ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart free agency Take 2. "He works hard for the money" Agrees to 4 year 52$ million deal page 32

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Re: Marcus Smart free agency Take 2. "He works hard for the money" 

Post#321 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Roddy wrote:Sacramento doing some deals.

Read on Twitter

Sacramento definitely setting up another move. Only the Kings knows what that is about. This trade alone makes no sense

Weird that they are adding another big... They got like 5-6...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#322 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sacramento definitely setting up another move. Only the Kings knows what that is about. This trade alone makes no sense

They get more cap space (probably absorbing a contract coming for picks) and a 2nd.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#323 » by Roddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Read on Twitter

WCS / Koufos / Davis
Randolph / Giles / Labissiere / Bagley

The moves puts the Kings $20.5 million under the salary cap. Temple is due $8 million this season, McLemore is owed $5.5 million and Davis is due $1.5 million. All three players are in the final year of their contracts.

The Kings could use that cap space to take on a big contract in a trade or make a play for one of the remaining top restricted free agents, among them Houston Rockets center Clint Capela, Cleveland Cavaliers forward Rodney Hood and Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart.

The Kings have 14 guaranteed contracts, leaving one available spot.

I doubt they will keep 7 big men.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#324 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Roddy wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Sacramento definitely setting up another move. Only the Kings knows what that is about. This trade alone makes no sense

WCS / Koufos / Davis

The moves puts the Kings $20.5 million under the salary cap. Temple is due $8 million this season, McLemore is owed $5.5 million and Davis is due $1.5 million. All three players are in the final year of their contracts.

The Kings could use that cap space to take on a big contract in a trade or make a play for one of the remaining top restricted free agents, among them Houston Rockets center Clint Capela, Cleveland Cavaliers forward Rodney Hood and Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart.

Yet the only one on that list you would give 20 million to is Capela... a Center.

Maybe they're looking to sign both Smart and Hood?
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#325 » by Roddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:11 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

WCS / Koufos / Davis

Yet the only one on that list you would that list is Capela... a Center.

The only players on their actual roster who made at least one 3pts/game are Bogdanovic (1,7), Hield (2,2) and...that's it.
They need Hood more than they need Smart...but you are right they could sign both with the $20.5 million under the cap.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#326 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Smart's agent is standing in a Jack In The Box and not leaving until he gets the pizza he wants. Smart's agent is in a Hyundai dealership and is waiting to get delivery of a Corvette. Smart's agent is annoying everyone, and won't stop until he gets a $75million contract.

Another idea, let Smart shoot the ball to see how much money he gets. 10 shots, a million a shot. He would be making one or two million.

Hysterical take.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#327 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Could be a straight trade - they get back Mclemore as a back-up shooting guard, and Davis is a nice big man prospect. Could let them deal Koufos and/or WCS. Also gives them the flexibility to absorb salary, either Dennis Schroeder or Carmelo/picks.

They could funnel 20 million to Rodney Hood, but it would be a ridiculous overpay.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#328 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Roddy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
WCS / Koufos / Davis

Yet the only one on that list you would that list is Capela... a Center.

The only players on their actual roster who made at least one 3pts/game are Bogdanovic (1,7), Hield (2,2) and...that's it.
They need Hood more than they need Smart...but you are right they could sign both with the $20.5 million under the cap.

Things have slowed down so much they don't lose much by trying--but I assume they'd end up offering too little for either of them with that approach.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#329 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 pm

According to Kevin O'Connor, the Kings may've added the cap space to take on Ryan Anderson's contract and allow Melo to go to Houston. Obviously, SAC would be compensated if so.
LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#330 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 pm

The Anderson move makes sense for the Kings.. They get an extra 1st and an extra big for their rotation.. They can then start WCS at PG and turn him into the next Lonzo Ball
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#331 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Brisbane_Celtic
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#332 » by Brisbane_Celtic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:According to Kevin O'Connor, the Kings may've added the cap space to take on Ryan Anderson's contract and allow Melo to go to Houston. Obviously, SAC would be compensated if so.

Exactly the move I want to I see. Cant wait to see Anderson and Randolph play ahead of Bagley and Skal.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#333 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Brisbane_Celtic wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:According to Kevin O'Connor, the Kings may've added the cap space to take on Ryan Anderson's contract and allow Melo to go to Houston. Obviously, SAC would be compensated if so.

Exactly the move I want to I see. Cant wait to see Anderson and Randolph play ahead of Bagley and Skal.

Everyone is guessing. No one knows.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#334 » by rickrolled » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 pm

OKC gets: Mason, Onuaku, Qi

HOU gets: Anthony

SAC gets: Anderson, HOU 1st, OKC 1st

Don't understand what the Rockets have done so far, lost players and not replaced them with anyone. Would require giving up a first basically for washed up Melo, and get rid of Anderson and depth. Just wait till he gets waived and then sign him while keeping Anderson and your pick.
Unless they're afraid he signs with another team, which is laughable.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#335 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
cl2117 wrote:I disagree. I think the QO is a really solid option for the Celtics, while making less sense for Smart.

If Smart is back on the QO, Ainge can stay below the lux tax and get to bring back their 6th man (avoiding repeater tax will be BIG down the line). Then we just try this all again next summer (now with the possibility that Smart just walks).

It makes less sense for Smart given that he'd be at risk for injury (especially with the way he plays) and might end up in the same spot next year with similar offers so he just delayed the inevitable.

Agreed. The absolute best case scenario is Smart back on the QO and then he leaves after this coming season. There are too many better players that need to be paid and too many future lottery picks to come to be signing mid-tier guys like Smart to long deals. If you can get him for a year at the QO that's amazing and another win for Ainge. Hopefully they can do the same thing with Rozier next year.

TRo too? You guys are cold! I'm thinking TRo will be smarter than Smart and take Danny's extension offer this fall. (And the C's not bidding against themselves in throwing money at Smart this summer will help to land TRo reasonably this fall.)

My ideal roster is 3-4 max contract guys and then 11 guys on rookie deals and minimum/exception deals. Rozier is nice, but if he can be had for the QO for a year I'll gladly watch him walk out the door after. I really hope there isn't some extension unless it's well-below market.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#336 » by KumaJG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm

This is taking longer than it needs to.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,370

Post#337 » by K For Three » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 am

Why won't anything happen!!!!!!

:starwars :curse: :cry: :devil: :vent: :angry: :no: :upset: :uhoh: :falloff:
Sibelius
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#338 » by Sibelius » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 am

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:
Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Smart's agent is standing in a Jack In The Box and not leaving until he gets the pizza he wants. Smart's agent is in a Hyundai dealership and is waiting to get delivery of a Corvette. Smart's agent is annoying everyone, and won't stop until he gets a $75million contract.

Another idea, let Smart shoot the ball to see how much money he gets. 10 shots, a million a shot. He would be making one or two million.

Hysterical take.

Hysterically funny you mean? Love the idea of having him shoot for his contract, could give him 20 shots, he might beat the QO :lol:
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#339 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 am

Sibelius wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:

Hysterical take.

Hysterically funny you mean? Love the idea of having him shoot for his contract, could give him 20 shots, he might beat the QO :lol:

I meant funny.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,806

Post#340 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Pretty shocked at how long this is taking. I can't understand what they could possibly be waiting for..and by they I mean Smart's camp. Money is dry around the league and most places that could offer you a bit more will offer you a shot at the lottery instead of a shot at the finals..what thhe hell is this kid hoping for right now? Surely with the limited options you would come back and ask if Danny would 4/44 you and give you that Exum deal or just sign the QO and try again next year.

I'm hip. What is this Kid waiting for?
Smart is dragging this on, way too long.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics