ImageImageImage

Rank the Celtics Roster

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Rank the Celtics Roster 

Post#1 » by robdog_5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 am

Combo or whose the best player and how valuable they are.

1. Kyrie
2. Tatum
3. Horford
4. Hayward
5. Brown
6. Rozier
7. Baynes
8. Morris
9. Theis
10. Wannamaker
11. Ojeyle
12. Williams
13. Yasbule
14. Nader

Smart would slide into 6th for me. I'd prefer to cut Nader and slide Bird before Yasbule
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Re: Rank the Celtics Roster 

Post#2 » by Joshyjess » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am

I would agree with the order of the starting five (I think Brown has the potential to eventually be more valuable than Hayward, but definitely not yet). As for the bench I would say
6 - Smart (hoping he will sign an extension)
7 / 8 - Rozier or Baynes - depends on the situation. Sometimes Rozier will be more valuable, and then in other situations it'll be Baynes
9 - Theis
10 - Morris
11 - Ojeyle (he's more proven than Wannamaker, plus he can be has a huge upside on defense)
12 - Bird (assuming he makes the team which I think he will)
13 - Wannamaker (I just don't know enough about him)
14 - Williams (he might not play much at all this year)

I could be wrong, but barring an injury, I really don't think we will see either Yabusele or Nader on the roster this year. Now if Smart doesn't sign with Boston, the we might see Yabs make the 14 spot.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#3 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:27 am

If we're talking playoffs...

1. Kyrie
2. Horford
3. Tatum
4. Hayward (depending on Tatum's progression and Gordie's recovery, he could move up a spot)
-- gap --
5. Smart
6. Brown (depending on his improvement on D and as a playmaker could move up a spot)
7. Rozier
-- gap --
8. Morris (I really liked his D in recent postseason)
9. Theis
10. Baynes (less valuable in playoffs due to smaller matchups besides defending Embiid for stretches)
11. Ojeleye
-- gap --
12. Wanamaker (experienced vet who has played in big games although overseas)
13. Bird
14. Williams (don't really see him contributing much in his rookie year)
15. Yabusele

Edited for tiers.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,234

Post#4 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am

Joshyjess wrote:I would agree with the order of the starting five (I think Brown has the potential to eventually be more valuable than Hayward, but definitely not yet). As for the bench I would say
6 - Smart (hoping he will sign an extension)
7 / 8 - Rozier or Baynes - depends on the situation. Sometimes Rozier will be more valuable, and then in other situations it'll be Baynes
9 - Theis
10 - Morris
11 - Ojeyle (he's more proven than Wannamaker, plus he can be has a huge upside on defense)
12 - Bird (assuming he makes the team which I think he will)
13 - Wannamaker (I just don't know enough about him)
14 - Williams (he might not play much at all this year)

I could be wrong, but barring an injury, I really don't think we will see either Yabusele or Nader on the roster this year. Now if Smart doesn't sign with Boston, the we might see Yabs make the 14 spot.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd probably swap Morris and Theis, but value-wise it's close. Hopefully Williams works his way to at least 12, maybe higher (ceiling of 9) which is doubtful, but for now 14 is about right until he can consistently work and play and show things.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#5 » by ermocrate » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 am

Hayward is gonna come back and hunt you all...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#6 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 am

ermocrate wrote:Hayward is gonna come back and hunt you all...

Recency bias w/ Tatum > Not seeing Hayward play basketball in 9 months. But he was a beast last time he was in the postseason.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am

1. Kyrie
2. Hayward
gap
3. Horford
4. Tatum
5. Brown
gap
6. Smart
7. Baynes
8. Rozier
9. Morris
10. Theis
11. Williams

The only part I felt iffy on was Horford over Tatum. I think at the start of the year Horford will still be better than Tatum. But I wouldnt be shocked at all if by the year's end Tatum surpasses him.

And if Hayward can return to Hayward prior injury, I think some of you are going to be in awe of just how good this dude really is. He is a top 15-20 player in the league and I have him right there with Butler and PG13.

Im looking forward to

Kyrie vs Steph
Brown vs Klay
Hayward vs KD
Tatum vs Green
Horford vs Boogie

match up come May and early June.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#8 » by cl2117 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 am

I'm going with most valuable to us, which is a combo of best player and best value (contract/age/injury):

1. Tatum- Age, talent, contract, he's got it all
2. Kyrie- Easily still our best player, but contract and knee concerns drop him to #2
3. Hayward- People forget he's only 28. Last year I'd call him 1B to Kyrie, so he ends up at #3 assuming full recovery
4. Brown- Age, talent, contract. I consider him a step below Tatum in talent, but he's a successful #3 pick going into his 3rd season
5. Horford- Was tempted to put him as high as #3, but contract and age kept him at #5
6. Smart- Assuming he's resigned for $12m or under or comes back on the QO. As Brad says, he makes winning plays.
7. Rozier- Problem is that if he continues on his trajectory he is going to get lost to RFA, but hugely valuable as backup to Kryie
8. Williams- Kid had lottery talent and fell to us due to motor concerns. Brad will fix that. He's going to be a stud.
9. Theis- We missed him in the playoffs. He's going to turn some heads this season even in limited minutes. Total bargain as well.
10. Baynes- All of Australia can protect the paint and at $5m a year for 2 years, he's a good contract.
11. Ojeleye- Probably should have him ahead of Baynes and Theis, but don't want to jinx a good thing. Great 2nd round pick.
12. Yabusele- I just don't think he's going to have an impact for us on his rookie contract, but potential keeps him in top 12
13. Bird- He's earned being higher than Yabs and will be if back on 2nd two-way, but worried he gets stolen by another team
14. Morris- With Hayward, Kyrie, Theis and Williams getting into Brad's rotations I think Mook gets squeezed out
15. Allen- Outshined by Bird, hasn't shown much in SL, not a good sign
16. Wannamaker- Could be this year's Daniel Theis, but more likely just a Shane Larkin replacement
17. Nader- He missed FOUR free throws in a row
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#9 » by Moose23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:51 am

I like Tatum, but some of you all are crazy.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#10 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

Protecting for this season and assuming Hayward is 100% with no drop off. Ditto Kyrie. Expecting Horford to slip a little. Tatum, Rozier and Brown to leaps forward. Baynes to take and make a lot of 3s. Williams to half seconds half of season impact.

1. Kyrie
2. Tatum
3. Hayward
4. Horford
5. Brown
6. Rozier
7. Morris
8. Baynes
9. Smart
10. Theis
11. Semi
12. Williams
13. Yabs
14. Wanamaker
15. Bird
16. Nader
17. Allen
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,271

Post#11 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:36 am

Duke4life831 wrote:1. Kyrie
2. Hayward
gap
3. Horford
4. Tatum
5. Brown
gap
6. Smart
7. Baynes
8. Rozier
9. Morris
10. Theis
11. Williams

The only part I felt iffy on was Horford over Tatum. I think at the start of the year Horford will still be better than Tatum. But I wouldnt be shocked at all if by the year's end Tatum surpasses him.

And if Hayward can return to Hayward prior injury, I think some of you are going to be in awe of just how good this dude really is. He is a top 15-20 player in the league and I have him right there with Butler and PG13.

Im looking forward to

Kyrie vs Steph
Brown vs Klay
Hayward vs KD
Tatum vs Green
Horford vs Boogie

This is the order I would go as well but might sneak Theis in above Morris and Ojeleye above Williams
Sign here
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#12 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am

sam_I_am wrote:Protecting for this season and assuming Hayward is 100% with no drop off. Ditto Kyrie. Expecting Horford to slip a little. Tatum, Rozier and Brown to leaps forward. Baynes to take and make a lot of 3s. Williams to half seconds half of season impact.

1. Kyrie
2. Tatum
3. Hayward
4. Horford
5. Brown
6. Rozier
7. Morris
8. Baynes
9. Smart
10. Theis
11. Semi
12. Williams
13. Yabs
14. Wanamaker
15. Bird
16. Nader
17. Allen

Bravo for being the first in this thread to rank Hayward ahead of Horford. I think Gordon is still underestimated in Boston--if he is healthy. You're a bigger fan of Morris's game than I am. I might put Wanamaker ahead of Williams and Yabs, and Bird ahead of Yabs.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#13 » by Tiny ball » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

2. Hayward
gap
3. Horford
4. Tatum
5. Brown
gap
6. Smart
7. Baynes
8. Rozier
9. Morris
10. Theis
11. Williams

Im looking forward to

Kyrie vs Steph
Brown vs Klay
Hayward vs KD
Tatum vs Green
Horford vs Boogie

He is or was so much better than Butler.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#14 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
2. Hayward
gap
3. Horford
4. Tatum
5. Brown
gap
6. Smart
7. Baynes
8. Rozier
9. Morris
10. Theis
11. Williams

Im looking forward to

Kyrie vs Steph
Brown vs Klay
Hayward vs KD
Tatum vs Green
Horford vs Boogie

He is or was so much better than Butler.

Ah, sorry, I missed your props to Hayward. I wouldn't be surprised if Tatum comes out more aggressive, stronger, and better at holding onto the ball with his drives this year. If he indeed does all that and Hayward of course is coming off a year away, Tatum could start stronger than Gordon and then just keep on going with that. But I think they and Kyrie are in a top tier together. Horford is after them. Then it is down to Brown, etc.
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Post#15 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Hayward still underrated it seems. Dude played out of his mind his last playoff run. Assuming he's back healthy, I think he's unquestionably #2 behind Kyrie (just talking best players for this upcoming season, not value). For top 5 I'd go:

1. Kyrie
2. Hayward
3. Tatum
4. Horford
5. Brown

Just goes to show how stacked we are... Next seasons gonna be FUN.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#16 » by Afam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 pm

1 - Kyrie Irving. He is a star. People forget how good he is. An NBA Champion, Great scorer etc.

- 2 Jayson Tatum

3 - Gordon Hayward.

4- Al Horford.

5- Jaylen Brown. He has the chance to be 3 if he full reaches his potential.

6- Terry Rozier

7- Marcus Smart if he is still on the team

8 - Marcus Morris

9 - Semi Ojeleye

10 - Aaron Baynes

11- Daniel Theis

12 - Guerschon Yabusele

13 - Robert Williams

14 . Brad Wanamaker

Robert Williams has a chance to be in the 7 to 8 range if he reaches his potential. I have him being a better version of deandre jordan. A good to above average mid range jump shooter, can rebound, and block shots. He is already addressing his weaknesses. He said so himself. He is going to be a good player.
Afam
RealGM

Post#17 » by Afam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

This how good he is.

Larry Legend 33
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,239

Post#18 » by Larry Legend 33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Moose23 wrote:I like Tatum, but some of you all are crazy.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I think some people are ranking the players by long-term or trade value. Would explain how someone could have Tatum #1 and Horford #5. But yeah, the results on the court don't support that ranking YET.
Afam
RealGM

Post#19 » by Afam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Tatum has the chance to be a very good player. He has the potential to be the second or third best player on the celtics after Kyrie Irving. He has star potential, but it is up to him to reach it.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#20 » by Jammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Ranking on basis of Talent

1. Jayson Tatum (will be one of 10 best players in League within 5 years)
2. Kyrie Irving
3. Gordon Hayward (might have been higher if not for injury)
4. Al Horford
5. Jaylen Brown
6. Terry Rozier
7. Marcus Morris
8. Daniel Theis
9. Marcus Smart
10. Jabari Bird (Two Way Contract)
11. Aron Baynes
12. Robert Williams III
13. Brad Wanamaker
14. Semi Ojeleye
15. Guershon Yabusele (please don't exercise his 2020 season option)
16. Abdel Nader
17. Kadeem Allen (Two Way Contract)

Return to Boston Celtics