive and renounce first but then it could be like Boozer/Fisher scenario.

Why would we need to do that? We just make him an offer and he signs it or finds an offer from another team.

Boozer was made a restricted free agent and the Cavs chose not to match. He wasn't renounced or anything like that. The Cavs just chose not to pick up his option year in exchange for getting a lower long term deal on the books. The Jazz stepped in and offered him a boatload and the Cavs didn't match.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#52 » by Scoonie » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:15 am

If Smart signs his qualifying offer, we should be able to sign Bird to a multi-year contract and still stay under the luxury tax for this upcoming season.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,396

Post#53 » by Homerclease » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:17 am

Scoonie wrote:If Smart signs his qualifying offer, we should be able to sign Bird to a multi-year contract and still stay under the luxury tax for this upcoming season.

It’s gonna be tight, especially if some team sends him an offer sheet for like 3-4 million per year which IMO he’s absolutely worth. If they can clear Yabusele off the books it would give the Celtics a lot more wiggle room to retain Bird
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#54 » by Scoonie » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:21 am

Homerclease wrote:
Scoonie wrote:If Smart signs his qualifying offer, we should be able to sign Bird to a multi-year contract and still stay under the luxury tax for this upcoming season.

It’s gonna be tight, especially if some team sends him an offer sheet for like 3-4 million per year which IMO he’s absolutely worth. If they can clear Yabusele off the books it would give the Celtics a lot more wiggle room to retain Bird

I can't imagine any team is going to offer him that much when he hasn't really proven anything at the NBA level yet. He's been great when he's played, but the sample size is tiny. Every dollar in the NBA is high stakes, and I don't see any team risking $3-$4 million a year on him.

Any offer he gets will likely be close to the veteran minimum for 1 year of service. He will need to prove himself on a consistent basis at the NBA level before he gets any offers higher than that.

I love the guy and I think he's a major talent, but still needs to prove himself.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#55 » by rickrolled » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:21 am

grindtime22 wrote:
rickrolled wrote:I think if we do extend Smart, we could sign Bird to a portion of the tax payer MLE, but think we need to waive and renounce first but then it could be like Boozer/Fisher scenario.

Why would we need to do that? We just make him an offer and he signs it or finds an offer from another team.

Boozer was made a restricted free agent and the Cavs chose not to match. He wasn't renounced or anything like that. The Cavs just chose not to pick up his option year in exchange for getting a lower long term deal on the books. The Jazz stepped in and offered him a boatload and the Cavs didn't match.

Huh?

The Cavs rescinded his QO making him unrestricted so that he could return to them with their MLE, Utah signed him to an offer sheet and yes the Cavs did not match because they were not enough under the cap and needed to trade players just to make room for Boozer.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#56 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:28 am

Nooooooooooo
Sign here
grindtime22
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:39 am

rickrolled wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:

Huh?

The Cavs rescinded his QO making him unrestricted so that he could return to them with their MLE, Utah signed him to an offer sheet and yes the Cavs did not match because they were not enough under the cap and needed to trade players just to make room for Boozer.

How would the Cavs be able to match regardless? If he was unrestricted, there would be no offer sheet.

The Cavs had a 3rd year option on him. The rest of it, I don't know, you could be right about parts.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:44 am

rickrolled wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:

Huh?

And I don't see anyway that had anything to do with the MLE. The Cavs had agreed to something like 45 million. No way the MLE could cover that amount back then. I do think they need to get under the cap to match it though.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#59 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:58 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

It wouldn't have mattered. You can only convert the two way contract to a one year minimum contract. Essentially by doing this you would have given up a year of control. Bird is a restricted FA for the next 3 years assuming he gets a contract from Boston this year (he can actually be on a two way deal for another season first).

Nader's contract was a reward for playing in the D league for a year and allowing Boston to keep his draft rights, prior to the two way contract rule. In exchange Boston was able to add on some non guaranteed salary by using the MLE for trade purposes that can still be used until 8/1/18 before it has to be guaranteed. It ends up being about 2 mil in returning salary in a trade if needed.

So we all understand the rules. Boston is able to restrict Bird with a $50,000 guarantee to a second two way deal. If they had waived Nader and signed Bird it would have cost Boston Nader's salary and the remaining $450,000 guaranteed on Nader that had been created to use in a trade. The prorated amount of $838,000 and Boston would now have to guaranteed Bird over 1 mil to make him a restricted FA. So your talking about 2-3 mil dollars in salary and against the tax compared to $50,000 and you would be in the same boat.

While I am sure teams will be interested in Bird they are not going to want to commit more than the minimum salary to him he is 24 years old.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#60 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:06 pm

sully00 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

It wouldn't have mattered. You can only convert the two way contract to a one year minimum contract. Essentially by doing this you would have given up a year of control. Bird is a restricted FA for the next 3 years assuming he gets a contract from Boston this year (he can actually be on a two way deal for another season first).

Nader's contract was a reward for playing in the D league for a year and allowing Boston to keep his draft rights, prior to the two way contract rule. In exchange Boston was able to add on some non guaranteed salary by using the MLE for trade purposes that can still be used until 8/1/18 before it has to be guaranteed. It ends up being about 2 mil in returning salary in a trade if needed.

So we all understand the rules. Boston is able to restrict Bird with a $50,000 guarantee to a second two way deal. If they had waived Nader and signed Bird it would have cost Boston Nader's salary and the remaining $450,000 guaranteed on Nader that had been created to use in a trade. The prorated amount of $838,000 and Boston would now have to guaranteed Bird over 1 mil to make him a restricted FA. So your talking about 2-3 mil dollars in salary and against the tax compared to $50,000 and you would be in the same boat.

While I am sure teams will be interested in Bird they are not going to want to commit more than the minimum salary to him he is 24 years old.

Wow. Very good points. -- Danny knows what he's doing.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics