ImageImageImage

Marcus Smart free agency Take 2. "He works hard for the money" Agrees to 4 year 52$ million deal page 32

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,151

Re: Marcus Smart free agency Take 2. "He works hard for the money" 

Post#301 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 am

Pretty shocked at how long this is taking. I can't understand what they could possibly be waiting for..and by they I mean Smart's camp. Money is dry around the league and most places that could offer you a bit more will offer you a shot at the lottery instead of a shot at the finals..what thhe hell is this kid hoping for right now? Surely with the limited options you would come back and ask if Danny would 4/44 you and give you that Exum deal or just sign the QO and try again next year.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#302 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Pretty shocked at how long this is taking. I can't understand what they could possibly be waiting for..and by they I mean Smart's camp. Money is dry around the league and most places that could offer you a bit more will offer you a shot at the lottery instead of a shot at the finals..what thhe hell is this kid hoping for right now? Surely with the limited options you would come back and ask if Danny would 4/44 you and give you that Exum deal or just sign the QO and try again next year.

The Celtics may be willing to "bid against themselves" by offering a 1-year deal that's better than the QO. But if they do that they're basically doing Smart a favor, so he can wait until they know how much they feel they can afford.

If I were Ainge I'd probably offer a 1+1 at or around the QO number. Basically, that amounts to giving Smart a little insurance policy against a career-ending injury, since otherwise he almost surely won't want to exercise the second-year option.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#303 » by cl2117 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Pretty shocked at how long this is taking. I can't understand what they could possibly be waiting for..and by they I mean Smart's camp. Money is dry around the league and most places that could offer you a bit more will offer you a shot at the lottery instead of a shot at the finals..what thhe hell is this kid hoping for right now? Surely with the limited options you would come back and ask if Danny would 4/44 you and give you that Exum deal or just sign the QO and try again next year.

It's because there is literally no benefit for Smart in signing the QO until the last possible moment. There is no way Ainge pulls the QO and who knows what will happen in the next couple weeks. There'll be S&T possibilities all throughout the summer and there's still the Kings who have cap space and Vlade at the helm, so who knows.

Other than ending the whole saga, there is no benefit to signing the QO until he absolutely has to.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#304 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:36 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:

The Celtics may be willing to "bid against themselves" by offering a 1-year deal that's better than the QO. But if they do that they're basically doing Smart a favor, so he can wait until they know how much they feel they can afford.

If I were Ainge I'd probably offer a 1+1 at or around the QO number. Basically, that amounts to giving Smart a little insurance policy against a career-ending injury, since otherwise he almost surely won't want to exercise the second-year option.

Going above the QO would also make Smart's deal tradeable.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#305 » by klemen4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:36 am

We will agree on a deal imo being
- 2 years no options
- 3 or 4 years with last year being player option

No point for QO really, for both sites.

I know you guys already made calculations but:
- If Nader is cut and stretched and Bird signed to minimum 1.3 million what is left for Smart for us to stay under tax line???
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#306 » by cl2117 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am

klemen4 wrote:We will agree on a deal imo being
- 2 years no options

I disagree. I think the QO is a really solid option for the Celtics, while making less sense for Smart.

If Smart is back on the QO, Ainge can stay below the lux tax and get to bring back their 6th man (avoiding repeater tax will be BIG down the line). Then we just try this all again next summer (now with the possibility that Smart just walks).

It makes less sense for Smart given that he'd be at risk for injury (especially with the way he plays) and might end up in the same spot next year with similar offers so he just delayed the inevitable.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#307 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am

I hope he was thrifty his first four years. I get a chuckle out of his agent. I'm paraphrasing a comment happy made. he said something to the effect of, 'It's not like we're asking for a ton of money.' I just shook my head. There's just not a clue between both guys. So onto some tax implications. Is Marcus aware they don't want to pay the tax this year? Is he aware of his surroundings outside of himself? N isn't that tax somewhere in upwards of 10's of millions should they add another 10 or so million to their payroll?

How bout this since I'm feeling charitable this morning and I've been bashing him too long. 4 year deal, 7 million first two years, 11 million years 3 and 4 for a total of 4 years 35 million. N that's me being so charitable.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#308 » by klemen4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

Finally, what about Boston becoming a tax payer this coming season? With just over $114 million in committed salary, the Celtics sit just about $9.5 million under the tax. Assuming they work out a new contract with Smart that isn’t Smart simply signing his qualifying offer, they’ll be over. Add a new deal for Bird, and they’re even further over. This isn’t a huge concern, as the more punitive repeater tax wouldn’t kick in for years. And Boston ownership has repeatedly said they’ll pay the tax for a title contender.

From Smitty article.

So if Bird replaces Nader(cut and stretched) Smart salary must start at around 9.3 million for Celtics to stay under tax...if my calculation is right.

And raises are 8% right

9.3mill
10.0mill
10.8mill

2 year 20 million
3 years 30 million

Would be ok for Celtics.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#309 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 pm

cl2117 wrote:

It's because there is literally no benefit for Smart in signing the QO until the last possible moment. There is no way Ainge pulls the QO and who knows what will happen in the next couple weeks. There'll be S&T possibilities all throughout the summer and there's still the Kings who have cap space and Vlade at the helm, so who knows.

Other than ending the whole saga, there is no benefit to signing the QO until he absolutely has to.

There is definitely some risk for Smart in not having a signed contract for next year. Remember, Brandon Knight tore his ACL last summer and was out for the whole year. Freak injuries can happen during the offseason. Not sure if Happy Walters has taken an insurance policy out on Smart's behalf over the next 4 months, but it would be very wise if he did so.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#310 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Like Smart through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

When Smart's free agency began, Dirk Benedict wasn't playing Face on The A-Team.

When Smart's free agency began, Wilt was signing with San Diego?

When Smart's free agency began, Apollo 11 was still sitting on the launchpad.

When Smart's free agency began, the NBA had introduced the shot clock the season before.

Smart's agent is standing in a Jack In The Box and not leaving until he gets the pizza he wants. Smart's agent is in a Hyundai dealership and is waiting to get delivery of a Corvette. Smart's agent is annoying everyone, and won't stop until he gets a $75million contract.

That is enough. 24 hours, take the QO, or it's gone.

Another idea, let Smart shoot the ball to see how much money he gets. 10 shots, a million a shot. He would be making one or two million next season.

Don't let Smart "McIlvaine" the Celtics. Don't make the 11th most important player one of the top four for money.

12th most important, forgot to count Bird.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#311 » by jmr07019 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:53 pm

cl2117 wrote:

Its like a Marcus Smart 3 point attempt. Sure its a low percentage play but you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
Show Love Spread Love
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#312 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

The issue is simple: are the Celtics planning on having a roster that can challenge Golden State for multiple years or will ownership go the cheap route? If Smart plays for the QO he's as good as gone at the end of next year and everyone knows it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#313 » by OldCeltics » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm

He's worth 5-7 million, no other team will pay more for a role player shooting 35%
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#314 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The issue is simple: are the Celtics planning on having a roster that can challenge Golden State for multiple years or will ownership go the cheap route? If Smart plays for the QO he's as good as gone at the end of next year and everyone knows it.

He'd presumably do that after turning down a longer offer from the C's not to his liking. If he wants to leave the C's after insisting on the QO at this point, that'd be on him, not the Celtics.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#315 » by Roddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Sacramento doing some deals.

Read on Twitter
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#316 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 pm

cl2117 wrote:
- 2 years no options

I disagree. I think the QO is a really solid option for the Celtics, while making less sense for Smart.

If Smart is back on the QO, Ainge can stay below the lux tax and get to bring back their 6th man (avoiding repeater tax will be BIG down the line). Then we just try this all again next summer (now with the possibility that Smart just walks).

It makes less sense for Smart given that he'd be at risk for injury (especially with the way he plays) and might end up in the same spot next year with similar offers so he just delayed the inevitable.

Agreed. The absolute best case scenario is Smart back on the QO and then he leaves after this coming season. There are too many better players that need to be paid and too many future lottery picks to come to be signing mid-tier guys like Smart to long deals. If you can get him for a year at the QO that's amazing and another win for Ainge. Hopefully they can do the same thing with Rozier next year.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#317 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
- 2 years no options

Agreed. The absolute best case scenario is Smart back on the QO and then he leaves after this coming season. There are too many better players that need to be paid and too many future lottery picks to come to be signing mid-tier guys like Smart to long deals. If you can get him for a year at the QO that's amazing and another win for Ainge. Hopefully they can do the same thing with Rozier next year.

TRo too? You guys are cold! I'm thinking TRo will be smarter than Smart and take Danny's extension offer this fall. (And the C's not bidding against themselves in throwing money at Smart this summer will help to land TRo reasonably this fall.)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,926

Post#318 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Roddy wrote:Sacramento doing some deals.

Read on Twitter

Sacramento definitely setting up another move. Only the Kings knows what that is about. This trade alone makes no sense
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#319 » by rickrolled » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Roddy wrote:Sacramento doing some deals.

Read on Twitter

Sacramento definitely setting up another move. Only the Kings knows what that is about. This trade alone makes no sense

Temple makes 8 million, Davis/Mclemore combine for ~7 million, the cash sent back is interesting part here, probably not savings think its just them adding depth. Im surprised Memphis gave up Davis just like that.

McLemore and Davis cant be aggregated in trades for 2 Months. But the cash will count against their cap iinm.
greenpierce
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Post#320 » by greenpierce » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Unfortunately for Smart, unless he can find someone else to give him the money, its a QO for him. He was already offered the extension, i.e. Ainge's "best offer", which he rejected last fall. Smart still gets a raise, but it's not the offer he was hoping for. This is the price of being on an elite team; some guys need to make sacrifices. Unfortunately, this will be his. In the near future, Horford will have to decide if he got paid enough from his career to stay on this team, or leave to make way for Brown and Tatum. (And who knows if Brown even gets the Max himself.)

Return to Boston Celtics